Princess charges for norovirus meds?

JinJunky

While Celebrity does not charge for doctor visits or meds for Noro/Gastro symptoms they will (and have) charged for URI's like the flu. My insurance covered that, including chest ex rays

Hi Christine Frances

Don't see how that is right to charge one passenger for a infectious illness and not another.I always have insurance but still not right.

Reader

Yes for Princess it is the norm......

The OP did not sail Celebrity.

You always manage to insert a Celebrity snippet. :(

Out of curiosity, I read the first note of OP again. OP did NOT ask about Princess. OP asked about OTHER cruise lines.

This :( is not warranted.

Hi Christine Frances

Don't see how that is right to charge one passenger for a infectious illness and not another.I always have insurance but still not right.

Reader

Noro is much more debilitating and infectious than a cold or the flu. URI's are lumped in with bumps, sprains, cuts and everything else lol

It is not standard at all!! On Celebrity any suspected gastro issue has free medical consultation and drugs are free. Special room service menu if you are confined to your room and if you do not break quarantine they reimburse you on a per diam rate as OBC

It sounds like Celebrity has a better solution to the problem making it much easier to comply with their rules. It is always better to go that extra mile to help your clients have a good time so they will come back. Princess needs to re-evaluate their procedure in the case of Noro.

The current Princess procedure for Noro cases encourages pax to not report it and not seek medical assistance. This then results in the bug being passed to even more pax. This is reality and not make believe.

It sounds like Celebrity has a better solution to the problem making it much easier to comply with their rules. It is always better to go that extra mile to help your clients have a good time so they will come back. Princess needs to re-evaluate their procedure in the case of Noro.

The current Princess procedure for Noro cases encourages pax to not report it and not seek medical assistance. This then results in the bug being passed to even more pax. This is reality and not make believe.

Disney does not charge for the medical visit or treatment for noro. However, they do not reimburse in any way for quarantined days. They do provide room service as well as daily phone check in from the medical center.

Very well said indeed.

Cruise line is a hospitality industry, after all.

It depends on the terms of your insurance policy. I buy privately' date=' not thru the cruise line.[/quote']

We do too and we buy a policy that is PRIMARY, it is not subrogated to our health insurance. Therefore, we only have to file with the travel insurance to be reimbursed. And ours covers the trip interruption due to quarantine.

We do too and we buy a policy that is PRIMARY, it is not subrogated to our health insurance. Therefore, we only have to file with the travel insurance to be reimbursed. And ours covers the trip interruption due to quarantine.

My logic had always been that I could afford to lose the cost of the cruise (wouldn't make me happy, but I could afford it), but when I found out that my health insurance specifically excludes any care outside of the US, that became a huge reason to purchase the travel insurance.

I honestly consider all the other coverages as "fluff." Sure, it is nice to know that if the ship doesn't make it into port so I miss a day or if my flight doesn't get me there on time or my luggage gets lost, I will have coverage. But the biggie is that if I have some huge medical bill, I will not be paying it personally! And yes, my does provide a per diem reimbursement if quarantined to the cabin.

This discussion is not about insurance, it's about the OP paying for Imodium for noro. I think it is to Princess' advantage to give the medication at no cost. Left to run amok the ship will have to delay it's next sailing and do a thorough cleaning after the illness reaches a certain percent. They also have to report it to the CDC if it exceeds a certain percent. The ship will have to stop self serve at the buffet. The ship will have to remove salt and pepper from the dining tables. It is common sense to minimize the impact of Noro VS discouraging passengers from seeking no charge treatment.

Someone having a cold or flu does not impact the ship. They do not have to take any special precautions of report it to the CDC.

Edited by cruzsnooze

Noro is much more debilitating and infectious than a cold or the flu. URI's are lumped in with bumps, sprains, cuts and everything else lol

Beg the differ there, a flu or bad cold can be just as, or more debilitating for some people. While the ship may not report to the CDC, it can impact future sailings ....crew, back to back passengers.... ECT

Reader

Edited by Reader0108598

This discussion is not about insurance, it's about the OP paying for Imodium for noro. I think it is to Princess' advantage to give the medication at no cost. Left to run amok the ship will have to delay it's next sailing and do a thorough cleaning after the illness reaches a certain percent. They also have to report it to the CDC if it exceeds a certain percent. The ship will have to stop self serve at the buffet. The ship will have to remove salt and pepper from the dining tables. It is common sense to minimize the impact of Noro VS discouraging passengers from seeking no charge treatment.

Someone having a cold or flu does not impact the ship. They do not have to take any special precautions of report it to the CDC.

Sorry but someone with the flu or a cold does impact the ship because it spreads just like noro virus

does.

BTW: Bring your own Imodium people!

Reader

Edited by Reader0108598

I was just wondering if the travel insurance offered by Princess includes reimbursement for medical costs associated with Noro.

Princess insurance is secondary insurance.

Your own medical is primary.

Your own would pay then Princess ins would pick up the rest.

Its a medical office visit with meds, I would not see why not.

Edited by Colo Cruiser

Princess insurance is secondary insurance.

Your own medical is primary.

Your own would pay then Princess ins would pick up the rest.

Its a medical office visit with meds, I would not see why not.

This is completely accurate. BUT if your medical insurance doesn't pay for any reason (haven't met deductible, no coverage outside of US, whatever), then the Princess insurance would step in subject to the details of their policy.

Sorry but someone with the flu or a cold does impact the ship because it spreads just like noro virus

does.

BTW: Bring your own Imodium people!

Reader

Most medical people would rather patients not take Imodium but let Noro take its course and shed the virus (diarrhea). Imodium only slows the process and recovery is faster without it. Severe cases need IV's to replace fluids or injections to reduce nausea. Do not self medicat - see the Doctor

Edited by Christine Frances

As I recall, with Noro, Princess only charge for the medications and not for any consultation, about $35 and not worth the trouble of processing through insurance. We went through this a year ago and while I was not bothered about the charges, I was less than impressed by Princess handling of the Noro outbreak.

As I recall, with Noro, Princess only charge for the medications and not for any consultation, about $35 and not worth the trouble of processing through insurance. We went through this a year ago and while I was not bothered about the charges, I was less than impressed by Princess handling of the Noro outbreak.

What did Princess do wrong?

Interested to know. Going for a cruise in a few days.

Next time you know to handle it yourself, buy meds in port, and keep your illness to yourself.