Cruise start in Rome or stop in Rome?

bookworm61

We are looking to book a cruise that could start in Barcelona or in Rome. Is there an advantage to one or the other? I think considerations would be airfare from JFK to one or the other and also which is a better city to spend a few days pre-cruise. I have had the impression that Rome as a cruise stop (rather than a departure port) would be somewhat rushed due to the distance from the port and the many things of interest to do. Any advice on the best way to book this would be appreciated. :)

Yes if your cruise begins in Rome you can spend a few days there and take you time to see many of the amazing sites. If you dock at the port for one day between a ninety minute drive each way your time is very limited. Now I like Barcelona as well but I think there is much more to see in Rome than in Barcelona.

So, if this was me I would find a cruise that starts or ends in Rome and if you have limited time I would make Rome your pre cruise.

Keith

It really depends on where you would want to spend more time. For us it was Rome hands down. We spent 3 days pre cruise and wished we had spent more. There was so much to see and do and I fell in love with Italy, Rome especially.

As far as the cruise, embarkation was a breeze as most people chose to embark in Barcelona. It was a bit chaotic getting back on the ship after our port call in Barcelona with so many embarking but once we found the correct line we were on board in minutes.

If you are big on the sail away then you will want Barcelona because in Rome they did not have one, once again because you will be joining mid cruise. To us that was not a big deal.

If we do this itinerary again I will choose to embark in Rome again but as I said it really depends on where you want to spend the most time. Hope this was helpful in your decision.

Rome, Rome, Rome - hands down…….. we have done 5 Med cruises and have always cruised out of Rome (with most ending in Rome !) All except one. There are a few "repositioning cruises" from time to time. These are cruises that begin in one port and end in another.

Our first Med cruise we started in Rome - did a 9 day cruise - and then got off in Barcelona. We spent 2 nights in Rome before and 1 night in Barcelona after.

Next year we are doing another repositioning cruise. We begin in Amsterdam (2 nights pre cruise) and end in Rome. So we get to see a bunch of new ports but still get our Rome "fix" with 2 nights post cruise at the end :D

So if your schedule is flexible - look around for a repositioning cruise and you get the best of both worlds.

I would vote for a Rome start because of the drive from the port to downtown. But Barcelona has so much to offer. I didn't know Picaso could draw faces till I went to the wonderful Picaso Museum there. Monserrat should not be missed. Tough decision.

I would personally pick Rome over Barcelona for a pre-cruise stay, having spent time in both cities pre-cruise as well as on one-day port calls, for all the reasons others have said. I enjoy Barcelona, but I think Rome is a much more interesting city. Plus, ships dock right there in Barcelona, so you can see more of Barcelona on a port call than you can of Rome because you dock so far away in Civitaveccchia.

Yet another vote for Rome seems kinda superfluous. ;)

But yes, Barca is much more doable as port-of-call because the city is right outside the port gate.

And although more time is always welcome anywhere, you can make a pretty good fist of seeing Barca in that one day whereas for Rome you have to choose just a couple of major sights or rush round as many as you can.

I'd do it pre-cruise, for two reasons.

You need to fly out to a departure port at least a day early to avoid a flight cancellation or delay screwing-up your cruise.

At the end of a cruise, most folks have thoughts only for home. And the desire to get there soonest.

So that's sorted then.:)

Except that the dieselhead has come in from the blindside by mentioning Venice. Doh!!

Means a total change of itinerary, mebbe even a change of cruise line.

But yes, I'd rate Venice over Barcelona. And the other ports like Dubrovnik or Split, and the Greek islands, and mebbe a Turkish port.

I think Princess & Celebrity operate Venice to Rome and vice-versa.

JB :)

Excellent advice, all around. Thank you! Re Venice, we did round trip Venice to Greek Isles last year and it was one of the best vacations we have ever had. We're ready for another trip this summer.

I did check airfares though and it is quite a bit more costly to fly to Rome than Barcelona, so that may be a bit of a factor in the decision.

Thank you all again for your input!!

I think both Rome and Barcelona are good choices and have visited both cities many times. I think you should do some research and decide exactly what you want to see. Both cities have plenty to offer, but they are very different things. IMHO the accommodation in Barcelona is better than in Rome for something of the same price.

If you are big on the sail away then you will want Barcelona because in Rome they did not have one, once again because you will be joining mid cruise. To us that was not a big deal.

If you start in Rome won't you still get the big sail away in Barcelona being that the cruise isn't over with yet?

I'd go with Rome as I personally feel like it's a more interesting place and takes more time to explore.

If you start in Rome won't you still get the big sail away in Barcelona being that the cruise isn't over with yet?

I'd go with Rome as I personally feel like it's a more interesting place and takes more time to explore.

Agree - with cruises that embark in multiple ports it doesn't matter which port you get on at - it is still a sail away for those who just got on :D

• 3 weeks later...

You may not get the big sail away from Barcelona, in that, depending on the time of day you sail away on just a cruise stop, it may be late and there won't be much to see and/or you'll be at dinner. Have found this on several voyages and ports.

Is leaving Rome one of the "Sailaways" not to be missed like some great harbours eg Sydney, Hong Kong

Port is Civitaveccia...an hour by car from Rome. In other words...give it a miss. If your cruise goes to Venice, Valleta or Kotor....those are nice sail in/outs for the Mediterranean cruises.

Port is Civitaveccia...an hour by car from Rome. In other words...give it a miss. If your cruise goes to Venice, Valleta or Kotor....those are nice sail in/outs for the Mediterranean cruises.

We start in Civitaveccia, then Messina, Valetta, Kusadasi, Rhodes, Athens, Santorini, Mykanos and Palermo returning to Civitaveccia. Will plan on being up top for Valetta. Any comments on the others?

We start in Civitaveccia, then Messina, Valetta, Kusadasi, Rhodes, Athens, Santorini, Mykanos and Palermo returning to Civitaveccia. Will plan on being up top for Valetta. Any comments on the others?

Other than Valletta, none are in the "breath-taking" category. If you are leaving at sunset, Santorini should be very pretty. Rhodes and Mykonos are also pretty.

If it is light when you sail away from Athens, it can also be pretty (not the port per se but the scenery along the coast). If you're headed in the right direction you might even catch a glimpse of the Temple of Poseidon at Sounion, up on the hill -- but you'll need a good zoom or binoculars to really see it.

Other than Valletta, none are in the "breath-taking" category. If you are leaving at sunset, Santorini should be very pretty. Rhodes and Mykonos are also pretty.

If it is light when you sail away from Athens, it can also be pretty (not the port per se but the scenery along the coast). If you're headed in the right direction you might even catch a glimpse of the Temple of Poseidon at Sounion, up on the hill -- but you'll need a good zoom or binoculars to really see it.

Thank you