Carnival rising prices

Jimmy Geegitz

I am a big fan of Carnival. Looking to book a cruise for Feb2017. But I have found the comparable prices across the different cruise lines Carnivals prices have been higher for the most part. Was comparing Vista balcony to an ocean view Balcony on RCI Harmony of the Seas both lines newest ship. And the Harmony was lower by several hundred dollars. Checked Celebrity and for the same price they included drink package for 2 plus a $300 on board credit. WOW no brainier there. I love Carnival but money talks. Now we just have to decide between Harmony of the Seas and Celebrity Reflection. No drink package on RCI but it does have $250 on board credit. Of Vista does have $125 OBC. But that still is weak compared to the others. We got a better deal on our Princess cruise in October too. Plus a $400 OBC. Are people not shopping around? Carnival has become outrageous price wise. Not sure when we will sail again after our April cruise. Too bad too we just turned platinum.

That's the problem. Kinda like being in the supermarket and the price for a store brand product is too close to the price of the national brand. Too close and you choose the real deal that still offers a full cruising experience, not one that is becoming self serve.

Grocery prices have increased at a steady click, so it makes sense that cruise prices increase as well.

Use due diligence and choose the best option for you.

This! Across the board, prices have gone up. And there is no one way to state as to whether one line is always higher or lower. I price compare all of the time. Most anything I'm looking at will show Carnival to be the most affordable. I say go with the deal, date, itinerary, and ship that suits you best. Prices are all over the place.

We are still doing Carnival and as several have already indicated, prices are up everywhere and different lines may not compare well for a specific cruise. Just like per their ad's, Progressive insurance may not always be the cheapest, the same goes for cruise lines.

One thing about the $125 OBC, read carefully, it is UP to $125 credit but to get that amount you need to have 5 people. The credit is actually $25 per person. There will be only two of us so we got $50 OBC for our booking.

I cancelled my cruise on liberty of the seas...it was a 2 bedroom royal suite that was $1000 less then carnival vista's family harbour cove suite for the same week. Why did I cancel? Here was my reasoning

Vista

New ship

Better itinerary (grand turk, la ramona, aruba, curaçao)

Liberty of the seas

refurbished but no word on the rooms

itinerary okay (jamaica, grand caymen, cozumel...we have been to all these ports before)

To the op. Ccl is- was- and will be # 1 brand. Figure it out !

Royal Caribbean vs Carnival.....RCCL now has more ships sailing under the Royal Caribbean name than Carnival has under the Carnival name. They (RCCL) also has more passenger capacity than Carnival.

Carnival corp has more ships, but in the USA, Carnival is quickly falling behind.

As a solo traveler, Carnivals 200% supplement have pushed me to NCL, with their solo cabins and included Ultimate Beverage Package... I love Carnival, but paying $1,300 for an inside plus $400 more fore the Cheers package is out of my budget...

Royal Caribbean vs Carnival.....RCCL now has more ships sailing under the Royal Caribbean name than Carnival has under the Carnival name. They (RCCL) also has more passenger capacity than Carnival.

Carnival corp has more ships, but in the USA, Carnival is quickly falling behind.

Yet as he said Carnival will always be #1 and for good reason. In my opinion, best vacation out there no matter what I pay. And you and your 5 other names can dream on, Carnival is not falling behind.

As a solo traveler, Carnivals 200% supplement have pushed me to NCL, with their solo cabins and included Ultimate Beverage Package... I love Carnival, but paying $1,300 for an inside plus $400 more fore the Cheers package is out of my budget...

NCL's solo cabins are the way to go if you sail alone. But NCL's fares outside the solo lounge are quite high even with the UBP factured in.

Lots of real rough reviews of the new Escape.

Of course prices are going up, everything is.

To think that people are just blindly paying higher prices (compared to other cruise lines) by booking a Carnival cruise is not completely true. It always was the case that if you didn't do your homework (proper comparison shopping), you might be paying more than you should. That is true for every purchase we make. Some people can't be bothered taking the time...for a loaf of bread to save a few cents or for a cruise to save a few hundred$.

That being said while Carnival isn't always across the board the best value (no company is all the time), it is still very often the cheapest, especially when you aren't looking for a balcony or drink package. It is these add-ons that they are offering as freebies (for now) that makes the other companies (in the same price categories) competitive.

No question, unless money is no object, you should always be a informed consumer. It will pay you in the long run. If money were no object I wouldn't sail Carnival.

have a great cruise

I checked prices for my family of 5. Spring Break 2017, same date.

RCI Harmony - 1 Balcony (OV) and 1 interior:

7 days with stops in Nassau, St. Thomas & St. Maarten

$5450 Plus $250 OBC

Carnival Breeze - 1 Balcony and 1 interior (Both Lido Deck)

7 days with stops in Montego Bay; Grand Cayman & Cozumel

$3870 Plus $125 OBC

Carnival Vista - 1 Balcony and 1 interior (Balcony is Ext. Aft)

6-days with stops in Ocho Rios; Grand Cayman & Cozumel

$3972 Plus $125 OBC

RCI has the better ship and itinerary but unfortunately for at least my family of 5 the price isn't remotely close. Carnival is still lower cost by quite a bit and I'm not finding what you are price wise.

RCI must really Jack their rates for spring break. My Feb date has Harmony lower by $200 plus twice the OBC. We never cruise when school is out.

Now that they are going up, maybe they will start making the much needed repairs, and offering entertainment in line with all the other mainline cruise companies.

I'd be back on Carnival if they fixed the entertainment. Since they went to Hasbrp/Playlist I haven't stepped foot on a Carnival ship.

I used to really enjoy our Carnival cruises.

Bill

If entertainment is the reason to cruise, I agree Carnival pales to most other lines.

MSC was really good. Had hoped to try NCL again and are planning on a small ship but Escape's entertainment looks good but so many poor reviews of both ship and shows has us worried.

Entertainment is one the last reasons we pick a cruise. Provided its not terrible. Carnival has price and little entertainment. Still would choose Carnival for a simple cruise.

I'd be back on Carnival if they fixed the entertainment. Since they went to Hasbrp/Playlist I haven't stepped foot on a Carnival ship.

I used to really enjoy our Carnival cruises.

Bill

Have to agree Bill. Entertainment not a huge deal for us. But if Carnival no longer has the best deal then the lack of good entertainment will help us make a different choice.

I am a big fan of Carnival. Looking to book a cruise for Feb2017. But I have found the comparable prices across the different cruise lines Carnivals prices have been higher for the most part. Was comparing Vista balcony to an ocean view Balcony on RCI Harmony of the Seas both lines newest ship. And the Harmony was lower by several hundred dollars. Checked Celebrity and for the same price they included drink package for 2 plus a $300 on board credit. WOW no brainier there. I love Carnival but money talks. Now we just have to decide between Harmony of the Seas and Celebrity Reflection. No drink package on RCI but it does have $250 on board credit. Of Vista does have $125 OBC. But that still is weak compared to the others. We got a better deal on our Princess cruise in October too. Plus a $400 OBC. Are people not shopping around? Carnival has become outrageous price wise. Not sure when we will sail again after our April cruise. Too bad too we just turned platinum.

We are in the same boat you are is far as being platinum with Carnival. Yet the spiffs are minimal and like you well put money talks! I would not think twice of hopping on a different cruise line, they're all going to the same ports of call. So if my wife and I could find a better deal we jump on it!

Our Epic cruise is a lot cheaper than the Sunshine. It is $10pp cheaper and has a $100obc and Ultimate Drink Package.

Yes, all cruises are priced high but there are better deals out there than Carnival. Carnivals prices have skyrocketed over the last year.

Edited by ready2cruzagain