Have I chosen the wrong option?

Ms Jo UK

We were considering a journeys cruise on the legend from Vancouver to Hawaii in Sept 2017 or the same cruise in reverse in April 2017. I booked the April cruise as it was one extra day for only $10 more.

I now realise we would be leaving the UK at Easter (should have checked first I am dumb) to start our 3 day pre cruise stay so I have a few questions to help me evaluate whether to cancel April and rebook for September.

1. Do American schools have a two week break at Easter as the kids in the UK do, if so, are there likely to be many kids on board an 11 night Hawaii to Vancouver cruise? Love kids just do not want to be over run with them on a cruise it is not what we are looking for?

2. Is it a popular time to go to Oahu for Americans, trying to judge if hotels will be charging a premium at that time of year. We will be there 4 days starting Good Friday?

It will be no problem to change from the April to September as it is so far in the future.

Appreciate any help I can get with this.

1) Kids in the US get a week of for spring break, but it's not necessarily Easter, though. And the week kids are off depend on their school system. I've never been on a Hawaii cruise, but I wouldn't base it on spring break for kids. It's not like a lot of typical spring breakers will be taking trips to Hawaii, although I'm just guessing there.

2) not sure.

This is an 11 days cruise. I don't believe kids get 2 weeks school holiday at Easter. That said, I was on a recent cruise when schools were in session. To my surprise, there were a few school age kids running up and down the hallways. Either they are home school kids or experts in school ditching.

Spring Break runs from midMarch thru April. Depends on the school district and university schedule. K-12 (5y-18y) usually get a week, Semester universities will also get a week. Quarter system universities might have longer breaks. Traditionally the longer the cruise, less kids onboard. HI is a very popular destination any time of year.

Edited by SadieN

Thank you for all responses so far. Just wondering about the waikiki hotel rates over easter can anyone help with those. I have checked out 2016 Easter rates to try and give me some idea and they seem around $20 to $50 per night higher than September rates, although this is all based on 2016 and who knows what can happen in 2017.

Airfare is also $400 more in April than September, I guess I could take the September cruise and buy an extra night in Waikiki with that kind of money.

I would prefer the 21 hour flight with layover in LA on the way to the cruise than on the way home. It is only 9 hours from Vancouver.

So confused not sure at all what to do.

I can't answer your question based on personal knowledge.

However, I am currently in Hawaii for work. It is a mad house with everything fully booked. I would imagine that the Easter break would be the same. Everyone and their brother wanting to get away from the cold and dreary and come to the islands.

Therefore, it is my guess that airfare will be in high demand and lots of families in Hawaii with hotel rooms in high demand also.

An alternative would be the 15 day RT HI cruise out of Los Angeles or San Francisco.

Hotel rates are historical. Hotels have decided that Easter is a high season and you'll be paying higher for it. Look at alternatives- package deals, condos, tour companies etc.

I did the Sept Hawaiian cruise this year. Hotel and airfare were reasonable. Places were less crowded. Weather quite sunny and sea was calm. There is definitely an advantage to go in offseason.

Last year, wasn't "calm" seas. :)

September is typically cheaper than April, just because of the fear of hurricanes, which is more of a fear around the Gulf of Mexico & Caribbean Sea. But in regards to Easter being a time off school, for most of the U.S., that is no longer the case. There are still some schools that take their Spring Break around Easter every year, but most of them don't. In my part of the country, we're almost never out for Easter. Spring Break is always 1 week only, and the most common weeks are in March. Just about all colleges have it in March, and a large majority of high school & younger have it in March. Some parts of the U.S. do have Spring Break in April, but it's not nearly as much as March. That's why March is always extremely expensive for cruises & beach locations, then the prices drop dramatically in April. But with some schools getting Spring Break in April, it's not surprising that April is a little more expensive than September.

As others have said, spring break varies by school district, and can be anything between beginning of March through the middle of April. However, I doubt that many kids would be on a long Hawaiian cruise.

Oahu in April shouldn't be too bad, possibly shoulder season for Hawaii? When we did a land vacation to Hawaii in April a couple of years ago, we got flight (from Minnesota) and hotel for a little over $700/person for a 3.5 day vacation (so about $200/day), which I thought was a very good deal. And it wasn't too busy once in Hawaii, either.

Most schools in our area, unless they are religious schools do not have their breaks based on the Easter holiday. I would not be concerned with the fact that your cruise being over Easter would lead to more children on the cruise. Even if kids were on break from school they would only get a week off from school and I would not be as worried about them being on an 11 day cruise to Hawaii as I would if you were going on a cruise to the Caribbean or to the Bahamas.

I am sure there will be children on board, I've never been on a cruise with no kids, but I'm sure the number will be greatly reduced due to the length of the cruise you are taking!

I don't think kids and spring break will be an issue since kids in the U.S. get only one week for spring break and it may not fall during Easter. However, if you are saving $400 on airfare and another $200 or so on hotel then I would consider September. $600 in savings is great. I know it is one less day but think of it as giving up one day to save $600

It all depends on when Easter falls. I can't remember a grade or high school spring break for our son that fell around Easter. A week after or several weeks before. Colleges are another matter. Easter falls smack dab in the spring break time frame for a ton of them.

Thank you all for kind responses. I gather kids shouldn't be a problem, we really dont mind a few but on one of our last cruises there were 750 aboard and that was too many for us.

I guess I just have to figure out whether I am willing to pay the extra cost of flying in April, can't really check that out until May or June. Typical man lol my partner says he will leave it all up to me. In the meantime I will keep an eye on the September cruise to see how bookings are going.

Again thank you all so much for your input.

It is 55 mins to 2016 begins HAPPY NEW YEAR TO YOU ALL

We did a Royal Caribbean 13 night Hawaiian in late April and I think there were 5 kids on board total - all homeschooled siblings. There's definitely no risk of you having 750 kids again that's for sure.

Since you seem to have a bit of flexibility - having flown to HNL in one day from eastern Canada (last stop for the jumbos before heading over the pond to Heathrow lol) I would highly recommend going 1/2 way or so, staying the night and heading to Hawaii direct the following day.

We only had a 6 hr time difference and found it hard to adjust so can only imagine how difficult an additional 4 or 5 hrs depending on the date would be.

I would either divide it up into 4 flights or be the person who actually books that "horrendous" flight with a 18hr layover you always see and wonder who in their right mind would book lol

Edited by Beth C

We did a Royal Caribbean 13 night Hawaiian in late April and I think there were 5 kids on board total - all homeschooled siblings. There's definitely no risk of you having 750 kids again that's for sure.

Since you seem to have a bit of flexibility - having flown to HNL in one day from eastern Canada (last stop for the jumbos before heading over the pond to Heathrow lol) I would highly recommend going 1/2 way or so, staying the night and heading to Hawaii direct the following day.

We only had a 6 hr time difference and found it hard to adjust so can only imagine how difficult an additional 4 or 5 hrs depending on the date would be.

I would either divide it up into 4 flights or be the person who actually books that "horrendous" flight with a 18hr layover you always see and wonder who in their right mind would book lol

I have been researching my options tonight while waiting for Big Ben to strike the bells for New Year snd I am interested in a San Fransisco stopover on the way to Oahu, I will definately give it some thought and run it past my partner.

Thank you for your thoughts and warm wishes for 2016.

I have been researching my options tonight while waiting for Big Ben to strike the bells for New Year snd I am interested in a San Fransisco stopover on the way to Oahu, I will definately give it some thought and run it past my partner.

Thank you for your thoughts and warm wishes for 2016.

San Francisco is a beautiful city! Definitely my favorite city of all that I've been to. If you are planning to stay there for a day or 2, the hotels there are very expensive!!! But you can stay closer to the airport for much cheaper, and take the light rail into the city.

San Francisco is a beautiful city! Definitely my favorite city of all that I've been to. If you are planning to stay there for a day or 2, the hotels there are very expensive!!! But you can stay closer to the airport for much cheaper, and take the light rail into the city]

Thank you so much for this piece of advice, I have taken note and will certainly bear ir mind if that is the route we decide to take.