Free Cruise with Royal Caribbean CC Points?

eel

So currently if I look at the lowest priced outside on the Freedom sailing in question the base cruise fare for two is $1806 for the lowest priced outside cabin before the BOGO discounts. My base cruise fare (without discounts) for the balcony I have booked is $1598. So it seems on paper that I should get this cruise for free (just pay taxes). Am I missing something here?

They will remove the balcony discount (if any) and credit you with whatever the price is of the least expensive available outside stateroom, minus taxes. So you could get the stateroom for a very low cost.

Exactly why i got rid of my Royal CC. Used to get fantastic deals with free cruises - then they changed the rules. Basically OBC was about all I could get. So I said goodbye to the Royal card, used my remaining points to pay for OBC to use for beverage pkgs and got a Barclay Elite card that gives me 2x points for everything. Redeeming for a credit on my bill is SOOOOO easy. So now I use those points to pay for the pkg. I order it from Royal and then redeem points for a credit. So much better than Royal. Royals CC was great when it started then got to be nothing.

So currently if I look at the lowest priced outside on the Freedom sailing in question the base cruise fare for two is $1806 for the lowest priced outside cabin before the BOGO discounts. My base cruise fare (without discounts) for the balcony I have booked is $1598. So it seems on paper that I should get this cruise for free (just pay taxes). Am I missing something here?

They will remove the balcony discount (if any) and credit you with whatever the price is of the least expensive available outside stateroom, minus taxes. So you could get the stateroom for a very low cost.

If $1806 is the least expensive available oceanview stateroom, that is the credit you should get (as you are entitled to up to $2500). However, I believe they will look at the current price of the balcony you have booked (and will not permit you to use a balcony discount, as has been pointed out). Is your balcony still the same price today as when you booked it?

If $1806 is the least expensive available oceanview stateroom, that is the credit you should get (as you are entitled to up to $2500). However, I believe they will look at the current price of the balcony you have booked (and will not permit you to use a balcony discount, as has been pointed out). Is your balcony still the same price today as when you booked it?

If they do that, it would be a new policy that we have not experienced.

It looks that way to me assuming like Bob said that you do not have a balcony discount that would come off. I would give them a call just to make sure

It looks that way to me assuming like Bob said that you do not have a balcony discount that would come off. I would give them a call just to make sure

So I decided to switch gears and look at using 50K points for a 3 night cruise on Enchantment in mid-January. I have a business trip to Orlando planned around then so could have added this on.

The web price for this cruise is $389 pp for an Oceanview. Total cost just under $1000. There was no BOGO so I thought this was in the bag since the voucher is supposed to be OK up to $100 value. I called Royal since the cruise is past final payment. They said I would have to pay for the cruise in full upon booking but they would refund my credit card once the voucher was processed.

Next I asked exactly how much credit I would get. The said the web price offered was a PROMOTION and that the "list price" was like $629 pp for an Oceanview. With taxes I was going to have to pay almost $500 for the cruise AFTER applyng the free cruise voucher. So no advantage over just taking the 50K points as a $500 on board credit.

So I have pretty much decided it is just not worth the hassle anymore to try to get free cruises with points. Will just use up all my points as OBC until they are gone and then we will just close the card. Will just use my Fidelity AMEX to pay for future cruises. 2% cash back is better than double cruise points in my book.

Yes, as you found out I can be difficult to use points for a cruise. We did find one cruise that I THINK we can use points for three night. Again let me stay, I am so disappointed that Royal Caribbean has made it so difficult for the loyal customers to redeem this benefit. Generally using the points for a free cruise is the best bang for the buck.

Enjoy your cruise

M

So I decided to switch gears and look at using 50K points for a 3 night cruise on Enchantment in mid-January. I have a business trip to Orlando planned around then so could have added this on.

The web price for this cruise is $389 pp for an Oceanview. Total cost just under $1000. There was no BOGO so I thought this was in the bag since the voucher is supposed to be OK up to $100 value. I called Royal since the cruise is past final payment. They said I would have to pay for the cruise in full upon booking but they would refund my credit card once the voucher was processed.

Next I asked exactly how much credit I would get. The said the web price offered was a PROMOTION and that the "list price" was like $629 pp for an Oceanview. With taxes I was going to have to pay almost $500 for the cruise AFTER applyng the free cruise voucher. So no advantage over just taking the 50K points as a $500 on board credit.

So I have pretty much decided it is just not worth the hassle anymore to try to get free cruises with points. Will just use up all my points as OBC until they are gone and then we will just close the card. Will just use my Fidelity AMEX to pay for future cruises. 2% cash back is better than double cruise points in my book.

I finally went ahead and got the Chase Sapphire Preferred card this week. We have about 40k points on the RCCL Visa and we'll probably just end up using that for OBC on our Oasis cruise in April, then just put it away.

Plus, Sapphire has so many more benefits beyond just points (i.e. Trip Cancellation/Interruption Insurance up to $10,000).

We have the Barclaycard Arrival Plus, which is one of the best travel reward cards (Chase Sapphire is highly rated as well). It is super easy to redeem points for ANY travel, because it's done strictly through Barclay, and you're not at the mercy of Royal with it's "sorry, you forfeit this discount if you use this one." The Barclaycard also comes with a sweet startup bonus and has its own shopping portal with 100's of retail partners (ones you probably actually shop at), which gets you even more points per dollar when you shop through it. You'd fall out of your chair if I told you how many travel points I've racked up in the 5 months I've had this card, from putting all of our daily expenses on it (and paying off entirely each month) and shopping through their rewards portal.

Edited by emory2001

I like the Sam's Master Card.

5% on Gas

3% on travel including cruises, airlines, hotels, and restaurants.

1% on the rest. I use 1.5% Quicksilver for the 'rest'.

It's cash back and cash is always combinable with all promotions, sales, etc., and it can be used anywhere.

The other way to use your points is to get the best price for the cruise possible. Then redeem 50K for $500 towards the price of the cruise and do it two times therefore using 100K in points for a total of $1000. Then you still have a few points remaining for OBC.

The other way to use your points is to get the best price for the cruise possible. Then redeem 50K for $500 towards the price of the cruise and do it two times therefore using 100K in points for a total of $1000. Then you still have a few points remaining for OBC.

Easier to just get OBC. It is refundable OBC so comes back on your credit card if you don't spend it.

Edited by eel

Easier to just get OBC. It is refundable OBC so comes back on your credit card if you don't spend it.

Remember, if the money comes back to the Royal Visa card, you lose double points. Better to take the cash out on the last night.

Remember, if the money comes back to the Royal Visa card, you lose double points. Better to take the cash out on the last night.

I learned that once the hard way. Now when I expect a refund I use another card where that is not a problem!

5% on Gas

It's cash back and cash is always combinable with all promotions, sales, etc., and it can be used anywhere.

I like the 5% on gas and 3% on travel. But we are Costco people with no Sam's Club nearby. Costco is switching from AMEX to Capital One so I am hoping their credit card benefits improve.

Maybe I don't get it but although the Barclays Card and Chase Sapphire sound like good cards don't they just give you 2% in travel rewards? I know there are signup bonuses with both cards which are a nice benefit too. Are there ways to get more than 2% on purchases with those cards?

For now 2% cash back on all purchases with the Fidelity AMEX works for me!

5% on Gas

We dumped the Royal Visa for the Sam's card.

The rewards are adding up much quicker. Only wish I had made the switch 3 years ago.

I like the 5% on gas and 3% on travel. But we are Costco people with no Sam's Club nearby. Costco is switching from AMEX to Capital One so I am hoping their credit card benefits improve.

Maybe I don't get it but although the Barclays Card and Chase Sapphire sound like good cards don't they just give you 2% in travel rewards? I know there are signup bonuses with both cards which are a nice benefit too. Are there ways to get more than 2% on purchases with those cards?

I'm not sure about the Costco card, but you can use Chase Sapphire points as 1:1 travel partner points as well. Not just cash. In many cases the partner points are a better value.

Example: $400 flight on United would cost 40,000 points if you used the dollar value. But, that same $400 flight may be only 20,000 United points.

You also want to make sure that the spend value of your points are equal to or greater than the earned value of your points. In other words, if you earned points at 2 points per dollar you want to make sure the value of your redeemed points are also 2 points per dollar or more.

Example: You earned 20,000 points at a 2 point earned value, which means you spent $10,000 to earn 20,000 points. Hyatt has a room for 8,000 Gold Passport points, but the room only cost $80. That would only be a 1 point spend value (80/8000 = .01) on a 2 point earned value. The value of your points were cut in half in that example. If the room was $160 then the value of your 8,000 points are now equal to the value when you earned them (160/8000 = .02).

This example is only relevant for partner points. Obviously, if you only have cash value then earning double points is always good regardless of how you redeem them.

Thankfully, credit card sites will give you a breakdown of how you earned your points and at what value. So, you can make sure to use your points wisely.

Not sure what cards offer the ability to spend as cash and as partner points, but the flexibility Sapphire provides in that area is the reason I went with it. Plus shopping through their portal gives up to 25 bonus points per dollar depending on the retailer and they have hundreds of brand name retailers with bonus points.

Edited by lv2bcruzin

• 4 weeks later...

Jumping in to this thread to ask another point redemption question.

DH and I are planning on redeeming 50,000 points for a "free" 4 night cruise in March or April. I know we will have to pay full price (not the listed BOGO price) but will be still receive the OBC?

Costco is switching to Citi.

DH and I are planning on redeeming 50,000 points for a "free" 4 night cruise in March or April. I know we will have to pay full price (not the listed BOGO price) but will be still receive the OBC?

Yes, they will apply the redemption the non-sale price price of the cruise. Check if taking $500 off the sale price would be a better deal.

In recent years it has worked out better for us to redeem 50,000 points for $500 to be used against the cost of the cruise. Like this we can get the BOGOHO and whatever other things that come with it like OBC and use the $500 value as part of our payment.

See which works better for you.