Celebrity Cruises Swaps Formal Nights for Evening Chic

LauraS

We are retired and enjoyed formal nights on Celebrity since 1997. We were disappointed when formal went away to be replaced by Evening Chic. After thinking about it, we've adapted and I've started planning a new wardrobe to replace my formal clothes.

The cruisers who were against formal nights got what they wanted. But, they too have to adapt to cursing by leaving the baseball caps, shorts, t-shirts, old jeans, etc. at home or in their stateroom when going to dinner on the ship.

By every one adapting a bit the cruise can be enjoyable for all. JMO.

I don't wear baseball caps, shorts, t-shirts, old jeans to dinner but it appears that my old reliable casual outfits will still do on formal nights.

It was only a matter of time that the cruise lines lowered their requirements to my comfortable style of dress. ;)

I agree 100%. This is the best news of the year from Celebrity:D:D:D

I find it a bit odd the lamenting of the death of Formal Nights. While they may not be called Formal Nights anymore, I see nowhere where it states that one cannot dress up.

No one is lowering your standards so that you can become more inclusive, they gave you a choice and that is what we most folks want, to choose for themselves.

I am glad that I have a choice of what to wear, I am glad I am not being forced to wear a tux or suit on certain nights just so I can eat in the MDR but, I am also glad that I can wear the suits or Tuxes if I so wish.

Dress up is not dead, just put along side of other modes.

I find it a bit odd the lamenting of the death of Formal Nights. While they may not be called Formal Nights anymore, I see nowhere where it states that one cannot dress up.

No one is lowering your standards so that you can become more inclusive, they gave you a choice and that is what we most folks want, to choose for themselves.

I am glad that I have a choice of what to wear, I am glad I am not being forced to wear a tux or suit on certain nights just so I can eat in the MDR but, I am also glad that I can wear the suits or Tuxes if I so wish.

I tend to go along with you my main concern is how will Celebrity Police this, and what action will they take with people in Tee Shirts, Baseball caps etc etc, I have already read review where the new Chic night dress code in not being adhered and no action being taken. If Celebrity do not police this they are heading for the slippery slope, you can't have one rule for one and not the other. Rant over looking forward to my first Caribbean cruise in March. :):)

I agree that this is best option since everyone can now wear what they prefer - within the new guidelines, of course. Let's face it, there has been increasing pressure on the old standard for years. I dine out fairly often and the new Celebrity Chic fits right in with the vast majority of land-based restaurants just about everywhere. Cruise dinning should be no different.

Again, everyone can now dress up or not as they see fit. Unfortunately, not everyone agrees with allowing personal choice on this topic. For some, having others dress up for dinner is the only correct answer. Anything less will somehow diminish their dining experience to an unacceptable level.

I tend to go along with you my main concern is how will Celebrity Police this, and what action will they take with people in Tee Shirts, Baseball caps etc etc, I have already read review where the new Chic night dress code in not being adhered and no action being taken. If Celebrity do not police this they are heading for the slippery slope, you can't have one rule for one and not the other. Rant over looking forward to my first Caribbean cruise in March. :):)

As far as the reviews you read I did two evening chic evenings last week and I did not see any t shirts or baseball caps those nights. I did not see any baseball caps any nights and the only night I saw some t shirts was the evening of embarkation day. The dress code was being adherded to. I don't know if Celberity was policing it or people were following it without policing, but I don't care. Not my problem or a probelm to me if they make passengers adhere to it or not.

Formal is good for me...

I know tie's are out, but it is nice to see ones wear them.

It shows some class.

A tie does not show class. It was part of the work uniform of office dress. The only bit of usefulness of a tie is to add some personality to drab, uniform office wear.

I can't believe there is still all this discussion on the subject. It's really amusing to me that even though they have changed the dress code and people can wear what they like, some people still find it necessary to tell everyone how dressing up is out of date.

Relax, you won. Those who look good will and those who don't need not make excuses any more. No need to defend the position.

Edited by Ma Bell

Relax, you won. Those who look good will and those who don't need not make excuses any more. No need to defend the position.

I didn't know there was a competition or that there was a winner or loser in this. My impression was that everyone "won". This discussion refuses to die because a select few of those who don't like the decision continue to bemoan it as the dumbing down of the standard, it ruins their experience and that those who don't dress up will not look good, etc., etc.

We agree that any defense of the new standard is unnecessary.

You can argue that a change of dress code is appropriate for the times. You can say that this matches how you dress when you go out at home. You can argue that your luggage will weigh less. You can talk about how Celebrity listened to its customers, and this is what most people want ( though I don't think it can be argued that the posters on this forum somehow represent a majority of Celebrity's customers, most of whom have never heard of Cruise Critic). You can even argue that this will "enhance" your cruise experience.

You cannot argue that this is not a lowering of standards, a "dumbing down", a reactionary stance by Celebrity. You can celebrate or bemoan this change, but you cannot ignore the fact that a little bit of the cachet of cruising has been lost. As with many other items, the lines I have experienced have continuously eroded their unique offerings, which in my opinion, always set cruising apart from other vacations. I will certainly continue cruising, as there are many things I still enjoy; but I expect that there will be more changes coming that further push cruising towards the lowest common denominator.

I saw that post. In the same thread, he mentioned he saw one person in a baseball cap. ONE. Another poster, who was on the same cruise, saw passengers who were nicely dressed. We see what we want to see.

My guess is that Celebrity doesn't want to police it's customers for dress code violations. They will let adults be responsible for their own clothing choices.

I wish I had a dollar for every time the proverbial 'slippery slope' has been mentioned on the Celebrity board.

I can't believe there is still all this discussion on the subject. It's really amusing to me that even though they have changed the dress code and people can wear what they like, some people still find it necessary to tell everyone how dressing up is out of date.

Why can you not believe it? You participate in each one of the threads about it?

Who won? Who is defending? Like you, they are expressing their opinion.

I participate on Cruise Critic forums when I am about to go on a cruise and get lots of information about the cruise line, the ships , the on board activities and yes, the dress codes if there are any. Each line and each ship seem to have different rules so discussions like this one you can find out where they were and where they are going as a cruise line.

Good info and interesting opinions and discussions. Kudos to you all, even the doomsayers. :)

By the way, Merry Christmas to all of you, regardless of your faiths.

Then why not give those who want to wear island shirts and Bermuda shorts to dinner instead of "evening chic" the opportunity to do so. After all, that's what they want, to be able to choose?

Then why not give those who want to wear island shirts and Bermuda shorts to dinner instead of "evening chic" the opportunity to do so. After all, that's what they want, to be able to choose?

Agree.

But Island Shirts are already fine.

Just gotta get those shorts OK'd

Wear them on your upcoming Cruise and report back. You never know...

Because Bermuda shorts are not on the evening chic approved list. I am not sure island shirts would be turned away though.

It is not a matter of wearing what you want, no one ever said that. The issue, or big complaint is that they stopped making suits and tuxes and evening dresses mandatory.

Folks can makeup whatever argument they want and propose nonsense but the topic is the change from formal wear to the clothing listed as "evening chic".

Because Bermuda shorts are not on the evening chic approved list. I am not sure island shirts would be turned away though.

It is not a matter of wearing what you want, no one ever said that. The issue, or big complaint is that they stopped making suits and tuxes and evening dresses mandatory.

Folks can makeup whatever argument they want and propose nonsense but the topic is the change from formal wear to the clothing listed as "evening chic".

Would you prefer if it was Formal Optional instead of Evening Chic?

Would you prefer if it was Formal Optional instead of Evening Chic?

Why would you ask that? My posts have been defending the evening chic protocol.

I have stated in a post a few up (post #280) that "I am glad that I have a choice of what to wear, I am glad I am not being forced to wear a tux or suit on certain nights just so I can eat in the MDR "

Edited by pete_coach

Yip. Yip, Yahoo. Congrats to Celebrity for finally evolving to meet the tastes and desires of most of their cruisers. Yes, I agree we won and we should celebrate the victory. I like the idea of island shirts. I may wear an island shirt every night. Yes, I will tuck in the island shirt to fit in with the new evening chic rules