Impressions of Anthem

Peardrop

Hello all,

We are on board Anthem at present, and I was interested to see how this class of ship compares to our favourite Freedom class. Our initial impressions are very favourable and she is an extremely beautiful, modern and stylish ship, well laid out with some excellent features.

The dynamic dining has been a big plus for us, as I find myself tiring of the MDR after a few nights, so the change of venues suits us very nicely indeed. The restaurants themselves are very beautiful.

The Grande

cd30cf5a46d51ac25c7f85329b3e1560.jpgd73be86eeef6f14a2b4582aea7dc85d0.jpg

Silk

9abc844e893968ad941310bb6aec98cb.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

The Royal Esplanade is nice, and it connects the theatre and the Two70 venue very nicely as they are at separate ends of the ship. There is much more emphasis on shops rather than bars, so it feels more like a mini shopping mall with some food and drink venues, rather than an entertainment hub, however it is very stylish. The artwork on the ship is truly beautiful and very creative.

eab3a65ae4f188e07087ddbb11a691cc.jpg

1db79eb822aae81b91f964ce95e58e4f.jpg

75b15b26e4568700d968a46764f0f3ee.jpg

Our balcony stateroom is very spacious and comfortable.

b72ea5b522d73c130f517e508a8de462.jpg

The bionic bar looks fun if somewhat gimmicky, but I can't really comment because it hasn't worked yet on this trip, despite frequent visits by various engineers! It looks good though!

132ad15f4005dfe7f585775c73db1e7f.jpg

The pool deck and SeaPlex areas are wonderful, although the dreary weather means that they aren't really done any justice in my pictures!

0f5d857ae9dc46e269c969a2d6d1a25a.jpg

a32283c310ef44903cbb9f37cf8e440e.jpg

46e6341ff3ffbf3637dfd7f7ab6b7562.jpg

9f3cbc9e597b7662fb44b3aded8e6519.jpg

We have the premium drink package and I'm pleased to say the drinks are generous and strong, however the cocktail list is limited (compared to FoS in August) and the bars are woefully understaffed. We haven't encountered any roaming waitstaff so be prepared to queue (often for some time) when you want a drink.

On that subject, one thing we have noticed is that the crew are for the most part very efficient, but they lack the friendliness and wow factor of other ships. I wonder if they are overstretched, as for example in the windjammer there have been many uncleared tables and just one frantic staff member trying to clear up, whilst fetching drinks and replenishing items at the counters. Service has also been slow and somewhat lacklustre in the restaurants, and it's obvious that the staff are working hard, they just appear to have so much to do that there is little time for the niceties.

Overall we have enjoyed our time onboard and whilst Indy and Freedom perhaps remain or favourites, there is no doubt that the Anthem class of ship is stunning and I wouldn't hesitate to return, perhaps in a year or so's time when some of the 'teething problems' have been worked out.

We have the premium drink package and I'm pleased to say the drinks are generous and strong, however the cocktail list is limited (compared to FoS in August) and the bars are woefully understaffed. We haven't encountered any roaming waitstaff so be prepared to queue (often for some time) when you want a drink.

On that subject, one thing we have noticed is that the crew are for the most part very efficient, but they lack the friendliness and wow factor of other ships. I wonder if they are overstretched, as for example in the windjammer there have been many uncleared tables and just one frantic staff member trying to clear up, whilst fetching drinks and replenishing items at the counters. Service has also been slow and somewhat lacklustre in the restaurants, and it's obvious that the staff are working hard, they just appear to have so much to do that there is little time for the niceties.

It sounds like Royal Caribbean hasn't learned from their Quantum experience. A common complaint the first few months was that the ship was understaffed, especially when it came to wait staff. They added staff and the complaints dropped. Maybe they thought they could get away with it a second time.

Peardrop, THANK YOU THANK YOU THANK YOU!!! I board Anthem in 27 days. She looks amazing. I'm at the can't get enough of her stage. Reading and rereading reviews. Searching for every picture and post about her. LOL!!! This was a great surprise!!

I have one question. My main concern is the wardrobe cabinet in the cabin. Did you find it to have ample space? It seems so tiny. What are your thoughts on this? Do you mind posting a pic with your clothes hanging in it? My last 3 cruises have been on Carnival where I had 3 closets plus a closet of shelves. Plenty of storage space. So I'm just a little concerned about the storage space on the Anthem.

Thanks again for the pics and review. Love it!!!

Here are some pictures for you! There is not much in our wardrobes as we are only on board for 3 nights [emoji3] There is a good amount of wardrobe space plus cupboards above the bed, and a set of drawers (the mini bar is located in the large right hand cupboard of this unit). There is also a large space under the bed for storage of luggage etc

42ab38474651ef3d7814f3e98d37e852.jpg

96230aca6015d6e5accfcea85e0813e0.jpg

fc9f9ed19ea820e37ab60546b800ece3.jpg

79a157a3d53b0295a7ccd3f1d246e08c.jpg

Overall we have enjoyed our time onboard and whilst Indy and Freedom perhaps remain or favourites, there is no doubt that the Anthem class of ship is stunning and I wouldn't hesitate to return, perhaps in a year or so's time when some of the 'teething problems' have been worked out.

That's really a shame - I thought they'd learn from the whole Quantum fiasco. Hopefully the problem gets fixed over time. Anyway, thanks for the photos and review!

Edited by OfTheSeasCruiser

Thank you! Oh, no on closet space. I thought that 2nd cabinet had 2 hanging bars. Top and bottom. One is going to make this a tight squeeze with clothes for 3 people!

Actually there is a second hanging rail in the first wardrobe, it's just hidden by the bottom of my clothes. There is way more closet space in this cabin but it's cleverly designed to be quite discreet.

Actually there is a second hanging rail in the first wardrobe, it's just hidden by the bottom of my clothes. There is way more closet space in this cabin but it's cleverly designed to be quite discreet.

Oh, good! Thank you. Was counting on husband getting one bar and nephew the other!

How are the coolers in the cabins. Do they keep things colder than the coolers on other ships? Thanks so much.

Hi Patti, we were on the Anthem in June and found the fridges to be about the same temp as on other ships. We loved Anthem and had a great cruise.

What category of cabin is this....looks a bit cramped...especially having the closet "right" next to the bed...doesn't appear to have two nightstands :confused:

We have an obstructed balcony (6628) and I've found it very comfortable and spacious. Yes there are 2 nightstands, the only thing I have found a little snug is getting round the bed where the curtain is, it's almost impossible to get into that side of the bed without inadvertently pulling the curtain open [emoji4]

Hi Patti, we were on the Anthem in June and found the fridges to be about the same temp as on other ships. We loved Anthem and had a great cruise.

Thanks for the info. When we did our Quantum b2b, we thought that the coolers were much colder. Since we have to keep unopened insulin cold, we are hoping that on our b2b2b next April, the coolers on Anthem will do this eliminating my request for a medical refrigerator.