disapointed in RCCL

jobowl

I wanted to book a cruise out of San Juan. By mistake I didn't put my diamond plus # in. So I went back and put it in to find out it is $100 more. Since you cannot combine C&A discount with other discounts. I get $250 off with my diamond plus discount. Without my discount I would get $350 OBC. I didn't know it is better to not be a C&A member. Makes no sense to me. I called C&A and said that is just the way it fell.

Nothing unusual. There are many promotions that exclude combining with C & A Discounts. So, you take the best rate. I do this all the time. Sometimes it's more beneficial to me to book a discounted rate without being able to use my C & A discount, sometimes it's beneficial to me to book a higher rate but get my discount. I can't believe that being a Diamond Plus, you haven't encountered this before. But if you can get the cabin for say $1000 and a $350 OBC, your net cost is $1000- $350= $650. If you can get it for $1100- $250 (C & A discount)= $850. No brainer, take the cheaper deal.

It all comes down to "bottom line." I don't really understand why people expect a discount on top of a discount. You need to read the rate rules. It's "marketing 101." They often offer "deeply discounted rates" so no other discounts apply. Happens in all businesses. You often see the disclaimer "can not be combined with other offers."

But remember this, just because you get a "deeply discounted" rate, you still get ALL the other C & A benefits.

The point I was trying to make not very clear sorry. How many cruisers know to check before booking with and without your #. I did know they were not combinable. I just never thought it was to my benefit to book without #.

Yes it does seem strange that a first time cruiser would actually have more benefit than someone who has 25 or more cruises. Of course crown and anchor benefits didn't really include any special cruise pricing, except perhaps for a balcony discount.

When I am looking at a cruise, I always look at it with and without my crown and anchor number.

Enjoy your cruise

M

My TA offered a special rate (lower than Royal web site) on Liberty out of Galveston (Oct. 2016). When I tried to add my C&A number, the rate went back to the Royal rate. They told me it was either or, not both.:mad:

They probably put you in a group booking so no C&A benefits.

The point I was trying to make not very clear sorry. How many cruisers know to check before booking with and without your #. I did know they were not combinable. I just never thought it was to my benefit to book without #.

Someone else started a thread with almost the same complaint within the last couple of days. I agree with you, it makes little sense.

Why wouldn't a D+ not know to check a price with balcony discount???

If booking thru RCCL website don't you sign in first:confused:

I never sign in first or read the fine print either until I'm ready. It's not that I forget. I just know my discount so I just do the math in my head. I think the OP said he forgot. I didn't realize they weren't combinable until I read it on another thread here. I even repriced my May cruise but my original booking was a better price.

IMHO Diamond and Diamond Plus Balcony Discounts should be available regardless of other offerings. Other people are going to benefit from the "other offerings" regardless of their status, so why shouldn't you/me as a loyal Royal cruiser, retain the discount regardless? Just my opinion.

Cheers

Di

I never sign in first or read the fine print either until I'm ready. It's not that I forget. I just know my discount so I just do the math in my head. I think the OP said he forgot. I didn't realize they weren't combinable until I read it on another thread here. I even repriced my May cruise but my original booking was a better price.

Your probably right I usually get better pricing thru TA so

I usually do a dummy booking thru my online TA and it shows the restrictions

When I do it thru RCCL website after logging on it automatically shows discount

Not sure if it will make the OP feel better but....

RCI is not the only cruise line that sometimes give a better rate to someone who is not a member of their loyalty program.

When I am interested in a cruise, I always do a dummy booking with and without my number.

Yes it does seem strange that a first time cruiser would actually have more benefit than someone who has 25 or more cruises. Of course crown and anchor benefits didn't really include any special cruise pricing, except perhaps for a balcony discount.

When I am looking at a cruise, I always look at it with and without my crown and anchor number.

Enjoy your cruise

M

They don't. The discount rate is available for anyone. But when they "deeply discount" a rate, it isn't combinable. However ALL the other loyalty benefits are still applicable.

I am eligible for a number of different rates. Military, Senior, Resident, and Interline. Interline is considered "deeply discounted" and is, therefore, not combinable with C & A discounts. It's for the airline industry. You see, I am eligible for rates that you may not be. And any airline employee, whether or not he or she has ever cruised before, is eligible. So an airline employee may get on for less than you, even after your C & A discount. Same thing goes for airline tickets, hotel rooms, rental cars, etc. Just the way it is.

So, as I said before, I price all the various rates I'm eligible for. If it's cheaper to use Military and apply my C & A discount, that's what I do. If it's cheaper to use my Interline rate and forgo my C & A discount, that's what I do.

As for RCCL giving "better benefits" to first time cruisers, that just isn't correct. As I said, you are just as eligible for the discounted rate, but you still get priority boarding, free internet, happy hour, priority waitlist for dining, return cruiser party, etc. So all you don't get is a cabin discount on a discounted rate. That's why they call them "rate rules."

Your D+ and didn't know this....be disappointed in yourself not RCL.....:rolleyes::rolleyes:

IMHO Diamond and Diamond Plus Balcony Discounts should be available regardless of other offerings. Other people are going to benefit from the "other offerings" regardless of their status, so why shouldn't you/me as a loyal Royal cruiser, retain the discount regardless? Just my opinion.

Cheers

Di

I have the same opinion as you we are also diamond Plus this year talked our DS and DIL on going on a cruise with us. Final price after Diamond Discount -$50.00

But we had a $100.00 OBC next cruise.

So after 30 years with RCL , today will be the first time I have set foot another cruise ship other than RCL. If I am going to be treated like a new passenger, why not try a new line

So this afternoon we sail on the NCL Jade out of Bayport, it seems RCL is chasing many of the ideas Ncl already have.

I will do a report when I get back.

Your D+ and didn't know this....be disappointed in yourself not RCL.....:rolleyes::rolleyes:

If you have read all the post I knew it was not combinable. I just never saw it as a better deal. I knew when I posted this I would get flamed. I was just trying to pass this info on. I did not book this cruise!

If you have read all the post I knew it was not combinable. I just never saw it as a better deal. I knew when I posted this I would get flamed. I was just trying to pass this info on. I did not book this cruise!

So you are saying you thought the C&A Discount would always be the best deal?

Well that´s obviously wrong and to be honest rather naive to think.

Wow! How nasty can you be to the original poster? He is just letting others know to check both ways. As a long time cruiser, it is a bit annoying to not feel your loyalty means something. We have cruised with friends, who pay the same bottom line price, although we are Diamonds. And yes, loyalty should mean something - this to me IS Marketing 101.

Wow! How nasty can you be to the original poster? He is just letting others know to check both ways. As a long time cruiser, it is a bit annoying to not feel your loyalty means something. We have cruised with friends, who pay the same bottom line price, although we are Diamonds. And yes, loyalty should mean something - this to me IS Marketing 101.

While loyalty should mean something, where is it written it should mean loyal members should be the ones paying the lowest Price?

You feel your loyalty means nothing? Well I do feel differently when I get a priority line at Boarding, a welcome back gift in my cabin, one or more Party invitations, behind the Scenes tours, Milestone recgnitions, Lounge Access, Coupons for various offers loaded on your seapass Card, free nightly Drinks loaded on your seapass Cards, ...............

IMO they Show their appreciation of your loyalty with a pretty extensive list of benefits. However there is no mention of paying the lowest possible rate.

While loyalty should mean something, where is it written it should mean loyal members should be the ones paying the lowest Price?

You feel your loyalty means nothing? Well I do feel differently when I get a priority line at Boarding, a welcome back gift in my cabin, one or more Party invitations, behind the Scenes tours, Milestone recgnitions, Lounge Access, Coupons for various offers loaded on your seapass Card, free nightly Drinks loaded on your seapass Cards, ...............

IMO they Show their appreciation of your loyalty with a pretty extensive list of benefits. However there is no mention of paying the lowest possible rate.

I wouldn't be so critical unless you're happy you can't apply your D+ balcony discount. On these boards 'disappointment' is a far cry from the usual 'never again' or 'time to find a new cruise line' posters.