NCL Carry on Luggage Size

mickeychicky

Finally broke down and bought a large piece of luggage for cruising and want to actually carry it on. Hoping now it will fit through the xray machine at the security check point. It measures:

29 1/4" H

18 1/2" L

14" W

Has anyone carried on the 28" sized luggage on Norwegian and it go thru the machine ok?

Don't know if port of departure matters; it's Tampa. No flying.

Thank you.

18x14 ought to be fine, I wouldn't go any bigger though. It has to fit through a typical size xray machine.

If you're really nervous about the size, take it (empty) to your county courthouse at a non-busy time and explain your concern.

Have you had trouble receiving your bags before? It just seems it would be very awkward for you lugging a huge suitcase around with you! 😕

I generally bring one of small ones that fit in aeroplanes cabins that have the 4 wheels, really manoeuvrable that fits neatly under most tables.

Now I'm a really good packer and have used only this case for 7 day vacations and can fit day/evening wear in it. It would definitely have enough space to fit that nights clothes, shoes, makeup, toiletries, charges, I pads, etc.

It definitely fits the xray m/c as I use it all the time. Then if your main bag was delayed for whatever ever you still have a change of etc.

I have travelled with many over packers, where I often end up having to help them sclep their heavy cases all over the place, seriously it is not fun 😠. If you can anyway manage a smaller bag I would recommend it. Good luck which ever you decide.

You should be ok. My wife and I carried our large rolling duffle bags on the Pearl in Seattle. No issues.

All bags are x-rayed before they get on the ship, regardless if you carry them on or not. So the x-ray machines are large enough to handle the large bags.

Have you had trouble receiving your bags before? It just seems it would be very awkward for you lugging a huge suitcase around with you!

I generally bring one of small ones that fit in aeroplanes cabins that have the 4 wheels, really manoeuvrable that fits neatly under most tables.

Now I'm a really good packer and have used only this case for 7 day vacations and can fit day/evening wear in it. It would definitely have enough space to fit that nights clothes, shoes, makeup, toiletries, charges, I pads, etc.

It definitely fits the xray m/c as I use it all the time. Then if your main bag was delayed for whatever ever you still have a change of etc.

I have travelled with many over packers, where I often end up having to help them sclep their heavy cases all over the place, seriously it is not fun . If you can anyway manage a smaller bag I would recommend it. Good luck which ever you decide.

I haven't an issue with getting the checked luggage delivered - I just don't like the idea of it sitting in the hallway not knowing when its getting delivered or how long it will sit there. An OCD thing I guess.

Meh. Valuables and swim trunks in a mid-size backpack, everything else in the checked rollerbag. Get to enjoy hassle free boarding and ship exploring, changing into swim trunks and sitting at the pool while others fight with their bags. :D

Can't speak for Tampa, but for NYC port - if it's not in shape of a duffel bag (no matter the size, wheeled or not), anything else over 22-24inch gets checked in (depending on how finicky the port workers /security are). So pretty much can carry-on a 30 inch wheeled duffel but not a 26 inch suitcase/ spinner over there.

Sent from my SM-N910T3 using Tapatalk

I haven't an issue with getting the checked luggage delivered - I just don't like the idea of it sitting in the hallway not knowing when its getting delivered or how long it will sit there. An OCD thing I guess.

Just don't keep your valuables in it. It will be fine. If this was a huge concern on cruise ships then they would have other methods in place. I definitely would not want to lug my luggage around.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Pulling a 60 or 70+ lbs. roller or spinner as carry-on is no fun ... lifting it onto the x-ray machine's, up the gangways & thru the hallways ;) -

It's rare & uncommon (seldom) that checked luggage are lost, unless it's sidetracked to the "naughty" room for whatever reasons - just lock it or use a colored zip-tie for casual security. Our steward was so good that she knocked on our door when our last suitcase came, knowing that we're inside & already took the 1st. one after coming back from the mandatory fire drill.

Keep all the "valuables" on a smaller carry-on or backpack, with a quick change of clothes & swimwear, along with essentials, etc. & let the crew do their amazing delivery.

On a related note, for a typical 7 to 10 nights tropical sailing, one 25" roller per person should be more than enough - new cruisers tend to over-pack unless you are sharing this 28" one between 2 people. We cruise usually with a 22" expandable carry-on ** each (and, flew TPAC for 2 weeks doing Asia in September ... traveling light & did 1 quick load of laundry)

** Costco's private label, Kirkland Signature 22" (roller) luggage is one of the best kept secrets among the frequent flyer community, expandable & sturdy, built to last & as good as that Tumi selling for 4 times more - sold online & usually at local warehouse locations - $99 plus tax, and a solid warranty (try that with AT or Samsonite) & replaceable wheels/parts, etc.

Edited by mking8288

I certainly know of people who have had valuables removed from their bags in air ports. So anything valuable carry with you. Even so one time I forgot & left my ipad in my checked luggage, it was still in my case when it was delivered to my cabin. I wouldn't purposely leave valuables in my case, but even if you do doesn't automatically mean they will be stolen.

I personally haven't been told by anyone that their case has been stolen or items taken from their cases. I've heard of cases being damaged or delayed or one occasion left at port, but not stolen.

If you think about it and you have all your valuables with you what's left in your case! Shoes or clothes! Strangers walking down the corridors won't know what type or size your clothes are! Why would you think anyone would steal your clothes. Sure there will always be the odd opportunist thief about but would they really steal someone's clothes, seems a big risk for small gain, they have to get them back off of the boat, the steward would have a record of delivering the case. If there were thief's about more likely to be going for unattended ipads or kindles up on deck then whole suitcases!

If people cases were being stolen or items removed from the cases it would be all over this website.

I'm just trying to show you the risk of having your case stolen on board is pretty small, after all thousands upon thousands of people check in their luggage each week.

Why don't you do an experiment this trip, bring on your big bag with you but check in a smaller bag and see what happens, if you get your small bag delivered to your room without issue then the next cruise you take try checking your big bag and bringing on small bag. I hope this was helpful and gives you something to think about.

I think some of you are mis-reading the OP's dimensions. She is using a 29 inch suitcase, which is a very big one. Aside from the fact that you are lugging a huge bag, there are times when you are allowed to board the ship but not go to your room yet. Do you really want to be dragging a huge suitcase with you? I don't take bags that are quite that big any more because when you fill them they are too heavy for flying, but I use the 26 inch, so send that to my room on the ship, but pack a few things I might want, like a bathing suit and maybe dinner clothes for the first night, in a small carry-on or tote bag.

The xray machines will handle roll aboard size luggage, not large/oversize suite cases. You will jam up the line, delay others and end up checking it anyway. First night allows any clothes in the dining rooms, so no change is required. We have received luggage anywhere from 3 pm to 8 pm. You don't have to wait in your room for it and it is safe in the hallway unless you put jewelry and other valuables in it.

I think some of you are mis-reading the OP's dimensions. She is using a 29 inch suitcase, which is a very big one. Aside from the fact that you are lugging a huge bag, there are times when you are allowed to board the ship but not go to your room yet. Do you really want to be dragging a huge suitcase with you? I don't take bags that are quite that big any more because when you fill them they are too heavy for flying, but I use the 26 inch, so send that to my room on the ship, but pack a few things I might want, like a bathing suit and maybe dinner clothes for the first night, in a small carry-on or tote bag.

Hopefully, Tampa will allowed them to take luggage (there's different types of luggage like regular suitcases, spinners, duffel bag) and cabin is ready as they start calling board groups. If they tell OP to check-in the luggage because of the 29 inch size; then for the next trip, I suggest a 22in wheeled carry-on and a large backpack / crossbody bag / tote bag (whatever is your preference that makes you comfortable - just need one of them) to split up the weight.

Sent from my SM-N910T3 using Tapatalk

• 2 weeks later...

I'm going on my first cruise ever in a few days so I am by no means a pro and cannot say whether your luggage will fit through the scanner, but I can relate to the OCD. Some people think logically and rationally, while some of us are over-thinkers and always with multiple what ifs. In my preparation and planning I have had multiple thoughts about my luggage sitting outside my door on embarkation day as well as the night before debarking (and its not just about theft).

My solution was to put a lock on my luggage... it put my racing mind at ease. Its a TSA approved lock and I read on the website somewhere that if they need you to open it you have to go to the bowels of the ship to do so, lol, but I don't mind the exercise.... just a thought. Hope it helps:-)

• 2 years later...
I take my bag with me (the 24" size), and just take it to my cabin, put it in an out-of-the-way spot and go to lunch.

That's what I was thinking of doing...even leaving it outside the door until the room is ready. A couple times we had to wait until the evening before our bags made it to our room...gonna try it this way...

Finally broke down and bought a large piece of luggage for cruising and want to actually carry it on. Hoping now it will fit through the xray machine at the security check point. It measures:

29 1/4" H

18 1/2" L

14" W

Thank you.

We have high sierra bags that are slightly smaller than yours and we can carry them on.