Carnival rising prices

Jimmy Geegitz

Our liberty feb 2017 just dropped by $65. So i don't know where you see they are skyrocketing

Sent from my 9020A using Tapatalk

It's all about supply and demand. If the ships are filling up you will see rising prices. If they are slow in filling up you will see a drop. I saw that with watching prices for the ships we have been looking at. The ones out of NY jumped up higher and faster than the rest and so we ended up ruling them out early on. I did see me more ups and downs with the Carnival ships while the other lines were almost always going up. Plus look at the timing. You are over a year out while Jimmy is close to just 3 month out so I would expect his ship to be filling up.

Edited by Warm Breezes

Our liberty feb 2017 just dropped by $65. So i don't know where you see they are skyrocketing

Price drops are few and far between these days. Just look at this board. Very few threads about price drops. You definitely got lucky and congrats. Even last year, we enjoyed a few healthy drops on our Sunshine cruise before it started skyrocketing about 6 months out. Anyone who booked that trip last minute most definitely paid well over early birds. This year, my Magic sailing hasn't dropped one penny. The 4js we reserved are $150 more per cabin now. I'm not complaining. Just pointing out that price drops are not flowing like they once did. Neither are the sales/promos.

All good news for Carnival and me too since the more I cruise the earlier I book.

Sent from my SCH-I435 using Tapatalk

Price drops are few and far between these days. Just look at this board. Very few threads about price drops. You definitely got lucky and congrats. Even last year, we enjoyed a few healthy drops on our Sunshine cruise before it started skyrocketing about 6 months out. Anyone who booked that trip last minute most definitely paid well over early birds. This year, my Magic sailing hasn't dropped one penny. The 4js we reserved are $150 more per cabin now. I'm not complaining. Just pointing out that price drops are not flowing like they once did. Neither are the sales/promos.

All good news for Carnival and me too since the more I cruise the earlier I book.

It's bad news to me since we can't book until I get doctors ok which could be just 2 months out. Having said that the ship we have narrowed it down to sailing in May and have been watching since July has only varied in price up and down during the last 6 months by less than $40 total for 4 people in 2 rooms every time I checked (almost weekly) and there seems to be plenty of rooms to choose from yet. It is currently $20 less than when I first started checking ($5 per person)...all the other ships went up some by as much as $600 total so I just dropped them off my list to save my research time.

Edited by Warm Breezes

Our Sunshine cruise just skyrocketed in price. Glad I booked early. Regular balconies are now $350 more than what we paid for an AFT balcony.

My March 2016 Valor cruise has gone from $624 for my 4J cabin to $864 for a 4A so I'd say they've gone up just a wee bit. My 2017 Vista cruise has only increased by $50 so not much there.

It's bad news to me since we can't book until I get doctors ok which could be just 2 months out. Having said that the ship we have narrowed it down to sailing in May and have been watching since July has only varied in price up and down during the last 6 months by less than $40 total for 4 people in 2 rooms every time I checked (almost weekly) and there seems to be plenty of rooms to choose from yet. It is currently $20 less than when I first started checking ($5 per person)...all the other ships went up some by as much as $600 total so I just dropped them off my list to save my research time.

I just went in and did a check on all the ships we were originally looking at and compared price now to July 28 when I first started tracking. 1 ship, the one still left on our list, CCL Dream went down by $184 total (including OBC changes) for 2 inside rooms for 2 people each. This ship was actually the third lowest in pricing when we started looking on a pp/pd basis. It is now the lowest on pp/pd basis and that is including if we were to use our FCC we have for NCL on this cruise. All the other ships went up. The 2 other CCL ships by $187 and $317, the RCCL ship by $697 and the 2 NCL ships by $650 and $1068. All these ships where close to the same price range (within the budget we had set) when I started looking even though they have different sizes, itineraries, and embarkation ports (so you can't really call them apples to apples which is why I a looking at price changes and not the actual prices for this thread). They all fit into our time period available, met our budget, and had itineraries or shipboard amenities we were interested in which put them on our list. The one CCL ship that went up by $187 was a 6 day cruise while the rest were 7 day but had a port that DD wanted to go to. We were comparing inside rooms. We may choose to upgrade when we actually book to an inside and balcony but right now it is the insides we are comparing.

We actually have had three price drops on our Vista mad cruise over the last three weeks which was totally unexpected.

Considering I don't drink and the two bottles of wine I can carry aboard the Carnival ship for free (NCL would charge you $15 a bottle corkage fee just to take them on board) would take care of my wife for the week, the drink package means absolutely nothing to me. So Carnival is cheaper and the ship is better than the NCL ship so it's a no-brainer to pick Carnival. If someone is a slush that can't live without an alcohol package and can live with NCL's policies then they might find the NCL cruise enjoyable but I wouldn't (and it being the Epic, I don't think they could pay me to sail that ship again).

Pay attention

Since you do not want the drink package then you would book under the regular rate.

Here are the prices with NO drink package.

Nov. 26, 2016

NCL Epic 2010 ship major refurbishment Oct. 2015

7 days

Cruise Rate for 2 inside Deck 14 (one deck below lido)

$998.00

244.02 Taxes, fees

$1242.02 Total Cruise Charge

with a $50 OBC

Dec. 10, 2016

Carnival Sunshine 1996 Ship major refurbishment 2012

7 days

Cruise Rate for 2 inside Deck 8 (one deck below lido)

$1,148.00

248.12 Taxes, fees

$1,396.12 Total Cruise Charge

with $50 OBC no drink package

NCL is $154.10 Cheaper, add your wife's $30 wine carry on and STILL cheaper.

Guess Carnival is not going to be the Walmart of the seas anymore. Looks like RCI, NCL and celebrity are going to compete for that title. Now what are all the Carnival haters going to say. O yea, Carnival is too expensive. I'm going to leave and start cruising with RCI and NCL. O, guess we're back to where we were when Carnival was considered the Walmart of the seas, people leaving Carnival for another cruise line. Well one thing is obvious, Carnival is doing pretty well, when they still sail full after they have raised their prices.

Our Magic cruise for December has increased $90 per person in under a month......

Definitely all supply and demand. I'm still a little surprised that some of these May cruises are holding out this long without price drops, especially since they aren't filling up.

Pay attention

Since you do not want the drink package then you would book under the regular rate.

Here are the prices with NO drink package.

Nov. 26, 2016

NCL Epic 2010 ship major refurbishment Oct. 2015

7 days

Cruise Rate for 2 inside Deck 14 (one deck below lido)

$998.00

244.02 Taxes, fees

$1242.02 Total Cruise Charge

with a $50 OBC

Dec. 10, 2016

Carnival Sunshine 1996 Ship major refurbishment 2012

7 days

Cruise Rate for 2 inside Deck 8 (one deck below lido)

$1,148.00

248.12 Taxes, fees

$1,396.12 Total Cruise Charge

with $50 OBC no drink package

NCL is $154.10 Cheaper, add your wife's $30 wine carry on and STILL cheaper.

But CCL Sunshine has a better itinerary and better rooms (to us) and NCL is too big for DH. NCL does have better entertainment but CCL Sunshine holds the allure of comparing it to what we experienced on her when she was the CCL Destiny...again to us. For $154 difference it would still be CCL for us...purely for our own subjective reasons. We all have our own reasons why we would pay more (or less) for any cruise we choose to sail on. Yes you can find instances when CCL is more than other lines. But it is usually subjective reasons that usually make the final decisions, especially when prices are that close. If someone likes CCL and enjoys sailing them or any other lines for that matter, then let them sail that line and be happy. I prefer doing a little more research and am not brand loyal. But there are things on each line that I like and dislike and those things will come into play when deciding between different ships. Just as their itinerary and embarkation ports do.

I wish NCL was cheaper, which they have not consistently proven to be for us. Once in a while they have been but what's the saying about a broken clock?

But even if price was the only factor, their current corporate leadership style, poor communication to both crew and guests, their changing so much, so fast, even after booking, and requiring spreadsheets to know what dining plan is honored and where. 2 changes to the DSC in 6 months?

Maybe they work it out maybe they don't but to much uncertainty and changes for us to muddle through with them right now.

To bad the cruises we took on them were good times.

Edited by Trumpster

The point is everyone is saying that Carnival is cheaper. I have just proved that it is not.

Itineraries are discretionary and I prefer the Eastern over the Southern. Smaller ships are discretionary and I prefer the larger ones. That is not the point I am trying to make. I was proving that Carnival is NOT cheaper.

I n your case you are correct, Carnival is cheaper and can be at times specifically in smaller markets. Some day when I am really bored, I will do mini study of the large markets, non ship specific for multiple times of year and post the results here.

The point is everyone is saying that Carnival is cheaper. I have just proved that it is not.

Itineraries are discretionary and I prefer the Eastern over the Southern. Smaller ships are discretionary and I prefer the larger ones. That is not the point I am trying to make. I was proving that Carnival is NOT cheaper.

Hardly anyone says that Carnival is ALWAYS cheaper. I'm not sure I've ever read that come to think of it.

Generally speaking, more often than not, Carnival is lower cost.

No one has ever said Carnival is always cheaper on every cruise that can or will ever be. The specific reason I have sailed 5 lines (CCL, RCCL, NCL, HAL, Princess) is because at each of the times I've sailed, I have found the lowest price on one of those lines. But out of 17 cruises, 10 have been on Carnival alone which proves, on average, Carnival is the cheaper price. The fact that you found one instance (like I have) does not negate the fact that Carnival usually is the cheapest cruise line out there and you have proven nothing other than a one time occurrence that at that specific point in time, someone else was a couple of dollars cheaper. I too have found singular instances of a different cruise line being cheaper........Big whoop. :rolleyes:

Edited by Who Cares?

All you have "proven" is that for you and your cruising preferences, Carnival doesn't add up cheaper.

For thousand of others, it most certainly adds up cheaper.

You're just unwilling to accept your preferences don't apply to everyone.

If you remember, Carnival did this same thing last year at the first of the year. They raised prices significantly to test the waters, and when customers didn't bite, they lowered prices. I expect that's the same thing going on this "wave season."

I've already noticed some Carnival prices dropping. I'm holding on and waiting. My guess is prices will fall farther. I won't book until I feel comfortable I'm getting good value for my vacation dollars.

Remember too other cruise lines are offering incentives that Carnival never offers like free drink packages, so I'm going to sit tight for a while to get the most value I can for my 2016 cruise dollars.

Our Sunshine cruise just skyrocketed in price. Glad I booked early. Regular balconies are now $350 more than what we paid for an AFT balcony.

We booked our March 5 Sunshine cruise with early saver, hoping to get a price reduction. No such luck. It was the same price for many months, then recently went way up. Our category is currently $380 more for the three of us than what we paid. I guess I should feel good that we got the best deal, but a little onboard credit would have been nice.

All you have "proven" is that for you and your cruising preferences, Carnival doesn't add up cheaper.

For thousand of others, it most certainly adds up cheaper.

You're just unwilling to accept your preferences don't apply to everyone.

I totally agree. Nobody can say any one line is ALWAYS cheaper. Who here has said that?

Carnival is more often than not the least expensive. But nothing is absolute. Geesh.

Actually I think you are missing the point of what "everyone is saying". Everyone is not saying Carnival is always cheaper. They are saying Carnival is almost always cheaper for the cruises they are comparing and researching for their vacation. I have to say that personally, Carnival has been cheaper for every cruise vacation I have researched for our vacations. I just have sometimes been willing to pay more for other things we were looking for in that vacation once we began comparing what fit our timing and budget. I personally was pushing for NCL Getaway for our May cruise when we first started looking, it was just slightly more than CCL Dream in July...then it started going up by $400, then $600 and now over $1000 and priced itself right out of our budget. At the same time CCL dream went up and down from the original price usually by $20-$40 and is now down from July by $168. I have no doubt that others may get the timing right to find other lines cheaper for what they are looking for. It just never happened for me and for many others. I really don't think anyone believes that Carnival is always cheaper....our own research though has shown it has always been cheaper for us and what we are looking for.

Edited by Warm Breezes

what some people actually believe. Supply and demand is the biggest myth in economics. Google DeBeers. That concept only applies when supply can not be manipulated. Corporate America has kept you fooled for years. Sick actually, of talking to stupid people who need a cure for Dunning-Kruger syndrome. Look it up.

As far as prices go, well, heh-in about a month you will be begged to buy seven- dayers for $399. Hang tight. The economy may or may not be collapsing, but you don't wipe out $2 trillion dollars of wealth without a hit to the expendable cash niches.

Hotels that normally run for $149 a night in Kemah area are going for $65 on Priceline. Search it, the cancellations are already starting. So is this good or, uh, not good. Well poor people are poor in a bad economy, and a good economy, so for most, they will feel it in a trickle down way, barring total depression. Realistically if you can hang onto your job during a downturn, an argument can be made it is positive for you. IF. Prices drop, savings rates increase, and crowds thin. I already have the heads up to wait, BTW. Now I just need to wait for some know-it-all to tell me I am wrong..5, 4, 3..

Edited by Cruiseathoning