Have you ever been quarantined on a ship?

tbmrt

We bring an arsenal of meds with us on every cruise "just in case".

Curious....How does the ship handle one being quarantined for a cold, cough or other non-serious ailment? Have you ever been quarantined?

I'm not sure exactly what you're asking, but I don't think the cruise line will quarantine anyone for a cough or a cold, only for something like Norovirus. Many people self-quarantine, or stay away from crowds and spend more time in their cabin while they have a cold, if that's what you mean.

Edited by lisiamc

My husband was quarantined a few years ago during a norovirus outbreak on the Infinity. He had GI symptoms but since we carry meds with us by the time the medical unit opened in the morning he was improving but still reported to the medical division. We were to go on a ship excursion early that morning & we were both fully reimbursed by Celebrity.

He was requested to remain in his cabin for 24 additional hours which he did.

Celebrity notified the room steward & bottled water was delivered free. Pay per view movies were no charge for 24 hrs. He received a call from medical after 24 hrs , was symptom free & went about the ship.

While going to meals, etc we overheard other passengers says they did not report their symptoms & continued to go all over the ship.

I don't think I have ever heard of quarantine on the ship for a respiratory illness.

There is a huge difference between having a cold and having the flu. If they quarantined pax for having a cough or cold, half the ship would be confined to their cabins :eek:. Sounds quite good actually: no queues, could easily find a table in the Oceanview, choice of seats in the theatre - you may be on to something here :rolleyes: :D!

I was on a Princess cruise a few years ago with Norovirus, a truly horrible experience. Four shots by the doctor and they came into the cabin fully suited up spraying everything around me. That's about it, never got a follow up phone call, they just said don't leave the cabin.

One cruise, as we were sailing into the port in San Juan - we hear this violent ruckus coming from the cabin next to us :eek: it sounded like a domestic dispute gone very bad. Furniture hitting the wall, yelling and screaming.

I immediately call down to report that security should investigate. Then a young man (early 20's) steps out to the balcony and is screaming, crying, and threatening to jump overboard and kill himself! I run back and dial up security and tell them the guy is threatening to jump overboard - hurry up. I'm thinking this is a romance gone south or something.

Finally security shows up, gets the guy calmed down and stop by to explain to us that the guy had gone down the night before the ships doctor complaining of stomach issues -- on embarkation day -- so they quarantined him for 24 hrs. He was going to have to miss the port of San Juan and he was mad. :cool: In my mind he was a total nut job and should have been put off the ship for that hysterical display - scaring people but after that incident - we never heard a peep from him again.

My infant granddaughter started to vomit while on a Disney cruise. She was quarantined for several days. My daughter obviously remained with her in the cabin. Water, smoothies, movies and anything else she could want were provided at no cost. She felt that they were treated quite well. My SIL and other granddaughter were allowed to roam the ship freely.

Sent from my SM-G386W using Tapatalk

We were both quarantined for 48 hours with fairly mild Noro. We were well looked after with frequent phone calls and visits from medical staff as well as room service and free movies. The symptoms only lasted a few hours, but we were quarantined until 24 hours after the last episode. We were refunded the cost of the tour we had booked, and also received a future cruise credit for two times the daily rate we had paid. Medical treatment was free. This was on Solstice several years ago. We heard of people who did not report and continued to go around the ship. We carry over the counter meds, and used them, which probably reduced the problem, but felt that reporting was the right thing to do.

My husband was quarantined for several days a few years ago. He became came sick in Athens and went to the medical office on board. He was given meds and could not leave the cabin. He missed Santorini and even thought he was much better, they would not release him to see Rome. They called several times a day to ensure he had not left the cabin. There were countless folks affected on this cruise. Medical facility was packed, ship smelled like chlorox. Someone tried to leave the ship and the card scanner will emit a loud beep if you have been quarantined.....so no cheating on that. One couple on their honeymoon was so angry, ( he was quarantined) they left the ship and flew home on their dime. This can really be a vacation nightmare. They threatened to quarantine me too even though I never had any symptoms.

( I was an elementary teacher...we never get sick...haha!). We never cruise now without a plethora of meds....even get an antibiotic from our doctor, just in case. It's just one of those things....we now wash hands often, that's for sure!

If you voluntarily quarantine you are given free medical care, movies, water, food delivered, and partial reimbursement for your cruise if it appears to be noro. We too carry meds, but they do absolutely nothing for a virus. Do work fine for infections though or symptom relief.

This is one area where Celebrity does much better than many of the others.

Washing hands . . . as a retired teacher always go to bathroom and completely wash mine before and after meals or time in public areas anyplace. Rarely sick anymore. Imagine that!!!

Those that are saying that Celebrity doesn't quarantine for coughs or colds are 100% uninformed.

Earlier this year on Equinox a friend we travel with came down with a cough/cold so bad he could hardly breathe, had to spend the night running the shower and breathing the steam. Went to the Med center the next morning and they quarantined him for 24 hours.

Those that are saying that Celebrity doesn't quarantine for coughs or colds are 100% uninformed.

Earlier this year on Equinox a friend we travel with came down with a cough/cold so bad he could hardly breathe, had to spend the night running the shower and breathing the steam. Went to the Med center the next morning and they quarantined him for 24 hours.

I agree with your initial statement. I got bacterial bronchitis on Millennium and had to visit the Dr. I was confined to my cabin for 24 hours which I did not mind as I had voluntarily stayed in the cabin for 7 days already. DH brought me food when I wanted it. We each got a certificate for $125 which we used on another cruise. It does happen if you are sick enough with something other than Noro.

A few years ago I got sick on a P and O cruise, I personally think it was more food poisoning (Due to a lukewarm greasy scotch egg....) than Noro.

However I was quarantine for 3 days, the cabins was supposed to be deep cleaned twice a day, after the initial visit they simply cleaned the room, missing what looked like pill under the chest of draws, no deep clean there then.....

Meals were delivered on paper plates and left in the room mostly overnight before collection.

I think we had one follow up call from a nurse on day 3, when the symptoms had subsided, whereby she allowed us to leave the cabin and resume what was left of the cruise.

Bearing in mind we were in one of the 2 best suites on the boat, with a butler we felt abandoned, god knows what it would have been like for a family with small children in a small cramped cabin.........

We have never sailed P and O since, and are not likely to in the future.

It sounds like Celebrity have a little more compassion.......

I was quarantined for 3 days on Adventure of the Seas due to the Noro virus. RCCI were excellent, frequent phone calls, deep cleaning of the room, free in room movies, and free access to the Evian in the cabin chill cabinet.

Luckily I didn't miss any ports, but being confined to the cabin on dry toast and peppermint tea for three days did prove difficult at times!

Sent from my iPad using Forums

I self reported symptoms a few years ago and was quarantined for 4 days. I was graciously given future cruise credit even though Celebrity was under no obligation to do so.

Those who do not report their symptoms are incredibly selfish-they are jeopardizing all other passengers and crew.

I feel that my life is so blessed to begin with to be able to cruise that I have nothing to whine about.

Ship happens.

Happy Sails to You

OOOEEE Baby :D:D Bob and Phyl

Last year on the Reflection my 12 year old daughter started to choke on something and it caused her to cough so hard that she vomited. The staff went into overdrive immediately. We were sent to the doctor who felt that there was no threat of noro but asked if we would keep her in the room until the next day. They really bent over backwards to look after any needs that she might have but they don't take any chances. They completely disinfected our room from top to bottom. On the last night we were given a totally different tag for disembarking ( # 99). Our luggage was all wrapped in plastic and came out on a totally different conveyer.