A veteran NCL cruiser departs

Dolphins

Needless to say, just because one person (you) haven't seen people raving about the free meal in the Orchid Garden, doesn't mean that they aren't. Same apples to the Cruise Next program.

People like to complain in forums far more than they compliment. Especially given the presence of self-appointed board police who attack anything positive as being nothing but "cheerleading".

According to the MEMBERS link at the top of the page, Cruise Critic only has 23,486 members that have ever made a post....and thats all members, all forums, and all cruise lines. NCL alone sails more than that many people on any given day. Even if you knew the definitive preference of every single Cruise Critic poster ever, you wouldn't even be close to knowing what the average cruiser thinks.

It's a pretty big sample size. I'm not going to argue with you if you think that 51% of the people cruising think these two changes are improving their cruising experience, that's fine.

Thank you for your contribution to these boards, and I'm sorry that NCL doesn't meet your needs any longer. I don't understand why people need to be so dismissive, there is nothing wrong with you posting that you're moving on.

There isn't a single change that's been made by the new management that is a positive for the average cruiser. One person who had gastric bypass loves that they can now pay only for 2 apps in a specialty instead of the $25 fee, but otherwise the last changes are not consumer friendly, so I totally understand your point. You're not leaving due to innovation, and I think that people claiming that is reason you're going is unfair.

Happy sails if you're heading off to another line.

I'll remove my "single change" and change to "more than two possible changes" and everyone will be happy!

Needless to say, just because one person (you) haven't seen people raving about the free meal in the Orchid Garden, doesn't mean that they aren't. Same apples to the Cruise Next program.

I've read many reviews where posters went to Orchid Garden and enjoyed their meals (one review said they went there 3 nights during their cruise) and were very happy that it was now complimentary. The only negatives I've seen is that some of the old items are not on the menu any longer and that there can be long lines to get in. BTW, I'm not speaking for all average cruisers, just posting what I've read on Cruise Critic. Edited by NLH Arizona

I've read many reviews where posters went to Orchid Garden and enjoyed their meals (one review said they went there 3 nights during their cruise) and were very happy that it was now complimentary. The only negatives I've seen is that some of the old items are not on the menu any longer and that there can be long lines to get in. BTW, I'm not speaking for all average cruisers, just posting what I've read on Cruise Critic.

OK, cool...but since I've basically said the same thing, I'm not sure why you are telling me this. I simply stated that because one person hasn't seen any positive reviews is not proof that there aren't any.

It's a pretty big sample size. I'm not going to argue with you if you think that 51% of the people cruising think these two changes are improving their cruising experience, that's fine.

I didn't say anything about 51% of the people. I wouldn't presume to know what 51% of the people cruising think. My comment was specifically on your statement that there was not a single positive change made by the new management.

That is the problem with hard line statements like this, it only takes ONE positive change to disprove the statement.

I would have had no quarrel if the statement would have been "The vast majority of the changes made my the new NCL Management have not been positive for the cruising public" or something similar.

FWIW...I have to disagree with your idea of "a pretty big sample size". As noted before, there have only EVER been 23,486 people who have posted anything on Cruise Critic. Just for the sake of example, let's assume that you could somehow know the preferences of all of those 23,486 people.

According to data released on 9/3/15 by the American Association of Port Authorities, 20,335,000 people cruise each year. That means that those 23,486 Cruise Critic posters from all time only represent 1/10th of 1% of the people who cruise each year. That is hardly what qualifies as a "pretty big sample size".

I didn't say anything about 51% of the people. I wouldn't presume to know what 51% of the people cruising think. My comment was specifically on your statement that there was not a single positive change made by the new management.

That is the problem with hard line statements like this, it only takes ONE positive change to disprove the statement.

I would have had no quarrel if the statement would have been "The vast majority of the changes made my the new NCL Management have not been positive for the cruising public" or something similar.

FWIW...I have to disagree with your idea of "a pretty big sample size". As noted before, there have only EVER been 23,486 people who have posted anything on Cruise Critic. Just for the sake of example, let's assume that you could somehow know the preferences of all of those 23,486 people.

According to data released on 9/3/15 by the American Association of Port Authorities, 20,335,000 people cruise each year. That means that those 23,486 Cruise Critic posters from all time only represent 1/10th of 1% of the people who cruise each year. That is hardly what qualifies as a "pretty big sample size".

Now we're totally off topic, but yes, sampling 3M Americans about things in the USA is a very large sample size. But totally irrelevant and has nothing to do with the fact that the OP is leaving NCL due to the changes.

Now we're totally off topic, but yes, sampling 3M Americans about things in the USA is a very large sample size. But totally irrelevant and has nothing to do with the fact that the OP is leaving NCL due to the changes.

Where did you sample 3M Americans?

I just want to add a comment, I have to agree with the OP, and several of NCL cruisers that have been around awhile. We just finished our 6th NCL cruise last week, we have been on all lines several times except Disney. In Jan 2015 we did a back to back on the Jewel, followed by Celebrity, then HAL before last weeks NCL. We have always been a cheerleader of NCL with high recommendations to our family and friends. But after last weeks cruise I have to agree, we are not a fan of the changes since the Jan BTB NCL cruise. It just is not the same, we believe in competition, making money, and staying in business. The staff has been reduced, the portions smaller, glassed smaller, menu changes, it is all the little "things" that made NCL our choice. It has nothing to afford the new charges if that was our choice, but the amount of drinking and spending because of the UBP is most likely has changed the atmosphere then anything. Trust me, we have our wine with dinner, and occ drink in the afternoon, we do not mind that but, ....just saying, we will use up our last future cruise (we bought in 01/2015) and give the other as a gift. But the "NEW" future cruise deals are NOT the same as a year ago, most people do not understand the math, the marketing is great now, Suite Cruiser is correct..so is OP and Sobe, who has always been a advocate, things have changed, and I guess so have we, but.....I am talking the last few years, not 10 years. :cool:

We applaud change.

If it wasn't for change, we would all be sitting at 10-tops in the main dining room, at fixed times, waiting for every person on the table to finish there appetizer before moving on to an entree. And if your shore excursion runs long, or you stop in the Spa, you don't get to eat in the main dining room because you missed your seating time.

If it wasn't for change, most of us would be in 3rd class steerage just using the ship for transportation and not a fun filled, relaxing vacation.

You can still get your free food, free non-alcoholic drinks, free entertainment, free deck chair. BUT,,, change provides options. You don't have to pay for those options if you don't want.

Upcharge services have been around for a long time. And we appreciate that more and more services are being offered. Don't force those of us who love the options and those of us who are willing to pay for additional services and not live in the past.

You should make this your signature quote:)

Bill

Edited by S.S.Oceanlover

Add me to the list who like the new changes. I don't drink, don't eat in specialties except platinum benefits, like complimentary Asian dining, always tipped in addition to the DSC, never use room service. One of the changes is the Gem sailing out of San Juan, plus SA itineraries, plus Asian itineraries plus more new ships coming. Prices for inside cabins are about the same, and the recent pick 2 saves me hundreds of dollars.

Add me to the list who like the new changes. I don't drink, don't eat in specialties except platinum benefits, like complimentary Asian dining, always tipped in addition to the DSC, never use room service. One of the changes is the Gem sailing out of San Juan, plus SA itineraries, plus Asian itineraries plus more new ships coming. Prices for inside cabins are about the same, and the recent pick 2 saves me hundreds of dollars.

Well my inside gem triple with zero perks ...as I like it.... Is now $800 more with the free perks....so prices are not really about the same. IMHO

Sent from my iPad using Forums

Well my inside gem triple with zero perks ...as I like it.... Is now $800 more with the free perks....so prices are not really about the same. IMHO

The San Juan prices are the same as when they were first posted. How far out did you put down a deposit on which cruise?

It happens... prices definitely go up and down prior to a sailing based on remaining inventory and demand. When I rebooked my escape inside cabin about a month ago in order to add the 2nd perk, I was informed that my rate had dropped! A pleasant surprise - being paid to take an additional perk.

Bye, bye. I'm glad you have your fond memories.

But, we cant live in the past. Things evolve, morph and reinvent themselves over time. Life is NOT static, it's dynamic... And that is a good thing.

To bring new updates and experiences cost millions. As the demand for cruising rises as it has been steadily for years, this will continue to happen.

Please let me know where the grass is greener and I shall follow.

May you cruising memories of NCL always put a smile on your face. Best of luck on your new cruise line. I hope you find that same fondness elsewhere.

Edited by Golfin55

just saying, we will use up our last future cruise (we bought in 01/2015) and give the other as a gift. But the "NEW" future cruise deals are NOT the same as a year ago, most people do not understand the math
You're right, the deal is not the same: as SeaShark said, it is much better right now than it was a year ago. We just applied 2 CruiseNext deposits to book one cabin for Christmas: that's $250 in our pocket. Last Christmas we were only allowed to use one FCR, so we only saved $100 there.

I have been a frequent NCL Platinum cruiser since NCL started cruising year round out of New York. I have always applauded the innovations of NCL like Freestyle Dining and having the courage to sail year round out of New York. My introduction to NCL was on the Norwegian Dawn and I have wonderful memories of that ship. I enjoyed dining at Cagney's and Le Bistro at reasonable rates without mandatory gratuities added. I dined at La Cucina and the Tex-Mex specialty restaurants at no extra charge. I looked forward to lobster and prime ribs in the main dining room at no extra charge. A la carte dining was something uncomprehendable. I received room service 24 hours a day at no extra charge. I enjoyed an aft-facing balcony cabin at no extra charge. I enjoyed all the entertainment venues at no extra charge. I received VIP treatment from Hotel Directors like Klaus and Hugo. I felt the Dawn class ships were the ideal size especially embarking and debarking.

NCL today is almost unrecognizable from my early NCL experiences. Cruising was once touted as a bargain vacation with everything included at no extra charge. Sadly, those days appear to be gone forever and so am I. I will always treasure fond memories of many days on NCL but the current situation on NCL holds no attraction for me at all. Bon voyage.

I truly wish you all the best and really hope you enjoy whatever vacations you do in the future.

After my next cruise in May..I will decide what our cruise future will be.

I never get the point of these threads. (not just on cruise critic either. I have seen them on flyertalk about various airlines and hotels and even photography message boards). Why one feels the need to announce to the world they are taking their {insert cruise line, hotel, airline etc etc etc} business elsewhere is beyond me. Maybe it is the Facebook effect, where people feel the need to tell everyone about everything in their life.

The San Juan prices are the same as when they were first posted. How far out did you put down a deposit on which cruise?

I'm paying $1800 total for the inside on deck 5 ( the best deck) midship for the 3 of us. That includes tax and port and was a true...not fake....ksf

Booked in early April 2015 for the 10 day gem in Jan 2016

No perks other than $25 obc from ncl and $50 obc from my ta

I'm a hawk with prices and over the years have saved quite a bit through pre final payment price adjustments

I don't want any perks as they cost way too much when offered for free. Lol

Of course I'm no fool and I fully know that when I booked my cruise FDR hadn't shown his true colors yet in upping the base cost of the cabins

But please make no mistake here..... The 10 day gem was many many hundreds of dollars less back in April for booking

Posters are just not aware of this because they didn't book back then and are only comparing current prices to say summer prices and are factoring in the so called free perks

Btw when I reprice my cruise with the free. Lol. Perks. I would be paying approx $800 more for the same inside that would include the perks....so the free perks are costing $800 more than the lowest ncl gem Jan 2016 which I booked. Of course one has no choice but to pay what ncl wants if they truly want to cruise and didn't book when I did.

We aren't spending $800 in specialties and drinks or internet this I can assure you. But I will buy an Internet package to use audio .... Never video.... FaceTime..... And the 3 of us might share 2 bottles of wine....and possibly but not probably do a specialty ( not impressed with them and have tried them all nor are we comfortable with all the changes in price at them)

Probably buy 1 pix as it's just 3 of us and not all of us cruising and might do a cruise next if we are certain before I cruise that we want to cruise again on ncl

So maybe....just maybe..... My sign and sail will be $200

I also prepaid at the lower dsc rate and pre purchased 2 ncl excursions at good prices.

Free perks are a joke but unless you booked when I did you could not know that.....ncl is counting on you not knowing....but as I said if you really want to cruise you just have to pay today's rate. 😞😞

Of course for a cruiser that wants the specialties and drinks lots each day the perks might be impressive....but they are not free

Edited by Crusin6

I never get the point of these threads. (not just on cruise critic either. I have seen them on flyertalk about various airlines and hotels and even photography message boards). Why one feels the need to announce to the world they are taking their {insert cruise line, hotel, airline etc etc etc} business elsewhere is beyond me. Maybe it is the Facebook effect, where people feel the need to tell everyone about everything in their life.
I think it is two fold. The person wants to let out their frustration, in hopes that others will read it and follow their lead and I think they truly think that if the business reads their post, they will change things back to the way the person wants, especially if others post their issues as well. Some people, like me, will just walk away and others will vent - there is nothing wrong with either. Edited by NLH Arizona

It happens... prices definitely go up and down prior to a sailing based on remaining inventory and demand. When I rebooked my escape inside cabin about a month ago in order to add the 2nd perk, I was informed that my rate had dropped! A pleasant surprise - being paid to take an additional perk.

I've had this happen to me as well....but it was just a nice price drop for us as that was before the phony free perk days. Lol

Carnival ncl and princess. Over the years I've saved tons on price drops

I think it is two fold. The person wants to let out their frustration, in hopes that others will read it and follow their lead and I think they truly think that if the business reads their post, they will change things back to the way the person wants, especially if others post their issues as well. Some people, like me, will just walk away and others will vent - there is nothing wrong with either.

While I don't disagree with your overall point, I don't agree with your final statement.

Yes, some people will "just walk away" and that is their right and their choice.

Then there are, as you point out, others who will vent, a practice which is akin to a child throwing a public tantrum. There is simply no reason that a person has to subject others to their tantrum unless they are simply trying to draw attention to themselves.

If a cruiser has a bad experience, they should IMMEDIATELY work through it with the staff onboard. If the situation isn't resolved by the time they return home, then they should address their issues DIRECTLY with the folks in Miami...which is a much better action than "venting" in front of an uninvolved public. Why take the "chance" that someone from NCL will see a rant on a forum when you can ensure that they see it by sending it to them directly??

Venting in public leads to nothing but arguments over differences in opinion. It isn't a problem solving action. The best course of action is to take it up with the company directly.

There's some poor analysis in this thread. The current "two perks" promo appears to be for all sailings greater than 30 days from sailing. There was no fleet-wide price increase just prior to this promo's release.

Price changes for specific sailings have more to do with the state of occupancy than anything else. Yes, many ship/cruise dates have prices that have increased over time as the ship nears capacity. There all also sailings that have struggled to fill rooms that have had their fares drop.

With the current promo, you can book many dates at the lowest fare that'll be available. Check out some of the fall 2016 dates - all eligible for two perks. It's a bit of a game - trying to book at the most opportune time. The best practice seems to book early, then stay on top of fare changes and promos to determine if there's a good time to rebook. I have two cruises currently booked with the two perks promo... both at the lowest fare ever offered. It is possible. Personally, I enjoy the hunt.

The point of my original post was to enlighten cruisers on how much increased costs the cruise lines have dumped on us in recent years. They will continue to nickel and dime us until we finally say enough! I am especially amused by those who consider paying for something they once received at no extra charge "welcome change?"

The point of my original post was to enlighten cruisers on how much increased costs the cruise lines have dumped on us in recent years. They will continue to nickel and dime us until we finally say enough! I am especially amused by those who consider paying for something they once received at no extra charge "welcome change?"
I don't think anyone wants to pay more for anything, but some understand change.

If I have two options (and that is all NCL was and is giving) and one is to not have lobster at all or two would be to have it as an upcharge item, giving one the choice to order it or not, I would pick two. What would you pick?

I applaud you for leaving a company that you don't feel fits your expectations. Good luck in finding what you are looking for.

Edited by NLH Arizona