When did Margaritaville become a specialty on Escape?

dna529

No. NCL does not get to change the Terms and Conditions of a package you have already purchased on a whim, or because they have decided it's better for THEM, before you have even had a chance to use it! I bought what I bought based on the terms and conditions as spelled out the day of purchase, and I expect that to be honored. If you want to let NCL get away with this, your decision. They will have a battle on their hands if they try this on my cruise.

I believe I'm on the same cruise as you and I'll be standing right beside you in agreement!

Harriet

No. NCL does not get to change the Terms and Conditions of a package you have already purchased on a whim, or because they have decided it's better for THEM, before you have even had a chance to use it! I bought what I bought based on the terms and conditions as spelled out the day of purchase, and I expect that to be honored. If you want to let NCL get away with this, your decision. They will have a battle on their hands if they try this on my cruise.

I would love to see the T&C's for this venue that were in place when you booked? I didn't even know there were T&C's that cover this, unless you mean the one's where it says NCL can change any of it at their pleasure. You have no T&C's that protect you on this.

By the way, the cost on the ship is less than 1/3 to 1/4 of what Jimmy charges in his restaurants. Fish and chips at his place are $19, maybe we should let NCL know they are undercharging?;) I think it is a great bargain and I only hope they keep the cost at this level until I can try it!!!

Edited by rvsullivan

I would love to see the T&C's for this venue that were in place when you booked? I didn't even know there were T&C's that cover this, unless you mean the one's where it says NCL can change any of it at their pleasure. You have no T&C's that protect you on this.

By the way, the cost on the ship is less than 1/3 to 1/4 of what Jimmy charges in his restaurants. Fish and chips at his place are $19, maybe we should let NCL know they are undercharging?;) I think it is a great bargain and I only hope they keep the cost at this level until I can try it!!!

Honestly I would have had NO problem with this IF it was noted up front that it was an a la carte restaurant. My problem ONLY is that I as well as many others booked and paid for this cruise months and months ago believing, due to NCL's advertisements, etc. that this was a complimentary venue.

Harriet

If I had a restaurant that couldn't keep up with the flow of guests coming, I might have considered to expand the staff...

The restaurant manager for this particular location was not at all willing to have that very discussion during my sailing. This sounds a bit cruel, I know, but in my opinion she was too ignorant to know she was ignorant . . . and that one final decision she made on the last day pushed all the wrong buttons.

The venue design (with that rear automatic door near Spice, and the podium line being on the jogging track) is going to continue being a challenge for them no matter if complimentary or a la carte. Simply a cluster waiting to happen . . . and some will grin when it does.

in regards to what he charges at his restaurants, that is CRAZY

I ate at BURGR, Gordon Ramsey's restaurant in Las Vegas, and one of his burgers was less than the fish and chips for 19.00, and honestly, I think Ramsay knows a little bit more about Burgers than Margaritaville hehe

Either way, the 6.99 plus service charge is too much considering you are technically paying for food on the ship, in addition to paying extra for the specialty venue, and then 13.50pp per day for the service charges that in part pay the other restaurant workers, and then an ADDITIONAL 18% in top of that - it becomes a REALLY expensive burger then

Not talking about "this" venue. NCL will either include it in the packages, or not. My response was to the poster who stated they were told on their cruise that the UDP no longer allows more than one visit per day. The SDP specifies a certain number of meals, the UDP does not.

In theory what you say may be correct, but I do not know of any reputable companies who sell "packages" with clearly spelled out Terms and Conditions who then try to offer you something different when you try to utilize what you bought. If NCL does not stand behind the packages they sell, then who would be stupid enough to continue to buy them?

Actually last week on the Epic they told us that the UDP is no longer unlimited visits, but only one restaurant per day. I don't know if they are telling the same story on Escape or other ships. And I don't know how they count à la carte places, hopefully they will give you the 25% discount but still let you have another fully included specialty meal on the same day.
Possibly they were mistaken and confused the SDP with the UDP. Kind of like folks were told on the Escape that Margaritaville was going to have a $4.95 cover charge, which we now know was incorrect.

No. NCL does not get to change the Terms and Conditions of a package you have already purchased on a whim, or because they have decided it's better for THEM, before you have even had a chance to use it! I bought what I bought based on the terms and conditions as spelled out the day of purchase, and I expect that to be honored. If you want to let N
CL get away with this, your decision. They will have a battle on their hands if they try this on my cruise.
I wasted enough of my energy fighting over another UDP-related issue on my cruise. It was not a high priority for us to be able to eat in more than specialty restaurant every day. We were able to do that on previous cruises, but the terms of the package do not explicitly say that the package allows that, so in my opinion the issue is not as clear cut as you suggest.
Possibly they were mistaken and confused the SDP with the UDP.
I don't think so, I spoke to two different hostesses about this and one called her supervisor to confirm. They told me it has been like this for at least 6 months, and it is a directive from "shoreside". Edited by hawkeyetlse

We liked Guy's Burgers on Carnival better than the Cheeseburgers in Paradise at Margaritaville. Guy's Burgers come at no extra cost. CCL also has the Blue Iguana which is better than Chipotle also at no additional cost. We have enjoyed cruising with NCL in the past, but they have made many recent changes to nickel & dime the customers. I hope they stop this soon. We like rotating between CCL, RCI, and NCL for our cruises. NCL will be out of our rotation if they keep this up.

Sorry to say this but if you want a decent meal for lunch you may be forced to pay for it. Either Food Rebublic or Margaritaville. The food at the buffet and MDR is mediocre at best. The new menu reflects a budget and not quality.

Glad we got try try Margaritaville for free.

Sorry to say this but if you want a decent meal for lunch you may be forced to pay for it. Either Food Rebublic or Margaritaville. The food at the buffet and MDR is mediocre at best. The new menu reflects a budget and not quality.

Glad we got try try Margaritaville for free.

The last two cruises I was on I found the food at the MDR better since they changed and updated the menus.

IMO, of course. I had the UDP and still ate in the MDR from time to time.

Harriet

I believe I'm on the same cruise as you and I'll be standing right beside you in agreement!

Harriet

I am as well. Can we all request the same thing. Btw totally unrelated but I had success getting to book the Brat Pack dinner show for free on the first night using UDP (pre SDP version.)

I have always loved using UDP at two places for a late dessert and early dinner.

Pardon my ignorance.....but what is the big draw for this place anyway? A chain restaurant, on a cruise ship.....I guess Im just not seeing the attraction. I do admit, when looking for some new summer drink recipes online I stumbled across some good ones which I now realize came from this chain :) Those are tasty. :D I may have also been at one of these places at the port in Ocho Rios, but honestly can't say it was because it was a "Margaritaville", it was just because it was there and close to the ship upon our return from an excursion. I must be in the minority not to appreciate the large draw to this type of venue onboard a ship. And at a la carte pricing.....if enough people don't go, well, they wont last long I suspect. Then again, why are there so many McD's etc when you travel in other countries?? So maybe it will work out well for NCL, as well as those who wish to dine at a Margaritaville while cruising. Personally though, I couldn't see forking out that kind of money while onboard for a burger and fries. Has nothing to do with the dollar amount but everything to do with not understanding the attraction or seeing the value. Especially when so many other choices abound. But that's just me I guess.

Try to book an Escape cruise right now and it still says Margaritaville is free. I read the cruise contract and it says ordinary food is included. How much more ordinary is a burger and fries? My first NCL cruise has me really questioning why I wanted to try NCL.

Pardon my ignorance.....but what is the big draw for this place anyway? A chain restaurant, on a cruise ship.....I guess Im just not seeing the attraction.

I totally agree. It's not very impressive on land and even less impressive on ESCAPE. Nothing to write home about.

Pardon my ignorance.....but what is the big draw for this place anyway?

For me, it's not the venue. It's the fact that it was listed as a complementary venue when I booked the cruise. It was listed as a complementary venue when I paid in full for the cruise. Now, when I go and cruise in January, it's a 'pay' venue.

For me, it's the fact that it was advertised one way then changed after the fact.

Things change, I get that. But when so many things change it can make one wonder what else will change? What else did I believe, think, advertised, etc. was included with my cruise cost that is no longer...or will be no longer.

For me, it's the trust I have in a company.

Yes, they absolutely have the right to change things. It says so in the contract. I agree to that contract. But morally, I have to wonder sometimes what is really 'right'.

Don't get me wrong. I love NCL. I always have a great time and am always treated well. I'm just not 'in love' with some of their practices which, even though the contract allows, I, at times, consider false advertisement and/or bait and switch.

Some may think how can I still cruise with them? I do so knowing what I'm getting into...what I may have today and may not have tomorrow. Until I no longer enjoy cruising with them, until they no longer treat me the way they have been, I'll continue to do so.

What I have done.....is started branching out and will be trying different lines.

Royal and Celebrity are already booked for the future.

Harriet

Edited by hpecorari

I wonder what the Jimmy Buffett/margaritaville management are saying about this. I don't belive they will get many new customers or good pr out of this.

"These changes in latitudes, changes in attitudes,

Nothing remains quite the same."

These prices are higher than Food Republic. Seriously!? Although we truly enjoyed Margaritaville and enjoyed it several times, it's not even close to being on the same level as Food Republic. Heck, they are charging for the pretzel sticks which are the same ones everyone raves about in the buffet. This is stupid. The prices are way too high. I'd have paid a $5 cover, but not this.

Also, this means that despite there being more passengers than Getaway and Breakaway, there are less complimentary options. Stupid.

Edited by LrgPizza

I completely agree with the posters who are upset, because it reeks of bait-and-switch. We all booked under the impression that this would be a fun, laid-back place to eat (free) burgers, drink cocktails with little umbrellas, and basically enjoy being a Parrothead for a week. Instead, it's devolved into an under-staffed, (now) over-priced, nothing-special restaurant that doesn't even play JB's music :confused:! At least the land-based venues offer fun decor and great music while you're eating those overpriced burgers (that come with fries :rolleyes:).

It's not the prices (although they seem high since you're technically already paying for your food), it's the principle. We're staying in the Haven and have plenty of OBC, but I think I'll find something else to spend it on. I'll enjoy the Haven's burgers and fries, but hubby was really looking forward to the Buffett experience. Too bad they had to screw it up for all his kindred spirits :(.

If this works you will see Uptown disappear on the aways and become Margaritaville

We love the Flamingo Grill on Getaway and it's been a major reason we have been on that ship 3 times and have another cruise booked on her. They have the burgers and some great side dishes already made and they were fine. Usually there wasn't a line, or the line was not too long. With the Escape, we figured Margaritaville would be busier, but still thought it sounded fun for those days at sea.

And just to show we aren't trying to be 'cheap' for all of our lunches, we often went to the walk-up window at Ocean Blue for Lobster Rolls, etc, and thought those prices were great for what we were getting. Now, guess we might be thinking more of a MDR on those days we don't want to brave the crowds at the buffet. While the menu at Margaritaville sounds OK, definitely not going to pay $2.99 for a side of fries or coleslaw when the buffet is just down one flight.

I am not an extremist, I won't go as far to say that this venue was the WHOLE reason I booked this cruise *rolls eyes*. Neither will I go as far as having a full fledged kicking and screaming temper tantrum, vowing to never sail NCL again (someone else WILL fill that gaping hole you have left in NCL's broken heart).

BUT, I do think it's a snake move to change it from it's long advertised complimentary status to a la carte. That being said, I won't bother paying for what they're selling, simple as that. If enough people do this, their plan fails.

If your problem is the principle, which seems to be the consensus, don't go. Enjoy your cruise and all the other dining options!

Mediocre chain hamburgers and french fries should not be so high on anyones list of priorities...or you have bigger problems to worry about

Edited by Wetescape2016