New Entertainment Policy????

RASHOPPER2

We just returned from the 5 day Emerald Princess cruise that sailed on Dec. 14, 2015.

Four of the five nights there was no show or movie in the Princess Theater at 10:15. We have been on many Princess cruises and there have always been three shows. I am wondering if Princess changed their entertainment policy or if this situation was unique to this ship (and sailing). This frankly made the after dinner experience a very boring one.

I wonder if this is a change in the Princess Entertainment Policy. Have others on other sailings either on this ship or others had the same experience.

I should add that I wrote to the Cruise Director about the problem, and received no response

We just returned from the 5 day Emerald Princess cruise that sailed on Dec. 14, 2015.

Four of the five nights there was no show or movie in the Princess Theater at 10:15. We have been on many Princess cruises and there have always been three shows. I am wondering if Princess changed their entertainment policy or if this situation was unique to this ship (and sailing). This frankly made the after dinner experience a very boring one.

I wonder if this is a change in the Princess Entertainment Policy. Have others on other sailings either on this ship or others had the same experience.

I should add that I wrote to the Cruise Director about the problem, and received no response

We had two longer shows in the evening aboard the Caribbean princess on a 4-day cruise out of Houston last Nov 4. The early one was designed so late diners could catch it before dinner. This is a no win situation it seems. Many of us complained when they switched to 3 shorter shows, preferring 2 longer shows as had been the practice. We board the Caribbean P tomorrow for a week over Christmas, so we'll see if its still the same on this vessel.

They shortened the shows to offer three nightly as a way to deal with the shortage of seating in the Princess Theater. At the same time they pretty much eliminated a second show in the Explorers Lounge. Now they've eliminated the third show in Princess Theater. Without a doubt, the Emerald Princess seems to bear the brunt of Princess entertainment cutbacks.

:(

I was on the Crown Princess in October. There were two shows in the Princess Theater, both about 30 minutes long. I wondered about the "Let's do 3 shows....policy". The shows were early (I think 7 and 8:15?). I thought it was very poor timing too since we had early traditional and barely made it to the show in time to find seats. It was always packed. The Princess Theater worked when: you are on a small ship, if there is another show in a different lounge (oops....no more Vista Lounges or Universe Theaters). So the only option is the Princess Theater for 3000 guests.

Did they at least offer a movie later in the evening in the Explorer's lounge or Club Fusion?

No they did not offer a movie except for MUTS which by the way was jammed packed....no seats available. If you were not interested in the Deck Party kind of activity there was absolutely nothing to do. The shows on the Emerald were at 7 and 8:15 and were 30 minutes long. There was NOTHING in the Princess theater after the 8:15 show. Club Fusion had mostly games (Trivia, etc.).

I think the change back to two shows a night might have occurred some time ago, at least for some itineraries.

We were just aboard the Pacific Princess and the shows were at 7:45 and 9:45, except for the night of the Deck Party. In February the Crown had shows at 8:00 and 10:00. In September of last year the Regal had shows at 8:15 and 10:15. On those cruises the shows were in the 40-45 minute range.

In March of last year the Grand did have three shows at 7:00, 8:30 and 10:15, in January of last year the Sapphire had shows at 7:15, 8:45 and 10:00 and in June of 2013 the Emerald had shows at 7:15, 8;30 and 10:15.

In January of 2013 the Island only had shows twice except for "On the Bayou" which was offered three times because of demand.

However, on all of the above cruises there was a show that started around 10:00 except for the nights of the Deck Party or the Balloon Drop.

I wonder if the problem was related to the cruise being a 5 night cruise. On the first night the Welcome Aboard show is typically only offered twice and on two following nights there was probably the Deck Party and the Balloon Drop around 10:00 with only two shows scheduled earlier in the evening.

I think the change back to two shows a night might have occurred some time ago, at least for some itineraries.

We were just aboard the Pacific Princess and the shows were at 7:45 and 9:45, except for the night of the Deck Party. In February the Crown had shows at 8:00 and 10:00. In September of last year the Regal had shows at 8:15 and 10:15. On those cruises the shows were in the 40-45 minute range.

In March of last year the Grand did have three shows at 7:00, 8:30 and 10:15, in January of last year the Sapphire had shows at 7:15, 8:45 and 10:00 and in June of 2013 the Emerald had shows at 7:15, 8;30 and 10:15.

In January of 2013 the Island only had shows twice except for "On the Bayou" which was offered three times because of demand.

However, on all of the above cruises there was a show that started around 10:00 except for the nights of the Deck Party or the Balloon Drop.

I wonder if the problem was related to the cruise being a 5 night cruise. On the first night the Welcome Aboard show is typically only offered twice and on two following nights there was probably the Deck Party and the Balloon Drop around 10:00 with only two shows scheduled earlier in the evening.

Don't think it had to do with being 5 nights. Last year and year before we were on 5 night cruises and there were always 10:15 shows or movies.

Celebrity offers 2 shows a night, at roughly 7:00 and 8:30, and they make it clear that late diners are supposed to go the the early show before dinner, while early diners go to the 2nd show after dinner. We don't care for this at all, we are late diners who enjoy a leisurely cocktail before dinner and don't want to rush to a show. But Celebrity insists their data shows this is what their cruisers want (although they give no info on who is actually saying this!) Maybe this is the direction Princess is moving??

Celebrity offers 2 shows a night, at roughly 7:00 and 8:30, and they make it clear that late diners are supposed to go the the early show before dinner, while early diners go to the 2nd show after dinner. We don't care for this at all, we are late diners who enjoy a leisurely cocktail before dinner and don't want to rush to a show. But Celebrity insists their data shows this is what their cruisers want (although they give no info on who is actually saying this!) Maybe this is the direction Princess is moving??

How does Celebrity make it clear or insist? We go when we want. No one every checks on when you go. Princess doesn't either.

How does Celebrity make it clear or insist? We go when we want. No one every checks on when you go. Princess doesn't either.

Celebrity of course can't insist, or bar people at the door if the don't follow the rules! Every day's edition of Celebrity Today lists the show schedule and informs you that late diners are accommodated at the 7:00 show. Logistically, they are stuck --- there is no show at 10:30 or thereabouts for you to attend after dinner. I'm talking about the shows in the main theater here, Celebrity sometimes has special late evening entertainment at other venues around the ship. But if you are eating dinner in the 8:30 range, you either see the 7:00 show or you skip the show that evening. I realize we are on the Princess boards here, I only bring it up in response to earlier comments re: a possible new trend of timing the evening shows.

We were on board this cruise with you. Not a new policy. Just an awful cruise director and an ill-prepared crew. We were indeed supposed to have two production shows - one of them being the new, highly touted "Magic to Do" about which we had received a pre-cruise email form the CD. Clearly, either the cast or technical crew was not ready to perform the show, so they pulled it from this cruise and will debut it on the one that is sailing now. The CD couldn't come up with something to replace it other than 4 nights of mediocre comedy?

28 cruises behind me, 22 on Princess. This was by far the worst cruise I have ever sailed. It came out of drydock and clearly was not ready to do so. Read the other thread about the plumbing issues, medical "all call" in the middle of the night - twice, and so much more.

Many, many blue and gold cards on board. Most of them will never sail Princess again. Platinums, too. Even some of the 189 Elites on board were considering trying other lines.

Many, many blue and gold cards on board. Most of them will never sail Princess again. Platinums, too. Even some of the 189 Elites on board were considering trying other lines.

You took a survey of hundreds of passengers or just puffing? Exactly how many did you survey and how many stated they wouldn't sail Princess again?

We were on the regal in Nov and there were only 2 short shows. There was no seating if you didn't come very early.

We were on board this cruise with you. Not a new policy. Just an awful cruise director and an ill-prepared crew. We were indeed supposed to have two production shows - one of them being the new, highly touted "Magic to Do" about which we had received a pre-cruise email form the CD. Clearly, either the cast or technical crew was not ready to perform the show, so they pulled it from this cruise and will debut it on the one that is sailing now. The CD couldn't come up with something to replace it other than 4 nights of mediocre comedy?

28 cruises behind me, 22 on Princess. This was by far the worst cruise I have ever sailed. It came out of drydock and clearly was not ready to do so. Read the other thread about the plumbing issues, medical "all call" in the middle of the night - twice, and so much more.

Hi,

I was just curious what "medical all call" is.

Thanks

Celebrity of course can't insist, or bar people at the door if the don't follow the rules! Every day's edition of Celebrity Today lists the show schedule and informs you that late diners are accommodated at the 7:00 show. Logistically, they are stuck --- there is no show at 10:30 or thereabouts for you to attend after dinner. I'm talking about the shows in the main theater here, Celebrity sometimes has special late evening entertainment at other venues around the ship. But if you are eating dinner in the 8:30 range, you either see the 7:00 show or you skip the show that evening. I realize we are on the Princess boards here, I only bring it up in response to earlier comments re: a possible new trend of timing the evening shows.

Fully understand it is in the Celebrity Today and what it implies. On Formal nights the show time was 8:15 or 8:30 and 10:15 or 10:30. Yes, I was also talking about the shows in the main theater, too. Just got off of the Eclipse 13 day cruise.

We like the show schedules that Princess provides. There is no way, unless they enforce it based on checking your Cruise Card of when you attend to see if you have TD or ATD.

RCI requires reservations for the Oasis, Allure and other big ships. You make that reservation and it is on your Cruise Card. They scan it to see if you have a reservation for that show and time. If not, you have to wait and then they will allow others in after those who made reservations show up.

Clearly, either the cast or technical crew was not ready to perform the show, so they pulled it from this cruise and will debut it on the one that is sailing now. The CD couldn't come up with something to replace it other than

<snip>

It came out of drydock and clearly was not ready to do so.

I knew the lighting guy on emerald a few years ago.

While the ship was in drydock, they got a software update for

the computer running the lights in the showlounge.

It took them two cruises to get things working again.

I think your comments probably identify cause and effect.

Was on the Caribbean Princess from Quebec City to Houston in October.

Entertainment was a mix of 2 and 3 shows a night. The production shows were 30 minutes and there were three shows. The other shows tended to be longer and there were usually 2 shows a night.

We have only sailed on Celebrity once and saw all shows on that sailing because of what you posted above. We had anytime dining and went to the 7:00 show then went to dinner. It was perfect. The theater wasn't crowded and by the time the show was over the rush in the MDR was over as well. I haven't seen a single show on Princess even after sailing 5 times with them. I refuse to sit in the theater for 45 minutes to get a seat to watch a 30 minute show. I understand the theater on the new Princess ships are even worse than the Grand class ships. I never read anything on Celebrity that dictated what show I was to go to but since we had Anytime dining they really couldn't monitor us anyway.

Was Frank Castiglione the cruise director? According to the cruise director list here on CC it appears that he just boarded the ship at the end of November before refit. That fact, the likely crew changes and equipment issues probably contributed to some holes in the entertainment schedule. I don't know what went on, but just speculating. I've always heard that it's risky going on a cruise right after drydock. I'm sure they'll get it all sorted out soon. I'm sorry for the people who had bad luck with this cruise.

We have only sailed on Celebrity once and saw all shows on that sailing because of what you posted above. We had anytime dining and went to the 7:00 show then went to dinner. It was perfect. The theater wasn't crowded and by the time the show was over the rush in the MDR was over as well. I haven't seen a single show on Princess even after sailing 5 times with them. I refuse to sit in the theater for 45 minutes to get a seat to watch a 30 minute show. I understand the theater on the new Princess ships are even worse than the Grand class ships. I never read anything on Celebrity that dictated what show I was to go to but since we had Anytime dining they really couldn't monitor us anyway.

I have done a couple of hundred days on Princess including over 50 in the past two years. I attend most shows, usually the one that most crowded around 7pm. I have never had a problem finding a seat 15 minutes before it opens. Now since I like a seat on the aisle I sometimes show up 20-25 minutes before to get one of those prime seats. In many cases you are not even allowed into the theater until 30 minutes before. So not sure where you pulled the 45 minute number from.

Was Frank Castiglione the cruise director? According to the cruise director list here on CC it appears that he just boarded the ship at the end of November before refit. That fact, the likely crew changes and equipment issues probably contributed to some holes in the entertainment schedule. I don't know what went on, but just speculating. I've always heard that it's risky going on a cruise right after drydock. I'm sure they'll get it all sorted out soon. I'm sorry for the people who had bad luck with this cruise.

Yes he was the cruise director, and I might say the invisible one. When I wrote him a note about the lack of 10 PM show or movies, he did not respond. You are right about going on a cruise after drydock. I would never do it again. Still showing a movie in the theater at 10, if there was no entertainment available, would not have been that difficult.

Yes he was the cruise director, and I might say the invisible one. When I wrote him a note about the lack of 10 PM show or movies, he did not respond. You are right about going on a cruise after drydock. I would never do it again. Still showing a movie in the theater at 10, if there was no entertainment available, would not have been that difficult.

Especially when the theater is empty. :mad: