Eclipse: Not Your Parents' Celebrity

Aquahound

I just returned from 5 nights on the Eclipse and wow, what a difference Celebrity has made. I can certainly now see why there has been so much conversation lately on this board about changes. To get right to the point, I LOVED it, but I can see how long time Celebrity cruisers might not be familiar with the product anymore.....that is, if the entire fleet is running like the Eclipse. A lot has changed since my last Celebrity cruise last year...and more specifically, since my last Solstice Class cruise in 2010. Here are my thoughts and a modernization review (of sorts) of my cruise.

Cruise Director - This might have had a lot to do with it. I don't know if this is coincidence or part of Celebrity's rebranding. The CD was Richard Spacey. Up until recently, this man was one of RCI's leading CDs who always worked the brand new ships. Now he's working Celebrity. Frankly, I think he is the funniest CD I have ever cruised with. His morning show is hilarious, his jokes are funny, and his Evolution of Dance routine is hysterical. He runs a bloopers reel on his morning show and I found myself watching it over and over. He's unlike any CD I have ever seen on Celebrity.

Speaking of Richard Spacey, a lot of the entertainment on board was unlike all of my previous Celebrity cruises. All the usual stuff still existed (except the acapella group), but with numerous additions. Previously, I had never seen a 70s night on Celebrity...only a 60s Groove night. On this cruise, Spacey led the 70s night in the Foyer and it was almost exactly like what RCI does. The crowd loved it. There were also numerous pool games on the sea days, a Motown night on the pool deck, and some sort of Medieval party in the Foyer with the singers and dancers.

The 2 main shows are Topper and Rock City. Topper was phenominal! This show rivals that of RCI's Oasis Class, in my opinion. It was all modern, upbeat music. But that's where I began to see the divide in opinions. The 20s-50s crowd loved it. However, the older crowd seemed to not enjoy the modern music with deep bass and all the modern dancing. Rock City was also excellent. Both shows had standing ovations.

One of the other headliners was Claire Vinkesteijn, a Holland's Got Talent finalist. The opinions were sorta flipped with her. I found her to be a little boring and a little overhyped on talent. The older crowd seemed to love her though.

Throughout the ship, modern coffee house style music was piped. It was the type of music you would hear on the XM Chill station. In the past, it seemed that music was only played at the martini bar, with Michael Buble' style music everywhere else. Now, the chill music is the ship standard.

Chic Night - Get used to it people....formal night is gone. I wore a black suit and I was overdressed. There were a few in tuxedos and a few in suits, but the overwhelming majority were not dressed in formal wear. I will say....most people looked really nice though. Having experienced this new chic night, I have to be honest and say that I really don't have a problem with it. The standard dress now for men is either a really stylish shirt, or a modern sport coat without a tie. It's basically the type of dress you would see people wearing at a Miami South Beach nightclub. I think that's Celebrity's vision. Dim the lights, turn up the chill music...and there you have the new Celebrity evening.

The on board experience is also a lot more expensive. Bistro on 5 is now $10, and drinks are over priced. $9.44 (w/ auto tip) for a beer and $14 for a martini is ridiculous. The specialty restaurants are the most expensive in mass market cruising, but we still managed to book all 3 of them without paying full price. They push for bookings so hard that with just a little bit of pushback, they will drop the price to $30-35.

All in all, I loved my Eclipse cruise and I really think Celebrity is going to be my first choice when researching new cruises. That is, if this is the product the entire line is turning in to.

If anyone has any questions, fire away. I'll do my best. :)

I was on this cruise too. And the previous 14 days.

That amazing music of my first Eclipse cruise, during its first year was gone. But I did hear lots of stuff my father listened to in high school. I wasn't offended. Mostly amused.

Stand by your man Loretta Lynn! This one got my attention.

Yesterday I heard Wipeout. Okay I liked that one.

I did think the singing was a huge improvement. We saw all three shows and they were fine. I didn't realize they rivaled Oasis. Interesting to know.

I liked Richards dance routine too.

Thanks Aquahound

Entertainment sounds good even though I'm that parent and grandparent [emoji57]

How's the food?

We are sailing next month

Linda

We thought Tuscan Grill and Murano were amazing. In Murano, we had the lamb chops and venison. In TG, we both had the filet.

QSine was ok. We enjoyed it, but it isn't something we will return to.

We ate in the MDR 2 nights. We really can't complain. It's wasn't great, but it wasn't bad. In my opinion, all major lines are pretty much equal quality now in the MDR. What I will say about the MDR is, although it's beautiful, the tables are way too close to each other. It's not intimate at all.

The buffet was good, as was Bistro on 5. Although I loved the nutella crepe, I probably won't spend the $10 again. I thought it was a good deal at $5, but not 10.

Edited by Aquahound

I did think the singing was a huge improvement. We saw all three shows and they were fine. I didn't realize they rivaled Oasis. Interesting to know.

That of course, is just my opinion. Usually, when I give a standing ovation, it's because I'm joining everyone else. In this case, as I did on both Oasis Class ships, I was happy to lead the ovation. :)

I would imagine things will be back to "usual" when the regular cruising season begins in January with the 2 week Eclipse cruises. It sounds like Celebrity wanted to shake things up for the short 5 day cruise to capture a young audience of first time cruisers.

Thanks for sharing your Cruise with us. We'll be sailing on the Eclispe 3 April 2016. We're both in our mid 60's and the two main shows you described are right up our alley. I'll pass your observations on to my wife concerning the new Chic evening. However knowing her she'll say "we dress for each other and not others". Note to self, get suit dry cleaned. We've heard a lot about Richard Spacey from the RCCL forums so hopefully he will be our CD.

Edited by davekathy

We spoke with the entertainment team implementing the new shows on Equinox and they were big on bringing modern to the entertainment. I enjoyed the music as the shows were just a conglomeration of top 40, but the shows were no where near caliber of royals big ship shows. The love music was awful though. :(

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I would imagine things will be back to "usual" when the regular cruising season begins in January with the 2 week Eclipse cruises. It sounds like Celebrity wanted to shake things up for the short 5 day cruise to capture a young audience of first time cruisers.

I hope you are not correct. It sounds good to me.

I hope you are not correct. It sounds good to me.

Same here. Besides, I don't know how it could change. Spacey is still the CD and the main shows won't change. I'm actually hoping this is the new norm..or will be..for the whole fleet. :)

I just returned from 5 nights on the Eclipse and wow, what a difference Celebrity has made. I can certainly now see why there has been so much conversation lately on this board about changes. To get right to the point, I LOVED it, but I can see how long time Celebrity cruisers might not be familiar with the product anymore.....that is, if the entire fleet is running like the Eclipse. A lot has changed since my last Celebrity cruise last year...and more specifically, since my last Solstice Class cruise in 2010. Here are my thoughts and a modernization review (of sorts) of my cruise.

Cruise Director - This might have had a lot to do with it. I don't know if this is coincidence or part of Celebrity's rebranding. The CD was Richard Spacey. Up until recently, this man was one of RCI's leading CDs who always worked the brand new ships. Now he's working Celebrity. Frankly, I think he is the funniest CD I have ever cruised with. His morning show is hilarious, his jokes are funny, and his Evolution of Dance routine is hysterical. He runs a bloopers reel on his morning show and I found myself watching it over and over. He's unlike any CD I have ever seen on Celebrity.

Speaking of Richard Spacey, a lot of the entertainment on board was unlike all of my previous Celebrity cruises. All the usual stuff still existed (except the acapella group), but with numerous additions. Previously, I had never seen a 70s night on Celebrity...only a 60s Groove night. On this cruise, Spacey led the 70s night in the Foyer and it was almost exactly like what RCI does. The crowd loved it. There were also numerous pool games on the sea days, a Motown night on the pool deck, and some sort of Medieval party in the Foyer with the singers and dancers.

The 2 main shows are Topper and Rock City. Topper was phenominal! This show rivals that of RCI's Oasis Class, in my opinion. It was all modern, upbeat music. But that's where I began to see the divide in opinions. The 20s-50s crowd loved it. However, the older crowd seemed to not enjoy the modern music with deep bass and all the modern dancing. Rock City was also excellent. Both shows had standing ovations.

One of the other headliners was Claire Vinkesteijn, a Holland's Got Talent finalist. The opinions were sorta flipped with her. I found her to be a little boring and a little overhyped on talent. The older crowd seemed to love her though.

Throughout the ship, modern coffee house style music was piped. It was the type of music you would hear on the XM Chill station. In the past, it seemed that music was only played at the martini bar, with Michael Buble' style music everywhere else. Now, the chill music is the ship standard.

Chic Night - Get used to it people....formal night is gone. I wore a black suit and I was overdressed. There were a few in tuxedos and a few in suits, but the overwhelming majority were not dressed in formal wear. I will say....most people looked really nice though. Having experienced this new chic night, I have to be honest and say that I really don't have a problem with it. The standard dress now for men is either a really stylish shirt, or a modern sport coat without a tie. It's basically the type of dress you would see people wearing at a Miami South Beach nightclub. I think that's Celebrity's vision. Dim the lights, turn up the chill music...and there you have the new Celebrity evening.

The on board experience is also a lot more expensive. Bistro on 5 is now $10, and drinks are over priced. $9.44 (w/ auto tip) for a beer and $14 for a martini is ridiculous. The specialty restaurants are the most expensive in mass market cruising, but we still managed to book all 3 of them without paying full price. They push for bookings so hard that with just a little bit of pushback, they will drop the price to $30-35.

All in all, I loved my Eclipse cruise and I really think Celebrity is going to be my first choice when researching new cruises. That is, if this is the product the entire line is turning in to.

If anyone has any questions, fire away. I'll do my best. :)

GREAT REVIEW

Sailing in Feb, usually Sue Denning is the CD, but maybe with Perry gone so is She,

Sounds like a fab cruise love the Eclipse

maybe will go to the shows now they have changed

The Motown show sounds great,

Used to have a Motown and Soul bar Love that music

Edited by swigso

We were on this cruise also. My husband and I are heading into our seventies, but, we must be young at heart. We loved the new shows. We have been cruising on RCI and had tired of the shows, but, we decided to try these shows since Celebrity is a new experience for us, and boy am I glad we did. We enjoyed Topper and Rock City, but, found Claire Vinkesteijn just not enjoyable. She is very talented, but we didn't enjoy her show. Richard Spacey is so funny and has so much energy. I hope we get to cruise with him again.

The food in the MDR was just ok. Not awful, but, not great. We waited too late to book Tuscan Grill but everyone we chatted with said it is well worth the extra cost.

The Eclipse is beautiful and we loved it. We will definitely cruise with Celebrity again in the future. Aquahound, it was great to see you again.

We were on this cruise also. My husband and I are heading into our seventies, but, we must be young at heart. We loved the new shows. We have been cruising on RCI and had tired of the shows, but, we decided to try these shows since Celebrity is a new experience for us, and boy am I glad we did. We enjoyed Topper and Rock City, but, found Claire Vinkesteijn just not enjoyable. She is very talented, but we didn't enjoy her show. Richard Spacey is so funny and has so much energy. I hope we get to cruise with him again.

The food in the MDR was just ok. Not awful, but, not great. We waited too late to book Tuscan Grill but everyone we chatted with said it is well worth the extra cost.

The Eclipse is beautiful and we loved it. We will definitely cruise with Celebrity again in the future. Aquahound, it was great to see you again.

Hope you transferred your Rccl status over

Just a word about Claire Vinkesteijn. We were on the 14 day cruise right before the 5 day, and longer cruisers do attract an older crowd. Claire wowed the audience to such a degree that the CD scheduled a special afternoon show during a sea day (we had 5 sea days on our cruise). Despite it being a gorgeous day out on deck, the main theater was packed for Claire's afternoon show where she received a long standing ovation at the end of her show/concert. She is in the process of developing her first CD with all original music (this will likely be recorded in the UK) and we suspect she has a very bright future.

Hank

Just a word about Claire Vinkesteijn. We were on the 14 day cruise right before the 5 day, and longer cruisers do attract an older crowd. Claire wowed the audience to such a degree that the CD scheduled a special afternoon show during a sea day (we had 5 sea days on our cruise). Despite it being a gorgeous day out on deck, the main theater was packed for Claire's afternoon show where she received a long standing ovation at the end of her show/concert. She is in the process of developing her first CD with all original music (this will likely be recorded in the UK) and we suspect she has a very bright future.

Same thing happened on our cruise. I think it was already planned, but played off as an encore show though.

Great Review,

We were also on this sailing. One of our best cruises to date. RCCL is my go to cruise line but I will start booking more on Celebrity after this wonderful experience.

Aquahound review matches my sentiments exactly.. I was going to do a review, but Paul nailed it

Rick

It was exactly the same on the 29 Nov 14 night cruise too [emoji3]

Could be I guess, but my guess is that this is the new normal and part of the planned changes. We'll find out in March.