Booking first Europe cruise

HockeyRob

I am about to book my first med cruise and wondering what tours I should book. I'm specifically wondering about rome because there are too many sites to see all in one day. Any experienced europe cruisers I would really appreciate the help.

You might get more feedback by posting this on the Vista thread. We sailed aboard the Carnival Liberty 9 years ago. Fantastic cruise (doing the Vista on July1 next year) and a great way to get a flavor on Med countries. Because of the limited time, you need to make choices on what you want to see, a general glimpse of many things or specifics on one or two and fill in gaps with some time around those. Lots of choices....

Omg you will love it!! I'm so hooked on med cruises now, it's my passion!! The vista will be a great ship!!

Post on your ROLLCALL . There is where people share tours and make great suggestions. I use italytoursharing.com and get 8 people in total for a tour and then it is more affordable than ships tours and more personalized. Go to their website and you can research specifically what you want to see in rome.

I am about to book my first med cruise and wondering what tours I should book. I'm specifically wondering about rome because there are too many sites to see all in one day. Any experienced europe cruisers I would really appreciate the help.

Can't wait to be posting something like this myself. I think you should read descriptions and reviews and decide what's right for you. Personally, I'd do Pompeii if it was an option. My in laws did that from Rome as an excursion in a different cruise line. It's a place I've always wanted to see.

Can't wait to be posting something like this myself. I think you should read descriptions and reviews and decide what's right for you. Personally, I'd do Pompeii if it was an option. My in laws did that from Rome as an excursion in a different cruise line. It's a place I've always wanted to see.

Pompeii is an option in Naples. Great excursion, we did it with Salerno and Capri (which was my least favorite of the entire cruise) but loved Pompeii

The cities in Europe are sooo dense with sights and experiences that it would be impossible to "see it all" on any one day visit whether a ship's tour or on your own.

Do a bit of research and decide what interests you the most and then focus on that. Post on your roll call for sure! Think of the cruise as a giving you a small taste of what is available in each port. IF you have time add some days at the beginning and end of your cruise to see those places in more depth.

Edited by riffatsea

There is an excellent European Port of Calls board on cc, so take some time and read there.

I've visited Rome, several times, always independent. it is simple to just take the train and use the Metro to include your preferred touring. Real cheap and easy.

An example of one of my day trips from a cruise- a tour of the Coliseum, walk though Pantheon, Trevi Fountain, Spanish Steps.

You have to accept the fact that there are some tough choices to be made. However, no matter what your choices it will be an amazing cruise. You can do all of these ports on your own (I have done Izmir twice on my own, once in a private group to Ephesus, the second time I walked to the Kizlaragasi Han Bazaar which was absolutely amazing). Places like Rome require some decisions. I have been to Rome three times on a cruise now. Each time I attacked it differently. If you want to see a lot of the Vatican and the Museum then that is about the whole day. You can see St Peters and hit the major sites on foot yourself if you are comfortable hoofing it with a map. It isn't too difficult, just a lot of walking. If you want to tour the Coliseum, then that will eat up a lot of time, etc. just have fun planning it out.

Again, I have done these ports on my own and it is highly advisable. Just use the port boards here or Google itself to do some research. There are some great tour companies ruinning over there and they are easy to use. Trust me on this. You do not want to hit the Amalfi Coast in a huge tour bus. You want to do it with a private driver and a small group (and it will cost the same). I can't stress this enough especially in a place like Europe. You will get so much more out of using private tours.

Get a copy of Rick Steves' Mediterranean Cruise Ports. I think it's in third edition by now. He tells you what there is to see/do in your ports and how much you can do in the time you have. And how to do it DIY. On his website there are free audio tours for ipod/mp3 and you can print maps to go with them. Rome, Florence, Pompeii...Visit your roll call, and the ports of call boards. EM

Are you flying in and out of Rome, if so then go a day or two early and see most of the sights before you even sail. It's a wonderful city, you will need one day for all the old sights and one day for the Vatican City sights. enjoy./

Thanks everyone for the replies and suggestions. I'm surprising the wife. I still have to figure out the ports and cruise for that matter.

From all your suggestions, I am going to use private tours such as Italytoursharing or RIL. I definitely am going to get a rick steeves book. I will look at my roll call when I figure out what cruise. I will look for a port where we will go to Pompeii.

I know it will be july and will include rome. I'm just beginning research.

I highly recommend Rome in Limo. But be careful, there is a not so good tour company that is very similar in name. We even used them for my daughter and a friend a couple of years ago too.

We rented an apartment in Rome 5 days pre cruise. Because there were 9 of us it was so much cheaper than hotel rooms, gave us more room and a kitchen. We used Rome in Limo for pick up from airport, then for a couple tours, transport to ship with side trip on way to a castle, and pick up after cruise.

Go to the forum that talks about each of your port stops. I used the tours recommended there and they were phenomenal.

Get a copy of Rick Steves' Mediterranean Cruise Ports. I think it's in third edition by now. He tells you what there is to see/do in your ports and how much you can do in the time you have. And how to do it DIY. On his website there are free audio tours for ipod/mp3 and you can print maps to go with them. Rome, Florence, Pompeii...Visit your roll call, and the ports of call boards. EM

Agree Rick Steves. Wonderful information. Just don't try to see everything on one visit as you WILL want to go back.

From all your suggestions, I am going to use private tours such as Italytoursharing or RIL. I definitely am going to get a rick steeves book. I will look at my roll call when I figure out what cruise. I will look for a port where we will go to Pompeii.

I know it will be july and will include rome. I'm just beginning research.

Have to warn you July in Europe will be very hot and crowded. Best time is April / May and Sept/ Oct. Spring is really better as you have the long evenings. By October it is getting dark early and places close early.

(Naples is the port for Pompeii)

I have gone three times in july....loved it but it was hot but still loved it.

You should check out carnival vista. We are going in June this time. On our roll call, there are lots of tours still looking for people through italytoursharing

Whatever you decide, you will love it!!