Xcellerate....the fastest internet at sea?

islandgirlejfan

We were on Millie in early May and they were advertising the new internet as Xcelerate. We used a laptop. Overall it was a significant improvement over previous internet usage, but fairly slow at times.

We have unlimited internet on our upcoming Infinity cruise. Was hoping the new system would be installed. Does anyone know where Infinity stands with new internet installation?

Sorry, but I disagree. Test it in house and with onboard teams. Roll it out when it's ready, and toot your horn at the same time - when you actually know it's ready to go. Doing soft introductions can be a recipe for disaster, especially when it seems the product may not be ready for prime time yet. They should have known this. Celebrity has a history of throwing things against the wall and seeing what sticks. This is not a wise plan, for a major enhancement such as this. If I were in their shoes, I'd want to know this system is working relatively well and, compatible with various formats such as Apple, Android, and Windows, before offering it to the public.

Let's hope they get this right, as it's a very exciting enhancement - especially for those of us who must stay connected with work.

Having spent 25 years working on various technical projects (on the business/user side) I would like to agree with you, but this is not always a possible nor practical approach. Sometimes you just can't properly test a system until it is out in the field (or sea as it were). That said, they should not be charging people for using a system in test mode, and should advise cruisers before sailing what they are getting into. To introduce a new system and not inform that you are being a guinea pig and charging you at the same time is not an ethical business practice IMHO

Day 1 - Solstice (in port @ Seattle) Not very impressed at this point...

SPEEDTEST.NET :

i-ZjpnvfL-L.jpg

I ran the test twice and obtained results which were nearly identical.

Tom

Edited by Tom-n-Cheryl

Your speeds will likely get worse the farther north you sail. The satellites are geostationary over the equator. The optimal speeds will be in the Caribbean.

That's my understanding as well. Time will tell.

Sent from my Galaxy S7 Edge using Tapatalk

Just off Solstice in Alaska. If the new system is supposed to be faster, I'm sorry, but I didn't see it. Near Victoria on Thursday, it still took me more than 30 minutes to print 4 boarding passes. That wasn't so bad, as I didn't expect much speed. The thing that really set me off was going to the internet room on sail away day to buy my usual 90 minute package, only to be told there were only 3 choices - unlimited internet for $229 (one device); a one day pass at $49.95; or .99 a minute. I was told, "Those are the only offerings for this cruise." When I bought the day pass on Thursday, a 90 minute plan had been added. Don't know when they made the change.

-- The thing that really set me off was going to the internet room on sail away day to buy my usual 90 minute package, only to be told there were only 3 choices - unlimited internet for $229 (one device); a one day pass at $49.95; or .99 a minute. I was told, "Those are the only offerings for this cruise." When I bought the day pass on Thursday, a 90 minute plan had been added. Don't know when they made the change.

So what happens to the Elite perk of 90 free minutes, before they offer the 90 minute plan?

Those speeds are faster than we get at home!!

I suppose it is all relative to an individuals needs. I found it great for what I needed to do and some, others may need it for work (yes, even while they are cruising) and I can imagine it may fall short there.

Is it worth booking a two week internet package on offer on celebrity website at the moment for £186? We r goin to the med in 3 wks? Any advice appreciated

Sent from my iPhone using Forums mobile app

That depends on your needs and wants, if you really need it for work and such, etc, then yes. If you don't perhaps the free wifi in port is sufficient.

As a UK resident, perhaps just buy a limited data package sim for your phone when you are travelling.:D

I think I must be a bit spoiled at home...

160814speed.jpg:eek:

I'll report back Connies' speeds in a couple of weeks. I do hope your speed increases Tom as your numbers so far seem pretty low.:(

That is pretty good. I am paying for 50 mps and if I had done my test in the room with my access point I would have got 40. I could get your speeds if I paid for it but I don't need more. You will notice my upload speeds are the same as my download speeds. You probably have cable. I have fiber which means high upload speeds.

I was on the Summit in June to Bermuda, I wish I had done a speed test but it was a lot faster than June the year before. I was able to post photos to Facebook this year and fast enough on other stuff. It certainly was improved but Xcellerate did not match the Voom that I had on Allure of the Seas. Voom was definitely faster. I think Celebrity cheaper out and installed a lessor service. It is a shame. With Voom you pay less and get a better speeds than Xcellerate. Voom is the fastest internet at sea, not Xcellerate!

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Edited by Charles4515

I've read that the unlimited internet is for 1 device, can I use it on my cell phone and after on my tablet when I deconnect on my cell phone ?

Yes, you can. You can even logout the phone when you login the tablet and vice versa if you left the other device logged in.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

So what happens to the Elite perk of 90 free minutes, before they offer the 90 minute plan?

Also curious...this perk has been great for us...dh has been been able to play his game...we each get 90 minutes..all we need for e mail albeit slow and boarding passes

Not sure. We are Select. On embarkation day, once logged in, the only choices were the ones I mentioned. We had a coupon for 25% off a package, but the discount was already figured into the choices on the screen. Again, I don't know when the 90 minute package was added, but on sail away day I was told it was not available.

Also curious...this perk has been great for us...dh has been been able to play his game...we each get 90 minutes..all we need for e mail albeit slow and boarding passes

If you are Elite you have the choice of 90 minutes or a 25% discount off unlimited.