Anyone been on Golden & Sun Princess, can you compare for me?

Hi all,

Quiet day in the office and I'm pondering my first cruise on the Golden Princess last October, and my next one on the Sun Princess.

LOVED the Golden, and wondering, did I set the bar too high for myself the first time around?

There's a few things I'll know I'll miss - anytime dining and the undercover pool area, all understandable as it's a smaller ship - but generally speaking, how do the two compare? Is Sun Princess noticeably more crummy due to its age?

Of course we'll have a fabulous time but if I need to lower my expectations I'd rather know now :)

They are both nice ships in their own way.

With the Sun I don't like the buffet up front . I prefer the buffet at the aft of the ship, and I am not a fan of the small theatre that usually results in a stampede for seats.

Although the Golden carries far more passengers it feels a lot more roomier.

Hi all,

Quiet day in the office and I'm pondering my first cruise on the Golden Princess last October, and my next one on the Sun Princess.

LOVED the Golden, and wondering, did I set the bar too high for myself the first time around?

There's a few things I'll know I'll miss - anytime dining and the undercover pool area, all understandable as it's a smaller ship - but generally speaking, how do the two compare? Is Sun Princess noticeably more crummy due to its age?

Of course we'll have a fabulous time but if I need to lower my expectations I'd rather know now :)

Hi Claire,

In answer to your query regarding the Sun Princess. I have been on both ships, I always loved sailing on both Sun and Dawn Princess, they both look very 'classy' ladies from the outside. The Sun Princess went through a big refurbishment a couple of years ago. I sailed on the Golden Princess in November, I was really looking forward to sailing on her as we only get the older ships (P&O) down under. I liked sailing on the Golden Princess, lots of spaces to go to escape especially Skywalkers but I always felt better sailing on the Sun/Dawn Princesses, could be because there were fewer people on board, I prefer the Horizon Court at the front of the ship as I could look out at the water and see where I was going. I know the newer ships look better but I don't think I could come at 3 or 4 thousand people on a cruise especialy waiting for the lifts would be more annoying than waiting for the lifts on the Golden Princess. We also like the traditional dining over anytime dining, you could organise your time better.

Regards,:):)

You will probably be setting yourself up for disappointment. Sun Princess has had its day I am afraid and I would not sail on that class of ship for any longer than a weekend cruise.

Key Points.

Crowding - Noticeably more crowded on Sun Princess due to its smaller size and excess passengers compared to the public space.

Princess Theatre - On Golden Princess it is expansive over 3 decks, on Sun Princess it is more cramped and claustrophobic with only the entrance on the Promenade deck. Golden Princess you can enter the theatre on the Promenade deck as well as the deck below.

Pools - On Golden Princess there are 4 passenger pools in four separated areas dispersing the passengers and giving more comfort and relaxation. You have a covered pool which is ideal if the weather turns foul. On Sun Princess there is two pools close together and a small foot pool aft and the paid foot pool in the sanctuary.

Restaurants - clearly a lot more on Golden Princess. It is the same quality food but with Golden Princess you are more spread out throughout the ship.

Entertainment Venues - There are more venues on Golden Princess meaning more variety of shows can be put on at the same time.

I have been on both ships. I loved the Golden Princess and found it was in great condition for its age. I could sail on the Golden Princess for any length of cruise to any destination. As for the Sun Princess the longest cruise I have ever done on that type of ship is 5 nights to Tasmania. I would not sail on Sun Princess unless it was a weekend break or short break. The ship is not suited for longer cruises. Too crowded with 2,000 passengers. For a ship almost twice the size of Sun Princess the passenger count goes up to 2,600.

I'm on the Golden Princess in January and have been on the Sun Princess last year. I dont' agree with poster above comments that Sun has done its day. Its recently had a fit out in the past year or so and has international cafe with is nice. The buffet area was redone in the fitout too.

Golden Princess does have an undercover pool which is nice.

It would depend on the itineraries, pricing, cabin. But both I would sail on.

Thanks everyone, I appreciate your perspectives, even if they are quite different!

We're predominantly outdoor people, and it's a (very) hot weather cruise so we will be mostly out on the decks, day and night, apart from dinner in the MDR. So I don't think we'll be too troubled by the crowds in the theatre and other indoor venues.

I'll mentally prepare for the pools and surrounding decks to be really busy :)

The cruise is 12 nights, half and half sea/port days.

We just love all 3 Sun class ships, Dawn, Sea and Sun. For sure they are smaller with less facilities in the form of smaller theatre, no undercover pool etc and no anytime dining. But they do feel more "personal". I guess lower number of passengers etc.

We would nor hesitate to cruise on any of them again.

But then we are also happy to cruise on Golden or Diamond as well.

I guess any cruise ship is better than being at home!!

We have done four cruises on the Dawn 2 - 13 night trips 1 - 20 night and our last one a 26 night to SE Asia. She is indeed a grand old lady and it will be sad to see her go to P&O as the Pacific explorer in 2017.

There is an option to do what I expect will be our last trip on her next year but I'm not sure if that will happen.

The Golden Princess looks good and I would be keen to do a trip on her especially a cruise that leaves from Melbourne.

I agree with all the comments from icat2000. Have been on the Dawn and the Sea Princess (Sun Class) and Golden. They are a different class of ship, and its probably like comparing two different types of fruit. Look and taste different but both good to eat. Having said that, itinerary & length of cruise comes first then time of the year. Unless you have children don't go in school holidays if you like the outdoor areas.

I agree with all the comments from icat2000. Have been on the Dawn and the Sea Princess (Sun Class) and Golden. They are a different class of ship, and its probably like comparing two different types of fruit. Look and taste different but both good to eat. Having said that, itinerary & length of cruise comes first then time of the year. Unless you have children don't go in school holidays if you like the outdoor areas.

You have expressed that very well. :)

Clairebear, my very first cruise was on Sun Princess in 2013 and just loved it. Been cruising ever since. She hadn't had the big, serious dry dock and refit at that point.

She is very easy to find your way around, no issues with 'traditional' dining at all (we specified late seating and table for 2) we enjoyed the onboard entertainment, the ambiance onboard and surprisingly our cabin was very comfortable and bathroom was 'managable', and she ensured we were hooked on cruising forever.

After a few cruises on Dawn Princess since then, we are embarking on our next adventure on the Golden Princess next April. I'm sure you will have a wonderful cruise on the Sun Princess ... especially after her dry drock where they incorporated an International Cafe and several other interesting things.

Happy trails ... I'm sure you'll enjoy the Sun Princess!

My first ever Princess cruise was on the Dawn Princess (Sun class) and I loved it, did another couple including 21 nights to Hawaii. Then I cruised on the Diamond and Sapphire and I have to say that they are my favourite Princess ships, Grand class like the Golden as we love Skywalkers, the indoor pool and Anytime dining, but that hasnt stopped us cruising on the Dawn again as we have another booked!!

I am not sure which cabin cat you have booked but the insides on Sun class are quite a bit smaller and a different layout, really small shower....if they can get any smaller:eek: The feel of the ship will be Princess though, lovely atrium, nice quiet places to relax, free pizza, room service, snacks etc.

Go and have a great time and use it as your start to compare ships and cruiselines so you know what you will book for those longer cruises, then come back and tell us your thoughts:)

Chez

My first ever Princess cruise was on the Dawn Princess (Sun class) and I loved it, did another couple including 21 nights to Hawaii. Then I cruised on the Diamond and Sapphire and I have to say that they are my favourite Princess ships, Grand class like the Golden as we love Skywalkers, the indoor pool and Anytime dining, but that hasnt stopped us cruising on the Dawn again as we have another booked!!

I am not sure which cabin cat you have booked but the insides on Sun class are quite a bit smaller and a different layout, really small shower....if they can get any smaller:eek: The feel of the ship will be Princess though, lovely atrium, nice quiet places to relax, free pizza, room service, snacks etc.

Go and have a great time and use it as your start to compare ships and cruiselines so you know what you will book for those longer cruises, then come back and tell us your thoughts:)

Chez

I felt that the bathrooms we have had in balcony cabins on the Sun Princess were smaller than the bathrooms on inside cabins we have been in on either the Sun, Sea or Dawn. :) That is my recollection.

I felt that the bathrooms we have had in balcony cabins on the Sun Princess were smaller than the bathrooms on inside cabins we have been in on either the Sun, Sea or Dawn. :) That is my recollection.

Wow, can they get any smaller haha!

I actually liked the shower on the Voyager recently, it is curved and has a glass sliding door, probably not bigger in the overall scheme but it worked well and felt roomier.

Like cabins, some are no bigger, just differently laid out and feel roomier.....and have more storage!

Chez

I like the walk-in closets, the covered pool, Skywalkers and aft terraced pool area and the overall spaciousness of the grand class ships.

Looking forward to seeing the changes on the Sun in May. Our favorite place is the aft 180 degree bar and lounge area.

Enjoy your cruise. The Sun Princess won't disappoint :)

Edited by Kinkacruiser

My first cruise was Norwegian star and that was a total disaster (my honeymoon kind of a hint of the marriage)

I never wanted to cruise again after that......

Then princess brought the sun out to Australia and were offering 7 night sector cruises to NZ.

Well decided to try cruising again and the Sun was my downfall. Just loved the ship and the staff. Now I want to cruise all the time.

The sun I loved. I really loved the golden as well. They are both very different. Don't expect them to be the same.

The smaller ships have a more personal feel.

My best advice is to try all Cruiseships and then make up your mind as to the best. If you need further reference you might need to go on some a couple of times or more. It's good to have ambition in life.

I am sure you will love the Sun.

As you have a son, try the voyager or explorer as well.

I like the walk-in closets, the covered pool, Skywalkers and aft terraced pool area and the overall spaciousness of the grand class ships.

Looking forward to seeing the changes on the Sun in May. Our favorite place is the aft 180 degree bar and lounge area.

Enjoy your cruise. The Sun Princess won't disappoint :)

No walk in closet area on the Sun Princess? :eek: Now THAT I will miss! We have a balcony and an inside cabin.

The replies are making me feel better about the ship overall though. Honestly at this point, watching my colleagues dance out of the office to their Xmas break while I work all the way through, I'd be happy to spend a week on a barge.

The suggestion to try all the ships a few times is a very good one :D

As a general rule I will only stick to the original Grand class ships that Princess has as they have the best passenger space ratio and the facilities are not crowded.

Ships like the Grand, Golden, Star, Diamond, Sapphire are the ones I am most likely to sail on. I would also sail on Coral Princess but not Island Princess since its destruction.

For me the Sun class are too small and I would only consider them for short voyages. I would never do a world cruise on a Sun class as they have the smallest passenger space ration in the Princess fleet making them feel more congested based on passenger numbers per space.

I haven't been on the Golden but have been on the Sun and her sisters , plus The Diamond. I love The Sun , with the International Cafe and upgraded buffet. As others have said , I'm sure you'll have a great time on her.

I'd be happy to spend any amount of time on her ( and any other ship actually ) [emoji3]

We have cruised several times on the Sun, Sea and Dawn and loved them all. We have also been on the much larger Grand and Diamond. Yes - they are larger and have some extra facilities, but I cannot say we enjoyed the cruise any more because of the ship. Other factors (people on the ship, the itinerary and weather) play a larger part in our enjoyment. That said, any cruise is good.:)