Wash cloths don't go in the toilet!

geri

Who knows? I was just quoting what we were told. Seems to be believable based on other comments in this thread. Maybe a Caribbean Princess thing since they have been burned recently?

we were told the same on the Sun princess last month and our steward got us a package after we asked

Last week during our Caribbean Princess cruise, I noticed that the facial tissue container (under the bathroom sink) was empty. I asked our attendant to please fill the container and he said that Princess no longer provides facial tissue because of people putting them in the toilet. I said that was a stupid thing to do (flushing facial tissue) and he agreed to supply us with tissue both in the bathroom and in the main cabin area adding that he trusted us. I guess we looked trust worthy.

Long story, but if you are missing facial tissue there is a reason and it is not the attendant's fault. (BTW - - My wife and I both thought that our cabin attendant was the best we have had in several years. Extremely friendly and helpful.) Darn; I just remembered, I forgot to mention him in the Princess Survey that we got a day or two after getting home. I will have my wife give me a swift kick!

Interesting...we were on the CB the week before you, and we had plenty of tissues in our cabin (Vista Suite)!:rolleyes: However, I got the same response as you when I asked for a blanket instead of the duvet...Princess no longer provides blankets.:( I ended up using one of the blankets that were on our balcony loungers.

Interesting responses from steward. We asked for a mattress topper--were told that we should have requested it on line in advance (we had done that thru the access office). Steward said impossible to get it now. Asked for a footstool for the balcony--told they were only available in the suites. There was another request also with essentially the response that it wasn't possible.

He did a good job in taking care of the room and was friendly, but each of our 3 requests were "not possible." No problem. I'll buy a memory foam topper before the next cruise.

Only to a lawyer. Any "normal" person knows that you don't flush a wash cloth down the toilet. And the other items mentioned make it clear that this was not an issue where a wash cloth got really nasty and the room inhabitant couldn't figure out what to do with it.

Intent must be proven to file a charge. There has to be a union of act and intent. And how do you know what was clear in the mind of the person who flushed a wash cloth down a toilet? Could it have been an accident, or do you already know the answer. and have decided it was intentional?;)

Not sure the facial tissue story was true, we still had plenty on Diamond a month ago.

Had them supplied on Diamond but the cruise before that on Sea P we were told the same thing and then supplied with them. Maybe different customs in different places, re toilet paper in some Asian countries. Who knows?

I have not seen blankets for the beds on Princess for a few years.

I haven't seen them on any line in quite a few years, but I've always been able to get one when I asked. I'm at that age when I get hot at night!:p:rolleyes::p

We did have a NASTY old bedspread that got folded up and put under the bed each evening, and got placed back on top of the duvet every morning when our cabin was made up. I asked for it to be left off, and I was told that wasn't allowed. I usually ended up just folding it back. When it was put under the bed at night it wasn't put inside anything, it was just put on the floor. I'm not a germophobe, but I didn't care for that practice.

I have not seen blankets for the beds on Princess for a few years.

We have approx. 10 cruises under our belts in the past 2-3 years and have ALWAYS requested a blanket to replace the duvet. They always came by the evening turn down and always fresh and clean. It might be ship-dependent as our were the Sea, Grand, Star, and Golden Princesses.

Ooops, I just realized you probably meant they were not there on the bed from the beginning. Of course, you're right. They always begin with the duvet and then get changed out.

Edited by iceleven

Surprisingly, quite a few people bring their own TP because they don't like the TP on the ship, which also screws up the plumbing, and then they blame Princess for their stupidity.

True Above^^^^

It needs to be Marine Grade TP!

LuLu

Urban Myth Alert.

There is nothing special about the toilet paper used on the cruise ships, most people don't like it because it is the cheapest stuff around. Marine toilet paper is designed to dissolve quickly to prevent clogging in boat toilets that involve valves and hand pumps. Without getting too disgusting, a vacuum toilet system requires a certain amount of "consistency" in order to maintain the "plug" travelling down the pipe. Dissolving toilet paper does not provide the "consistency" needed. This is from my 40 years of working with vacuum toilet systems.

While toilet issues are one of the most common reasons for compensation, the cruise lines just don't want the hassle of "prosecuting" a guest for this. Depending on where the clog happens, we are pretty good at determining where the problem came from. Generally, they will be warned, as a PP suggested, but for crew it is a termination offence.

As for the great Kleenex debate, again, unless you put a whole box down the can at once, there is nothing wrong with putting Kleenex down the toilet. The problem is not with "pressed" fiber paper products like Kleenex or toilet tissue, it is with the "woven" fiber paper products like baby wipes, Clorox wipes, and paper towels.

It is amazing what is found in the toilet system. Wash cloths, towels, dinner napkins, underwear (and this increases when noro is present, if you can form the image as to why), swimwear, crack pipes, coke spoons, and once six rounds of 9mm ammunition. We had two crew who were fired, and decided to send their entire uniforms down the can, and were surprisingly successful in getting them a ways down the pipe.

Surprisingly, quite a few people bring their own TP because they don't like the TP on the ship, which also screws up the plumbing, and then they blame Princess for their stupidity.

I do prefer a certain brand of TP, but I will use the supplied TP because it's designed for the particular system used aboard. I also found Kleenex Toilet Wipes which are moist, and flushable in a regular toilet. I WILL NOT be stupid enough on the cruise to put them anywhere but in the rubbish bin in the bathroom, and use a Body Spray as an Air Freshener. I'll make sure to use the supplied TP, and just "soothe" that area with a moist wipe-there is NOTHING more stressful for me than NOT having ready access to a toilet in a hurry. Been caught on a road trip, so now very wary. I'll make sure to pack the soothing wipes NOT my favourite brand of TP.

This is the sort of "newbie mistake" I joined Cruise Critic to avoid if at all possible. A surge-protected power strip was ruthlessly eliminated from the packing list due to information on another thread.

Someone mentioned the Chocolate Drinks-well I went looking, and found several I'd like to try in the Wheelhouse Bar, and I will note the names and ask at other bars and report back.

In 322 nights time, I should be enjoying a last Nightcap before settling down with my alarm set to get up in time to watch as the Golden Princess enters the Heads. I found information that indicates a possible 3.30 am entry, so a quiet day in Melbourne and an early night is indicated for me.

Only a rash vest, sunscreen, replacing my orange shoes and medication need to be bought to complete the packing. I'm going to concentrate on the 50th Anniversary Gift purchases-mugs, cap and water bottles requested as Gifts for family members. I'm quite happy to be told their preferred Souvenirs in order of preference, it sure makes my work easier-just have to save the money! 1 cousin's having a bad run of breaking mugs, so their Souvenir and Christmas presents are easy-peasy!

I should know in April what the sailings of the Golden Princess should be from Melbourne, and have picked my next cruise. Most likely a 2 night Melbourne-Sydney cruise so no reason to get a Future Cruise Credit, but I will put the money aside "Just In Case" the scheduling is in my favour!

Hi All

There is a great tv show about one of the big RC ships that shows a mock up

of ships plumbing in a big hall with clear pipes, different types of custard

are being used, with paper to work out requirements and limits of system.

yours Shogun

Hi All

There is a great tv show about one of the big RC ships that shows a mock up

of ships plumbing in a big hall with clear pipes, different types of custard

are being used, with paper to work out requirements and limits of system.

yours Shogun

Yes, I've always "worried" about those types of people who study sewage flow in clear pipes, though I am glad that they do it. If a vacuum toilet is too far from the pumps in the engine room, the "custard" plug will break down and you need to install a "booster" station that will reassemble it.

We have approx. 10 cruises under our belts in the past 2-3 years and have ALWAYS requested a blanket to replace the duvet. They always came by the evening turn down and always fresh and clean. It might be ship-dependent as our were the Sea, Grand, Star, and Golden Princesses.

Ooops, I just realized you probably meant they were not there on the bed from the beginning. Of course, you're right. They always begin with the duvet and then get changed out.

Yes!

I doubt they would have enough to place on every bed and have a sizable amount being laundered at the same time.

So at least enough for requests.

Not sure how this thread evolved from wash clothes in the toilet to this! :eek: Oh!! It was Cindy.

Edited by Colo Cruiser

I haven't seen them on any line in quite a few years, but I've always been able to get one when I asked. I'm at that age when I get hot at night!:p:rolleyes::p

We did have a NASTY old bedspread that got folded up and put under the bed each evening, and got placed back on top of the duvet every morning when our cabin was made up. I asked for it to be left off, and I was told that wasn't allowed. I usually ended up just folding it back. When it was put under the bed at night it wasn't put inside anything, it was just put on the floor. I'm not a germophobe, but I didn't care for that practice.

We would have insisted that the bedspread be left off. We tell our steward on the first day that we don't want the duvet put back on the bed for the rest of the cruise, and there have only been a couple of times that we had to ask a second time. The duvet goes under the bed on day 1, and it stays there.

If you ask to have it taken out of the cabin that's another story. Often there isn't enough room to store unwanted items that belong in cabins.

Yes!

I doubt they would have enough to place on every bed and have a sizable amount being laundered at the same time.

So at least enough for requests.

Not sure how this thread evolved from wash clothes in the toilet to this! :eek: Oh!! It was Cindy.

Guilty!:o

You can get a blanket by simply asking your steward.

Apparently that's only some stewards on some ships!:rolleyes:

I bring my own facial tissues as the ship's are thin and harsh. Folded in baggies they take up very little space. Obviously, I don't put them in the toilet... wouldn't put them in my own toilet at home!

Also, on the Crown this December we had facial tissues in the bathroom.