Celebrity Cruises Swaps Formal Nights for Evening Chic

LauraS

Why would you ask that? My posts have been defending the evening chic protocol.

I have stated in a post a few up (post #280) that "I am glad that I have a choice of what to wear, I am glad I am not being forced to wear a tux or suit on certain nights just so I can eat in the MDR "

I'm just asking if you have a preference as to nomenclature. To me they mean the same thing in actuality.

Because Bermuda shorts are not on the evening chic approved list. I am not sure island shirts would be turned away though.

It is not a matter of wearing what you want, no one ever said that. The issue, or big complaint is that they stopped making suits and tuxes and evening dresses mandatory.

Folks can makeup whatever argument they want and propose nonsense but the topic is the change from formal wear to the clothing listed as "evening chic".

To many people, it never mattered what was on the approved list before so why should it matter now? Unlike many of the people who are so delighted now, I'm not complaining because I will continue to dress well and didn't and won't concern myself over what others wear.

In the past, my only concern was that people follow the rules, whatever they were at the time, and be informed as to what they were. Now, many of the same people who didn't care what the rules were then can figure out how they can say what's appropriate now. If anyone can explain how anything but shorts and flipflops is "chic", I'd love to hear it.

By the way, tuxes and evening dresses have NEVER been mandatory on Celebrity ships.

As I've said before, you can't legislate good taste and those who have it will and those who don't never did and never will.

Your statement about good and bad taste is in bad taste. And leaves a bad taste.

Really? Why is that? Do you mean that there is no one out there with bad taste? Is it politically incorrect to suggest that there are some "unidentified" people out there with poor taste. Is it incorrect that there are people out there that are just rude and inconsiderate and behaving badly?

If I were addressing a specific person and telling him he has bad taste, that would be distasteful and I would never do something like that. Recognizing that there are plenty of people out there with bad taste, in more ways than one, is just an observation and a fact.

Edited by Ma Bell

Really? Why is that? Do you mean that there is no one out there with bad taste? Is it politically incorrect to suggest that there are some "unidentified" people out there with poor taste. Is it incorrect that there are people out there that are just rude and inconsiderate and behaving badly?

If I were addressing a specific person and telling him he has bad taste, that would be distasteful and I would never do something like that. Recognizing that there are plenty of people out there with bad taste, in more ways than one, is just an observation and a fact.

I think it is the tone your messages carry. Maybe it is unintended.

I'm just asking if you have a preference as to nomenclature. To me they mean the same thing in actuality.

Nomenclature? What's in a name? The topic is not about what it is called but what it is and I like the idea of what it is....less formal

Not requiring to dress up (so as not to offend Ma Bell by saying suits and tuxes are mandatory), is what is good about it. If you thought or think evening chic and Formal night are the same, well, OK ,but no one ever called it "Formal Optional".

Lastly, thanks K.T.B....perfect post :)

Nomenclature? What's in a name? The topic is not about what it is called but what it is and I like the idea of what it is....less formal

Not requiring to dress up (so as not to offend Ma Bell by saying suits and tuxes are mandatory), is what is good about it. If you thought or think evening chic and Formal night are the same, well, OK ,but no one ever called it "Formal Optional".

Lastly, thanks K.T.B....perfect post :)

No, no, I think we are crossing signals. I agree with you.

I am saying "Formal Optional" would really be the equivalent of Evening Chic (not exactly, but close enough). So people that have a problem with Evening Chic (not you); wouldn't they have had the SAME problem with a formal optional? They'd be here complaining that if it's not required it will ruin their time. Why? why why why? If anyone wants to dress formal they can. If not, they don't have to. No problem. I do not enjoy dressing formally very often any more. I just bought a new sport jacket, but my collared Tommy Bahama shirt collection outnumbers 4:1

One of the bad things about message boards is you can't hear someone's tone.

Agreed. That is why I extended the benefit of the doubt. Much gets lost in text message as opposed to speaking.

Key & Peele had an excellent 'Text message confusion" skit but the only ones I find online are uncensored so I won't post here. Feel free to Google though; you will see it fits these forums pretty well

Agreed. That is why I extended the benefit of the doubt. Much gets lost in text message as opposed to speaking.

Key & Peele had an excellent 'Text message confusion" skit but the only ones I find online are uncensored so I won't post here. Feel free to Google though; you will see it fits these forums pretty well

As much as I can see the convenience of text messaging and do use it myself, I think it's a real problem for society. Many people live in their own virtual worlds and don't know how to communicate "in person".

What I am saying is, Bermuda shorts should be on thr "approved" list. Can someone give me a reason they are not? If X finally moved into the 20th century when dropping "Formal" night and adopting "Evening Chic" (what ever that is), then I would suggest X move into the 21st century and and add Bermuda shorts to the "approved" list.

I mean, shouldn't all cruisers have a choice. or is the choice only for those who want non formal, but do want evening chic?

Because Bermuda shorts are not on the evening chic approved list. I am not sure island shirts would be turned away though.

It is not a matter of wearing what you want, no one ever said that. The issue, or big complaint is that they stopped making suits and tuxes and evening dresses mandatory.

Folks can makeup whatever argument they want and propose nonsense but the topic is the change from formal wear to the clothing listed as "evening chic".

What I am saying is, Bermuda shorts should be on thr "approved" list. Can someone give me a reason they are not? If X finally moved into the 20th century when dropping "Formal" night and adopting "Evening Chic" (what ever that is), then I would suggest X move into the 21st century and and add Bermuda shorts to the "approved" list.

I mean, shouldn't all cruisers have a choice. or is the choice only for those who want non formal, but do want evening chic?

Unless you are on Nude cruise there must be a line somewhere.

If on a Carribean cruise and in Bermuda you might be able to get away with shorts at night but when do Bermuda shorts crossover to sports shorts. I have basketball shorts which probably come further down my calves than some tailored Bermuda shorts, would you consider then acceptable and would you be prepared to argue with the assistant Maitre'D what is right and what is wrong.

Celebrity have moved to appease most people at dinner in the MDR including formal/ elegant chic . If one wants to be completely informal as I am most nights the buffet is there to accommodate.

If the customers want it then shorts will some day be allowed. The idea doesn't freak me out like it does some here.

I do think some peoples thinking gets stuck in the past. I think about an eighth of the population does not change their mindset from the good old days. A third of the population is ahead of the curve and the rest follows. Change happens and will happen. Look at pictures taken every ten years. Resistance is futile. The mainstream cruise lines may be behind the curve with dress changes but they have to follow. The idea of good taste is meaningless. What is considered good taste is not static, it changes too over time.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Edited by Charles4515

Why? Evidently a lot of folks wanted the line on Formal nights to be erased. Yet now, they want a line drawn for "evening chic?

And by the way, Formal night was always somewhat a misnomer anyway, since tuxedos were not required. Suits could always be substituted for tuxedos.

And one other thing, after reading the definition of "evening chic" and "smart casual" I failed to note a dime's worth of difference between the two, and maybe not even a nickle's difference. Said a different way, I don't think a person dressed in "smart casual" would ever be turned away on "evening chic" night.

Unless you are on Nude cruise there must be a line somewhere.

Why? Evidently a lot of folks wanted the line on Formal nights to be erased. Yet now, they want a line drawn for "evening chic?

And by the way, Formal night was always somewhat a misnomer anyway, since tuxedos were not required. Suits could always be substituted for tuxedos.

And one other thing, after reading the definition of "evening chic" and "smart casual" I failed to note a dime's worth of difference between the two, and maybe not even a nickle's difference. Said a different way, I don't think a person dressed in "smart casual" would ever be turned away on "evening chic" night.

You are correct, over the years formal nights went from a tux/dark suit for the gentlemen and gowns/cocktail dresses for the ladies, but it has changed drastically to a lot of daytime wear for the ladies an pants and jacket for the men. I think folks just want to be a little more comfortable in their dress while on vacation and Celebrity has realized this and changed the dress code. Who knows, it might become chic again to dress formally for dinner again in the future, but for right now, folks are just more casual in their dress. I really don't care what someone else wears, I care more about how they act and treat others....clothes don't define the man or woman, their actions do.

Good or bad taste has nothing to do with formality of dress.

One can dress formally, but in very bad taste.

Conversely, one can dress informally, but in very good taste.

It also has nothing to do with the pricetag of the garment.

You can pay thousands and still have terrible taste.

The fit is very important and also how the style suits your body.

The problem with Bermuda(or any shorts at night) is how pax interpret them. Some will be nice shorts, but plenty of others will be hideous. Just look at the clothing worn on deck during the day. Quite the selection: from nice, all the way down to trailer trash.

The problem with Bermuda(or any shorts at night) is how pax interpret them. Some will be nice shorts, but plenty of others will be hideous. Just look at the clothing worn on deck during the day. Quite the selection: from nice, all the way down to trailer trash.

I see the same in the dining room, so I don't think the shorts are a factor.

By the way, if you are a lady with nice legs you will NEVER be turned away from an MDR wearing shorts. Sexism, alive and well.

Good or bad taste has nothing to do with formality of dress.

One can dress formally' date=' but in very bad taste.

Conversely, one can dress informally, but in very good taste.

It also has nothing to do with the pricetag of the garment.

You can pay thousands and still have terrible taste.

The fit is very important and also how the style suits your body.[/quote']

Very true.

Why? You may have missed my point. Are you really suggesting that there be no line at all?

"Sorry,Charlie" Ma Bell is spot on!

Sorry but aren't you a fan of Perry? LOL. The poster child of tacky. Tasteful dress is a matter of opinion as is what is tasteful entertainment.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Edited by Charles4515