A veteran NCL cruiser departs

Dolphins

The point of my original post was to enlighten cruisers on how much increased costs the cruise lines have dumped on us in recent years. They will continue to nickel and dime us until we finally say enough! I am especially amused by those who consider paying for something they once received at no extra charge "welcome change?"

Here's the thing, if a person doesn't eat or like lobster, steak and/or prime rib; doesn't use room service and/or doesn't eat specialty restaurants not once o maybe once per trip, doesn't drink - how does nickel&diming affect them? Not much because a cruise company still needs to convince them on the cost of fare and/or service charges; and those people can take their business anywhere to their personal preference(s). That's the beauty of the current cruise market - each line has a niche that fills a particular consumer. In NCL's case (and paraphrasing Miami Herald comment about them and Escape) it's a mass/budget market line with water slides & rock walls that has aspirations to be premium line with its dining & bars.

Sent from my SM-N910T3 using Tapatalk

Here's the thing, if a person doesn't eat or like lobster, steak and/or prime rib; doesn't use room service and/or doesn't eat specialty restaurants not once o maybe once per trip, doesn't drink - how does nickel&diming affect them? Not much because a cruise company still needs to convince them on the cost of fare and/or service charges; and those people can take their business anywhere to their personal preference(s). That's the beauty of the current cruise market - each line has a niche that fills a particular consumer. In NCL's case (and paraphrasing Miami Herald comment about them and Escape) it's a mass/budget market line with water slides & rock walls that has aspirations to be premium line with its dining & bars.

I see what you are saying, but here is where this is all leading:

You will pay extra for ANY food onboard

You will pay extra to use the pool

You will pay extra to have your room cleaned....and so on!

See what we are saying...this is all included now ,as were the things that are gone since we started cruising.

The more we pay extra for the more they will make extra pay...until it includes what is important to you!

Happy Thanksgiving to all :)

Reader

Edited by Reader0108598

See what we are saying...this is all included now ,as were the things that are gone since we started cruising.

The more we pay extra for the more they will make extra pay...until it includes what is important to you!

Reader

I think there is a big difference in paying for room service or paying for an upcharge item in the MDR, then paying for all food or paying for the use of the pool or to pay to have your room cleaned. NCL has made some changes for non-necessity items, giving folks a choice. If any cruise line were to charge for necessities, then I think they will be out of business in a few months, but there is a big difference in a necessity versus a choice item.

I think there is a big difference in paying for room service or paying for an upcharge item in the MDR, then paying for all food or paying for the use of the pool or to pay to have your room cleaned. NCL has made some changes for non-necessity items, giving folks a choice. If any cruise line were to charge for necessities, then I think they will be out of business in a few months, but there is a big difference in a necessity versus a choice item.

Tell the single parent with the sick kid that room service is a choice.

Hi NLH Arizona

Maybe a bit too far with the ANY food ....but do you really need to use the pool or have your room cleaned daily without an upcharge ?

Reader

Edited by Reader0108598

Hi NLH Arizona

Maybe a bit too far with the ANY food ....but do you really need to use the pool or have your room cleaned daily without an upcharge ?

Reader

The pool, no, but I don't think anyone cruise line would ever charge for it if it were on the ship, could they charge for a prime lounger position, possibly (would I ever pay that, not on this earth). Having your cabin cleaned, yes that is a necessity and I highly doubt that any cruise line would ever charge for that. Could they charge for the children's club, sure, but then, just as if they charged for the pool or cabin cleaning, they would be shooting themselves in the foot.

Does anyone want to pay for things they have not been charged for in the past, certainly not, but if that is the way NCL wants to do their business, we can either accept it, complain about it or not cruise with the line. When I was in South Lake Tahoe and went to the grocery store, they charged me 10 cents a bag (not something they do in Arizona) to put my groceries in, I had a choice I could carry my groceries out in my hands or pay the 10 cents for each bag. I choose to pay the 10 cents per bag others, who were also surprised by this charge, didn't. Just like with NCL, I had a choice.

Reader, I think the bottom line is that, IMHO, NCL is not going to make any drastic changes that will put them in a position where they can't be competitive. Some will not like the changes, some will like the changes, some will accept the changes and some won't accept the changes. Will they lose a few customers, sure, but there will be enough new ones to make up for them.

Edited by NLH Arizona

My first cruise was on NCL...the Southward in 1979. An outside cabin with 2 portholes; cost about $1100 per person. Drink of the day was $1.95, photos sold for about 2 dollars each. I had hair, and a 31 inch waist....boy have things changed!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

My only issue with NCL these days is that its constant change. I am guessing they are in a transition period, so I hope things will settle down. I like to know what to expect in a product...consistency is an art and one that allows me to select a product/company.

For the cruiser that started this thread, I hope you can find another line to your liking so you can continue to cruise which is a luxury in a world constantly changing and not all for the best.

Bon Voyage y'all.

Hi NLH Arizona

Reader

That's what the $13.50 per day service charge is for.

The pool, no, but I don't think anyone cruise line would ever charge for it if it were on the ship, could they charge for a prime lounger position, possibly (would I ever pay that, not on this earth). Having your cabin cleaned, yes that is a necessity and I highly doubt that any cruise line would ever charge for that. Could they charge for the children's club, sure, but then, just as if they charged for the pool or cabin cleaning, they would be shooting themselves in the foot.

Does anyone want to pay for things they have not been charged for in the past, certainly not, but if that is the way NCL wants to do their business, we can either accept it, complain about it or not cruise with the line. When I was in South Lake Tahoe and went to the grocery store, they charged me 10 cents a bag (not something they do in Arizona) to put my groceries in, I had a choice I could carry my groceries out in my hands or pay the 10 cents for each bag. I choose to pay the 10 cents per bag others, who were also surprised by this charge, didn't. Just like with NCL, I had a choice.

Reader, I think the bottom line is that, IMHO, NCL is not going to make any drastic changes that will put them in a position where they can't be competitive. Some will not like the changes, some will like the changes, some will accept the changes and some won't accept the changes. Will they lose a few customers, sure, but there will be enough new ones to make up for them.

All of your points are well taken but just so you know that is what we thought at one time... "Oh they would NEVER charge extra for that"!!!

Just saying do not be too sure what they will or won't charge for if we the passenger keeps accepting these new charges (that don't affect us).

Happy sails and Thanksgiving to you!

Reader

Edited by Reader0108598

All of your points are well taken but just so you know that is what we thought at one time... "Oh they would NEVER charge extra for that"!!!

Just saying do not be too sure what they will or won't charge for if we the passenger keeps accepting these new charges (that don't affect us).

Reader

Well time will tell. Hopefully, we are both around if it does happen or doesn't in say 10 years, so we can continue the discussion.

Happy Thanksgiving to you and yours!

That's what the $13.50 per day service charge is for.

Hi Maywell

Actualy that charge is not just for you cabin being cleaned...so they could make that an upcharge. They can do anything they want ,If we pay for it.

Happy sails & Thanksgiving day

Reader

Hi Maywell

Actualy that charge is not just for you cabin being cleaned...so they could make that an upcharge. They can do anything they want ,If we pay for it.

Happy sails & Thanksgiving day

Reader

The charge includes the room steward that cleans the room and turns down the bed. NCL can always raise the service fees like they twice this year. *shrug*

Edited by maywell

The point of my original post was to enlighten cruisers on how much increased costs the cruise lines have dumped on us in recent years. They will continue to nickel and dime us until we finally say enough! I am especially amused by those who consider paying for something they once received at no extra charge "welcome change?"

There are still a lot of complimentary dining options which don't cost anything. The choice of restaurants (vs one single main dining room) was the result of changes good change. And investment of the cruise line to improve the experience. You can still have the same free beverages. You have Broadway entertainment for free (again the results of change and investment from the cruise line).

I, for one, don't want to live in the past. I applaud the change. Change is good.

You don't have to eat the lobster or have a French meal. And have no additional cost on board.

But, I, again like the option of paying for additional services. It's an option.

As far as cost. Everything is more expensive today than it was 20 years ago when we first started cruising. And we appreciate the investment (and additional cost) of change and improvements.

I leave it in place and also tip in cash, but then again, I'm generous.

I spend a lot of time in cruise forums, because I like it, and have not seen people raving about the free meal in Orchid Garden, or the CruiseNext. I have, however, seen scathing reports of the changes everywhere, so yes, aside from running a survey, I take the wild guess that people don't care about those things and that people care a LOT about the other dozen negative changes.

Hi Sally, I like some of the new changes. Sorry. :o I bought 4 CruiseNext certificates, saving myself $500 over the next 4 cruises - plus getting at least 1 free thing that I probably otherwise wouldn't have gotten, booking through CAS.

I like the better food, and the new investment in better menus. I like the retention of talented crew, even if they require raises periodically.

But that's just me.

The pool, no, but I don't think anyone cruise line would ever charge for it if it were on the ship, could they charge for a prime lounger position, possibly (would I ever pay that, not on this earth).

Ohhhh.... I don't think I've EVER sat on a lounger by the pool....it's not at all my 'thing'.....but if I could reserve a 'good' seat, so I knew where I was going and I was guaranteed a spot there.... I'd definitely be willing to pay extra. I might even use it. And yes, I'm serious.

Stephen

Hi Sally, I like some of the new changes. Sorry. :o I bought 4 CruiseNext certificates, saving myself $500 over the next 4 cruises - plus getting at least 1 free thing that I probably otherwise wouldn't have gotten, booking through CAS.

I like the better food, and the new investment in better menus. I like the retention of talented crew, even if they require raises periodically.

But that's just me.

Ohhhh.... I don't think I've EVER sat on a lounger by the pool....it's not at all my 'thing'.....but if I could reserve a 'good' seat, so I knew where I was going and I was guaranteed a spot there.... I'd definitely be willing to pay extra. I might even use it. And yes, I'm serious.

Stephen

Ditto. I usually sail in insides or studios, so most of the time, I don't get perks. I like that they're doing a la carte pricing in some of the restaurants. I've had gastric bypass surgery, so I can't eat the massive amounts that are served, but I still like good food. It will be nice to go and get something in a small portion and not feel like I'm paying $25-30 for that tiny portion. The added 18% actually works out better for me, since I used to add a 20% tip.

And I also would be more than willing to pay extra for a guaranteed-reserved lounge chair in a prime location (except my prime location would be in an area with plenty of shade).

But that's just me.

That's okay Stephen :)

I have been sailing in my own cabin the last few cruises, so have just taken what was offered, so didn't need CruiseNexts, but perhaps will in the future.

I loved a lot of the food on Escape, like Food Republic and Margaritaville, but had tablemates that considered it a huge fail. The MDR food at lunch was okay, the only real change I found was bringing back the prime rib to Cagney's, it was the best I've ever had bar none. If that caliber of food is going fleetwide, I will consider that a GREAT change. I've always found that the same menu in the hands of different executive chefs is a totally different experience. The Head Chef on the Dawn in August, Johnno as we affectionately called him, was amazing. We chatted with him several times throughout the cruise, he would come and seek us out. He was in charge of all of the specialties on the Dawn.

If that really is where NCL is going, I might have to dust off my pompoms again. 😀

I have some sympathy with the OP as I feel the balance between providing a good experience for the customer and making the company profitable is now weighted too heavily in favour of the latter. My wife and I are both Platinum level repeat customers, and after our experience on the 14th November Escape sailing I will be using the 2 CruiseNext certs we have and then may also go. The NCL experience for similar prices to RCCL/Celebrity is simply not good value.

One other thing, whilst on Escape I noticed the theatre rows and seats are all lettered/numbered - another potential charge?

I have been a frequent NCL Platinum cruiser since NCL started cruising year round out of New York. I have always applauded the innovations of NCL like Freestyle Dining and having the courage to sail year round out of New York. My introduction to NCL was on the Norwegian Dawn and I have wonderful memories of that ship. I enjoyed dining at Cagney's and Le Bistro at reasonable rates without mandatory gratuities added. I dined at La Cucina and the Tex-Mex specialty restaurants at no extra charge. I looked forward to lobster and prime ribs in the main dining room at no extra charge. A la carte dining was something uncomprehendable. I received room service 24 hours a day at no extra charge. I enjoyed an aft-facing balcony cabin at no extra charge. I enjoyed all the entertainment venues at no extra charge. I received VIP treatment from Hotel Directors like Klaus and Hugo. I felt the Dawn class ships were the ideal size especially embarking and debarking.

NCL today is almost unrecognizable from my early NCL experiences. Cruising was once touted as a bargain vacation with everything included at no extra charge. Sadly, those days appear to be gone forever and so am I. I will always treasure fond memories of many days on NCL but the current situation on NCL holds no attraction for me at all. Bon voyage.

LOL, and I am a veteran Carnival cruiser (7 cruises, veteran?, anyway), who is coming over to NCL, for no other reason than a better price for me as a solo cruiser, compared to what Carnival is offering in the same time frame, as well as a big new sparkling ship with so many entertainment options. Escape is costing me 200.00 less than a 7 day on Carnival. I still like Carnival, but this deal, just is a no brainer for me. Looking forward to Escape:)

Reader

So now we are worried about what "might", "maybe", "could possibly" happen in the far off future? :rolleyes: Some folks have way to much time on their hands.

NCL today is almost unrecognizable from my early NCL experiences. Cruising was once touted as a bargain vacation with everything included at no extra charge. Sadly, those days appear to be gone forever and so am I. I will always treasure fond memories of many days on NCL but the current situation on NCL holds no attraction for me at all. Bon voyage.

Your feeling is shared with many individuals cruising on other lines aside from NCL. I read several of the forums and many long-timers who sail exclusively with one cruise line post that they are leaving and moving on to another cruise line or land vacation for the same main reason you mention - basically, cruising is not what it used to be on _____ (fill in the blank) cruise line.

I think it's fine to go elsewhere or take another type of holiday if it's no longer an enjoyable experience.

Back in the olderen days of cruising, you actually had to pay for loungers in prime locations. Just like renting chairs on the beach.

Then a terrible change happened and it became free.

We like change.

$2, and it was yours for the week LOL I was just a kid. I had to ask my parents the price :)

I have been a frequent NCL Platinum cruiser since NCL started cruising year round out of New York. I have always applauded the innovations of NCL like Freestyle Dining and having the courage to sail year round out of New York. My introduction to NCL was on the Norwegian Dawn and I have wonderful memories of that ship. I enjoyed dining at Cagney's and Le Bistro at reasonable rates without mandatory gratuities added. I dined at La Cucina and the Tex-Mex specialty restaurants at no extra charge. I looked forward to lobster and prime ribs in the main dining room at no extra charge. A la carte dining was something uncomprehendable. I received room service 24 hours a day at no extra charge. I enjoyed an aft-facing balcony cabin at no extra charge. I enjoyed all the entertainment venues at no extra charge. I received VIP treatment from Hotel Directors like Klaus and Hugo. I felt the Dawn class ships were the ideal size especially embarking and debarking.

Hope you find the vacation you want, at a price you are willing to pay. Heck, I wish I could find a good steak at our local market at the prices we paid even 5 years ago or good crab for less than $20 a lb. Good luck and good bye.

Reader

I have to ask you, what are they charging for that you never thought they would? Or what are the charging that is not right? I don't like the idea of room service charge, but I fully understand it. Thank goodness we never use it. The only charge that does bother me is the al a carte. I am surprised they do not charge for child care. I don't know very many places one can leave their kids all day or in the evening without paying.

I do agree the cost of cruising, has gone up considerably in the past few years, but the promos have offset the cost. This is true with all lines I will add.