Land & Sea - LIVE from Spain as we sail & compare HAL to Oceania

kazu

Jaqui -

I figured I'd post this here instead of in your "live from" on the Oceania board.

It was amazing to read through your reports after the fact. (I started a little late.) It was all

until things started to go wrong. Then it was like a swarm of angry bees. :eek:

Great job, by the way (to you, not the bees.)

Thanks for your report from the Riviera.

We sail on the Riviera in less than 2 weeks; our 6th cruise with Oceania. Our experience with Oceania has been outstanding and hope it continues.

We still sail on HAL but not as much. I got a little homesick last week when we were in Barbados and docked across from us was the Thomsen Cruise Ship, Celebration; the "old" Noordam. Our first with HAL was on this ship in 1985. It was truly an elegant ship and professional crew!

Here is a pic Oceania waiting for us to return to her. Anyone notice anything missing? Like the canopy, plants, crew with cold towels, water and lemonade, etc.

this pic is in Nassau, but all the ports were the same.

6d5552339d6b6ef702701465f8b55c65.jpg

f0bc4d14c17672b4dcee8b00eabfbfc2.jpg

HAL does this much nicer than Oceania ;)

That sure looks like a pretty steep incline to board the ship.???????

It was. Those with mobility issues had to use the gangway marked for crew only as it was much more level (lower level of the ship of course).

The second pic is the crew gangway. Now, you know why there are people around it ;)

Edited by kazu

Here is a pic Oceania waiting for us to return to her. Anyone notice anything missing? Like the canopy, plants, crew with cold towels, water and lemonade, etc.

What I'm seeing is a horribly steep flight of stairs. How is a person in a wheelchair or scooter supposed to get off/on the ship? Even someone using a rollator would have a hard time.

Was there another gangway for those who couldn't manage this one? Was there any assistance if there wasn't another gangway?

Oops. We were typing at the same time, Jacqui. I just saw your reply to a previous post on the same matter.

Edited by RuthC

I agree, HAL does the return to ship very nicely. I would miss that on the Oceania line.

Just a note to say Oceania usually has the tent & drinks at the gangway so not sure why not today

BTW I could have used cold towels in Aruba & Curacao this month on HAL but they were not there

Just a note to say Oceania usually has the tent & drinks at the gangway so not sure why not today

BTW I could have used cold towels in Aruba & Curacao this month on HAL but they were not there

thanks Lyn,

No caonpy or drinks at any port in our cruise. It was always like this.

strange.

thanks Lyn,

No caonpy or drinks at any port in our cruise. It was always like this.

strange.

Thatis strange

some ports they do not have them depends on if the port building is close but there is usually drinks table as you enter the ship

There doesn't appear to be even a crew member to greet you or to see if you need assistance. Very poor in my opinion.

There was one there at the crew entrance (they later removed the crew entrance sign as a lot were using it)

I did see another person come out and the two of them assisted a lady going up the gangway.

When I looked out from my balcony around 5:00 pm though, I didn't see anyone but they could have been right inside watching.

Edited by kazu

Have you been told what terminal you'll use in Miami (Usually J, but always subject to change) and what time you might appear on the Miami webcam?

Roy

sorry, no word on what terminal.

Disembarkation starts at 8 a.m.

I suspect we will be there VERY early as it is a short ride from Nassau to Miami and CDC Health Inspectors will be wanting to board and they have to get the sick passengers off separately.

I've been reading everything you wrote about your cruise with lots of interest, and cant wait for more details.

Oceania has long been on my radar if we are to ever 'jump ship" on HAL. It's interesting, I noticed that NCL and Oceania are the two lines most people consider to try to improve on HAL. I think people who put more value on entertainment, dining choices, more action lean towards NCL, and those that put more value on the smoking policy, improved overall dining, and traditional cruise values lean Oceania. (Very general statment, I know). I'm definitely in the lean to Oceania category. What has prevented me from booking with them so far is that I wonder about the value for the price differential. I would expect that there are many things I would like better - as I said the smoking policy, a generally more upscale vibe, better food, I know I would like all that. But to justify the price increase, I'm not sure I would like it THAT much better, as well as I know there are things I would continue to like about HAL (more intangible things, we have so many nights on HAL it's just so nostalgic and comfortable to us).

RuthC's review back when she sailed was helpful to me, too and confirmed a lot of the way I feel. Cant wait to read more of yours!!

Edited by WeLoveCruising

I've been reading everything you wrote about your cruise with lots of interest, and cant wait for more details.

Oceania has long been on my radar if we are to ever 'jump ship" on HAL. It's interesting, I noticed that NCL and Oceania are the two lines most people consider to try to improve on HAL. I think people who put more value on entertainment, dining choices, more action lean towards NCL, and those that put more value on the smoking policy, improved overall dining, and traditional cruise values lean Oceania. (Very general statment, I know). I'm definitely in the lean to Oceania category. What has prevented me from booking with them so far is that I wonder about the value for the price differential. I would expect that there are many things I would like better - as I said the smoking policy, a generally more upscale vibe, better food, I know I would like all that. But to justify the price increase, I'm not sure I would like it THAT much better, as well as I know there are things I would continue to like about HAL (more intangible things, we have so many nights on HAL it's just so nostalgic and comfortable to us).

RuthC's review back when she sailed was helpful to me, too and confirmed a lot of the way I feel. Cant wait to read more of yours!!

Do not be concerned about the price if you do not have to plan ahead. There are several sites that offer deep discounts on Oceania for sailings less than six months out.

We are scheduled to sail on the Riviera in less than 2 weeks and got an incredible deal for a Verandah cabin; booked 5 months ago

RuthC's review back when she sailed was helpful to me, too and confirmed a lot of the way I feel.

Happy to hear that I helped. I thought my report on the Riviera was fair and balanced.

If you do decide to sail Oceania, I hope it goes well for you. I totally understand where you're coming from when you think of it in terms of "value"; it's a huge increase in price for what you get.

Happy to hear that I helped. I thought my report on the Riviera was fair and balanced.

If you do decide to sail Oceania, I hope it goes well for you. I totally understand where you're coming from when you think of it in terms of "value"; it's a huge increase in price for what you get.

I would like to read your review. Can you link it or give information to find it please. Thank you Ruth.

I'm definitely in the lean to Oceania category. What has prevented me from booking with them so far is that I wonder about the value for the price differential.

I have said this before but if you are just comparing the dollar price with HAL VS Oceania then you will never go on Oceania

There are things of value other than $$ JMO

The only way you will know is to try Oceania & see for yourself

I am not a foodie & still enjoy Oceania ..HAL was OK but the smoking rules put me off

Enjoy whatever cruise you choose it is NOT a competition

I would like to read your review. Can you link it or give information to find it please. Thank you Ruth.

You can follow the same process that's used to locate a person's posts:

Click on my name in my recent post. Then click on the "statistics" tab. Once there, click on the "Find all threads started by (...).

I took the cruise two years ago, and don't start many threads, so it should be easy to find.

You can follow the same process that's used to locate a person's posts:

Click on my name in my recent post. Then click on the "statistics" tab. Once there, click on the "Find all threads started by (...).

I took the cruise two years ago, and don't start many threads, so it should be easy to find.

Thank you Ruth.

Kazu

I was just looking at the pictures of the ship in Nassau.

I use a rollator and there is no way I could have handled even the crew entrance.

I can handle only 4 or 5 steps.

I feel sorry for anyone who is handicapped on that ship.

I looked at that ramp and tried to imagine someone who uses a rollator or wheelchair getting up that slope. I guess they could get crew to push a wheelchair, and maybe have a transfer chair to get a rollator user up the ramp.

Kazu, was it that steep in all ports?

To me, it looked less like a ramp, and more like stairs. Are you sure it was a ramp?

Jacqui, will you please confirm what it was?

Was the crew entrance that you said was used by the handicapped much flatter?

To me, it looked less like a ramp, and more like stairs. Are you sure it was a ramp?

Jacqui, will you please confirm what it was?

Was the crew entrance that you said was used by the handicapped much flatter?

I'm sorry that the pic wasn't good. The crew ramp was more of a ramp. It was level and while there was a tilt to it, it was certainly more level than the stairs that you saw the rest of us climbing.

It probably had an angle (if I were to guess) of around 30 degrees if that helps.

I am not good at judging this stuff but that is what I would say. It was not completely level but it was a flat surface. I think anyone with mobility issues could use it with assistance from the crew. At least, I saw a couple being assisted.