Packing in a carry on... Yay or nay?

soozles

there would be no way I could pack in just a carry on....accidents happen when I eat sometimes, like something falls off the fork or I have a hole in my lip when I drink, HAHA :D so I cant rely on wearing the same item more than once on the cruise.....

Also we are doing the Caribbean and it will be hot...I get grossed out at wearing the same shirt or shorts that have my precious sweat on it from a few days before....

good luck to you if you pull it off, I know there are many that do...

our upcoming cruise is a 10 day and there will be 4 in my family traveling, im sure we will each have a large suitcase a piece and a carry on a piece.

If you travel without checked bags, do you still have to place the carry-ons in the hall the night before disembarkment?

Nope.....actually you need to keep that carry on bag with you.

Your sleepwear and whatever toiletries you have, etc....would need

to be packed in that bag. You would not put it out in the hallway.

And if you didn't check a large bag? Nothing will be placed out

in the hallway.

Edited by Lois R

We plan a packing change for our next cruise. We are going to take two rolling carry-ons each. The reasons for this are: the larger suitcases are heavy for DH to get in and out of the car trunk. And second we just reached a new past PAX level with Princess, where Princess will do as much laundry,pressing and dry cleaning as we want. There fore I can pack a little less for our week cruise.

What is the largest carry-on you can bring?

For most cruises the bag you choose to carry on can be larger than most airlines allow; as long as you can carry or roll it around until your cabin is ready. I have found the airline carry on limitations have gotten smaller over the past few years. I had to buy a new carry on suitcase because on WestJet the limit has been lowered to 21"; most airlines are 22".

For most cruises the bag you choose to carry on can be larger than most airlines allow; as long as you can carry or roll it around until your cabin is ready.

And of course it/they all must fit through an airport-style x-ray machine at the port.

If you (Laura that is) mean carry-on for flying:

Your airline will have a published size AND WEIGHT for carry-on, on line.

Most airlines (at least in the past) have used an odd way to specify the largest bag you can carry on, and that is (or was) "combined dimensions of 45 inches" or maybe 44 inches. This would be a 22" bag, 14" wide, and 9" deep or thick. The 'combined dimensions' were originally conceived to allow for garment bags, that might be something like 20x18x6 or 7.

Now pretty much all airlines have a "cage" at check in and/or near the gate with a big size that says 'your carry on must fit in here'. That cage looks a good deal smaller than combined 45"! and certainly would not hold a garment bag. I have NEVER seen anyone being forced to put their bag in one, but I have been forced to gate-check my bag that fit all the stated requirements including weight. Gate checking doesn't bother me at least if it is my last or only flight... I feel like my bag is going to make it to the destination with me. I keep EVERYTHING I need in my 'personal item' including anything with lithium batteries.

I think we will see WEIGHT restrictions enforced more and more. Fortunately my packing prowess is evolving along with the airlines' requirements!

Instead of the cubes, which I have, I prefer to use large ZipLoc bags: one for tops and one for bottoms.

I have traveled a few times now with only a carry-on and really like the ability to just get off the plane and go.

We are cruising next month and have a layover in NY. With carry-on only there is no fear of lost luggage. It forces me to take less and to be efficient in my packing, but for me the freedom is worth it.

I just packed the first carry-on with my stuff. I fixed everything in except shoes, costume Jewel and toilet articles. That will fill my second carry-on. My bags are 20 inch rolling type. I can't believe what I fit in there. Even my formal wear for two night. Now I will have to see how my DH's tux fits in!! These bag will be easier for us to get in and out of the car. At the port we park the car and take our bags.

And of course it/they all must fit through an airport-style x-ray machine at the port.

If you (Laura that is) mean carry-on for flying:

Your airline will have a published size AND WEIGHT for carry-on, on line.

Most airlines (at least in the past) have used an odd way to specify the largest bag you can carry on, and that is (or was) "combined dimensions of 45 inches" or maybe 44 inches. This would be a 22" bag, 14" wide, and 9" deep or thick. The 'combined dimensions' were originally conceived to allow for garment bags, that might be something like 20x18x6 or 7.

Now pretty much all airlines have a "cage" at check in and/or near the gate with a big size that says 'your carry on must fit in here'. That cage looks a good deal smaller than combined 45"! and certainly would not hold a garment bag. I have NEVER seen anyone being forced to put their bag in one, but I have been forced to gate-check my bag that fit all the stated requirements including weight. Gate checking doesn't bother me at least if it is my last or only flight... I feel like my bag is going to make it to the destination with me. I keep EVERYTHING I need in my 'personal item' including anything with lithium batteries.

I think we will see WEIGHT restrictions enforced more and more. Fortunately my packing prowess is evolving along with the airlines' requirements!

I have been asked to put my Vera Bradley carryon bag in the (as DH called it, the girdle). It folded itself into the carrier (on the way out, good thing they didn't check on the way back!). The gate agent said, hmm go ahead & take it

I just brought a new carry on. It is 21 inches. My other one was 18 inches. So now I can fit more in.

Being we are not flying we might each bring two carry ons. Like I stated before, it is a weight issue. I nor DH want to lift heavy luggage. This size and smaller we can handle very easily.

What size do you use?

For our last few (non-cruise) trips, my husband and I have been taking a 22" rolling bag and checking it (either because we have liquids we want to bring or because we have a long layover and don't want to deal with the suitcase in the airport/lounge) Then on the plane we have a backpack (and I have a small crossbody purse) Worked great a couple weeks ago for London - even in the winter! We were able to easily get to our apartment from the airport using the subway. And then up 3 NARROW flights of stairs to the apartment we rented.

Our next cruise is Asia and will be LONG. 10 day cruise with extra days on each end. (including travel, I think we're at 20 days? Longest we've done) No formal nights, and there will be laundry available (complimentary) on the cruise. So we're thinking about our packing strategy for that trip. My husband has historically been the overpacker among the two of us (while I'm the hoarder at home:rolleyes:) but he has been so happy on the last few trips where I've "forced" him to think, rethink, and pack fewer things that he's willing to continue to do this. It makes it SO much easier for us to get around.

Anyway, I think we'll do 22" checked bags, backpack carry-on the planes (I might bring a tote instead of a backpack, though I really prefer a backpack for travel) and maybe one 19" rolling duffel on the plane to share so we can have an extra change of clothing (we can fit toiletries and some clothing in our backpacks -which we do!) Still easy enough to get around the public transport if that's what we decide to do... (but taxis in Singapore are a LOT cheaper than they are in London;))

Edited by Hoyaheel

What size do you use?

Our new bags are here: http://www.ebags.com/product/it-luggage/worlds-lightest-it-0-1-second-generation-22-2-wheeled-carry-on/272848?productid=10300417&rlid=DETAIL_AI

in the blue and the red. They are the 45" total (22" x 14" x 8.7" with hardware), and we've used them on domestic and international flights since last spring, despite reports that some international carriers have even smaller size requirements.

We also own hard-shell carry-on "spinners" that I was loving, before rumors of weight-enforcement got me looking for a truly LIGHT carryon. LIKE THE ONES HERE. I believe they are 20" PLUS hardware. The IT soft 2-wheel bags are 3.5lb compared to the "superlight" spinners at 7.1lb -- that's 3.5lbs more of stuff I can take, per bag!

When weight is taken into consideration, packing cubes and/or zippy big-bags need to be thought of as organizational and not for "getting more in" as it's quite easy for bags to go over-weight.

We use average-sized daypacks as our personal items. DH's has a padded back sleeve for his ultrabook. I'm thinking that airlines will be looking to regulate "personal items" more soon (some may already be), so I'm mentally working on downsizing even more the things I routinely take!

P.S.

Here's a funny one -- on our way home from a land-only tour of Morocco we changed planes and maybe airlines (?) in Rome. Because we had only carry-on, we had not had to go via some checkpoint or other, so the boarding desk called a specialized official, who grilled us on why we had no checked luggage on an international flight!

On second thought, maybe it's not funny. Do not joke with the Security person...

Our new bags are here: http://www.ebags.com/product/it-luggage/worlds-lightest-it-0-1-second-generation-22-2-wheeled-carry-on/272848?productid=10300417&rlid=DETAIL_AI

in the blue and the red. They are the 45" total (22" x 14" x 8.7" with hardware), and we've used them on domestic and international flights since last spring, despite reports that some international carriers have even smaller size requirements.

.............!

DD's used that bag flying several times on RyanAir with no problems. It was too heavy for BelleAir which has an even lower limit than Ryan Air.

DD's used that bag flying several times on RyanAir with no problems. It was too heavy for BelleAir which has an even lower limit than Ryan Air.

Hi Sadie my almost-neighbor!

We actually own two SMALLER bags I bought to be our carryons when we were still checking one 26" pullman between us. They look scarcely bigger than little kids 'play' suitcases! I bought them on eBay because the bottom support pulls off and stores inside making the two of them fit (flat) in any larger suitcase for storage!

We used them once as our sole suitcases (with "personal item" daypacks) for a land trip to Ecuador and the Galapagos. There was no room in the suitcases for a second pair of shoes; what was on our feet was it... and as I walked out of the airport in Quito, the heel fell off one of my Timberland fashion booties! The travel gods smiled and put a shopping mall 1/4 mile from our hotel and gave us the afternoon "at leisure" for going there to get me a pair of cross-trainers!

-- Elizabeth in Santa Ana

Edited by crystalspin

• 1 month later...

We have always been carry-on & personal item only. It doesn't matter whether I am on safari in Africa, touring around India, China, or anywhere else.

We learned long ago that "Less is More" freedom. It gives you able to share taxis, get off the ship without waiting, less time waiting around airports & less worry about if luggage will make it to where ever if checked.

This TA and weeks after will be our longest and maybe most extreme weather opposites from Houston to Iceland.

I just packed for my upcoming cruise in a carry on and small backpack, and I still know that I packed too much stuff!! I will check the suitcase on the way to Florida because of liquids limits and not wanting to haul it around during a 3+ hour layover in Atlanta, but will probably carry it on on the way home (after using up sunscreen/bug spray or giving the leftovers to my Mom) to save time at the airports on both ends. Flying nonstop on the way home, so much easier!

Just watched a video by a lady that has traveled the world.

She uses the 2-2-6 rule.

2 pair shoes

2 pants

6 shirts

That's basically what I do and it works well. I actually don't have a lot of clothes so it isn't that big of a deal to figure out what to take