Spending question

Indytraveler83

So, I was just thinking about another post, and left me wondering...

How much actual space do you need on a credit card for the onboard account on the cruise?

We are planning on budgeting about 400-500 for onboard spending (including tips). But given the holds Carnival puts on the account, how much more space do you need than that?

My bf doesn't have very established credit so his card doesn't have a very high limit (sort of a beginners cc) and I'm a bit worried about it. Any advice? Any experience?

Edited by Indytraveler83

I found this info on carnival.com - maybe someone who has actually cruised with Carnival can confirm :):)

The guest’s credit card or debit card will be swiped at embarkation with an initial hold placed on file as a deposit::

2 - 5 day cruise: $100 USD per credit card or debit card

6 days or longer: $200 USD per credit card or debit card

Throughout the cruise, additional holds will be obtained as needed when the Sail & Sign Account exceeds the amount of deposit Carnival has on file.

I wish I could help but I hate all the holds they put on your card so I use cash or a pre paid Carnival gift card . So maybe you can go to Lowe's or Publix or Kroger in your area and pre purchase some with your credit card then you don't have to worry about holds on your credit card.

I found this info on carnival.com - maybe someone who has actually cruised with Carnival can confirm :):)

The guest’s credit card or debit card will be swiped at embarkation with an initial hold placed on file as a deposit::

2 - 5 day cruise: $100 USD per credit card or debit card

6 days or longer: $200 USD per credit card or debit card

Throughout the cruise, additional holds will be obtained as needed when the Sail & Sign Account exceeds the amount of deposit Carnival has on file.

I totally missed that. So it makes me wonder, once that amount is exceeded, so they place another hold for $200 and keep repeating that? Or does it get more complicated than that?

I totally missed that. So it makes me wonder, once that amount is exceeded, so they place another hold for $200 and keep repeating that? Or does it get more complicated than that?

I have absolutely no idea. But the above idea with gift cards sounds like a good solution or just the cash.

Here is where I found the information- they have written a bunch more than what I copied.

https://help.carnival.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/1138/kw/Credit%20card%20hold

Make sure you have a CC with enough credit for the holds then bring cash and/or gift cards to pre-pay your account with on the first day after you board. Then all that Carnival will need is the initial hold and then you will actually be spending out of your cash/gift cards that you put on your S&S.

On our upcoming cruise we anticipate about $800 in on board expenses, Cheers, chef's table, excursions, etc. We have $500 in gift cards and the rest the remainder in cash. The first day we'll put the $500 in gift cards on the account then the last day we'll top off the remaining balance with cash to have as close to a zero balance as possible.

It also possible to setup your account as a cash account and not supply a credit card but we've never done that.

I wish I could help but I hate all the holds they put on your card so I use cash or a pre paid Carnival gift card . So maybe you can go to Lowe's or Publix or Kroger in your area and pre purchase some with your credit card then you don't have to worry about holds on your credit card.

Hi elainmir!!!! I've read on numerous blogs about the gift cards you are talking about. Discounted at Kroger and similar places. Can I, as a Canadian citizen, buy those cards as well at the discounted price or do I need to be an American citizen to get them?

Thanks a lot in advance

Heimey

You dont have to put a credit card on file.

I'd just call up and try to prepay gratuities and put your remaining cash up front. YOu do NOT have to put a card on file and can just use cash - just let them know when your getting your card and setting up your sail and sign.

I like to prebudget and theres been times i've prepaid gratuities, put what i've wanted to spend as cruise cash from the funshops and not put anything down and had no problem.

We don't use a credit card. We load cash onto the account when we board. You can check your balance easily and reload cash if needed. When we leave, we just cash out what's left the night before. So easy to budget and no stress.

Edited by mumtopugs

They aren't discounted at Kroger (although you can buy them there). You can pay full price at retail outlets. I don't know if they are available in Canada. Maybe someone else can weigh in on that.

The discounted gift cards are available through Verizon (if you have an account with them) or AARP Rewards for Good (no membership needed). There are good threads available for both of these if you do a quick search.

Happy sailing!

• 1 month later...
They aren't discounted at Kroger (although you can buy them there). You can pay full price at retail outlets. I don't know if they are available in Canada. Maybe someone else can weigh in on that.

The discounted gift cards are available through Verizon (if you have an account with them) or AARP Rewards for Good (no membership needed). There are good threads available for both of these if you do a quick search.

Happy sailing!

Hi there

The AARP discounted cards are only available if you have a U.S. mailing address.

As far as I know the only time we can benefit from a discounted card is when Carnival offer them because they let you print out an e-card.

I see this was mentioned, but I wanted to expand:

We always use cash for our S&S account. Before boarding, while getting your S&S card, they will ask you how you're setting up your account. Simply hand them the amount you want to add. If at any time during your cruise you spend it all, you can go to guest services and A.) give them more cash or B.) give them a card for the balance at the end. We have done this on all 7 cruises and have never incurred a hold on our card.

We do still inform our bank that we will be out of the country just in case of emergency need for our card while in port.

Enjoy your cruise!

Prior to the cruise, let your credit card company know you will be on the cruise so they don't block you out if they see a foreign purchase. On the same call ask if they can raise the limit a bit.

If you want to be frugal on the cruise all you will be on the hook for is tips. On the Conquest a few weeks ago the tips did not hit the card till day 5. Carry on wine and soda for beverages.

You can always pay cash on your to account during cruise to keep charges off the card.

Not sure on the Canadian situation...does Verizon have the rewards program there??

We don't have verizon in Canada and I have never seen Carnival gift cards in any stores but we might try and find some while in Orlando before our cruise

We don't have verizon in Canada and I have never seen Carnival gift cards in any stores but we might try and find some while in Orlando before our cruise

Our local Vons has them. They're part of the Safeway Corp. IIRC it's actually Safeway in Florida.

Edited by SadieN