KONINGSDAM has arrived at Geirangerfjord!

Topsham

Hi John,

Just a couple of points. Euromast was completed in 1960. Building started in 1958.... intended to be named Eurotower but 1958 it was changed as Euromast.

I got into a mess with this one. I had to have ROTTERDAM, Euromast at the right time... so I went for 1960. Over at the right under the Euromast in the painting is the famous tug salvage tug 'THAMES' owned by L. Smit & Co. Sleepdeinst. The funnel was black with a red band. Only problem is... the THAMES was transferred to a different company.... Overseas Towage & Salvage & Co. London.... happened BEFORE Euromast was finished! So... I went with the THAMES... painted in the buff colour funnel and the new named SALVONIA and to be safe... said it was 1961. SALVONIA 'might' have been there on the Maas. Not later than 1963 because SALVONIA sank off Bombay Shoal!

I hear there will be a very large model of the 1938 Nw AMSTERDAM will be on display also. I was tempted to paint Nw A.... but ROTTERDAM won. :D

Stephen

Thanks Captain! Mast in Dutch = also mast in English. while Toren in Dutch = Tower in English

Still hoping for an updated version/new edition of "The Spotless Fleet" incl. your Eurodam, Nieuw Amsterdam IV and Koningsdam pieces ;)

Thanks for sharing your work with us! It is a pleasure, as always, to see it.

I hope you enjoy your Christmas holiday. As it turns out, I am booked on the Maasdam and it appears we are scheduled to be in Grand Turk along with you and the SAGA SAPPHIRE on Boxing Day. It would be fun to meet you, but I expect you might be busy with other things.

Just checked. Yes Grand Turks on Boxing Day. I'm sure I won't have anything planned!

OK... e-mail me.... I'm sure I can fill in the blanks for you....

p r i n s e n d a m @ ho t m a i l dot c o m

I wonder who will be on MAASDAM?

OK... make a plan. Passport nos etc. Right at the same jetty... and both blue hulls.... but SAGA SAPPHIRE is the little one. :-)

Stephen

Beautiful paintings Stephen. Doubt I'll ever get to see them though. Don't like flying from Vancouver to Florida. Nothing direct and I'm too old now for all the trouble making connections. Have a glorious cruise on the Saga Sapphire and a Very Merry Christmas and a Happy and Healthy New Year. :):D:) Cheers.

I too add to the kudos for your brilliant work, Captain! It has always been a great pleasure viewing your works and I will get to see these in person in May 2016 on Koningsdam. Best wishes for a well earned break. Cheers, Sir! :)

Your thread title took me more than a little aback! I just could not understand the location of the Koningsdam at this time of year.

Now I get it. Lovely painting. I'm looking forward to seeing it in person.

Thanks for sharing it. And another painting of my beloved Rotterdam '59.

At last I hope I can show what I have been up to in my studio for the last four and a half months.... with no weekends off and TWO cruises cancelled!

One thing I love about HAL ships is the art. Best in the business, if you ask me. Forgive my ignorance...I don't know many people on this board. Are you the artist who did this?

ry%3D480

One thing I love about HAL ships is the art. Best in the business, if you ask me. Forgive my ignorance...I don't know many people on this board. Are you the artist who did this?

Guilty! There are six HAL paintings on board the OOSTERDAM.

Also you find some works on Carnival ships, the COSTA VICTORIA, QUEEN MARY 2, QUEEN VICTORIA, QUEEN ELIZABETH, the Saga ships.

Stephen

...........................OK... make a plan. Passport nos etc. Right at the same jetty... and both blue hulls.... but SAGA SAPPHIRE is the little one. :-)

Stephen

Would be great if former HAL staff captain, and now captain for Saga Cruises, Nick Sunderland, would be master on Saga Sapphire with you :)

At last I hope I can show what I have been up to in my studio for the last four and a half months.... with no weekends off and TWO cruises cancelled!

Here are the two new paintings for the KONINGSDAM to be hung in the Crows Next. First is a portrait of the new ship.... shown with the backdrop of the Seven Sisters waterfalls at Geirangerfjord. In the distance, the Norwegian Sail Training Ship SORLANDET.

The second piece.... one of Holland America's most favourite ship... the ROTTERDAM! Here arriving in the Port of Rotterdam c. 1961. At right the STATENDAM at de Wilhelminakade... and you can see the Euromast and more distant... the Maas Tunnel. Why this painting? Well, quite simple.... cruised in this ship for 340 days. I can paint this ship without even thinking!

Soon to be hung on board... five paintings from the STATENDAM and three from the RYNDAM. Beginning to look like a museum!

My work is complete. Have a good Christmas..... I'm sailing on Monday for a 35 day cruise .... UK to Caribbean and back.... in the SAGA SAPPHIRE.

Stephen

I have been on HAL ships for over 19 years and have seen your paintings of the HAL ships.

I have liked them all and these two did not disappoint. I look forward to seeing them on the Koningsdam.

Himself

Again, many thanks. All I do is put a bit of paint in the right places.... the rest is just the beauty of HAL ships!

I had an e-mail yesterday from Stan Kupppens, Hotel Manager working very hard on board KONINGSDAM in the shipyard. The ship leaves the yard for the first technical trials in early January. He says the ship is going to be very beautiful. Good news for sure. I think by then we will start seeing some video and photos of the ship.

Stephen