The Grand to Hawaii and back

kwahl1

Going to Hawaii. How were the sea those first four sea days to the islands? With El Nino we are having wondering if it will smooth out and warm up a bit on the way over.

We want to leave the coats in the car at embarkation, and just take panchos for the cruise and island hopping. Maybe a hoodie or sweater. OK

Could care less about Mexico, but we'll go where ever the ship goes, I guess.

I did the Grand, last March, and I have done three RT to Hawaii cruises, from LA. I have also done three land vacations in Hawaii.

Take the pancho, sweater, and hoodie that you mentioned.

As Colo Cruiser mentioned, it can be cool the first two days out. Of course that can then include the last two days back.

Also, in the islands, it can rain. If it rains, it can feel chilly. If you are out and get wet, it really can feel chilly. It is then nice to have a dry sweater or hoodie to change into later.

The sweater or hoodie are also nice for Movies Under The Stars.

Enjoy Hawaii!

Aloha:)

Edited by Cruisin'Rabbit

Usually cool the first couple days. Its been ruff waters and smooth as glass. Depends on weather systems. Had strong winds one trip for 3 days crossing on the way back it was smooth sailing. You never can predict what its going to be like.

Ditto, you will require a sweatshirt or sweater and a rain jacket. The first few days are normally not pool days and the seas can be choppy. If you decide to take a tour in Maui to Haleakala, you will require a sweater or jacket. It's chilly at 10,000 feet. Last year we were in Hilo, it was also cool there. The cool air flowed down from Mauna Loa and Mauna Kea which were both snow covered.

We did this cruise at the end of October 2015 and both ways the sea was really rough. I didn't mind, but it would have been really hard on people with sensitivity to seasickness.

That's why I get the patch from my doctor. I get carsick on winding roads if I'm not the driver. I definitely get deathly seasick. With the patch I've weathered some really rough weather where many people retired to their cabins feeling ill. I've never had a bit of trouble. Some people don't like the patch but it's what allows me to cruise. I don't leave home without it. :)

• 2 weeks later...

the first part of the cruise heading out of the Golden Gate, could be quite bumpy

and the reverse direction. The Patch really is the easiest,but you need an RX. My wife's caregiver is really excited,as she has never really travelled before. I am working on the shore excursions that are handicapped equipped. l am planning to bring my own wine aboard,but have not figured out how many bottles to bring.

You wine experts,will email me back your suggestions, l have requested a shared table 6-8 people. As per what to wear "only the best" will be accepted.:cool:

I did the Star from SF to Hawaii December 2014 and it was cool the first 2-3 days and last 2-3 days. However, I get cold easily and always have a light sweater, even at dinner in Hawaii (Because of AC in the MDR).

I love this itinerary!! Probably my favorite of all my cruises, and we've done many Caribbean, Mexico, West Coast cruises.

Going to Hawaii. How were the sea those first four sea days to the islands? With El Nino we are having wondering if it will smooth out and warm up a bit on the way over.

We want to leave the coats in the car at embarkation, and just take panchos for the cruise and island hopping. Maybe a hoodie or sweater. OK

Could care less about Mexico, but we'll go where ever the ship goes, I guess.

Oh and I agree, Ensenada is nothing exciting. In fact, not sure I would get off in the future. It's nicer to have an empty cruise ship to play in.

We've done this cruise 3 times, doing it again in April on Ruby. As many have stated cool to chilly on first two days out and last two days back and seas are usually rough. Dry season in Hawaii starts in April so you can expect rain on Jan, Feb, March cruises, although in HI it rains often anyway. Of the three HI cruises we have made we have missed Lahaina 2 out of 3 times, hoping we make it in April.

Elua is a must for these cruises in my opinion.

We did this cruise at the end of October 2015 and both ways the sea was really rough. I didn't mind, but it would have been really hard on people with sensitivity to seasickness.

I would be interested in your experience going at the end of October since that is when we are going. Did you write any kind of trip report that I can read?