Recommended Jewelry Stores in St. Martin

Grindem

Does anyone have a list of the jewelry stores in St. Martin that are recommended by Celebrity Cruise lines ?

Don't limit yourself to just the stores that are recommended by Celebrity. By doing so, you will walk by many family run stores who will work with you to find the quality piece you are looking for, at a price that makes sense. Many of these family run stores want a customer for life, so it is in their best interest to treat you properly. We found one of these stores and we continue to buy from them, 17 years later. More importantly, we refer any new cruise friends to this business whenever in St Maarten.

The sales pitch will suggest that the Celebrity "guarantee" of quality and best price will give you the confidence you need to shop in the recommended stores. The sales process may sound easier, but you owe it to yourself to do 2 things...

1) Do your homework on pricing before you cruise

2) Enjoy the experience of checking out the stores that are not on the recommended list.

Randy

Have always used Kay's jeweler in St Martin. They have stores at the dock and in town. Bought several pieces throughout the years and actually bought items from home in Massachusetts through one of the owners "Archie". Always had a good experience with backed appraisals.

Ballerini us incredible. While we have not been to one in St. Maartin we regularly go to one I. ST. Thomas. They always remember us. Clean everything and insure we have a couple beverages in hand b4 leaving. And we are by no means big spenders.

Ballerini us incredible. While we have not been to one in St. Maartin we regularly go to one I. ST. Thomas. They always remember us. Clean everything and insure we have a couple beverages in hand b4 leaving. And we are by no means big spenders.

We have been dealing with Ballerina for the last 12 years and have had great service and pricing from them . Most of the people in their stors are family and they treat us like family.

Actually......the stores the ship recommends are the ones to avoid, in my opinion. They have paid the ship to recommend them. They tend to be overpriced. I would never walk in one of the stores with the word "international" in their name. They prey on the tourists. I'm sure people have been happy with them but I have heard more bad stories from people on ships, from posts on here, etc.

I have dealt with Ballerina and Ray's. Both good, both reputable, and locals go there. I prefer Ballerina in St. Thomas, but they're both owned by the same family. I had a piece made and dealt with them, not mentioning price, for two months before a cruise. I brought my loupe and was knowledgeable about my desired pendant, what different grades should be and different sizes. I had a price in mind that it should be. I got a very good deal. Brought it home and the local jeweler and appraiser said it was an excellent price that they couldn't even come close to.

Mostly though we don't shop in the Caribbean at all unless it's local handcrafted items.

My favorite shop in STM is:

Oro Diamanté

Fine Jewelers of Distinction

62 B Front Street,

St. Maarten, N.A

http://www.oro-diamante.com

Tel: 1 (721) 543 0342 or 543 0343

U.S. #: 917 464 5704 or 213 596 0853

Raju is the owner and he has a terrific selection and great prices. Great customer service. As in other Caribbean ports, many shops are not "approved" by the cruiselines, meaning they don't have to pay a commission to the shopping "experts". Be sure to consider purchasing loose stones too, as they are duty-free if purchased in most (if not all) ports.

Liz

On our last trip there we were with a cousin who is in the jewelry business and went to Imperial Jewelers with him. Quoting my cousin "nice work, very average values". Jewelry is so hard to value because there are no real standards and most of us know little about it. Not like a camera that you can get a model number and compare to US prices. That said, DW has gotten some nice things from Imperial and Boochans.

Be cautious about what you think are celebrity's shopping guarantees. Shop recommendations are not made by celebrity, they are made by a third party. If you have any problem or claim celebrity will tell you they aren't involved, deal with that other company. Based on a number of posts here, the warranties, guarantees, etc aren't worth much. All the recommendation means is that the store pays a commission to be recommended.

Have always used Kay's jeweler in St Martin. They have stores at the dock and in town. Bought several pieces throughout the years and actually bought items from home in Massachusetts through one of the owners "Archie". Always had a good experience with backed appraisals.

We've also purchased diamonds from Kays on the town area in St Maartins many times. Very personable and fair in their pricing. We don't feel the oversell or pressure to buy you sometimes get in other jewellery stores.

Edited by oceangoer2

I bought a 4.5 carat Tanzanite and Diamond ring at Rays this last year. I "haggled" (which they expect) and got him down to $1,000. When I got home I took it into a jeweler here and was told the value was $4,000. They are great to deal with and good prices.

Have been shopping at Grand Jewelers in both St. Thomas and St. Martin since 1995. All the pieces of jewelry we have had appraised when we got home have had appraisals significantly higher than what we paid. Also the information provided as to cut, clarity, color and carats has been 100% accurate. No deceptions or misrepresentations. They have a New York office which you can contact if you have any issues with a purchase.

I have bought several pieces of jewelry, from the store with International in their name, over the years. I don't buy them to resell later at a big profit, they are to be passed on to the family when the time comes. Because of the costs, these pieces are insured individually not just an add on item on my homeowners policy. I have them appraised by an independent gemoligist, not the guy at the corner jewelry store, approved by my insurance agent. Everyone of them is appraised at several thousand dollars more than I paid. I know that if they are lost or stolen, I will get the agreed upon value and that's all I care about.

I bought a 4.5 carat Tanzanite and Diamond ring at Rays this last year. I "haggled" (which they expect) and got him down to $1,000. When I got home I took it into a jeweler here and was told the value was $4,000. They are great to deal with and good prices.

Do you mean Rays or Kays?

Do you mean Rays or Kays?

Ray's is the store we have been doing business with for the past 17 years. They have 2 stores in St. Maarten.

These stores are family owned and they genuinely care that you get the best, as they are looking to acquire clients for life and that is why we do not shop at DI.

Randy

Ballerina is our jewelry store of choice.

They have stores in St. Marain and St. Thomas.

We have used Ballerina jewelers for the last 20 years with some major purchases recently.

Very happy with quality and service.

If we could not find what we wanted, they made it and shipped it to us

Will be back to Ballerina store in St. Thomes in March

We've also purchased diamonds from Kays on the town area in St Maartins many times. Very personable and fair in their pricing. We don't feel the oversell or pressure to buy you sometimes get in other jewellery stores.

A friend who cruised with me two years ago recommended them. She has been shopping at their Aruba location for years. My sister bought me very inexpensive (relatively speaking) earrings. They are lovely, and she got a very, very good markdown from the sticker price. I found the family to be incredibly welcoming, and they never once treated us any with any less care than anyone else in the shop even though we were not there to make a large purchase.