On Oasis..Surprise price increases

Tricia28

Is the almost doubling of the cabin price during holidays also price gauging?:cool:

In my opinion, no it isn't. Hotels and accommodations typically raise their rates during different seasons or special events.

The weekend hotel rate at some hotels in Galveston are almost triple the weeknight rate.

But even though hotel and accommodation rates increase seasonally, the restaurant and food prices don't usually increase at the same time!

:eek:WOW!:eek:

I think it's kind of sad that the PUBLIC areas on an already expensive sailing commanded that kind of a price tag for a seat.:( Unfortunately I guess they got it, so they'll continue to charge, but that's an outrageous price! What was available for the huddled masses that night?

Yes, agreed. We wandered around for awhile and ended up at the Viking Crown Lounge (Deck 17). It was TOO quiet. (And of course, it's no longer available, unless you are a gold card holder.). I believe the Boardwalk was free, and very crowded, as was the Promenade. If you wanted to sit down at one of the bars on the RP, forget it.

I watched NYE a few years ago on the web camera and snapped this shot of either Oasis or Allure. In all honesty in makes me happy to stay home for Christmas and NYE from the cost of the cruise and extra costs once on board. My birthday is December 31, so it would be fun but in all honesty I'd rather cruise the first week of January for much less money.

I'm with you! When we first started cruising, NYE cruises were a lot more fun, perhaps because the ships were smaller. We stopped booking them in 2006, but went back one last time in 2013. We now cruise either mid-December or early January, and enjoy it much more. :)

Edited by travelgoddess1

I am uncomfortable with demanding additional payment for something that was previously paid in full. It is unethical in my opinion.

If meeting the price was a problem for RCI, the ethical thing to do would be to inform those who had pre-paid of the price increase and offer a full refund if desired. Sadly greed wins over and the cruise industry is not answerable to any consumer protection agency.

Folks, remember the single seating price is now based on RCI's fantastic results from stateroom BOGOHO.

BOGO is bogus.

Loyalty to a brand is simply a choice. Make your choice another cruise line and see how you are treated. It pays to shop around even when cruising

Sound advice.

I had a situation that was resolved in my favor because I bought it up to the food and drink manager when he accompanied the Captain at Quantum's "Captain's Quarter" question and answer session. I had made two pre-bookings at specialty restaurants and one while on board for a total of 3. Never received the % associated in OBCs. Went to GS and they tell me that none's allowed because it must be either 3 pre-booked or 3 booked on board. I could not understand the logic as I dined in 3 and deserved the add'l obc. The GS were adamant that was the policy.

At end of the Captain's session, I button holed the Manager and expressed my frustration as to the policy as it made no sense. He told he would look into it, however, the policies whether logic or not are decided in Miami. He was vey nice and as promised to get to the bottom. One of his assistants searched us and found us dining at Silk--told us that the credits would appear that evening in our folio. I thanked him immensely as I expected simply hollow promises. It wasn't a lot of money, but the principle of it.

Guess we will not be going to Chops on our upcoming cruise on the Oasis January 23rd. That is unfortunate, but can not justify the new prices.

A CC member currently on board Oasis said that the prices were to drop back down after the holidays. We will have to wait and see, but it would not surprise me if RC was going to take advantage of the holiday cruisers.

A CC member currently on board Oasis said that the prices were to drop back down after the holidays. We will have to wait and see, but it would not surprise me if RC was going to take advantage of the holiday cruisers.

Heading to Chops for dinner tonight. No idea what the price will be as last night We were charged the $20pp at Solarium Bistro which was back to the normal price. I had mentioned to the maitre d that I was disappointed that they did not have the dining package available so maybe he gave us a break on the price.

Heading to Chops for dinner tonight. No idea what the price will be as last night We were charged the $20pp at Solarium Bistro which was back to the normal price. I had mentioned to the maitre d that I was disappointed that they did not have the dining package available so maybe he gave us a break on the price.

It's no Keg, but I'm bet you will have a great time. MMMM, bacon slices, Caesar Salads and steaks. I wish I was there. :)

We ate at Chef's Table on the Oasis in July.

During the meal: people walked by in shorts talking loudly, some even came close to see what was being served, noise from both the Suites Lounge and Coastal Kitchen made it difficult to hear everything being said at the table.

A glass wall should have been installed to divide Chef's Table from the rest of the area.

I doubt that we will eat at Chef's Table on the Oasis or Allure again.

Chef's Table on the Anthem is in the back of Chops with a dividing wall and door….a much better environment.

Absolutely agree! What a horrible location for them to place the Chef's Table. Also, Chops was never that good on OA and at $45 pp we will gladly give it up. The up-pricing of things is getting out of control, imho. And, we eat mainly in specialty restaurants on all the ships.

I am currently sailing the Oasis of the Seas and our family of four found out on our 2nd evening that though we had pre paid for Izumi hibachi online at $30 per person we were informed we would have to pay $5 more to get chicken or a few other entrees or $10 more if we wanted something like steak. In effect the manager told me that nothing on the menu was $30 any more and we would have to pay more to eat there. I was pretty irritated since Royal Caribbean has had my money for 2 months only to tell me when I get on board I now owe more if I want to eat anything at the restaurant I prepaid for and am now sitting at. Another couple at our table was also pretty upset and stated they would not be cruising Royal Caribbean again. It was only after we made a pretty big stink about it that the manager agreed to accept our prepaid amount of $30 per person in order for us to stay and eat. When we first boarded I bought the five restaurant specialty dining package for $120. I was mistakenly charged for an extra person and had to have that charge removed as well. I was also overcharged for a drink in the comedy club although the menu said $10 the drinks are actually ringing at $10.95. Tonight we ate in Central Park 150 and my husband has the premium beverage package so he was offered the specialty martini and told it would be $3 more which was fine but when we actually got the bill he was charged $4 more (not including tip) It's not that the amounts are large it's the principle that all of the costs are being misstated. Our waiter told us that all of the specialty dining prices have been increased this week. Two days before I left I printed out all the prices and menus for specialty dining. Just a heads up that the menus online and the prices were wrong two days before sailing. Here are the current and new prices for specialty dining on oasis :

Chops was $39 now $45

CP150 was $40 now $45

Izumi Hibachi was $30 now $35

Giovanni's was $25 now $30

Solarium Bistro was $20 now $25

We had made a reservation for the Chef's Table but cancelled once we found out that the chefs table has been moved to deck 17 in an alcove between the Coastal Kitchen and suite lounge facing the bar. It is no longer in a private area and when I went up to look at it there was a baby crying in the lounge at 9 p.m. not a place I want to enjoy a $95 dinner and wine pairing.

In answer to the people who inevitably will blame me for being irritated about these issues, yes, I am enjoying my cruise. I always enjoy my cruises but I definitely am rethinking the reservation I made for Harmony next year. I just think that Royal Caribbean's corporate office makes too many changes too fast and no one really knows what's going on. I've seen it a lot on the ship this week. With the money I spend on suite accommodations, specialty dining and bar packages I might be better served to take a regular balcony cabin on a higher class of ship. I'm not saying that I will never sail on Royal again but I'm definitely going to think more carefully about other cruise lines than I have in the past. There have been too many changes for me and most of them are not good nor benefiting guests. I definitely got that feeling from a lot of the Diamond and Diamond Plus guests on board and their discussions with me in the lounge.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-N920A using Tapatalk

It should of stayed at the price you pre booked.

I am booked on NCL in February and they are worse than RCI with the never ending changes of prices for things. Good luck with them.

Looks like they will all go the same route and keep increasing prices until the customers cry uncle.

Bill

I am aware of what NCL does and I have no problem avoiding their extra charges. I am also booked on NCL and looking forward to it (though I have a about one year to wait :().

Is the almost doubling of the cabin price during holidays also price gauging?:cool:

That is a supply and demand kind of thing. Of course, so is raising the prices in the specialty restaurants, which I used to partake in, but do not know because of the price.

On our final NYE cruise in 2013, the Rising Tide Bar price was roughly $1300/table, but before we could say "Heck No" a large company bought out the entire bar. Schooner Bar tables were slightly less. There was a premium price everywhere on the Royal Promenade. The price did include a bottle of champagne. (Not a high-priced bottle, however.) :(

Does the Rising Tide Bar descend like the NY ball at 11:59pm on New Year's Eve?

RCI is getting ridiculous. I guess because they found out China and Dubai passengers will pay any price, they can just increase to their heart's content.

I am not a cheapskate but I do compare pricing. It's stupid to pay more for a steak or tepanyaki dinner on a cruise than the better restaurants at home. (especially considering one would be forgoing the 'free' dinner in the MDR).

Go ahead RCI, price yourself out of the market and we will have some exciting new cruise line to explore.

Your arrogance is disturbing.

RCI is getting ridiculous. I guess because they found out China and Dubai passengers will pay any price, they can just increase to their heart's content.

China, yes, for now, Dubai not so much. Sailings from Dubai are quite reasonable and bookings from Europe are quite cheap. All the gulf airlines fly to Dubai real cheap.

It's stupid to pay more for a steak or tepanyaki dinner on a cruise than the better restaurants at home. (especially considering one would be forgoing the 'free' dinner in the MDR).

There must be a lot of stupid people on all these sailings.:cool:

In my opinion, no it isn't. Hotels and accommodations typically raise their rates during different seasons or special events.

The weekend hotel rate at some hotels in Galveston are almost triple the weeknight rate.

But even though hotel and accommodation rates increase seasonally, the restaurant and food prices don't usually increase at the same time!

I don't have an issue with higher prices for anything over the holidays (including food). My frustration with this thread is that people that PREBOOKED were charged more-- that is not acceptable. Prepaid means paid. If they wanted to raise the prepaid prices, fine. But don't charge me more once I've eaten there.

I don't have an issue with higher prices for anything over the holidays (including food). My frustration with this thread is that people that PREBOOKED were charged more-- that is not acceptable. Prepaid means paid. If they wanted to raise the prepaid prices, fine. But don't charge me more once I've eaten there.

100% agree.

I still have an issue with it because two days before I left I got the prices for the specialty restaurants from the Royal Caribbean website. Some of us do try to pre plan ahead how much we might be spending on the trip. It would just be nice to know that we could at least find that information before we sail on the ship and are a captive audience. In fact I think they should be honest when you book your cruise and let you know that prices will vary per ship. I just think its crazy that restaurants cost a different amount depending on the ship you take and honestly that might be nice to know when you book.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-N920A using Tapatalk

I just think its crazy that restaurants cost a different amount depending on the ship you take and honestly that might be nice to know when you book.

While understandable and frustrating, you have to be resigned to the fact that the reality on the ship could be quite different from the RCI web site and even what some earlier cruisers have experienced.

Does the Rising Tide Bar descend like the NY ball at 11:59pm on New Year's Eve?

No definitely not. Last year on Oasis they had it parked mid-way down from about 11:55 onward so people on it had a perfect view of the festivities. As mentioned above, they sell the tables on here for a high price so people wouldn't want to have their view obstructed at any point as it descended from deck 8.

There may have been a few entertainers on it, but the Captain, Cruise Director and others were on the stage that extends out over the Promenade above the Irish bar.

Edited by TrojanUSC