Adults only cruises?

Jayandar

I'm not sure where you were advised that children are not allowed to sit in the front row of the theatre. On our recent Silhouette sailing, my children sat in the front row for most of the shows.

Every night we were in the theatre there was an announcement requesting that children under (12?) did not sit in the front 4 rows.

No one policed this request and many children sat in the first 4 rows.

People who were not suite quests however were not allowed to sit in the reserved seats for suite guests.

What amazes me is they get away with it. A theater full of people and no one asked that the kids be removed. Amazing.

But not surprising. As I said, rules they are only enforced when someone complains When someone complains, you can be sure they are already angry and stressed. Not what we all look for when we want to enjoy a holiday.

Every night we were in the theatre there was an announcement requesting that children under (12?) did not sit in the front 4 rows.

People who were not suite quests however were not allowed to sit in the reserved seats for suite guests.

As long as children are well behaved...and we've been fortunate to travel with well behaved children, then it's wonderful to see them enjoy the cruising experience.

What amazes me is they get away with it. A theater full of people and no one asked that the kids be removed. Amazing.

But not surprising. As I said, rules they are only enforced when someone complains When someone complains, you can be sure they are already angry and stressed. Not what we all look for when we want to enjoy a holiday.

Perhaps the kids were behaving well and no one felt the need to complain about their presence simply because they were children.

I have no issue with adults-only cruises. I just wouldn't be on those cruises.

As things currently stand, Celebrity does promote their family-friendly program, so I wouldn't sail with them if I were expecting a child-free environment.

This is a topic for adult only cruises.

If you feel that way, you should sail only on cruises where there are tons of kids and far fewer adults.

This is what I am told on threads where others insist on bringing their babies, toddlers , teens.

This for a change is a thread for those of us who want adult only cruises.

Gee, are you bucking for a moderator's position? :rolleyes:

If you are lucky to be on a kid free cruise, mention it on the questionnaire, how much you enjoyed an environment like that.

The opposite is worth mentioning as well. When we have had kids on a cruise and it only takes one, that make for a less than a pleasant experience, we have also mentioned that and asked that Celebrity enforce rules.

Celebrity needs to know that if they have kids on board they need to do all they can to make sure that their adult passengers are getting what they paid for.

Edited by norwegianwood57

If you are lucky to be on a kid free cruise, mention it on the questionnaire, how much you enjoyed an environment like that.

The opposite is worth mentioning as well. When we have had kids on a cruise and it only takes one, that make for a less than a pleasant experience, we have also mentioned that and asked that Celebrity enforce rules.

Celebrity needs to know that if they have kids on board they need to do all they can to make sure that their adult passengers are getting what they paid for.

Actually it's the parents responsibility to "enforce the rules".

You are saying if parents dont enforce the rules, Celebity will just let chaos reign. I think not. If nothing else Celebrity WILL protect its property.

But I must say they had a tough time protecting the property on one cruise we were on, when kids were carving initials in the mirrored elevators, chiseling the mosaics off a bar wall, stealing bottles of liquor that could be reached.

So maybe you are right, when parents dont discipline, it IS chaos. No wonder I have such strong views to never sail with children of any age again.

I feel like this is a slippery-slope topic, but I would be a potential customer of such a cruise. I'm not a kid person (we won't even get into overpopulation of the planet, sigh), and I have unfortunately excellent hearing, especially at high frequencies. I know all the counter-arguments, "MY kids are well-behaved", "Adults are just as bad or worse", etc.

But the problem is it only takes one wailing child to make something like a muster drill or a meal fairly unbearable. I fell for the old 'Disney is actually quite good for adults-only cruises' line, and to be fair some of the adults-only areas remained adults-only, but the snag is that there is basically no escaping the MDR. And no, late seating doesn't help. Kids (not toddlers, 7-8 year olds) screamed through our 8:30 dinner and literally lay down in the path of waiters carrying trays. Over and over, for most of the meal. Parents looked on adoringly. At that point, the roomful of other well-behaved kids (and those well-behaved kids did exist, for sure) became academic, because the lil' screamers were five feet from our table. By the end of the cruise, our fantastic wait staff had started to slip unasked-for booze into our drinks.

Not making up or embellishing any of this.

I know I'm in the minority as our culture becomes more and more kid-centric (and we can kind of see how that's playing out now as the helicopter generation starts to grow up). I was at a local sports bar/grill a few Friday nights ago for a co-worker's farewell, and at around 6pm the place was like a nursery (and sounded like one); we were all kind of dumbfounded as to why we were surrounded by toddlers in high chairs during happy hour. Again, this is not an exaggeration. We moved to a back room of the bar, but the sound carried (and if a 'little' got super out of control, Mom would bring her/him to the back of the bar, where we were, to calm down).

I know this is all hugely taboo and I expect to get shredded for it, but I'm not saying anything like 'kids don't belong on cruise lines' (had no real trouble on my NCL Getaway cruise), I'm just saying I would pay for an adults-only cruise.

No shredding here, but I have to ask, were you born an adult? Did you ever go on vacation with your parents? If so, where?

Edited by richsea

No shredding here, but I have to ask, were you born an adult? Did you ever go on vacation with your parents? If so, where?

I'll assume the first question was rhetoric, although I was one of those kids they call "precocious".

I got taken to Disneyland and later Disney World, and we spent weekends boating (lakes).

Let me know if this proves/disproves whatever point you're setting up. :)

This is a topic for adult only cruises.

If you feel that way, you should sail only on cruises where there are tons of kids and far fewer adults.

This is what I am told on threads where others insist on bringing their babies, toddlers , teens.

This for a change is a thread for those of us who want adult only cruises.

That is just a silly comparison, poor acting adults can be on any cruise whether adult only or not.

We only ever arrived at the theatre 10 to 15 minutes before showtime, and never heard such announcements made. If we had, we most certainly have moved back.