Splendor drydock

lisajm

I agree.. What makes a ship more "China Friendly"? Will they change the Pink motif for a red motif?

I was thinking the same thing (LOL)

I've been on Splendor 5X.....don't see the need to change a thing but I'm really bummed that there are no winter sailings from New York on any Carnival ship.

Well, the Splendor's page on the Carnival site now lists the Playlist Productions and Hasbro Game Show as "coming soon."

So one could assume those non-structural changes will be coming.

Nothing new listed as coming under food options.

http://www.carnival.com/cruise-ships/carnival-splendor.aspx

We just booked for the March 20th cruise for spring break, which will be the first one after drydock. I can check out anything people may be interested in knowing while onboard. Any major things you want me to look for?

I don't think it is going into dry dock in February as I sail on the 21st of Feb and I haven't heard of us not sailing. I better be sailing with all the reservations I have and husband doing doubles to get time off work.

For what it's worth, we booked the Splendor for the May 7th cruise a couple weeks ago. When I was talking with my PVP about it, he told me about the dry dock and said they were adding a Guy's and all the other restaurants the rest of the fleet has. After reading everything about China, I just sent him an email about it to confirm what upgrades the Splendor is in fact getting.

I don't think it is going into dry dock in February as I sail on the 21st of Feb and I haven't heard of us not sailing. I better be sailing with all the reservations I have and husband doing doubles to get time off work.

Correct. Not February. March 6-20.

(See here - https://help.goccl.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/3307/session/L2F2LzEvdGltZS8xNDU0ODc3NzA5L3NpZC9sa2g0SnZJbQ%3D%3D)

When we made the reservation for March 20, it was the first thing our host let us know -- that we'd be one the first sailing post-drydock.

Originally, Carnival talked of full 2.0 renovations during this time.

(See here - http://www.beyondships2.com/carnival-splendor-hotel-director.html)

But later John Heald later said the 2.0 upgrades weren't coming.

(Here -

)

And subsequent indications are basically what folks have said above -- basic refurbishments, maintenance and (now it appears) some of the updated entertainment offerings.

Edited by smaxwell

orrect. Not February. March 6-20.

(See here - https://help.goccl.com/app/answers/d...g0SnZJbQ%3D%3D)

When we made the reservation for March 20, it was the first thing our host let us know -- that we'd be one the first sailing post-drydock.

Originally, Carnival talked of full 2.0 renovations during this time.

(See here - http://www.beyondships2.com/carnival...-director.html)

But later John Heald later said the 2.0 upgrades weren't coming.

(Here - https://www.facebook.com/JohnHeald/p...c_location=ufi)

And subsequent indications are basically what folks have said above -- basic refurbishments, maintenance and (now it appears) some of the updated entertainment offerings.

I am so glad that the Splendor is not getting rid of the Tandoor buffet in order to put in Guy's Burger Joint. If you are watching calories, the Tandoor buffet has healthy low fat delicious Indian food choices. I can get a cheeseburger anywhere, but finding excellent Indian food is always a challenge. Bravo! If you like Indian food, you will love the Tandoor aboard the Splendor. The Splendor is a beautiful ship. It is not "pink". It is mauve with lots of gorgeous black granite that tones it down. I can't wait to get back on her again! My favorite ship out of 8 for Carnival ships. The Cloud 9 spa is tuh die for!

I hope that is true about the Tandoor. I am a bit skeptical because I remember , just before my second cruise on Freedom, she went into drydock, and there never was any definitive word on what whether it would stay or not, and only when she came out of dry dock, did I hear from other cruisers that Tandoor was gone, and Guy's was in it's place instead.

Now, I do happen to somewhat like a Guy burger, but maybe only one or two max per 7 day cruise. But Tandoor; I could have lunch there every day:D

I really do hope they keep the Tandoor though, since I will be on Spendor later this year.:)

I hope that is true about the Tandoor. I am a bit skeptical because I remember , just before my second cruise on Freedom, she went into drydock, and there never was any definitive word on what whether it would stay or not, and only when she came out of dry dock, did I hear from other cruisers that Tandoor was gone, and Guy's was in it's place instead.

Now, I do happen to somewhat like a Guy burger, but maybe only one or two max per 7 day cruise. But Tandoor; I could have lunch there every day:D

I really do hope they keep the Tandoor though, since I will be on Spendor later this year.:)

It looks as though Guy's is not going in, and since Guy's is installed where the Tandoor buffet typically is, we might be safe! Have you been on the Splendor before? You MUST go to the Cloud 9 spa at least one day. The tepidarium and thallosotherapy pool are so worth it! Heaven.

I have never been to a spa on a ship before! But I have seen photos of the one on Splendor in reviews, and it sure does look inviting. what is a tepidarium?:o I am thinking that I will have to check out this spa!

It ok, I googled tepidarium. Sounds wonderful, and sounds like something I would like today, on this cold Ottawa winter day!

Edited by SMSACE6

I agree - just say it already! I don't know why they stay so tight-lipped about it. Still, I don't sail on her until next fall, so plenty of time to know what it will be.

I would like Alchemy (for the pineapple chipotle martinis), Cucina del Capitano (I'm assuming this is an Italian eatery), Blue Iguana (for the killer margaritas) and Guy's (for the yummy obvious reasons)...that is my wish list!

I just got off the Splendor a week ago and was told she would not be getting the Alchemy bar because she is going to China.

Pat

March is a few days away and still no one knows what exactly is going to be done to splendor? I have a May 26th cruise booked with a final payment date of March 12th. If I don't find out by then or it is a minor dry dock I may cancel.

March is a few days away and still no one knows what exactly is going to be done to splendor? I have a May 26th cruise booked with a final payment date of March 12th. If I don't find out by then or it is a minor dry dock I may cancel.

We are on the first sailing after dry dock, which is March 20, so I don't think you'll get your answers before your final payment is due.

I've been on Splendor 5X.....don't see the need to change a thing but I'm really bummed that there are no winter sailings from New York on any Carnival ship.

i hear you on that! Carnival, please come back to New York in winter! Just when I was about to book cruises from New York to escape the winter, Carnival pulls out!

Looking forward to sailing Splendor out of Miami next January. I sailed Splendor out of New York 2 years ago and loved the ship (loved the spa cabins and amenities). From now on, I prefer to book ships with Cloud 9 Spa.

I don't mind the pink! Loved this ship though!

Edited by ibcnusoon

We are on the first sailing after dry dock, which is March 20, so I don't think you'll get your answers before your final payment is due.

On John Heald's website a couple of weeks back, he said there would be NO 2.0 upgrades such as Red Frog, Guy's, etc. since the ship would be going to China in 2017. So I would only guess that it is for routine maintenance - paint, carpet, mattresses where needed, etc.

I was thinking the same thing (LOL)

Carnival really screwed us over by pulling out. :mad:

They bowed to the competition. NCL and RC sails year round.

I would hope to have some definite answers by then. Not just a "surprise, here's the ship". I'm sure if they are adding any venues it will be announced sometime before dry dock.