Excursion Cancellation and Refund

UM-Fan

Our family will be going on a 2016 Alaska cruise aboard the Westerdam. Our son wants to do the the Salmon fishing excursion, but he is also in the military and possibly might be called up for active duty before we leave and might miss the trip completely. If I book and pay the excursion for him now, will I be able to get a full refund if it turns out he won't be with us on the trip?

We had to cancel our most recent cruise on embarkation day, because I got sick. The TA canceled our cruise, and we got prompt refund for shore excursions and port charges.

For those that were asking, we were already in the embarkation city, and had one hotel stay between getting off one ship and getting on the next.

We had to cancel a couple of cruises -- 24 hours -- before we were to board the ship.

All our excursions, purchases for the cabin and pre-booked specialty dinners were credited back to our credit card.

Just make certain that the fishing trip he wants to do is not linked to any other person's excursion -- that it is solely in his name.

Can I ask what the approximate date of the Salmon fishing excursion?

Reason is, that I went salmon fishing out of Skagway in June, and was told I was too early for salmon. We ended up just catching a couple of sea trout, but it was still fun.

I understand that August is a good month for salmon, but it depends how far north you are. June would have been a good month if I was fishing near Vancouver. Maybe June would have been ok in Ketchikan.

Just giving you a heads-up so your son won't be disappointed if there are no salmon at the time of the excursion.

• 9 months later...
We had to cancel a couple of cruises -- 24 hours -- before we were to board the ship.

All our excursions, purchases for the cabin and pre-booked specialty dinners were credited back to our credit card.

Just make certain that the fishing trip he wants to do is not linked to any other person's excursion -- that it is solely in his name.

KK (or anyone else that may know the answer): how long did it take for the refund to be credited back to your credit card for the pre-booked excursions? We've sadly had to cancel our Zuiderdam Canal cruise for this winter and while we've already received our deposit refund, the two excursions we booked still have not refunded (although it's only been four days since the cancellation).

Does refund apply if cancelled after you board. Thanks.

Yes, if you cancel by the deadline. There is normally a 10% penalty. It's all listed on your shore excursion tickets and in the shore excursion booklet. If you miss the deadline on board (which is usually pretty fair) it's totally non refundable.

KK (or anyone else that may know the answer): how long did it take for the refund to be credited back to your credit card for the pre-booked excursions? We've sadly had to cancel our Zuiderdam Canal cruise for this winter and while we've already received our deposit refund, the two excursions we booked still have not refunded (although it's only been four days since the cancellation).

I normally find the excursions are refunded very quickly. I would say 3-4 days ( have to allow time for the credit cards). I have never figured out why credit cards can process purchases so quickly and take twice as long to process credits ;)

Seriously, if it isn't showing in say, 7 business days I would call, email, whatever. The shore excursions are normally cancelled the same time as your booking.

Yes, if you cancel by the deadline. There is normally a 10% penalty. It's all listed on your shore excursion tickets and in the shore excursion booklet. If you miss the deadline on board (which is usually pretty fair) it's totally non refundable.

I normally find the excursions are refunded very quickly. I would say 3-4 days ( have to allow time for the credit cards). I have never figured out why credit cards can process purchases so quickly and take twice as long to process credits ;)

Seriously, if it isn't showing in say, 7 business days I would call, email, whatever. The shore excursions are normally cancelled the same time as your booking.

Thank you Jacqui, I appreciate the quick answer. I was going to give it a week (10 days max) and then call HAL Shore Excursions and ask. Or maybe just ask my TA to do that leg work. ;)

Thank you Jacqui, I appreciate the quick answer. I was going to give it a week (10 days max) and then call HAL Shore Excursions and ask. Or maybe just ask my TA to do that leg work. ;)

You are most welcome. I once found a mariner deal and had to be rebooked. I I didn't realize that would cancel all my shore excursions. I didn't receive an email but found it on my credit card statement.

I think 7 business days should do it. Check your credit card and if it isn't there, you can lean on your TA, email HAL on the contact info or contact your credit card company.

My experience has been that HAL has been prompt when I cancel a booking.

You are most welcome. I once found a mariner deal and had to be rebooked. I I didn't realize that would cancel all my shore excursions. I didn't receive an email but found it on my credit card statement.

I think 7 business days should do it. Check your credit card and if it isn't there, you can lean on your TA, email HAL on the contact info or contact your credit card company.

My experience has been that HAL has been prompt when I cancel a booking.

Thanks again for the additional info. HAL was very prompt in sending the deposit refund so I do agree with you on that. Hopefully the excursion refunds will appear before I have to do anything by way of follow up. :)

Hi All,

Just coincidentally I received emails from HAL this morning (one for each excursion) stating that since our reservation had been cancelled, they were also cancelling our excursions and would refund the charges to the original credit card I paid with. We still have no actual refunds but at least they've acknowledged it and are working the refunds - we will probably seem them on our account within a few more business days. This kind of makes me wonder if the proper way to handle this would have been for me to cancel the excursions then subsequently ask our TA to cancel the cruise reservation? Just trying to think of what would have made the process easier for HAL.

Edited by joepeka

This kind of makes me wonder if the proper way to handle this would have been for me to cancel the excursions then subsequently ask our TA to cancel the cruise reservation? Just trying to think of what would have made the process easier for HAL.

This is being handled by 2 departments so the order does not really make any difference for HAL. Nice that reservations started the excursion cancellation process. Happens the same way when HAL drops a port.

We had credit on our account within a week.

We had credit on our account within a week.

Hi Sail, I see the credit posted to our card account this morning so all refunds are now complete. Less than a week (including a weekend) for the refunds so I certainly am content with the turnaround time. :)

Hi Sail, I see the credit posted to our card account this morning so all refunds are now complete. Less than a week (including a weekend) for the refunds so I certainly am content with the turnaround time. :)

Hi Joe

eXCELLENT. That is good news. Thank you for sharing with us how promptly HAL handled it. :)

Edited by sail7seas

Hi All,

Just coincidentally I received emails from HAL this morning (one for each excursion) stating that since our reservation had been cancelled, they were also cancelling our excursions and would refund the charges to the original credit card I paid with. We still have no actual refunds but at least they've acknowledged it and are working the refunds - we will probably seem them on our account within a few more business days. This kind of makes me wonder if the proper way to handle this would have been for me to cancel the excursions then subsequently ask our TA to cancel the cruise reservation? Just trying to think of what would have made the process easier for HAL.

We had to cancel a couple of cruises -- last minute -- and everything was automatically cancelled -- excursions, specialty dinners, alcohol for the cabin.

Credits showed up on my credit card within a few days.