Terrible experience with NCL so far!!!

13seth

First of all, I very sorry to hear about your ordeal. That being said, you are using the wrong TA. From the many posts I've read on this site, and my own personal experience, a good TA is hard to find. But, worth it when you do. So, if you're the sporadic traveler, it's better to go directly to the cruise line. While a good TA does save money, as well as provide other assistance, You may run into issues, like this one, a few times before you find a good one. It may not be worth it. If you're using a TA, you should have no direct contact with the cruise line. That's what they get paid for, problems or not.

Regarding NCL, their customer service department stinks. As long as everything goes according to the script, it will all be just fine. But, when problems crop up they really exceed expectations, when comes to irritating most everyone. So, if you plan to cruise them, without the hassles, you need to get off on the right foot. Booking correctly the first time, helps enormously. The same usually holds true on board. As long as everything goes smoothly, you'll have a wonderful time. If you need to go to the customer service desk for an out of the ordinary problem, you may have the same type experience. Generally, they are not good with dealing with problems, unless they are routine.

I'm sure you'll have a great time. NCL really does have good crews on board. The Breakaway is a fine ship.

I'm curious if you usually get better deals when booking by calling NCL? If the rooms you wanted were available on ncl.com, could you have just booked there? I always book online so am I missing something by not calling in to book? thanks.

We chose to use a TA because they offered us $200 cash back plus the NCL promo, ended up getting an additional $150 cash back for second room. The TA also helped when the NCL agent said there was no way to put the 2 adults as the free dining promo because we were in separate rooms, she knew it could be done, even if more difficult, and followed through to make it happen. I'm not sure whether or not this would have been avoided if booking direct? But we will learn from it and take more time before booking in the future to do our research.

I think you need a new TA, but I can maybe help you understand the room price thing.

Your wife booked ov. You can not downgrade to insides. You can upgrade which is why ov to balcony wss no problem.

To go ov to inside, as that is not allowed, you need to cancel and pay any cancel penalties to do that.

I am very surprised your TA could not explain that to you.

Sent from my SM-N910V using Tapatalk

My issue with this is that it is not in writing on our contract or explained to us when we book. On top of that, it doesn't make sense in my opinion to do this, just my opinion but if someone is spending thousands to cruise with you it would be good customer service to help them book the room that they want to be in, even if downgrading and spending less money. They should be able to sell the one ocean view to another customer as easy as selling the 2 insides.

That sucks. NCL needs to get their heads out of their rear ends. It always seems to be drama. I don't know why anyone sails with them. That seems like a whole lot of time on the phone to book a cruise. It also seems like NCL really doesn't care. Instead of making customers happy they want to run it by the legal department. I just read an article about a couple last year who found out their son (young child) had cancer and they didn't want to cancel the cruise but just rebook for later and NCL said no. They wouldn't refund any money (it was past final payment) and they were sorry about their son but those are the rules. It was another cruise company who came forward and gave them a free cruise. Nice eh?

Anyways - we bought the spa package same as you and went down at 6am when the gym opened to work out. After the workout we went to the spa....but it was closed until 8am. Yup. Walked back to our rooms in sweaty clothes to shower. Its stupid to make people pay for showers and saunas and then not have them open when the gym is open.

Hope you have at least have a wonderful cruise.

Thanks for the good wishes, we will have a great cruise! I usually wake up early to go to the gym on cruises so a bit disappointed to find out the showers and sauna wont be open! Ill work around that.

The story you shared about the couple that found out their child had cancer, this is where they need customer service that is focused on actually looking at the issue and effect instead of thinking solely in dollars and cents. Running a successful business is more than just money. Thanks for sharing that.

But it sounds to me like your TA was to blame for the initial problem: if connecting insides were showing available, they should have been able to book them for you, or at least found out from NCL what was going on with those rooms.

If I followed your story correctly, you paid $600 more than you wanted to for the initial booking, and then $700 more again to get the two balconies. So you are paying $1300 more for this vacation than you originally planned. You seem happy with that result, which is great, but your TA and NCL are the real winners here.

Also, I would definitely get some confirmation from NCL that your TA has actually arranged for both you and your wife to have the dining package, plus the free internet package in one room. Don't settle for a document from the TA, ask for an official amenities invoice from NCL listing all passengers in both cabins and clearly indicating which perks each person is going to get.

I usually wake up early to go to the gym on cruises so a bit disappointed to find out the showers and sauna wont be open! Ill work around that.
The opening hours for the spa and the fitness center are listed on the back page of the Freestyle Daily. It is certainly convenient to have spa access if you are a gym user, but they have never advertised the spa as the place to take your shower after working out, or promised that it would always be open when the gym is open. Edited by hawkeyetlse

I am new to NCL and my only cruise prior to the one I'm booked on in Janurary 2016 is with Carnival. I think your complaints should all be directed to your TA. It sounds like the TA didn't have your best interest in mind. I booked directly with NCL and got great perks so I'm an advocate for booking directly without the TA.:eek:

The TA was talking directly with NCL and was very responsive, came on the phone every 10 minutes when NCL had us on hold to explain what was going on, etc. The issues only came when NCL was on the line and when working directly with NCL. The supervisor tried to charge me more to move to inside cabins than 2 balconies would cost? The supervisor put us on hold for a very long time without checking in and did not return the phone calls, etc. Even left work while we were still on hold? She also did not follow through on her promise to show me the written policy regarding a downgrade. NCL was also reluctant to do the extra work so that we could dine together. The TA called us numerous times when promised and pushed the issue withy the dining and the policy. But you are free to have your opinion.

Exactly this. Plus the answer to why the NCL supervisor didn't offer balcony to begin with is that the OP clearly was adamant about getting insides instead of higher categories.

OP has already vented about this situation in multiple threads before and it always boils down to that they should have not originally booked something they didn't want.

If you believe that there was no lack of customer service from NCL and what they did was right, well I will not attempt to change your mind. Just stick around this forum and keep defending them, push the blame on the unsatisfied customer or TA. NCL cant possibly be wrong, right?

First of all, I very sorry to hear about your ordeal. That being said, you are using the wrong TA. From the many posts I've read on this site, and my own personal experience, a good TA is hard to find. But, worth it when you do. So, if you're the sporadic traveler, it's better to go directly to the cruise line. While a good TA does save money, as well as provide other assistance, You may run into issues, like this one, a few times before you find a good one. It may not be worth it. If you're using a TA, you should have no direct contact with the cruise line. That's what they get paid for, problems or not.

Regarding NCL, their customer service department stinks. As long as everything goes according to the script, it will all be just fine. But, when problems crop up they really exceed expectations, when comes to irritating most everyone. So, if you plan to cruise them, without the hassles, you need to get off on the right foot. Booking correctly the first time, helps enormously. The same usually holds true on board. As long as everything goes smoothly, you'll have a wonderful time. If you need to go to the customer service desk for an out of the ordinary problem, you may have the same type experience. Generally, they are not good with dealing with problems, unless they are routine.

I'm sure you'll have a great time. NCL really does have good crews on board. The Breakaway is a fine ship.

Yes, that is the mistake that I made, I should have taken the time and booked with my wife. Once it got to the point that I was talking to the NCL Supervisor, it went down hill fast! I will do everything possible to assure we do not run into any issues on the cruise, we are looking forward to it and will have a great time!

My issue with this is that it is not in writing on our contract or explained to us when we book. On top of that, it doesn't make sense in my opinion to do this, just my opinion but if someone is spending thousands to cruise with you it would be good customer service to help them book the room that they want to be in, even if downgrading and spending less money. They should be able to sell the one ocean view to another customer as easy as selling the 2 insides.

Not required to make sense. Kinda like Blake on MASH saying "But Radar, that doesn't make any sense" "None of it makes any sense, sir. You just have to fill out the right forms":eek:

But it sounds to me like your TA was to blame for the initial problem: if connecting insides were showing available, they should have been able to book them for you, or at least found out from NCL what was going on with those rooms.

If I followed your story correctly, you paid $600 more than you wanted to for the initial booking, and then $700 more again to get the two balconies. So you are paying $1300 more for this vacation than you originally planned. You seem happy with that result, which is great, but your TA and NCL are the real winners here.

Also, I would definitely get some confirmation from NCL that your TA has actually arranged for both you and your wife to have the dining package, plus the free internet package in one room. Don't settle for a document from the TA, ask for an official amenities invoice from NCL listing all passengers in both cabins and clearly indicating which perks each person is going to get.

The opening hours for the spa and the fitness center are listed on the back page of the Freestyle Daily. It is certainly convenient to have spa access if you are a gym user, but they have never advertised the spa as the place to take your shower after working out, or promised that it would always be open when the gym is open.

Plus the $600 more to use the sauna, I did not realise that there wasn't one available as they have been the case on other cruises. We did get the dining info in writing, made sure of it!

I am still a bit confused on your last statement and the shower thing, it sounds like the boat doesn't have a public locker room with showers and sauna at their fitness center? I'm not making a big deal about it but I am used to having this as standard on every other cruise line.

Everything you mention here is the job of the TA!! Your TA is the person responsible for coaching/teaching you and your wife what is and is not possible. If your TA was passing all of this off to NCL, you should fire your TA. What are you paying them for if not to represent you??? This entire issue resides with the TA. NCL calling back or addressing any issues should have never been with you. When you use a TA, they are the focal point and you should have never been on the phone!! And no, I'm not saying that NCL did not make any mistakes here. But, they should have never been on the phone with you to begin with.

And as an FYI, I just did a booking for your cruise for five guests in a ocean view and did it online with no issue. There are a couple of warnings that pop up telling you that not many rooms can handle five, but it allows me to go ahead and book in a five person room. So a TA was not required to do it.

Edited by rvsullivan

I am still a bit confused on your last statement and the shower thing, it sounds like the boat doesn't have a public locker room with showers and sauna at their fitness center? I'm not making a big deal about it but I am used to having this as standard on every other cruise line.

A few of the older ships have free lockers and showers, sometimes a free steam room. It is not standard on NCL, unfortunately. But the spa pass gets you a lot more than those facilities (I hope you are not paying $300 per person just for a shower and a sauna!)

Everything you mention here is the job of the TA!! Your TA is the person responsible for coaching/teaching you and your wife what is and is not possible. If your TA was passing all of this off to NCL, you should fire your TA. What are you paying them for if not to represent you??? This entire issue resides with the TA. NCL calling back or addressing any issues should have never been with you. When you use a TA, they are the focal point and you should have never been on the phone!!

The TA can not do anything or make changes until approved by NCL, the TA wanted to help us and spent many hours on hold with us, the TA never blew us off or left work with us on hold, the TA did not tell us that she would send a copy of the policy and not follow through, the TA did not take days to return are calls and blatantly lie about what she told us previously. If NCL was willing to try to understand our concern and work with us to figure out a solution that was beneficial to all of us, the TA could have done something. I never asked for something free and was perfectly willing to spend thousands. I requested to speak directly with NCL after they had me and the TA on hold for a full day.

Thanks for adding a bit of color to my thread, but even with the red letters I am not swayed from feeling that NCL has failed to show any integrity in dealing with me and my families vacation.

A few of the older ships have free lockers and showers, sometimes a free steam room. It is not standard on NCL, unfortunately. But the spa pass gets you a lot more than those facilities (I hope you are not paying $300 per person just for a shower and a sauna!)

I only want the shower and sauna, cruises are not really my thing but my family loves them. I enjoy waking up very early, working out and relaxing in the sauna when on the cruise, that is my favorite part other than spending time with my family and watching them smile. At home, there is work every day as soon as I am awake so it's worth the $300 for me to know that I'll get 14 days that I can wake up and sit in the sauna and breath without any pressure.

I guess what I don't understand, is if the rooms were showing available on line, but not to the TA, why didn't the OP book the two cabins on line and then transfer the booking to their TA. I've done this with Celebrity and have always gotten my TA's price (which is lower) and any perks from the TA and cruise line. Edited by NLH Arizona

I guess what I don't understand, is if the rooms were showing available on line, but not to the TA, why didn't the OP book them on line and then transfer the booking to their TA.
When booking two rooms I prefer to call NCL and speak to an agent. But I agree with you completely, create the booking directly with NCL and then transfer to a TA. I do this almost every time, even with last minute bookings.

If you believe that there was no lack of customer service from NCL and what they did was right, well I will not attempt to change your mind. Just stick around this forum and keep defending them, push the blame on the unsatisfied customer or TA. NCL cant possibly be wrong, right?

No, I'm not saying that the aftermath couldn't have been easier to handle (this is one of the reasons why I use a TA, they fight with the cruise lines for me) but the origin of the problems was your own decision to book something you later decided that you do not want, combined with clearly incompetent TA that couldn't inform you (or couldn't get the message through) about the simple rules about upgrades/downgrades and cancellation deadlines and associated fees.

It is not the supervisor's fault if you demand to get something specific and they'll just tell you how much it would cost according to the contract you already agreed to - your TA should have been able to give you that information too and since you finally were in direct contact with NCL, I get the feeling that they did but you just didn't like the answer.

I really do not have any reason to defend cruise lines, especially NCL (they have lost my loyalty), but it is still not the cruise line's fault if the customer hasn't done their research and customer's representative (the TA) doesn't do their part - even in these replies you make it seem NCL's fault that all cruise lines are not the same and you just didn't do the research before booking.

When booking two rooms I prefer to call NCL and speak to an agent. But I agree with you completely, create the booking directly with NCL and then transfer to a TA. I do this almost every time, even with last minute bookings.
The OP could have simply done this the first time he called his TA and was told they weren't available and it would have save the him from going through all the mess he went through. Edited by NLH Arizona

Everything you mention here is the job of the TA!! Your TA is the person responsible for coaching/teaching you and your wife what is and is not possible. If your TA was passing all of this off to NCL, you should fire your TA. What are you paying them for if not to represent you??? This entire issue resides with the TA. NCL calling back or addressing any issues should have never been with you. When you use a TA, they are the focal point and you should have never been on the phone!! And no, I'm not saying that NCL did not make any mistakes here. But, they should have never been on the phone with you to begin with.

And as an FYI, I just did a booking for your cruise for five guests in a ocean view and did it online with no issue. There are a couple of warnings that pop up telling you that not many rooms can handle five, but it allows me to go ahead and book in a five person room. So a TA was not required to do it.

I disagree.....

On line NCL showed that they had two inside adjoining rooms available several time, yet when the TA called to book the rooms NCL said that they were not available. This happened on a few occasions according to the OP. Now when he checked again NCL said yes there were two inside adjoining rooms available but he would have to pay more.

The TA attempted several times to book the rooms that the OP wanted that showed as available on line but NCL would not allow this.

TA did their job.....NCL not so much!

The cancellation fee when you are making changes is a joke....yes I know that it is clearly spelt out in their policies.....yet they allow you to upgrade without a cancellation but not a down grade. I called and booked my two Cruise with an NCL agent and as a Canadian was not offered a booking in CAD funds which at the time was being offered at $1.09. When I found out about this option I called and was told that I would have to cancel my booking and rebook which would have cost me about $1000 more. Very frustrating dealing with piss poor NCL agents.

Had I booked with a TA they would have gotten me the CAD rate and I would have saved over $600...I will never book direct with a cruise line again.

When your wife tried to book connecting inside cabins, they weren't available. Cabins go on and off the market, with cancellations and upgrades. Your TA suggested a large OV (I hear they are pretty nice), and your wife agreed. Your TA didn't suggest connecting balconies, maybe he should have.

After final payment, NCL is not going to let your downgrade. For example, if I booked an OV, but then decided I wanted some money back, so I wanted to switch to and inside, that's not going to happen. However, NCL might let you upgrade (which they did). They don't have to, but if it's financially in their best interest, they probably will, without an fee.

If you book with a TA, NCL deals with the TA, not you. It sounds like this TA was a dud.

As for a PP comment about the boy with cancer, one of the major reasons why people (like myself) purchase trip insurance is in case something bad unexpectedly happens. My mom had a cruise booked when she found out she had cancer, and had to cancel. No problem, that is what insurance is for. Why should people pay for insurance if the cruise line will let folks re-book for every sob story? Illness, death, job loss, injury, home loss, disaster - no one expects these things to happen, but they do.

To OP:

I have tried to read all comments on this thread. But I have a question which I did not see answered.

Were you past final payment when any/all of this occured?

That would make a difference in how NCL deals with your situation.

I am new to NCL and my only cruise prior to the one I'm booked on in Janurary 2016 is with Carnival. I think your complaints should all be directed to your TA. It sounds like the TA didn't have your best interest in mind. I booked directly with NCL and got great perks so I'm an advocate for booking directly without the TA.:eek:

I agree, it sounds like this was entirely the fault of the TA.

I wonder if it's possible the agency had a block of rooms (group space) and was trying to sell from that inventory (they had no more interiors left).