RC Dedicated Royal Caribbean Vacation Planner?

slyster

So I got a voicemail message and a email from a gentleman named Eric. He described himself as a a royal caribbean dedicated vacation planner. His message said he would be involved every step of the way in any vacation planning, changes, cancellations, and reservations.

I'll be honest, I don't like the idea. Just wondering what others thought or what experiences you have. I don't use a travel agent because I would rather work my own reservation, call and have changes made immediately without having to email or leave a voicemail message for someone.

Just wondering how many of you have received this type of service and what you think about it. Maybe there is a benefit to it but I don't see it.

I wish I had one. I have one with Norwegian and Carnival. It is nice talking to the same person all the time and knowing the person you are talking to has an inkling of who you are. Maybe I just got lucky and got great planners with the other companies, but I truly miss having one for my upcoming Vision cruise.

I have an RCL agent that works great! If I put a courtesy hold on a reservation he takes care of everything the next day. Your "my cruise" on the website will say contact your TA for changes but you can book anything, make payments or cancel the cruise yourself. I just e-mailed him saying I saw a price drop and the next day had 2 e-mails, 1 saying "hello great to here from you" the 2nd was our updated invoice, saved $100. :D

I use one of their vacation planners and have been very happy. If I notice a price drop, I call. If Chris is not available I just talk to someone else there. It has always been super easy. In fact the reason I no longer use a TA is having to wait for them to be available when I discover a price change or something. Booking with my "Vacation planner", I have access to someone 24 hours a day.

The "dedicated vacation planners" are just phone sales reps. It's fine if someone wants to get the phone extension and try to use the same person if possible, but not necessary for any reason. As someone else said, whoever answers the phone will do:D

• 4 weeks later...
So I got a voicemail message and a email from a gentleman named Eric. He described himself as a a royal caribbean dedicated vacation planner. His message said he would be involved every step of the way in any vacation planning, changes, cancellations, and reservations.

I'll be honest, I don't like the idea. Just wondering what others thought or what experiences you have. I don't use a travel agent because I would rather work my own reservation, call and have changes made immediately without having to email or leave a voicemail message for someone.

Just wondering how many of you have received this type of service and what you think about it. Maybe there is a benefit to it but I don't see it.

I got a call from Eric yesterday about a cruise we cancelled prior to final payment. He wanted to know why we cancelled. Then, he said that he would be our Royal Vacation Planner. I got his email and saw that his hours were no where as good as the D+ desk (8 AM to 11 PM - Eastern time for weekdays and 8 AM to 8 PM on weekends). Eric's hours are 9:30 AM to 7 PM -- Monday through Friday; no weekends. I got a survey about his call and I indicated that I did not want to use his services and then I send him an email that I would continue using the D+ desk. Many of my calls to RCI are made during the final hours of the weekday time period and during weekends when Eric is not available.

I got a call from Eric yesterday about a cruise we cancelled prior to final payment. He wanted to know why we cancelled. Then, he said that he would be our Royal Vacation Planner. I got his email and saw that his hours were no where as good as the D+ desk (8 AM to 11 PM - Eastern time for weekdays and 8 AM to 8 PM on weekends). Eric's hours are 9:30 AM to 7 PM -- Monday through Friday; no weekends. I got a survey about his call and I indicated that I did not want to use his services and then I send him an email that I would continue using the D+ desk. Many of my calls to RCI are made during the final hours of the weekday time period and during weekends when Eric is not available.

i would just call the D+ desk.

Just sailed NCL for the first time two weeks ago and they have a "dedicated vacation planner" that called me after I booked online and I never used him. Just called the regular NCL telephone line.

I think RC is just trying to copy other cruiselines. :(

The vacation planners are great. I have had 2 as the first one left Royal for a family business. They will help with price drops, have ship and cabin advice, and work for Royal so if there is an issue on boarding day it is very easy to get fixed. Also after building a relationship with them, we always arrive to find a gift in our cabin from our planner. Our first cruise planner always sent us holiday and birthday cards. When he left Royal he made personal calls to his clients and explained where he was going along with contact information, thanked us for our business, and offered to buy us a drink if we were ever in Trinidad and Tobago. I will take them over a TA any day.

Edited by njm5378
Typo

• 2 years later...

I just found this thread now and was wondering, if you book with one of these "Dedicated Vacation Planners" then can you still transfer the reservation to a TA to take advantage of TA benefits? I got one of their numbers from a friend and found this planner really helpful. More than than the regular ones you get over the phone. But they still work for Royal so they cannot offer any additional benefits/discounts.

I just found this thread now and was wondering, if you book with one of these "Dedicated Vacation Planners" then can you still transfer the reservation to a TA to take advantage of TA benefits? I got one of their numbers from a friend and found this planner really helpful. More than than the regular ones you get over the phone. But they still work for Royal so they cannot offer any additional benefits/discounts.

Yes, you have 60 days from the initial booking to transfer to a TA.

I inadvertently ended up w/ one when I booked my first RCI cruise & she had chocolate dipped strawberries and sparkling wine waiting in my cabin.

For my 2nd RCI cruise this coming Oct. we emailed back and forth and then spoke on the phone for the actual booking & air2sea ticket. I booked shore excursions on line for last cruise and made payments on line for both cruises as well. Last cruise I changed my air2sea outbound international flight on my own too.

So far it doesn't seem like when you have a TA who 'owns' the reservation and you have to go through them.

So really they are no different than any rep you get when calling the main line? Just perhaps more personalized service because you can keep calling the same person over and over again?

Some have reported being able to call the same person multiple times, so I can see how that might be appealing. Sort of like having a travel agent without any added perks but still being able to get price drops 24 hours.

Some have reported being able to call the same person multiple times, so I can see how that might be appealing. Sort of like having a travel agent without any added perks but still being able to get price drops 24 hours.

And some have reported just getting an answering machine (happened to me also).....So not worth it in my opinion...When I want to speak to someone...I want to speak to them now and not have to wait for a call back.

Gee...this is an old thread ;)

Yes. Been using same Vacation Planner for 4+ yrs. Call or email him direct to make changes or apply price drops. Know what his hrs are and if need something quick when he's not available I just call anyone there. Like having a TA but still have more control of my cruises. Use to help me more when cruises had online Hold functions, I'd hold new/better location cabin then have him change that cabin to the one I already had Deposit on...

So what is the actual purpose of these dedicated vacation planners?

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

I am not sure. I just made a reservation a week or two back and then a day or two got the call from "Thomas" my dedicated planner. He wanted to help me make my reservation. When I told him I had already made the reservation he said "are you sure?" Yes. Later I emailed him inquiring about upgrading one of our cabins. Crickets....

I may call the 800# back one day and check on the upgrade. Not sure we will do it anyway.

I have a dedicated agent for RC and I love it she always takes care of me and makes sure I get the best rates and OBC

She always send a gift or 2 to the room also

Try it and if you don’t like it don’t use him

Sent from my iPhone using Forums