New to Princess What Do I Need to Know?!

laniriveira

Sailing Star Princess next week. I have cruised with Carnival, NCL and Disney. What info/tips/advice can you share that will help a first time Princess cruiser. Anything done differently on Princess compared to lines I've sailed? Thanks in advance for the help!

Edited by laniriveira

1) No "first to the fun" - your cabin will be ready when you board.

2) You can't make reservations for specialty dining, the sanctuary, etc until you are on the ship.

3) The Future Cruise Deposits cost $100pp and are good for 2 years and can request a 2 year extension. They are fully refundable, if you don't use. OBC ranges from $15-$150 depending on cabin & length of cruise.

4) Coffee card costs $33 for 15 specialty coffees and unlimited brewed coffee, tea, hot chocolate. If you don't use all 15 specialty coffees, you can use on your next cruise (no more brewed:().

5) OBC is stackable, very few restrictions for that.

6) Veterans get OBC ($50-$250) by sending a copy of the DD214 - only need to send it once, it goes on your record.

7) One MDR is usually open for lunch on embarkation day. Don't ask a crew member for directions, they will send you to the buffet. Check the Patter (in your cabin when you board) or just go to the MDRs on 5 & 6 and see which one is open.

There is more!! Others will chime in with the stuff I left out.

2) You can't make reservations for specialty dining, the sanctuary, etc until you are on the ship.

3) The Future Cruise Deposits cost $100pp and are good for 2 years and can request a 2 year extension. They are fully refundable, if you don't use. OBC ranges from $15-$150 depending on cabin & length of cruise.

4) Coffee card costs $33 for 15 specialty coffees and unlimited brewed coffee, tea, hot chocolate. If you don't use all 15 specialty coffees, you can use on your next cruise (no more brewed:().

5) OBC is stackable, very few restrictions for that.

6) Veterans get OBC ($50-$250) by sending a copy of the DD214 - only need to send it once, it goes on your record.

7) One MDR is usually open for lunch on embarkation day. Don't ask a crew member for directions, they will send you to the buffet. Check the Patter (in your cabin when you board) or just go to the MDRs on 5 & 6 and see which one is open.

There is more!! Others will chime in with the stuff I left out.

8 -International Cafe open 24 hrs for coffee , tea and light snacks . Coffee and tea isn't free.

9 -Horizon court open from 5AM to 11PM with free coffee and tea.

10-Muster drill held inside not on the deck.

All the pastries, treats, salads and sandwiches at the International Cafe are FREE. You do have to pay for the coffees and teas unless you have a coffee card or the all inclusive beverage package. Vines also has some free tasty tapas and sushi if you are enjoying a glass of wine.

On sea days they will serve afternoon tea in one of the dining rooms. Also they will have a British pub lunch (free) and sometimes gourmet pizzas in Sabatini's for lunch (also free). Look for fresh baked cookies in the afternoons at the International Café, and also up in the buffet in the evenings. Also Princess has donuts in the mornings in the International Café.

All the pastries, treats, salads and sandwiches at the International Cafe are FREE. You do have to pay for the coffees and teas unless you have a coffee card or the all inclusive beverage package. Vines also has some free tasty tapas and sushi if you are enjoying a glass of wine.

Regular tea and coffee is at no cost in the dining rooms and the buffet.

Also, the Afternoon Tea in a dining room is also free.

Go to the Princess web site and the order brochures page (a link at the bottom of the home page) and download the Cruise Answer Book. It will answer many question and maybe have you think up a few more.

If you have not done so yet, join the Cruise Critic roll call for your cruise. A link to find your roll call is near the top of this page.

Don't miss the pub lunch. It's really good!

But do beware of afternoon tea. It's also really good, and it's easy to spoil your appetite for dinner, especially if you have early traditional seating.

Sailing Star Princess next week. I have cruised with Carnival, NCL and Disney. What info/tips/advice can you share that will help a first time Princess cruiser. Anything done differently on Princess compared to lines I've sailed? Thanks in advance for the help!

Have a great cruise! Our first as well, we are on Golden Princess after new year.:D

I am supposing that the tips you have received will be simular on the Golden.

Edited by KiwiFunCruiser
More information

Thanks for all the replies/tips/advice. It is greatly appreciated! DH and I are confirmed for 'Anytime Dining' and I've read a post on here recently that is questioning my decision on choosing that instead of early or late dining! Is it true I must call every morning to make a reservation for time and table size for that night's dinner?

Every cabin, no matter the category, will have a mini-fridge.

The first day Patter (the ship's newsletter) will give a night-by-night listing of the dress codes for the MDRs. The specialty restaurants are always smart casual, but often people will dress up if celebrating a special occasion.

Look at the back of the Patter (for any day of your cruise) and it will list the hours for various venues. For themed buffets or the pub lunch you just asked about -- those will be listed in the schedule of activities on page 2 and 3 of the Patter.

Don't miss the pub lunch. It's really good!

But do beware of afternoon tea. It's also really good, and it's easy to spoil your appetite for dinner, especially if you have early traditional seating.

Where is pub lunch held? Or is it posted in the daily activities (what's the name for it on princess)?

Every cabin' date=' no matter the category, will have a mini-fridge.

The first day Patter (the ship's newsletter) will give a night-by-night listing of the dress codes for the MDRs. The specialty restaurants are always smart casual, but often people will dress up if celebrating a special occasion.

Look at the back of the Patter (for any day of your cruise) and it will list the hours for various venues. For themed buffets or the pub lunch you just asked about -- those will be listed in the schedule of activities on page 2 and 3 of the Patter.[/quote']

I hit submit reply just a little too late lol!

Where is pub lunch held? Or is it posted in the daily activities (what's the name for it on princess)?

Daily newletter with the activities is called the Princess Patter.

Location of Pub Lunch varies by ship. It is only offered on sea days and usually not on all sea days. It will be listed in the Patter but can be easy to miss. On sea days look in the schedule of activities around 11:30 AM or so to see if it is offered that day.

Thanks for all the replies/tips/advice. It is greatly appreciated! DH and I are confirmed for 'Anytime Dining' and I've read a post on here recently that is questioning my decision on choosing that instead of early or late dining! Is it true I must call every morning to make a reservation for time and table size for that night's dinner?

It is not required to have a reservation and in fact they will usually take reservations for no more than 30% of the anytime tables.

Just show up when you want to eat. However, just like a restaurant on land, if many others decide their anytime is the same as yours, there will be a wait for a table to be available.

On the Star Princess Capri DR, deck 5 mid ship is used early ATD. It opens at 5pm. In the North American market there tends to be high demand for early dining. The DR tends to fill up by 6pm. Since it takes approx. two hours to dine the first wave begins to clear out around 7:30pm. If you arrive around 5:30 you should be able to be seated. Arrive around 6 and you will probably have to wait. Tables to share are generally easier to get than tables for two. At 7:30 The Portofino DR, deck 6, mid ship, opens for ATD thus doubling the number of tables available. Usually if you wish to dine late you can get an immediate table. The Portofino DR is used for early traditional dining at 5:30. You can call the DINE line in the morning to ask for an ATD reservation. Reservations are only for taken specific times such as 5:30, 5:45, 7:30, 7:45. Sometimes the matire'd cuts off reservations.

When we were on the Star Princess last winter the Pub Lunch was held in the Crown Grill. It will be listed in the Princess Patter, and there will be signs at the door. There are normally two different menus for different days.

Another vote for the Pub Lunch. It's pretty popular so get there early.

Also there is the Chef's Table. For $95/person, you get appetizers and champaigne in the galley with the head chef & maitre'd. Then out to your table in the MDR to enjoy a 5 course meal with paired wines. At the end there will be a ship's photog to take a pix of your group with the head chef, maitre'd and head pastry chef. You will also get a copy of Princess' cook book, Courses and the ladies will get a long-stemmed rose. If you are, in any way, a foodie or like me, like to think I am, this is something not to miss - doing it at least once. It's quite an experience.

To get on this you need to call the DINE line on your telephone or see the maitre'd outside one of the dining rooms. They only take a maximum of 12 diners, so the earlier you can board the better your chances.

We too are first time Princess cruisers. So be gentle with us:)

So are you saying no matter how early you get on your room is ready? No waiting until 1:00 or 1:30 PM for your cabin?

With that said. What is the earliest you can get on-board? On other cruise lines we have been on as early as 11:00 or 11:30 AM.

Thank!

Another vote for the Pub Lunch. It's pretty popular so get there early.

Also there is the Chef's Table. For $95/person, you get appetizers and champaigne in the galley with the head chef & maitre'd. Then out to your table in the MDR to enjoy a 5 course meal with paired wines. At the end there will be a ship's photog to take a pix of your group with the head chef, maitre'd and head pastry chef. You will also get a copy of Princess' cook book, Courses and the ladies will get a long-stemmed rose. If you are, in any way, a foodie or like me, like to think I am, this is something not to miss - doing it at least once. It's quite an experience.

To get on this you need to call the DINE line on your telephone or see the maitre'd outside one of the dining rooms. They only take a maximum of 12 diners, so the earlier you can board the better your chances.

You know, I'm such a foodie myself! DH isn't allergic but gets sick (nausea, upset stomach) from onions. Green, white, raw, sauteed, shallots etc!! So, he is so afraid to commit to the chef's table. I really wanted to on our Mediterranean cruise on board NCL but didn't want to as a solo. One day when my children are older hopefully one of them will join me :)

It is not required to have a reservation and in fact they will usually take reservations for no more than 30% of the anytime tables.

Just show up when you want to eat. However, just like a restaurant on land, if many others decide their anytime is the same as yours, there will be a wait for a table to be available.

That is such a relief to know! I was getting worried about how I was going to know when I'd be hungry for dinner in the morning lol. I figured the popular dining times would require a wait, which is fine.

We too are first time Princess cruisers. So be gentle with us:)

So are you saying no matter how early you get on your room is ready? No waiting until 1:00 or 1:30 PM for your cabin?

With that said. What is the earliest you can get on-board? On other cruise lines we have been on as early as 11:00 or 11:30 AM.

Thank!

Boarding usually starts around noon.

Until recently the cabins were always ready by the time boarding started.

Sometimes recently when boarding started before noon, cabins were not ready yet. We were allowed to put on carryons into our cabin and then went to lunch. By the time we finished lunch in the dining room, the cabin was ready. Some others have posted that they were not allowed to do go to their cabins until they were ready.

I do not know why cabins are not all ready now when boarding starts. It could be because boarding starts a little earlier or the cabin steward has more cabins assigned to him/her or for some other reason.

You know, I'm such a foodie myself! DH isn't allergic but gets sick (nausea, upset stomach) from onions. Green, white, raw, sauteed, shallots etc!! So, he is so afraid to commit to the chef's table. I really wanted to on our Mediterranean cruise on board NCL but didn't want to as a solo. One day when my children are older hopefully one of them will join me :)

If you (and yours) get selected, there would be a meeting of the group with the head chef to go over the menu. During this confab, held an evening or two before the big event, he will ask if there's any allergies to what's on the menu. At that point you can bring up your hubby's allergy (that's really what it is) to onions. He may make suggestions that would allow his participation/enjoyment:), or you may be excused.:(

Edited by Treven

Boarding usually starts around noon.

Until recently the cabins were always ready by the time boarding started.

Sometimes recently when boarding started before noon, cabins were not ready yet. We were allowed to put on carryons into our cabin and then went to lunch. By the time we finished lunch in the dining room, the cabin was ready. Some others have posted that they were not allowed to do go to their cabins until they were ready.

I do not know why cabins are not all ready now when boarding starts. It could be because boarding starts a little earlier or the cabin steward has more cabins assigned to him/her or for some other reason.

I don't need my cabin to be ready that early-- I just want a place to put my carry-on bags. That's one annoying aspect of Royal Caribbean.

I don't need my cabin to be ready that early-- I just want a place to put my carry-on bags. That's one annoying aspect of Royal Caribbean.

I've "generally" gotten to my cabin by 11:30-12:00, and it's nice that my cabin is ready for me. A little later the cabin steward comes by to introduce him/her self and ask if I need anything special; you know, the usual drill.