Princess vs. Celebrity

ano

I agree. I am so over formal nights! It is a pain, especially with the airlines charging for bags.

This excuse has been used for years. Sorry, however, we get 1 bag free for each of us. Since we fly a lot and are Silver on Delta now we get 2 free bags each. So, I don't accept that excuse.

I don't understand the PAIN? LOL

This excuse has been used for years. Sorry, however, we get 1 bag free for each of us. Since we fly a lot and are Silver on Delta now we get 2 free bags each. So, I don't accept that excuse.

I am glad you get free bags. I don't......

Most of the upscale lines have done away with it also. Times are changing!

Edited by Coral

Lol. You get free bags so you think everyone else should just suck it up? Priceless!!!

Can anyone comment on the suite experience on, say, Royal Princess? I have my eye on a short sailing on her in a suite, but having a little trouble determining what kind of amenities go along with it.

http://www.princess.com/downloads/pdf/ships/PrincessSuite_eFlyer.pdf

Be sure to reads any footnotes

Another PLUS for Princess. :)

Huh? I see it the other way.

Exactly. I also see it the other way. Since Princess doesn't advertise their dress code in the same fashion as of now, this change will eventually come back to reduce cruise sales & entice many people to switch cruise lines where they feel more comfortable.

Just take a look at what happened with the smoking regulations just a few short years ago. Almost all the cruise lines now have just about the same standards. It'll be just a matter of time till the mass market cruise lines all fall in place with the dress codes. :)

For those wanting to change to other lines who still have formal nights, thing again. The trend to eliminate formal nights seems to be quickly spreading throughout the industry. Princess is actually following many other lines (such as HAL) in changing their dress guidelines. I suspect that within the next 1 or 2 years there will be no formal nights on any mass market line with the possible exception of Cunard.

Hank

P.S. Personally we think its a shame and still enjoy dressing-up on our cruises. But this seems to be a losing battle on both cruises and on land.

On Celebrity' date=' on one sea day only, there was a big fancy brunch served in the MDR. It was somewhat similar to the Palo brunch on DCL (if that helps at all). There were plenty of other food options for breakfast and lunch on all days, but this was somewhat of a "big deal" special event, and at that time was at no additional charge. I have read since, but no personal experience, that they have added a charge for this meal only. As noted, other breakfast and lunch venues are open at no charge.

I'm not surprised at the charge as the event was very popular. We were turned away once (told to go to the second floor because first was "full", which for a mobility problem is the same as told "no food for you" as the food is down the impossible stairs on the first floor). Then our dinner server was dumb enough to mention that he didn't see us at the brunch. I was not pleased. The problem is that for dinner, there are 2 seatings; for this brunch there is one + as soon as they can turn the tables for later arrivals. There is a wide "arrival time" for the event with no reservations available or needed.[/quote']

Never been on a Disney ship so nope, it didn't help. And I left out the word "not" as in we would prefer not to pay extra for meals -- only once have we eaten in a specialty restaurant and we were gifted with it.

I asked a similar question several weeks ago. http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=2271416

Although our first Celebrity cruise is 18 months away, I don't like the fact that there are no self-service laundry facilities.

That is a deal breaker for us as far as any cruises over a week in length. We prefer allergen free detergent (someone in our family is allergic to regular detergent) and I have items that I prefer not be dried in a dryer at full heat.

I have only sailed on Celebrity once and Princess five times. My one experience with Celebrity was on the Summit. The food was not as good on Celebrity. The staff was not friendly. I will probably never go on Celebrity again based on that cruise.

Having said that, It is very difficult to judge between cruise lines. Every ship is different. Each one has a different staff with a different feel about it. Even though most of the amenities are the same, I have enjoyed some ships more than others.

The staff makes a big difference. We took a cruise from Vancouver to Hawaii and the staff was in a great mood. They were tired of being cold. They had just completed a season in Alaska. Most staff are professional and still do their job but there is a difference.

I have only sailed on Celebrity once and Princess five times. My one experience with Celebrity was on the Summit. The food was not as good on Celebrity. The staff was not friendly. I will probably never go on Celebrity again based on that cruise.

Having said that, It is very difficult to judge between cruise lines. Every ship is different. Each one has a different staff with a different feel about it. Even though most of the amenities are the same, I have enjoyed some ships more than others.

The staff makes a big difference. We took a cruise from Vancouver to Hawaii and the staff was in a great mood. They were tired of being cold. They had just completed a season in Alaska. Most staff are professional and still do their job but there is a difference.

I agree with what you said, about ships being so different even within the same cruise company. I was thinking the same thing.

As an example....last year on the Crown Princess, the cruise director's staff was absolutely fantastic...above and beyond, so friendly and fun and very approachable! They were the best we ever experienced!! And while we loved the Ruby and the cruise director at the time (Sam), it was nowhere near as fun as the Crown staff!

You should give them another chance.....:):):)

Bob