PHOTO REVIEW: H turns GOLD on the Carnival Conquest (Fun Times, New Menus)

ProfCruise

Yay another H review! And this one is the ship and itinerary we are doing next, so I especially can't wait. Congrats to Mom on tenure, and yay for the cruise review to come.

Yay, exciting! You'll love it. Be sure to ask any questions I don't answer.

DON’T JUDGE A BOOK (FUN SHIP) BY ITS COVER (EXTERIOR)

I'll have to agree with you on that. Also, like you said beauty is on the inside, and while her outside needs some attention, everything on the inside was pretty well maintained. There were a few things here or there that needed some attention, but nothing that would ruin your experience in the slightest.

Edited by SKosto

DELI

What? You’re still here? You get a prize! It’s not a ship on a stick. Mom finally won one (stay tuned) and she’s not giving it up. She put it in the china cabinet where my baby photos used to be (priorities). But if you’re looking for a mean grilled cheese and are a bit of a rebel, I can tell you where to get one. The deli! You can also get one in the MDR or through room service, but it tastes better from the deli because it’s an off-menu item. If you’re too nervous to order a straight up grilled cheese, just order the grilled ham and cheese, hold the ham. And if they give you any trouble, tell them H sent you.

deli_grilled%20cheese_harrison_zpslibcyzip.jpg

For my conformist readers, the deli also has some delicious on-menu items.

deli%20menu%20edited_zpswu8tjpwc.jpg

Here's the Arugula, Pepper, and Mozzarella on Ciabatta (mom, you wimp):

deli_arulala%20mozzerella%20roated%20pepper_zpsuwjp6qvr.jpg

H, such a cutie! I hope when I finally have grandkids, they are as cute as you!

Looking forward to hearing more.

Only question, I am having hard time reading. Have to keep scrolling over to read. ?? Maybe put font a bit smaller? Other than that, loving it! :D

Uck, sorry about the scrolling -- I hate when I have to do that. I'll try reducing the font and we'll see if that helps. Report back! I hope your grandkids are as cute as me, but much better behaved (then again, when you're the grandparent I guess it doesn't matter as much!). :cool:

IT’S NOT A SUNBURN (read as Arnold Schwarzenegger in “Kindergarten Cop”)

Ship%20gym_sarah_zpszqrbvfov.jpg

That’s not a sunburn. It’s mom’s face after an hour at the HOT, HUMID, HOOOOOOOOT (pronounced “hot,” but with a long drawn out ‘’o,” not like the sound an owl makes) gym. Did I mention it was hot? And humid? Mom walked in and was like “gosh golly it’s hotter than McDonald’s coffee in here” (for what she really said, replace “gosh golly” with a word that starts with “h” and another word that starts with “s” and “McDonald’s coffee” with a different word that starts with “h”). Then she noticed this dude on the treadmill in a long-sleeved full-length blue jumpsuit, barely breaking a sweat, and thought she must be going through the change of life (my dream of a sibling never to be). Relax Gigi (she really wants another grandchild), he was maintenance fixing a few broken machines.

gym1_zpsnng71f5i.jpg

With a dehumidifier (add that to the list of essential items to pack for a cruise) and ice packs strapped to your waist, forehead, and extremities, you’ll still not enjoy (because who really enjoys exercise – especially on vacation) the wide variety of cardio and weight machines and free weights. On a positive note, there are TV’s on most of the cardio machines with lots of different channels and great music pumped in for during commercials. For an extra rigorous workout, try going for a run on the treadmill while at sea (wanna sign mom’s cast?). There is also a small table and some comfortable chairs if you just want to come to the gym for the view (of the water out the front of the ship – get your mind out of the gutter).

gym2_zpswz717f5k.jpg

DÉJÀ VU ALL OVER AGAIN

The shower/spa area was identical to the Freedom as far as mom could tell, right down to the shower doors that didn’t close properly. For those of you to lazy to refer back to my Freedom review, I’ll throw in one tip here. Well two. Well three. Well technically four. First, shower – small quarters, ya know (Even if you’re still a little afraid of getting water in your eyes – I tell mom to hold a dry washcloth over them and to tip her head back). Second (well technically third), shower at the spa instead of in your stateroom (anyone can use the showers for free – they’re located directly before the door to the gym). And third (well technically fourth), wedge a towel in the shower door to keep it closed.

Fancy showers

ship_gym1_zps0l1jpn8c.jpg

Locker area

ship_gym3_zpsu8izeuh4.jpg

Proof that there are other uses for towels other than to make towel animals.

ship_gym2_zpsdxi4p7qi.jpg

THE NEW CAMP OCEAN

So new the carpet was still shedding (or maybe Cat in the Hat snuck in there) and just in time for H (they installed the new Camp Ocean 3 weeks ago). On the Freedom last year I was just shy of 2 and mom wasn’t quite ready to part with me yet (this is mom: I was more than ready to part with him -- he wasn’t old enough). This year I attended camp and for some reason mom was in a much better mood. I was in the Penguin group, but they seemed to combine the age groups at times (due to the relatively small number of kids on board) and a few siblings in different age ranges were put in the same group (if any of you are wondering if that’s possible – it appears to be).

Anyway, there were tons of fun toys to play with and activities and the teachers were nice and thought I was beautiful (they said that to all the parents, but it happens to be true for me). Here are some photos of me exploring camp on the first day (you can show up anytime on embarkation day to register or take a tour…they even let me play for a few minutes) followed by the schedules for each age group.

Even if you don't have kids, stick around, we’re getting to the big prize in just a Few. More. Minutes

camp%20ocean3_zps8maauex2.jpg

camp%20ocean1_zpsd8akvy6n.jpg

camp%20ocean2_zpsrdnm4yye.jpg

We were on this sailing with you, H! Looking forward to reading more :). We had a great cruise!

Obviously you weren't in the room next to us or it wouldn't have been that great. :eek: Be sure to chime in with your observations -- that always makes this so much more fun! Glad you had a great cruise, we did too (spoiler alert: I think it was our best yet).

DIVE-IN MOVIES

dive%20in%20movie_zpsykwkbaee.jpg

This activity combines one of grandma’s favorite past times (movies) with one of mom’s (sitting outside in the cool evening under a warm blanket, AKA, being lazy). We’ve never tried the dive-in movies because we’ve never finished dinner in time for the early showing and mom and grandma are too old for the later showing (if they offered a 4:00pm dinner seating, they’d sign up). However this time, thanks to our awesome MDR wait staff (more on them later), we finished dinner with plenty of time to secure a good seat and enjoyed 3 different movies (Jurassic World, Mission Impossible…something, and Ant Man). Jurassic World reminded mom of the Fun Shops during the final sale – she personally witnessed someone lose an arm over a $19.95 watch/necklace set.

Try to get there at least 15 minutes early for a prime seat (or be one of those people and put your towel down on a chair before you leave for dinner). You can borrow as many blankets as you want (get a few extras to sit on or your tush will hurt – unless you already have enough padding like mom) and there’s popcorn available (although it's not dripping in butter like I prefer it).

I'm loving your review!!! Thanks for helping me pass the time until my cruise! H you are just so adorable! I hope mom let you have all the cheese and orange sherbet you wanted on this cruise, after all, isn't that what cruises are for?