Anyone else like Carnival because of Adult Only areas?

ceight

Ironically, I think of Carnival only when sailing with my small kids, but not when I want an adults only experience. Yes, Serenity is a nice area which I've enjoyed several times, but as others have said, other ships have adults only areas as well, and in many cases much nicer and truly adult. Princess' Sanctuaries and Royal's Solariums are phenomenal. We've also sailed on Holland America and bought a pass for their Greenhouse Retreat which was an absolutely fantastic highlight to our cruise.

I think that it's important that rules are enforced no matter what line, and in my experience, Carnival has been the least strict about it. It's been almost guaranteed that there will be kids in hot tubs designated for adults, and even at Serenity, I've seen parents who've brought their (well behaved but still banned) pre-teen kids with them without a word from the staff.

Last year, we sailed on Royal and a large family snuck into the Solarium. The kids were doing cannonballs in the pool. Not even 2 minutes had gone by before security showed up and kicked them out (in a nice and respectful, but strict manner). That's how it should be, no matter what cruise line it is.

Edited by Tapi

Have been on two other lines Princess And Celebrity where there was a charge to use that outside area.

True, there are parts of Princess' Sanctuary with a charge, but those are where you'll have a reserved lounger with some added perks not available on Carnival's Serenity. However there are parts of the adults only area that are completely free of charge, including a truly adults only outdoor pool. When we sailed on the Golden Princess, you could access it by going through the spa, so right there it's access was controlled. It was a fantastic area. Outdoors but with some shaded and quiet areas. And the pool was not only fresh water but also heated. No reserved loungers but yes, it was free of charge.

Edited by Tapi

As Carnival moves more and more to the "family" on its cruises I expect to see less and less adult only areas...just my personal take on things. Also, cruising during weeks when "most" kids are in school means that adult areas are less likely to be "threatened" by children.

There are ways to ensure that you won't be surrounded by kids and families. Just "book" during those weeks or book the longer more expensive cruises. It's not rocket science.

The AO area is the only place I will go to relax while on board. I teach at an elementary school so I do enjoy being around kids, but while on vacation I need a break lol. You will definitely enjoy Splendor's AO aft pool, tons of loungers, 2 hot tubs and a pool, full service bar, and the deli is back there as well. Other lines like RCCL do a very nice job with their adult only areas as well, it's not solely a Carnival thing.

The last two cruises were during school breaks and it was overwhelming but we managed. Met lots of great families. The second cruise wasn't during the spring break for most the states near the port but it was break somewhere!

Hoping that my next cruise on April 23 will not have that many.. I checked the internets for breaks. And hopefully not that many people take their kids out of school for cruises. But that would be awesome if you were a kiddo. :D

Royal Caribbean does not have adult-only ships.

DRAT! That poster got my hopes up! :) :D ;)

Oh well, for the time of year that we sail, the kids to adults ratio is not an issue. But I do like the sound of an adults only ship. (Yes, I know CCL is a family line.)

But I do like the sound of an adults only ship.

Carnival Corp's P&O Cruises has 2 ships, Oriana and Arcadia, which are adults only and they seem to be very popular.

We were on an RCL cruise several years ago, in February. There was a school district somewhere on the East coast ( New York, I think) that had an early Spring Break.

I doubt one single school district would have any appreciable impact on the number of kids. School districts in New York State (at least the ones I'm familiar with) always have the President's Week off (the week including President's Day). It sounds like that may have been the week you cruised.

For what it's worth, on Conquest the week of January 9-17, there were very, very few kids. I suspect it was too soon after they returned from Christmas break for parents to consider yanking them out of school again for a cruise. You might want to consider a trip around that time period if you want to avoid children.

Have been on two other lines Princess And Celebrity where there was a charge to use that outside area . Although , Celebrity did have a lovely adult area -inside with a pool which was no charge.

What Celebrity ship are you talking about? I've been on numerous Celebrity cruises and have never seen a for-fee adults only area. :confused:

And like Tapi said, on Princess, it's just the Sanctuary, which comes with certain added amenities. The adult pool areas, including the aft pool, are totally free. In fact, most Princess ships have 2 AO pools...one forward and one aft.

Edited by Aquahound

And who "takes care" of the adults who act like children. Line cutting isn't just a child's activity. Elevator etiquette often doesn't exist on ANY elevator no matter the age of the passengers. Many adults can be loud, obnoxious, self-centered, self-absorbed to the point they don't even recognize that they are traveling with 3000 other people.

I think kids and parents get a bad rap. Sure there are obnoxious and unsupervised kids...but, at least in my experience, they are a minority....unruly adults, on some cruises, can be a vast majority. YMMV

I pay to act unruly on my cruise, HAHA Just kidding,, Well a lil bit. Adults sometime get a lil bit to much to drink and may get a lil loud.but they themselves pay for it in more ways than one.. Kids running amuck because parents paying no attention is the worst tho. Now Ive only had one time with a line cutter and let him have it

Aquahound....the M class Celebrity ships have the Thalassotherapy pool and hot tubs , near the spa. They are adults only, free, and very nice. There's a glass roof , so good in any climate. Very relaxing and therapeutic.

Correct. That's why I asked about a fee area. I've never seen or heard of it. :confused:

Not all ships have adult only pools... which is why I don't care to book on them. My favorite ccl ship is the liberty . the back pool is adult only... unfortuneatly it is ported in San Juan now.

Have you sailed a Spirit class ship yet? The entire wide open aft pool deck is Serenity. That's where we park ourselves whenever we sail Pride, Legend, or Miracle. I wish all ships' Serenity decks had pools.

I'm not a child hater. I love children. We have two grown sons. I cannot wait to be a grandmother someday. I'm an educator and I am fortunate to spend my days with fifth and sixth graders. We cruise to escape New England winter weather AND children. All I ask is one week to not have a kid run into me, throw something at me, say something snarky to me. I am recharged upon our return and I feel that I am a better educator for it.

Can't believe all the dislike for children that consumes this board. No wonder younger generations are so screwed up. Apparently adults hate them and their presence and they don't seem to want to keep those thoughts to themselves. Wonder if my parents and their friends disliked us as much.

I don't think that it is dislike for children in general, I think it is dislike for the children whose parent's didn't raise them to respect anything or anyone. I usually don't blame the kids, I blame the parents.

My kids now range from 23 to 7. I have cruised on ships with serenity area and then without...will never book another cruise without serenity area. I have seen unsupervised kids eating ice cream cones in the hot tub! :eek: GROSS!!! Yes, I reported it to a Carnival worker and child was made to get out.....still never got in the pool or hot tub that cruise.

Can't believe all the dislike for children that consumes this board. No wonder younger generations are so screwed up. Apparently adults hate them and their presence and they don't seem to want to keep those thoughts to themselves. Wonder if my parents and their friends disliked us as much.

The following was recently posted by a member. I just can't recall who it was. Hmmm.

"By the way...posting a thread doesn't mean anyone is right in their opinions, and if the poster gets "flamed" that is a risk everyone takes for stating their personal ideology."

I read the thread. I saw two sides: those who enjoy cruising with children completely and those who preferred not to. What I didn't read is a dislike for children, especially when many of those who preferred serenity were parents and teachers.

I didn't see "adults hate them."

So, "posting a thread doesn't mean anyone is right in their opinion."

Unless, of course, it's yours.

Distort and attack is an unpleasant approach. Some use it way too often.

But hey, that's just an opinion.

Nowadays, kids are being raised to be self-entitled little brats who aren't taught the meaning of the word "no," or to be respectful to elders and authority figures. That's why I avoid family areas and that's why I prefer cruise lines/ships with expansive adults only areas. You want to know why the younger generation is screwed up? The answer is much closer to home.

Nowadays, kids are being raised to be self-entitled little brats who aren't taught the meaning of the word "no," or to be respectful to elders and authority figures. That's why I avoid family areas and that's why I prefer cruise lines/ships with expansive adults only areas. You want to know why the younger generation is screwed up? The answer is much closer to home.

That about sums it up. Well behaved children I have no real problem with, but those are getting farther and farther apart.

Sent from my SM-N910V using Tapatalk

Admittedly, I'm not a huge fan of kids. To be quite honest, I'm incredibly awkward around them and just...prefer not to interact. Nothing against y'all with kids...just not my thing. Please keep raising future (hopefully) respectable adults. :)

My husband and I will be on the Splendor in Feb and have been on the Conquest twice before. I LOVE the AO pool area.

On a side note, is this something most lines offer? I'm a little terrified Carnival will take this away eventually as they strive to be a more family-friendly line.

I was on Splendor in November. It was full of old people, the entire ship was an adult section lol. But they have a nice adult area up front.

Its a great ship, even the ugly decor grows on you. Hated it at first, really dug it at the end.

Edited by Rottweiler Puppy

I raised four kids and worked with thousands over the years at work. I love kids but on vacation, Its nice to get away from them. Especially the current crop of kids, huge difference in behavior of kids the same age just ten years ago.

Hate them? Nope. Prefer to be away from them at times? Yup. Dont assume that people hate kids just because they don't prefer to be around them.