Carnival rising prices

Jimmy Geegitz

So you can go on MSC for the first time and get frequent cruiser perks, because of your loyalty to Carnival? Interesting. Never heard of anything like that

Sent from my SCH-I435 using Tapatalk

It is something they announced about 3 months ago. You send in something with your loyalty level on it and they give you the equal level in their program.

Ok so y'all had me thinking about my up coming cruise could of I got it cheaper? So I did a mock booking on ncl and you pay more for the promo free???? I put free drinks in mine and it was $174 more them if I left the free drinks off.. So I guess nothing is really free.

True as with most things in life.

Most importantly, I hope your health improves soon. In regards to pricing and Carnival I think you hit the nail on the head.

Thank you. I keep praying the CT Scan shows enough healing to get the doctors ok and calm DH's fears of not being near a hospital. My hope keeps me checking the prices and tracking them to see what they do. I've never really tracked them like this (6 months now) and it was interesting to watch the changes in the different ships. I keep reading how people say the deals on the other lines are out there if you do the research, but that research is subjective on what you like about cruising...those are the things that add cost to the bottom line. Some of us don't need much more than a cruise ship with great service and good food. We've always gotten that on Carnival plus. I usually do a lot of research before booking and we are not loyal to any line. Timing, itinerary, embarkation port, and who we are sailing with usually get a ship on our list. Age, size, and price are factors that usually get them knocked off when comparing the ones on our list to each other. I have noticed prices going up in my research this time....but it was across the board on all the lines we were looking at, especially since the packages being offered are of little value to us. I'd rather just have OBC and a cheaper price.

Edited by Warm Breezes

Ok so y'all had me thinking about my up coming cruise could of I got it cheaper? So I did a mock booking on ncl and you pay more for the promo free???? I put free drinks in mine and it was $174 more them if I left the free drinks off.. So I guess nothing is really free.

What are Promotional Service Charges?

Promotional services charges are the gratuities for onboard crew that are part of the Ultimate Beverage and Ultimate Dining Package. If you select one of those choices, a promotional service charge will be added to your final amount due.

The $174 that you pay more for the promotional service fee, is the 18% gratuity fee on the drink package. If you were to purchase the drink package from Carnival you would pay $50 a day plus 18% gratuity. The amount varies by the number of days and it is for both people in the cabin.

So the $174 is tips on your drink package. For 2 that is not bad considering you can drink all you want.

Edited by ready2cruzagain

I thought that was for your first cruise only with MSC?

I do not remember that being the case, but I am not sure. I know they had promised a quick turnaround and some I know who did it still have not heard back. MSC has grown dramatically. Interesting story actually.

I just love it when people say others don't do their research....

Well, thats being clearly inferred over and over here. In fact, one poster in particular is even bragging that he won't do any looking around.

So, no, its not "people saying it" about others, the other are saying themselves.

I am a big fan of Carnival. Looking to book a cruise for Feb2017. But I have found the comparable prices across the different cruise lines Carnivals prices have been higher for the most part. Was comparing Vista balcony to an ocean view Balcony on RCI Harmony of the Seas both lines newest ship. And the Harmony was lower by several hundred dollars. Checked Celebrity and for the same price they included drink package for 2 plus a $300 on board credit. WOW no brainier there. I love Carnival but money talks. Now we just have to decide between Harmony of the Seas and Celebrity Reflection. No drink package on RCI but it does have $250 on board credit. Of Vista does have $125 OBC. But that still is weak compared to the others. We got a better deal on our Princess cruise in October too. Plus a $400 OBC. Are people not shopping around? Carnival has become outrageous price wise. Not sure when we will sail again after our April cruise. Too bad too we just turned platinum.

I am in the same boat as you, just became Platinum and loved the check in but I think it is time to look else where. I told my husband we need Carnival to have another crisis at sea to lower prices. (I said this in jest, I do not really want people to be inconvenienced like that. But we got some great deals in 2014.)

I am disappointed in the entertainment quality on CCL also and I just don't feel like paying more for less. So not sure what I am going to do but price is the key for me. After over 20 cruises, where the ship is going doesn't matter so much, going more often is my draw now that we are retired!

Good luck Florida Graham. You will need it

I totally disagree.

Here is what I am talking about:

Nov. 26, 2016

NCL Epic 2010 ship major refurbishment Oct. 2015

7 days

Cruise Rate for 2 inside Deck 14 (one deck below lido)

$1038.00

244.02 Taxes, fees

173.88 Gratuities for Ultimate Drink Package

$1455.90 Total Cruise Charge

with a $100 OBC and Free Drink Package

Dec. 10, 2016

Carnival Sunshine 1996 Ship major refurbishment 2012

7 days

Cruise Rate for 2 inside Deck 8 (one deck below lido)

$1,148.00

248.12 Taxes, fees

$1,396.12 Total Cruise Charge

with $50 OBC no drink package

So, the NCL Epic is $59 more but it has $50 more in obc and the Ultimate Drink Package.

So, for those that are saying Carnival is always cheaper, there are hidden costs, I won't even look cause you can't find a better price than Carnival>:confused::confused::confused:

Well, thats being clearly inferred over and over here. In fact, one poster in particular is even bragging that he won't do any looking around.

So, no, its not "people saying it" about others, the other are saying themselves.

If they don't look around it is because they know exactly what they want out of their vacation so that is what they want to spend their money on. I generally have an idea what I want and narrow down it down by doing research, creating a list of ships that fit my wants and then research some more to pick the one I want. Like I said that "research" is subjective based on what you like and want out of your vacation and if your wants are a particular ship or cruise line because that is what you enjoy and are comfortable with on your vacation, or you choose ships that are based out of a port close to you or where you will be then your "research" will be limited to those ships or cruise line.

For our first cruise my research was just limited to Disney Wonder because we wanted a Disney Land/Cruise vacation with our young children and friends with the Disney experience as the focus and this us offered us a short cruise option that allowed us to see if we liked cruising. My research when we sailed on NCL Epic was limited to just 2 ships (NCL Epic and RCCL Oasis) from the start based on what we wanted out of that cruise. It doesn't mean people don't do their research, it just means they narrowed down the list before they started their research to exactly what they wanted out of their vacation. Sometimes that may even mean you want a specific ship or cruise line. If your going to spend that kind of money on a vacation, you might as well narrow your choices down to the ones that match what you want out of that vacation.

I totally disagree.

Nov. 26, 2016

7 days

$1038.00

244.02 Taxes, fees

Dec. 10, 2016

7 days

$1,148.00

248.12 Taxes, fees

So, the NCL Epic is $59 more but it has $50 more in obc and the Ultimate Drink Package.

So, for those that are saying Carnival is always cheaper, there are hidden costs, I won't even look cause you can't find a better price than Carnival>:confused::confused::confused:

OOPS that should read Dec. 3 2016 not Dec. 10th on the Sunshine...the 10th is an 8 day cruise...I made a mistake.

I agree, Carnival's prices are going up. We actually booked Royal Caribbean on the Liberty of the Seas out of Galveston because it was $300 cheaper than Carnival and it included a $200 OBC. We are looking forward to trying something different. Carnival has always been cheaper for us but not this time!

I agree that the prices have gone up on Carnival but the prices seem to have gone up on all the cruise lines! You guys are talking about the price being lower on celebrity and Royal Caribbean but I can't find any lower price. I just checked celebrities site for cruises to the Caribbean to compare since I am going to the Caribbean on a Carnival ship in February and there was not a single cruise that I could travel on solo for less than $2,100. There was a time when I could go on a Carnival cruise solo for less than $600 but even now I can travel solo on Carnival for less than $1,000. So while the prices have increased they are still lower. The only cruise line that seems to have lower prices is Norwegian. I really don't like Norwegian as I found their staff to be rude on past cruises and they had very little karaoke available and I love to sing. If you find a seven day cruise on another cruise line other than Norwegian leaving out of Galveston or Houston that is less than 1000 traveling solo let me know. Bottom line if you checkout cruise plum solo rates and scan through all the different cruise lines the only cruise lines you will find for $110 or less per day are on Norwegian or Carnival.

Edited by Jana60

I totally disagree.

Nov. 26, 2016

7 days

$1038.00

244.02 Taxes, fees

Dec. 10, 2016

7 days

$1,148.00

248.12 Taxes, fees

Factors that would influence me on this decision. We don't drink more than 5 drinks total together on a cruise so a drink package is not worth even the gratuities for us. The itinerary would have us leaning towards CCL Sunshine. We have sailed both CCL Destiny and NCL Epic before both in inside rooms. Give me CCL's inside rooms over Epics any day. Plus I would like to see the changes made from the Destiny ship. The only thing that would have me leaning towards NCL is the entertainment, having said that DH did not like the size of Epic at all so he would push for CCL. If we were to make the choice between these 2 it would be CCL Sunshine. That is why I say research is subjective based on what you would want out of that vacation.

Edited by Warm Breezes

Yes prices have gone up all over. And besides, when you use gift cards purchased at a discount on a Carnival booking, that's a 10% savings on not only your booking but excursions and onboard spending if you use them for that. No other line offers a way to buy gift cards discounted that can then be used for almost every expense associated with your trip. For me that's a huge plus.

No Carnival is not always the cheapest. Just most of the time. At least for me looking in the summer. Off season yes you can find some decent deals. It is what it is.

And a person doesn't have to shop around if they don't want to.

Yes prices have gone up all over. And besides, when you use gift cards purchased at a discount on a Carnival booking, that's a 10% savings on not only your booking but excursions and onboard spending if you use them for that. No other line offers a way to buy gift cards discounted that can then be used for almost every expense associated with your trip. For me that's a huge plus.

Royal Caribbean and Celebrity also have the discounted gift cards. Can't you use them the same way as Carnival?

Royal Caribbean and Celebrity also have the discounted gift cards. Can't you use them the same way as Carnival?

I don't know about Celebrity. I do know that Royal sells gift certificates that have about 14 bullets of restrictions on them. If either sells gift cards discounted with the same level of usefulness as Carnival, then that's news to me. In a good way!

I don't know about Celebrity. I do know that Royal sells gift certificates that have about 14 bullets of restrictions on them. If either sells gift cards discounted with the same level of usefulness as Carnival, then that's news to me. In a good way!

Gift cards through Citi Easy Deals for RC and Celebrity - I just looked more closely and realize that they are not in fact gift cards like Carnival but ones that must be redeemed through them directly. Good catch. Well there goes my plan for my next Celebrity cruise since they can't be used for onboard accounts. I always book direct now anyway so that part isn't that bad I guess. But Celebrity caps you at $500 pp/$1000 per room. RC no cap. Only good for new bookings on both.

That is very deceiving in the fact that it states "Gift Card" and then in the description is says "Certificate".

Edited by firemanbobswife

I totally disagree.

Nov. 26, 2016

7 days

$1038.00

244.02 Taxes, fees

Dec. 10, 2016

7 days

$1,148.00

248.12 Taxes, fees

So Carnival is still cheaper and it's not NCL. I'd be sold on the Carnival cruise (especially having sailed the Epic before.....ugh).

So Carnival is still cheaper and it's not NCL. I'd be sold on the Carnival cruise (especially having sailed the Epic before.....ugh).

:rolleyes:Sure if you want to throw out the drink package then it is cheaper by $9. You can't just throw out park of the package and say Carnival is cheaper.

But if you throw out the drink then NCL's rate goes down by $173.88 since that is gratuities and if you chose not to take the drink package then you wouldn't pay the drink gratuities. Then NCL would be $164.19 cheaper than Carnival.

Oh and you can book without any of the packages if you don't want them. Which if you did that then NCL is still cheapest.

:rolleyes:Sure if you want to throw out the drink package then it is cheaper by $9. You can't just throw out park of the package and say Carnival is cheaper.

But if you throw out the drink then NCL's rate goes down by $173.88 since that is gratuities and if you chose not to take the drink package then you wouldn't pay the drink gratuities. Then NCL would be $164.19 cheaper than Carnival.

Oh and you can book without any of the packages if you don't want them. Which if you did that then NCL is still cheapest.

Considering I don't drink and the two bottles of wine I can carry aboard the Carnival ship for free (NCL would charge you $15 a bottle corkage fee just to take them on board) would take care of my wife for the week, the drink package means absolutely nothing to me. So Carnival is cheaper and the ship is better than the NCL ship so it's a no-brainer to pick Carnival. If someone is a slush that can't live without an alcohol package and can live with NCL's policies then they might find the NCL cruise enjoyable but I wouldn't (and it being the Epic, I don't think they could pay me to sail that ship again).

Edited by Who Cares?