swollen ankles

texast518

The dr told me there really isn't anything you can do. Because if you think about it you are eating salt, bathing in salt, and breathing salt in the air. She could try staying away from salty foods.

There are a lot of posts about this here, but over on the Cruise Fashion/Beauty forum, there's a very informative post about it with some strategies that many have found to very effective in minimizing or eliminating "cruise swelling". Definitely check it out.

My wife always had same problem until recently. She tried a three prong approach.

1) don't drink ship water, buy their bottle water

2) take water pills as prescribed by her doc

3) twice daily massage of her calves (done by me)

Result -- on a 21-day B2B she experience ZERO swelling. She made no dietary changes. I'm not sure which one of these worked or not, but this will be our routine for all future cruises.

It might be in the food, true. But most people eat far more food on a cruise than at home. I think if one is an avid water drinker, that's a solution. I'm sure people drink a lot more at home. Diuretics work, but it messes up the blood chemicals causing potassium loss. No way would I shift to a salt free diet on board because you'll only put salt back via a shaker.

The type of edema most people experience on cruises is related to fluid retention and while there may be a bit more salt in the cooking than one is used to, it is more likely that the skin is absorbing more salt from the air and the water (salt water pools and swimming off beaches). Combine this the gravity affects on blood circulation from aging and with any medication that has a side effect of fluid retention and you'll get swelling. Leg elevation or massages may not necessarily be an effective treatment; likewise a salt free diet. But drinking water may help. There's no salt in the ship drinking water so whether you spend extra fro bottled water or just use the drinking fountains. If your kidneys are working properly you'll find the trade off for less swollen ankles is more trips "down the hall".

For most people, switching from the ship's water to bottled water seems to help. Why that is, I don't know. It could be some additive or chlorine or mineral or whatever in the ship's water makes some people swell. It could be that carrying bottled water around makes them drink more water and flushes their system. I did notice when I drank a lot of ship water, I would see ankle swelling very soon after (and I'm young and fit), so I'll be trying to stick only bottled this time around to see.

Here is a very informative thread on the subject. Many have found either drinking bottled water, or dry brushing seems to work.

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=1637335

I have the brush but have not had a chance to use it on a cruise yet. We try to stick with bottled water and seems to help some, but not as much on the warmer cruises.

Here is a very informative thread on the subject. Many have found either drinking bottled water, or dry brushing seems to work.

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=1637335

I have the brush but have not had a chance to use it on a cruise yet. We try to stick with bottled water and seems to help some, but not as much on the warmer cruises.

Problem is coffee, tea, lemonade all ship water. Can get bottled water in MDR. Tom

ALL cruises. Did I imply just Carnival? Next cruise is 21 days on Triumph.

I'd order bottled water from Carnival ($2.99 for a case of 12) and stick to that as much as possible, as well as do the dry brushing (mentioned on the linked thread) to help with lymphatic drainage. Let us know if it helps!

The issue has nothing at all to do with the water. It has to do with the fact that you are on your feet a lot more and the body is putting fluid into the tissues to help them heal from the abuse that they are taking all of a sudden. Best way to combat it is to drink a lot more water and get a lot more walking in before you leave.

The issue has nothing at all to do with the water. It has to do with the fact that you are on your feet a lot more and the body is putting fluid into the tissues to help them heal from the abuse that they are taking all of a sudden. Best way to combat it is to drink a lot more water and get a lot more walking in before you leave.

Agree to disagree :) For so many people on these boards, avoiding ship water and drinking bottled instead prevented the problem entirely. I'm sure there are other causes and other solutions, but for a lot of people, something about the water seems to be at play.

Here's my comment: I have never gotten swollen ankles on any of our cruises and I drink the water, iced tea, and coffee. I, personally, cannot fault the drinking water. My husband's ankles swell on every cruise, and we pinned it down to the salt intake: he loves bacon and eats it every single morning on the cruise, along with corned beef hash. I know, I know... but he loves it. One cruise his ankles got quite bad, and I suggested he drop the daily bacon. After he did, it seemed to help.

Heat and humidity, according to my doctor, are major factors in swollen ankles, feet, and hands.

LuLu

I agree with the doc! For years when I vacationed in Florida (July) I would have swollen ankles.

Last year I moved to Clearwater and during the summer months my ankles are swollen a lot. Same situation when I am cruising.

Water intake does help, and I try to elevate my legs at night.

It was on the Carnival board.

Is this serious? Because an issue was asked on a specific cruise line board (because that person happens to be going on a cruise on that line in a few weeks) that you somehow wonder if this is an issue exclusive to that line? People also discuss ports of call and tipping on that board, do no other lines go to ports of call or have tipping on them?