MDR or evening in Windjammer?

I read more horror stories about MDR experiences that include forgotten drink orders, late deliveries, wrong orders...tons of time and a sad and frustrating experience. The crew work so hard, too. So I wondered if the evening dinner experience at the Windjammer wouldn't be better. The food is the same...? Is it set up nicely for dinner?

That hasn't been our experiences in the MDR. We eat all our meals even lunch (on sea days) in the MDR. Try it for yourself.

Edited by davekathy

Of late we have been eating in the MDR/MTD, Specialty Restaurants, and the Windjammer(WJ). The menu in the MDR does not spill over to the WJ. Food overall is good to excellent.

I believe that problems in the MDR rarely occur but certainly can. I have returned food for it being cold, overcooked or undercooked. Never something that wasn't immediately dealt with.

To us, the MDR is part of the whole cruise experience. You spend your day in port or doing activities if a sea day, and 'dinner and a show' is a great way to end it. Our family also likes to go out...it's like a treat...which would be the MDR on the ship. The Windjammer is just a self serve buffet. We will probably go on one night but that's because of time (show 5 - 7:30pm and we have young kids so to sit in MDR at 8pm isn't reasonable). I also never trust buffet food as people touch things and put them back , or even just sharing the serving spoons.

Now I haven't cruised on Royal in recent years, but i can't imagine the food is 'bad' as everyone says. i think people are just overly pickly or expecting extravegant food, but in reality, it's hard when there so many people.

We look forward to the MDR...and may even try it for a breakfast or lunch too.

Edited by LuCruise

To us, the MDR is part of the whole cruise experience. You spend your day in port or doing activities if a sea day, and 'dinner and a show' is a great way to end it. Our family also likes to go out...it's like a treat...which would be the MDR on the ship. The Windjammer is just a self serve buffet. We will probably go on one night but that's because of time (show 5 - 7:30pm and we have young kids so to sit in MDR at 8pm isn't reasonable). I also never trust buffet food as people touch things and put them back , or even just sharing the serving spoons.

Now I haven't cruised on Royal in recent years, but i can't imagine the food is 'bad' as everyone says. i think people are just overly pickly or expecting extravegant food, but in reality, it's hard when there so many people.

We look forward to the MDR...and may even try it for a breakfast or lunch too.

I agree I think the food is average ( however, the coastal kitchen on the oasis was extremely good) I have said this before.... It's hard to go to a wedding reception for 400 people and get good chicken, beef or fish. How do you expect it to be amazing when they are cooking for 10 times that amount of people?

Some nights in the MDR we had to wait a bit between courses, but that was because of the adjoining table ordering numerous extras dishes with each course, Grrrrr

In the future, don't sit next to any adjoining tables.

Over the past few cruisers we opt for WJ or Specialty restaurants for dinner. The WJ works for us, there are plenty of options and I like taking as little or much of an item. We then go to specialty restaurants for 4-5 meals. Never had a bad experience in any of the restaurants.

Some nights in the MDR we had to wait a bit between courses, but that was because of the adjoining table ordering numerous extras dishes with each course, Grrrrr

When people order more than one appetizer, the waiter brings all the plates to the dining room at the same time and just keeps it covered to the side until the person is ready to have it served. If you want faster service, make your waiter aware of your desire to rush and they will hurry you through dinner.

When people order more than one appetizer, the waiter brings all the plates to the dining room at the same time and just keeps it covered to the side until the person is ready to have it served. If you want faster service, make your waiter aware of your desire to rush and they will hurry you through dinner.

I agree, nothing wrong with ordering anything you want, service was extremely good on last cruise since most people in our section were eating at WJ or specialty so waiters were not busy.

When people order more than one appetizer, the waiter brings all the plates to the dining room at the same time and just keeps it covered to the side until the person is ready to have it served.

Which side? :confused:

I like both the dining room and the Windjammer for dinner. I can actually say, I've never had a bad meal. Some were just better than others. The way I look at it, I didn't have to cook or serve it, and that makes it taste all the better.....:p;)

I also like the Specialty restaurants on the first night with our BOGO coupon. Love Giovanni's the best.

We cruised mostly on the Grandeur and the Explorer (when it was in NJ). The Grandeur has the best mashed potatoes I've ever eaten.

Gwen :)

That's not been our experience. Usually when we order two appetizers, DW and I get a soup and a salad. In that instance the waitstaff we have usually treat them as separate courses, almost, and give us the soup first and then the salad only after we've finished our soup.

That's not been our experience. Usually when we order two appetizers, DW and I get a soup and a salad. In that instance the waitstaff we have usually treat them as separate courses, almost, and give us the soup first and then the salad only after we've finished our soup.

Right, two separate courses that are retrieved from the kitchen at the same time and the waiter holds it off to the side until you are ready for it. The waiter is not going to the kitchen twice to retrieve the two apps, they come out on the same tray and are held at the waiter's station.

Right, two separate courses that are retrieved from the kitchen at the same time and the waiter holds it off to the side until you are ready for it. The waiter is not going to the kitchen twice to retrieve the two apps, they come out on the same tray and are held at the waiter's station.

Exactly.

Every evening, we dined in the MDR last week. I always ordered soup and salad to start. I was served the soup first and when I finished, the salad was brought immediately from the waitstation by the server. He never went back to the kitchen.

Edited by SteadyBetty

I like both the dining room and the Windjammer for dinner. I can actually say, I've never had a bad meal. Some were just better than others. The way I look at it, I didn't have to cook or serve it, and that makes it taste all the better.....:p;)

Gwen :)

If you don't have to serve it, how do you get your food in the Windjammer? :confused:

We LOVE the MDR. We have gone with family and friends, from toddlers to senior citizens. Some veteran cruisers and some first-timers. They have all LOVED the MDR experience. Don't let the reviews scare you. It's fun..and if it's your first cruise, the cheesy song is always fun. People that have been on numerous cruises...well, it gets old sometimes, but you'll enjoy the MDR.

Last year on the FOS I had late seating so I tried the windjammer for dinner since in was starving at 7:00 [emoji6]

I was disappointed at the choices, they were very minimal. I ended up just making a cheese plate and having my late dinner in the MDR.

Edited by queenschick9b

I just got off Enchantment yesterday.

I decided to forego the MDR in favor of Chops and the WJ. I did go to the MDR for lunch on the sea day and was quite pleased with the Tutti salad and the chicken sliders (I almost asked for a second helping of those).

Skipping the MDR in favor of the WJ for dinner gave me a different cruise experience than the ones in the past, which is what I was looking for. I felt like I had more freedom to make the shows and the movies. And the waitstaff in the WJ gets high marks from me for offering personalized (albeit limited) service.

That being said, I was rather disappointed in the lunch selection in the WJ. It seemed like the best option, which really surprised me, was the cheeseburger and fries. The service was still exceptional.