HAL Voyage of the Vikings 2017

S&B

Can a lowly one star Mariner get them to book early like you're saying? I had a future booking on VOTV 2016, they were supposed to call me when it appeared on Holland America, but they didn't. I ended up spotting it first. But they had the name of the booking incorrect.

I have a future booking on the So. Pacific, AU, NZ, but I'm not sure they'll call me because their abbreviations are weird, and they list the departure date in Feb, not September, no Port either. Apparently, this far out, they must fill out of different form.

Edited by knittinggirl

Wow...I have the time to do the 38 days but will have to convince myself and DW that an ocean view room will work for us for this cruise!

We are doing a variation of the VOV this year July 2, 2016 (first post with THIS year in it:D). 18 days Rotterdam to Boston and we will have a great itinerary including Shetland Islands, Bergen Norway, 4-5 days in Icelandic waters and ports, overnight stay in Reykiavik , Prince Christian Sund, 2 ports in Greenland, Newfoundland, Nova Scotia and end in Boston with a 70 minute plane ride home. Before the cruise we are spending 2 weeks in France and Germany doing our own land tour. Sooo looking forward to this cruise --our longest. We are in an ocean view and do not expect any problems as this is our usual accommodation. On this northern route where we "hope and expect" to see icebergs the temperatures in Iceland/Greenland will average out around 50 degrees and you have to add in wind chill. Not sit on a private balcony type of trip -- more like out on deck until hot refreshment needed. I don't expect to miss the balcony at all. (If lucky I will find the heat vent for the engines -- a perfect place to stand and watch the beautiful birds and scenery -- discovered on an around Cape Horne in South America cruise)

Cruise seems mostly full but come on and join us! A great group and a great cruise is planned.

Can a lowly one star Mariner get them to book early like you're saying? I had a future booking on VOTV 2016, they were supposed to call me when it appeared on Holland America, but they didn't. I ended up spotting it first. But they had the name of the booking incorrect.

I have a future booking on the So. Pacific, AU, NZ, but I'm not sure they'll call me because their abbreviations are weird, and they list the departure date in Feb, not September, no Port either. Apparently, this far out, they must fill out of different form.

We are only 2*. I booked with our TA though (which is not the same as the website I use to find the itineraries), not HAL.

We can't remember which side of the Veendam we were on, but when seeing something interesting the Captain would swing the ship around so both sides of the ship could get a good look. In the fjords you can see either side easily. No matter where your room is it is a great voyage!

I've done this cruise three times, in addition to the one-way Viking Passage (westbound) cruise a couple of times, too, so I'm familiar with the territory.

When you are near land, at sea, you really need to be outdoors to enjoy the wide expanse of view. When at sea, which side doesn't really matter too much. I used to enjoy seeing the oil platforms which were on the north side when the ship was heading west; there may also have been some on the south side, but I don't know.

is there one person who typically serves as cruise director on the VOV. In the last couple of years, gene young has been CD for world cruises. I understand that Mark has done the AA two years in a row.

Are there any special amenities as on grand voyages?

We are booked for 2016

When I've taken it there was a different CD each year. There was nothing comparable to a Grand Cruise, but we did have some nice parties. Such things as are held on longer cruises, like the Black & White Ball, were held. There was a great 4th of July party on a sea day one year.

There was always a decent lecture series. There was some nice local entertainment brought on board when the ship had a very late sailing, or an overnight.

I have been looking on the HAL website and cannot find any V of V cruise for 2017 in July or August. Are they not having those cruises or is it too early to be posted on their website. Thanks for any info.

The VoV for 2017 has been posted to the HAL site. At least I think it's the one you're looking for.

http://www.hollandamerica.com/find-cruise-vacation/CruiseDetails.action?webItineraryIdForAudit=E7T38S&fromSearchVacation=true&destList=EN,ET&dateCode=&flexibleMonths=false&noOfFlexibleMonths=1&portCode=&shipCodeSearch=RT&voyageCode=T748

We haven't been on this ship yet and are use to veranda cabins but if we do VoV in 2017 would need to either go with Lanai or unobstructed ocean view. I get abit claustrophobic so need large port hole window at a minimum. Very thankful we have the problem of deciding which will workout best.

I think the Lanai is a lot more expensive (like ~$4000 pp) than an oceanview. DH wants an balcony, and chose to move up to the VS so I wouldn't have to worry about people blocking our view. It's also our 30th Anniversary. We wanted something special.

Thanks everybody for all of your replies. I have found the cruise for 2017 and think it is great.

Bowie - You don't know how bad I want to go on that July 2, 2016 sailing but we just returned from a B2B - 22 day cruise to the Med. and we are having a new granddaughter the end of April so I think this summer is booked up.

We will probably book the July 15, 2017 segment but it does not go past the arctic circle which is on my bucket list. But it does go to Greenland which is a place we have always wanted to visit.

I wish we could start a thread just for VofV 2017 but I think it is too early.

Happy sailing. I am enjoying reading the July 2 roll call. Who knows??

Sorry can't make the July 2 cruise. I know the feeling -- last year our granddaughter was born Jan. 28 and we went for 4 days and then home for 20 HOURS before leaving on a 33 day trip to Taiwan,Indonesia, and Japan. Johanna came a day early-- every little bit helped[emoji7]

Wow...I have the time to do the 38 days but will have to convince myself and DW that an ocean view room will work for us for this cruise!

An oceanview on the Rotterdam's Lower Promenade is on the biggest balcony on the ship. Roger has correlated his Amsterdam photos for each of the ships in the Class to show HOW obstructed, "H" obstructed-views are. There are some bargains in that category!

• 3 months later...

Thinking about doing the first half of the 2017 VoV and flying home from Rotterdam. Does anyone know how the pricing of the partial itinerary works? Is it roughly 1/2 of the full price (20 of the 38 days)? Thanks!

Thinking about doing the first half of the 2017 VoV and flying home from Rotterdam. Does anyone know how the pricing of the partial itinerary works? Is it roughly 1/2 of the full price (20 of the 38 days)? Thanks!

The half voyage is listed as a separate cruise. (On the HAL site, search for transatlantic, July 2017, 17 or more days.) The fare is slightly more than half the full cruise. (18 of 36 days.)

• 8 months later...

The 2017 Voyage of the Vikings will leave Boston on August 2nd, 2017 on the ms Rotterdam, and will be a 38-day round-trip. We just booked it on board the Amsterdam on our December Hawaiian cruise. Hope to see you then. It was selling out extremely fast, tho`

We booked this cruise in May with the Future Cruise Consultant (FCC) onboard the Maasdam (another advantage of using an FCC). They know about some cruises well before they are posted on the HAL website. This will be our 2nd VoV-awesome itinerary!

Also, we already have a great Roll Call going and growing here on CC! Please join us if you book!

We cruised on the Rotterdam in 2015 on a Norway cruise, in an aft facing, corner cabin. We loved the ship and the cabin-we booked another aft facing, corner cabin again for the VoV.

We booked this cruise in May with the Future Cruise Consultant (FCC) onboard the Maasdam (another advantage of using an FCC). They know about some cruises well before they are posted on the HAL website. This will be our 2nd VoV-awesome itinerary!

Also, we already have a great Roll Call going and growing here on CC! Please join us if you book!

We cruised on the Rotterdam in 2015 on a Norway cruise, in an aft facing, corner cabin. We loved the ship and the cabin-we booked another aft facing, corner cabin again for the VoV.

Thanks for the tip to get over to the Roll Call - we booked a long time ago and it still seems like a long way off - we are on the full RT too. Trying to come up with something in my brain for our two days in Rotterdam right now.