Serenade of the Seas - quick reveiw

davidsmum

Just off an 11 night southern Caribbean on Serenade of the Seas and wanted to say how impressed we were with the ship.

After 2 cruises on Oasis, we were a little unsure how we would feel on a smaller ship. We initially picked the Serenade for the variety of ports and the length of the cruise. As the cruise went on we became more and more convinced that the smaller ships are the way to go.

We were so impressed with the service we received from all of the crew. It just felt much more personal to us.

The food in the main dining room was excellent, much better than what we had experienced on Oasis. We ate many breakfasts there, as well as one lunch (tutti salad) and all but 3 dinners.

Initially we had purchased the 5 meal specialty dining deal, but actually cancelled 2 of the meals and reduced it to the 3 meal deal as we were enjoying the MDR so much. We had no trouble getting the charge adjusted on our account.

We ate at Chops twice, both good experiences, and Giovanni’s once. As much as I love the food in Giovanni’s though, there is just too much of it, and it feels very wasteful.

Apart from picking up some bread and cheese to make a sandwich once in Windjammer I didn’t eat there. I am not a fan of buffets, and much prefer to sit down and be served. I did enjoy the salads from park café for lunch though which I ate by the pool.

I do wish Vintages offered the same Tapas menu as Oasis as this was something we had enjoyed. That being said, both Vintages and R Bar were great spots to sit and enjoy a glass of wine or cocktail before and after dinner.

The best mojito was in the Schooner Bar!

Lattetudes was our afternoon coffee and cookie spot, a great place to relax with a book.

We had purchased the premium drink package and I would say we broke even. Some days we didn’t drink as much as others but it evened out.

We were in cabin 9076, and enjoyed the extra room on the balcony. We had 4 chairs and a table. Although we were close to the centrum, noise wasn’t an issue as we could close the hallway door at night and it proved to be a great sound barrier.

Overall we had an excellent time!

thanks for posting!!... we leave next week!!.. I"v been on Allure and was also wondering how I would feel going back to a smaller ship without the extravagant entertainment

thanks for posting!!... we leave next week!!.. I"v been on Allure and was also wondering how I would feel going back to a smaller ship without the extravagant entertainment

we watched a few of the headliner shows in the evening and enjoyed them. certainly not the extravagant productions we saw on Oasis, but they were entertaining enough!

Appreciate hearing about your trip...my husband and I board the Serenade in a little over 100 days and we'll be in the same stateroom you were!

You mentioned 4 chairs on the balcony...were they all 'regular' chairs or were any of the lounger variety? I know the balcony is larger and oddly-shaped...did you have any issues with wind while underway?

Appreciate hearing about your trip...my husband and I board the Serenade in a little over 100 days and we'll be in the same stateroom you were!

You mentioned 4 chairs on the balcony...were they all 'regular' chairs or were any of the lounger variety? I know the balcony is larger and oddly-shaped...did you have any issues with wind while underway?

They were all regular chairs. When we arrived there were just 3 but we asked for one more so that there was enough seating for our friends that were traveling in 9074.

The cabin attendant did clarify that it was just a regular chair that we wanted so I'm sure if you asked for a lounger they would get it for you.

The first part of the cruise was very windy, in fact we struggled to sit by the pool as it wasn't much fun with the wind!

It was also windy on the balcony those 2 days.

I spoke with one of the offices about the weather and he explained that the path they take on the outbound journey was generally a windier ride but our return trip should be better and he was right! Out last 2 sea days were hot and sunny with just a nice breeze!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

We sailed on the Serenade last spring on a repo from New Orleans to Boston and enjoyed every minute of it. We shall sail again next month for the ten day southern itinerary.

Did you purchase the specialty dining package before you sailed or on the ship? If you bought it on the ship, how much did it cost per person and did you have any problem reserving times that you wanted? We bought a three night package last spring and felt that it was worth it.

Thanks for the review.:D We will sail on her on Feb 15 for an 11 nighter.

I assume there were three formal nights. Can you tell me what nights they were?

Also, we are wanting to book specialty dining but, our friends don't want to miss "lobster" night. Can you tell me what night that is?

Thanks in advance! :D

Thanks for the review, we actually prefer the smaller ships. We still mix it up, and am currently on the Freedom for one last time for us before she leaves us here in Port Canaveral. Booked Oasis, who is taking Freedom's place, while on board this morning to snag some OBC.

We are booked on Serenade for this coming February (10 night) and the 11 night itinerary for February the following year. Really love the Radiance class as our favorite! :)

Edited by island lady

Thanks so much for the great Serenade review. We sail on the Serenade a week from today on the 10-night southern itinerary and are really looking forward to it. DW will be celebrating her 70th birthday and what better way to spend it than on an RCL cruise!

Just off the Navigator yesterday (it was cruise number 100) and also noticed excellent service and a significant improvement in the food.

Just off the Serenade 2 weeks ago & in answer about the chairs on the balcony I just asked the Room steward if he remove 2 of the chairs & bring in a chair like they have at the pool ( with a $5 bill in my hand ) & it was there in 1/2 hr.

george35

We sailed on the Serenade last spring on a repo from New Orleans to Boston and enjoyed every minute of it. We shall sail again next month for the ten day southern itinerary.

Did you purchase the specialty dining package before you sailed or on the ship? If you bought it on the ship, how much did it cost per person and did you have any problem reserving times that you wanted? We bought a three night package last spring and felt that it was worth it.

we purchased onboard. initially we opted for the 5 night package - $100, but as we were enjoying the MDR so much we reduced it to the 3 night for $70.

charges didn't show up until the 9th day, and we just requested an adjustment, which they happily obliged.

Chops was $30/person and Giovanni's was $25. For Izummi you got a credit of $30/person as it is a la carte.

chef's Table was $85/person, and they also offered a murder mystery dinner one evening, that was I believe $65/person.

Thanks for the review.:D We will sail on her on Feb 15 for an 11 nighter.

I assume there were three formal nights. Can you tell me what nights they were?

Also, we are wanting to book specialty dining but, our friends don't want to miss "lobster" night. Can you tell me what night that is?

Thanks in advance! :D

There were just 2 formal nights: night 2 and night 10. we ate at Chops for the first one, and in the MDR for the 2nd. they served lobster at the 2nd, but I'm not sure if they did at the 1st.

we had no trouble booking speciality dining once on board, they were able to accommodate us without any issues.

we purchased onboard. initially we opted for the 5 night package - $100, but as we were enjoying the MDR so much we reduced it to the 3 night for $70.

charges didn't show up until the 9th day, and we just requested an adjustment, which they happily obliged.

Chops was $30/person and Giovanni's was $25. For Izummi you got a credit of $30/person as it is a la carte.

chef's Table was $85/person, and they also offered a murder mystery dinner one evening, that was I believe $65/person.

Thank you for your prompt response!

There were just 2 formal nights: night 2 and night 10. we ate at Chops for the first one, and in the MDR for the 2nd. they served lobster at the 2nd, but I'm not sure if they did at the 1st.

we had no trouble booking speciality dining once on board, they were able to accommodate us without any issues.

Thank you! :D:D