A veteran NCL cruiser departs

Dolphins

Hello

In February we will be going on our first NCL cruise on the Epic in February.

We have been on many other cruise lines.

The reason that we chose this cruise was the bargain price, we have got 12 days cruise plus UBP and the total cost is less than that of the UBP package, so there are still bargains to be had, you just have to search them out

I have been a frequent NCL Platinum cruiser since NCL started cruising year round out of New York. I have always applauded the innovations of NCL like Freestyle Dining and having the courage to sail year round out of New York. My introduction to NCL was on the Norwegian Dawn and I have wonderful memories of that ship. I enjoyed dining at Cagney's and Le Bistro at reasonable rates without mandatory gratuities added. I dined at La Cucina and the Tex-Mex specialty restaurants at no extra charge. I looked forward to lobster and prime ribs in the main dining room at no extra charge. A la carte dining was something uncomprehendable. I received room service 24 hours a day at no extra charge. I enjoyed an aft-facing balcony cabin at no extra charge. I enjoyed all the entertainment venues at no extra charge. I received VIP treatment from Hotel Directors like Klaus and Hugo. I felt the Dawn class ships were the ideal size especially embarking and debarking.

NCL today is almost unrecognizable from my early NCL experiences. Cruising was once touted as a bargain vacation with everything included at no extra charge. Sadly, those days appear to be gone forever and so am I. I will always treasure fond memories of many days on NCL but the current situation on NCL holds no attraction for me at all. Bon voyage.

Everything has gone up from groceries to cruising, all inclusive land vacations, gas hydro, health and the list is endless.

I guess the only value and cheap vacation is camping.

I was a mostly Carnival cruiser until I sailed on the Getaway this summer. Now I have 3 more cruises booked with NCL. In fact, my upcoming cruise (again on the Getaway) in a balcony (solo) with included UBP will cost less than my recent Carnival cruise (plus the price of their drink package) Also, I think NCL is far better for the solo cruiser with the addition of the solo cabin category...

People have to make these posts because otherwise no one notices. Every single day countless people take their first cruises on NCL, and every single day countless people take their last cruises on NCL. Ob-La-Di, Ob-La-Da... You're welcome for the needed attention I just gave you.

In the big picture you are right, however, it would be sensible for a company to monitor why they lose loyal customers and for them to consider whether it is a smart business move. If those ex-customers do not make their reasons known, then the company has no feedback and therefore no chance of changing things.

I have sailed elsewhere than NCL recently, and, NCL will have to 'up their game' to get us back (in several areas).

In the big picture you are right, however, it would be sensible for a company to monitor why they lose loyal customers and for them to consider whether it is a smart business move.

Companies evolve. I seriously doubt whether NCL would want to go back to where they were 10 years ago. If the loyal customers they're losing preferred the former NCL experience, maybe it's a mutually agreeable separation.

In the big picture you are right, however, it would be sensible for a company to monitor why they lose loyal customers and for them to consider whether it is a smart business move. If those ex-customers do not make their reasons known, then the company has no feedback and therefore no chance of changing things.

I have sailed elsewhere than NCL recently, and, NCL will have to 'up their game' to get us back (in several areas).

I agree that the prime audience for this post is NCL. I hope the OP has sent this same message to them.

Not sure what's worse...

--The advent of "Fee"style Cruising

--The tone of this board changing to the pitch where any criticism of NCL is shouted down as "dramatic"

Criticism is fine with me. No cruise line is perfect, even NCL, and I have little basis for judgment, having cruised with them only twice so far with the third booked for January 2016. But I just find it interesting that people need to announce their departure so dramatically. Kind of like when people announce they are leaving an online forum never to return, and then they're back before you know it.

I agree with you OP, we love cruising because it is all inclusive. Once you get on the ship the whole experience has been included. I recently booked a 14 day on the Breakaway and it seems that I will either be missing or paying for much of what has always been included and part of our cruising experience. Earlier this year on Rccl Indy I was able to enjoy lobster, prime rib, entertainment, sauna and locker room at no additional charge and I was allowed to choose how I tip the staff. On this cruise it feels very different.

To all the offended responses telling OP he is wrong and no one cares that he is leaving, obvious sly you care enough to keep the thread going:) and are you truly surprised someone is sharing their opinion or dissatisfaction on a cruise forum? Maybe if you insult them enough people will stop having opinions that are different than yours right?

But I just find it interesting that people need to announce their departure so dramatically. Kind of like when people announce they are leaving an online forum never to return, and then they're back before you know it.

Like a newborn baby it just happens every day.

I have been a frequent NCL Platinum cruiser since NCL started cruising year round out of New York. I have always applauded the innovations of NCL like Freestyle Dining and having the courage to sail year round out of New York. My introduction to NCL was on the Norwegian Dawn and I have wonderful memories of that ship. I enjoyed dining at Cagney's and Le Bistro at reasonable rates without mandatory gratuities added. I dined at La Cucina and the Tex-Mex specialty restaurants at no extra charge. I looked forward to lobster and prime ribs in the main dining room at no extra charge. A la carte dining was something uncomprehendable. I received room service 24 hours a day at no extra charge. I enjoyed an aft-facing balcony cabin at no extra charge. I enjoyed all the entertainment venues at no extra charge. I received VIP treatment from Hotel Directors like Klaus and Hugo. I felt the Dawn class ships were the ideal size especially embarking and debarking.

NCL today is almost unrecognizable from my early NCL experiences. Cruising was once touted as a bargain vacation with everything included at no extra charge. Sadly, those days appear to be gone forever and so am I. I will always treasure fond memories of many days on NCL but the current situation on NCL holds no attraction for me at all. Bon voyage.

Thank you for your contribution to these boards, and I'm sorry that NCL doesn't meet your needs any longer. I don't understand why people need to be so dismissive, there is nothing wrong with you posting that you're moving on.

There isn't a single change that's been made by the new management that is a positive for the average cruiser. One person who had gastric bypass loves that they can now pay only for 2 apps in a specialty instead of the $25 fee, but otherwise the last changes are not consumer friendly, so I totally understand your point. You're not leaving due to innovation, and I think that people claiming that is reason you're going is unfair.

Happy sails if you're heading off to another line.

I'm looking at the Pride of America for 2017. It's not cheap and if I can find a better deal where I get to see the four major Hawaiian islands through a land/air based island-hopping vacation, I'll do it. But Norwegian knows that and they will structure their fares so they can compete with the land/air offerings.

Competition is the name of the game. If a business isn't competitive it won't stay around. If that means things change over the years and aren't as pleasant as they used to be, so be it. Norwegian is still around and some of its competitors from 30 years ago aren't.

Thank you for your contribution to these boards, and I'm sorry that NCL doesn't meet your needs any longer. I don't understand why people need to be so dismissive, there is nothing wrong with you posting that you're moving on.

There isn't a single change that's been made by the new management that is a positive for the average cruiser. One person who had gastric bypass loves that they can now pay only for 2 apps in a specialty instead of the $25 fee, but otherwise the last changes are not consumer friendly, so I totally understand your point. You're not leaving due to innovation, and I think that people claiming that is reason you're going is unfair.

Wish Dolphins the best in their new choice. It would be instructive to know what the alternative is, which is supposedly better.

I'm looking at the Pride of America for 2017. It's not cheap and if I can find a better deal where I get to see the four major Hawaiian islands through a land/air based island-hopping vacation, I'll do it. But Norwegian knows that and they will structure their fares so they can compete with the land/air offerings.

Competition is the name of the game. If a business isn't competitive it won't stay around. If that means things change over the years and aren't as pleasant as they used to be, so be it. Norwegian is still around and some of its competitors from 30 years ago aren't.

It is difficult to find a way to do it either cheaper or more efficiently. Since ferries are not allowed between islands, one must fly and move from hotel to hotel. It's like stepping into the batter's box with two strikes.

Interesting...that's a pretty concrete declaration. Not one single change that's a positive? :confused:

So, you don't consider that the Asian Restaurants changing from Specialty to Included is a positive change for the average cruiser?

You don't consider the change from Cruise Rewards to Cruise Next with the increased OBC to be a positive change for the average cruiser?

Interesting...that's a pretty concrete declaration. Not one single change that's a positive? :confused:

So, you don't consider that the Asian Restaurants changing from Specialty to Included is a positive change for the average cruiser?

You don't consider the change from Cruise Rewards to Cruise Next with the increased OBC to be a positive change for the average cruiser?

Well, I guess we have all been spoken for, since the poster said that there is not a single change that is positive for the average cruiser. Have to disagree. The a la carte pricing at Cagney's is definitely positive for me. If I were to purchase my normal meal there (salad, filet, baked potato), it would cost me $26 including tip opposed to $35.34 ($29.95 plus 18% tip). Not to mention that adding the 18% gratuity to the specialty restaurants, makes it easier for me, because I now don't have to carry cash down to dinner for the tip that I always leave. I'm sure there are more positives, but you get the point....not everyone is the same and what is not a positive to one person, can be a positive to another.

No, not for the average cruiser. The feedback I've seen is the Asian restaurant menus have scaled back the old favourites, and NCL got rid of them altogether on their new ship.

I haven't seen Cruise Next to be something people are excited about either, but will concede that some may like both of these changes.

I don't think the average cruiser cares about either though.

Edited by SuiteCruiser

Well, I guess we have all been spoken for, since the poster said that there is not a single change that is positive for the average cruiser. Have to disagree. The a la carte pricing at Cagney's is definitely positive for me. If I were to purchase my normal meal there (salad, filet, baked potato), it would cost me $26 including tip opposed to $35.34 ($29.95 plus 18% tip). Not to mention that adding the 18% gratuity to the specialty restaurants, makes it easier for me, because I now don't have to carry cash down to dinner for the tip that I always leave. I'm sure there are more positives, but you get the point....not everyone is the same and what is not a positive to one person, can be a positive to another.

We're talking averages, not just you and not just me.

I don't think the average cruiser thinks it's great to be charged another 18% over them leaving their own tip. You never had to bring cash before either, that is what the tip line was for.

You're totally proving my point though, so thanks!

Edited by SuiteCruiser

We're talking averages, not just you and not just me.

Those in the know recommend tipping in cash, but you already know that.

I don't think you can assume that what you dislike, the average cruiser dislikes, as there as been both pros and cons posted about the changes, or do I think anyone (you or me) can speak for the average cruiser, we can only speak for ourselves, unless one does a poll of all the average cruisers.

Well, then I hope you have your 18% gratuity taken off the specialty restaurants and tip in cash. I'll believe what NCL says that the gratuity goes to the specialty restaurant servers, since they are no longer included in the DSC.

Not sure what point you think I'm proving. Just because I tipped in cash opposed to putting in on the bill. That was just a decision not to have it show up on my bill at the end of the cruise, nothing else.

Edited by NLH Arizona

I don't think you can assume that what you dislike, the average cruiser dislikes, as there as been both pros and cons posted about the changes, or do I think anyone (you or me) can speak for the average cruiser, we can only speak for ourselves, unless one does a poll of all the average cruisers.

Well, then I hope you have your 18% gratuity taken off the specialty restaurants and tip in cash. I'll believe what NCL says that the gratuity goes to the specialty restaurant servers, since they are no longer included in the DSC.

I leave it in place and also tip in cash, but then again, I'm generous.

I spend a lot of time in cruise forums, because I like it, and have not seen people raving about the free meal in Orchid Garden, or the CruiseNext. I have, however, seen scathing reports of the changes everywhere, so yes, aside from running a survey, I take the wild guess that people don't care about those things and that people care a LOT about the other dozen negative changes.

Edited by SuiteCruiser

I leave it in place and also tip in cash, but then again, I'm generous.

I spend a lot of time in cruise forums, because I like it, and have not seen people raving about the free meal in Orchid Garden, or the CruiseNext. I have, however, seen scathing reports of the changes everywhere, so yes, aside from running a survey, I take the wild guess that people don't care about those things and that people care a LOT about the other dozen negative changes.

Needless to say, just because one person (you) haven't seen people raving about the free meal in the Orchid Garden, doesn't mean that they aren't. Same apples to the Cruise Next program.

People like to complain in forums far more than they compliment. Especially given the presence of self-appointed board police who attack anything positive as being nothing but "cheerleading".

According to the MEMBERS link at the top of the page, Cruise Critic only has 23,486 members that have ever made a post....and thats all members, all forums, and all cruise lines. NCL alone sails more than that many people on any given day. Even if you knew the definitive preference of every single Cruise Critic poster ever, you wouldn't even be close to knowing what the average cruiser thinks.