Adults only cruises?

Jayandar

The Silhouette is sailing an adults only charter right now.

The only option i would say you have to get anywhere near no kids would be a transatlantic crossing... We've done 3 on celebrity and you could count on one hand the kids onboard each...[emoji4] #bliss

Yes, #bliss would be correct.

Search for bliss cruises and you will find your adult only cruises.

I raised some discussion on this at the black jack table one night. I raised a few eyebrows, and most did not believe me.

I think it sailed the week or two after we got off Silhouette.

I'm not expert, but laws were passed back in the late 80's which made discrimination in public accommodations illegal if based upon age. An exception was made for senior, over 55, communities. Prior to this law, there were numerous adults only apartment complexes. No more. I'm not a lawyer but I would not be surprised if adult only cruises (except for charters) resulted in lawsuits.

Different countries, different laws.

P&O sailing from Southampton have at least 2 adult only ships.

Having done only 2 Celebrity cruises and both departing from San Juan we found them virtually childless. Airfare to San Juan is much higher than to Florida so this discourages some families. Without the slides, skating rinks and climbing walls Celebrity would not be the first choice of families.

The few children we saw were both well behaved and well dressed :).

On our 14 night RCL from Boston to Tampa there were 6 kids on the ship. Our RCL in Nov. in Australia was also virtually childless.

I think itinerary and timing has a lot to do with it.

We have been very fortunate with our cruises as we tend to go outside school holidays. We did one cruise over Christmas which was totally ruined by the children onboard and have never gone at Christmas again.

We sailed the Caribbean for 14 nights, starting January 7th in 2002. We were told there had been 550+ children on the previous Christmas / New Year cruise. So glad we had waited ( actually celebrating my 60 th birthday, so it was ideal, as it was so much cheaper too)

It is the first thread where I can say, I love cruises with no kids in sight and not be attacked for saying that.

We have had some terrible experiences , when Celeb had a promo that kids sailed free. It was so bad that Celeb gave compensation for a future cruise.

Several rules were changed as a result of that cruise. No longer are kids allowed to sit in the first few rows of the theater, as they were climbing up on stage, with their parents seated right there.

I am sure , I am not allowed to mention all the horrible experiences we have had here, that would be another topic.

It is the first thread where I can say, I love cruises with no kids in sight and not be attacked for saying that.

We have had some terrible experiences , when Celeb had a promo that kids sailed free. It was so bad that Celeb gave compensation for a future cruise.

Several rules were changed as a result of that cruise. No longer are kids allowed to sit in the first few rows of the theater, as they were climbing up on stage, with their parents seated right there.

I am sure , I am not allowed to mention all the horrible experiences we have had here, that would be another topic.

This is a different type of thread, it is about the request to have a child free cruise. That is totally different than your usual comments in threads where people ask for advice on taking their kids on a Celebrity cruise. You then tell them go on another line and other negative things even though as far as I know you have never taken a child on a Celebrity cruise. That is why you were "attacked." This is a good thread and a good topic to discuss. Right place, right time.

We realized after a cruise on the Reflection a couple of years ago that even our lovely hump balcony wasn't the refuge we'd hoped for. People next door had 18 month old who somehow escaped their cabin (I guess leaving your door open will do that :-) and the child started crawling under the divider to join us. How scary is that?

the parents were very apologetic but that plus the whining and crying out there a few times (sounds captured even on our vacation video while recording sailaways) told us that we should lower our expectations regarding Celebrity refined experience going forward.

This wasn't during a holiday time or school vacstion and it wouldn't matter since the child was that young.

We no longer have loyalty to any cruiseline since we feel they are all migrating to the same bring your babies that the other lines are doing. I agree that longer or unusual cuise itineraries will bring fewer children.

Future cruises: Itinerary, length, smaller ships without theme parks on top and the biggest balcony we can afford oh...and the beverage package!

Having done only 2 Celebrity cruises and both departing from San Juan we found them virtually childless. Airfare to San Juan is much higher than to Florida so this discourages some families. Without the slides, skating rinks and climbing walls Celebrity would not be the first choice of families.

On our 14 night RCL from Boston to Tampa there were 6 kids on the ship. Our RCL in Nov. in Australia was also virtually childless.

Regarding sailing from San Juan - I was very reluctant to sail on the Summit out of San Juan. There had been much discussion here on CC about very large extended family groups and the children being uncontrolled. We did finally sail out of San Juan, but it was a repositioning cruise, and I figured that was why we lucked out with the lack of children. Not that I dislike children, I have a couple myself, but I'm not a fan of uncontrolled free-range troublemaking children.

Does Celebrity ever advertise any no-kids cruises, as they once did? This might be an incentive to getting some of our "never-cruised" friends to actually consider booking.

Never seen Celebrity advertise one.

Charters maybe.

I think every cruise I've Ben on there have only been a handful of kids and they've Ben better behaved than some adults.

You left out the part about it being a nudist cruise

It's a clothing - optional cruise. While most pax will certainly be nude as much as possible, it is not required. If one is not comfortable being nude themselves but not offended by other people's nudity, it is certainly an option for an adults only experience. Nudists are some of the most down to earth, friendly and easy going people I know.

I feel like this is a slippery-slope topic, but I would be a potential customer of such a cruise. I'm not a kid person (we won't even get into overpopulation of the planet, sigh), and I have unfortunately excellent hearing, especially at high frequencies. I know all the counter-arguments, "MY kids are well-behaved", "Adults are just as bad or worse", etc.

But the problem is it only takes one wailing child to make something like a muster drill or a meal fairly unbearable. I fell for the old 'Disney is actually quite good for adults-only cruises' line, and to be fair some of the adults-only areas remained adults-only, but the snag is that there is basically no escaping the MDR. And no, late seating doesn't help. Kids (not toddlers, 7-8 year olds) screamed through our 8:30 dinner and literally lay down in the path of waiters carrying trays. Over and over, for most of the meal. Parents looked on adoringly. At that point, the roomful of other well-behaved kids (and those well-behaved kids did exist, for sure) became academic, because the lil' screamers were five feet from our table. By the end of the cruise, our fantastic wait staff had started to slip unasked-for booze into our drinks.

Not making up or embellishing any of this.

I know I'm in the minority as our culture becomes more and more kid-centric (and we can kind of see how that's playing out now as the helicopter generation starts to grow up). I was at a local sports bar/grill a few Friday nights ago for a co-worker's farewell, and at around 6pm the place was like a nursery (and sounded like one); we were all kind of dumbfounded as to why we were surrounded by toddlers in high chairs during happy hour. Again, this is not an exaggeration. We moved to a back room of the bar, but the sound carried (and if a 'little' got super out of control, Mom would bring her/him to the back of the bar, where we were, to calm down).

I know this is all hugely taboo and I expect to get shredded for it, but I'm not saying anything like 'kids don't belong on cruise lines' (had no real trouble on my NCL Getaway cruise), I'm just saying I would pay for an adults-only cruise.

Edited by perditax

I agree with Don ... you are not "attacked" because you want a child-free cruise. Your "opinion" is corrected when you advise potential cruisers that Celebrity does not want children on board and that they should choose another cruise line that would (in your opinion) be better for children.

I'm not sure where you were advised that children are not allowed to sit in the front row of the theatre. On our recent Silhouette sailing, my children sat in the front row for most of the shows.

Interesting topic - after doing RCCI for 14 years, we did our first and second Celebrity sailings this year. The first was a late April repositioning cruise on the Summit from San Juan to Bayonne. The last was Thanksgiving week on the Silhouette.

We had almost no kids on the Repo cruise and several hundred last week. All in all the kids were pretty well behaved. They stayed away from the Solarium, were not a problem in Oceanview and there were none in Blu.

For us, we cruised Royal when the kids were at home but we do like Celebrity because of the more mature vibe. That being said, I wouldn't pay extra for an adults only cruise. I guess since they don't bother me I don't consider it a huge deal.

Queen then your children were breaking the rules. Or maybe the rules are being "overlooked" as they often are.

Staff often do not enforce rules that are clearly posted.

The pool area, rules, rules and more rules. Everyone of them broken constantly and the staff turn a blind eye to them unless a guest makes a complaint. By then you are already feeling stressed that you have to be the one to bring the violation to the attention of staff, who are right there to see for themselves.

Yes I will be one of those who will say NO more screaming spoiled brats on cruises. Keep them out of the way of adult cruisers who do not want to see kids in MD, or worse strollers as you come in, or babies changed by the pool. Disgusting.

I love this topic.

Celebrity there are lots and lots of us who have not been able to speak up here. We want adult only cruises. Thank you for not having the amenities that attract the kids as other ships do. Let them all go there.

Regarding sailing from San Juan - I was very reluctant to sail on the Summit out of San Juan. There had been much discussion here on CC about very large extended family groups and the children being uncontrolled. We did finally sail out of San Juan, but it was a repositioning cruise, and I figured that was why we lucked out with the lack of children. Not that I dislike children, I have a couple myself, but I'm not a fan of uncontrolled free-range troublemaking children.

Pretty much how I feel about some of the "adults" we meet on board. They can be far worse than the kids! :rolleyes:

Queen then your children were breaking the rules. Or maybe the rules are being "overlooked" as they often are.

Staff often do not enforce rules that are clearly posted.

The pool area, rules, rules and more rules. Everyone of them broken constantly and the staff turn a blind eye to them unless a guest makes a complaint. By then you are already feeling stressed that you have to be the one to bring the violation to the attention of staff, who are right there to see for themselves.

Yes I will be one of those who will say NO more screaming spoiled brats on cruises. Keep them out of the way of adult cruisers who do not want to see kids in MD, or worse strollers as you come in, or babies changed by the pool. Disgusting.

I love this topic.

Celebrity there are lots and lots of us who have not been able to speak up here. We want adult only cruises. Thank you for not having the amenities that attract the kids as other ships do. Let them all go there.

The rule about the kids sitting in the first couple of rows is not on all ships or cruises. It actually depends on the type of show so you are wrong in telling Queen that her kids were breaking the rules.

I've said this before but you need to understand that back when Celebrity was taken over by Royal they were in deep trouble financially. If you get your way, Celebrity will not be around much longer.

[/b]

Pretty much how I feel about some of the "adults" we meet on board. They can be far worse than the kids! :rolleyes:

This is a topic for adult only cruises.

If you feel that way, you should sail only on cruises where there are tons of kids and far fewer adults.

This is what I am told on threads where others insist on bringing their babies, toddlers , teens.

This for a change is a thread for those of us who want adult only cruises.