Princess charging for room service?

GUT2407

We got a $2.04 charge this week. We think it might have been for tge 2 large orange juices(it wasn't breakfast), since they would not be allowed to be drank at no charge from the bar, without the beverage package. We ordered 3 or 4 times and that was our only charge. The food was great.

When the earlier question was raised whether there was now a fee for room service, someone replied back that the tip might be considered a fee as it's "extra".

I thought that even for room service, a tip was automatically charged (like for alcoholic beverages, sodas, etc.) though no tip for the "free" food.

Is this correct or do we need to add an extra optional tip when they deliver room service? Please advise.

We tip on the heavier side but wanted to check was the room service tipping policy is if anyone knows. Many thanks!:)

Room service personnel are included in sharing the daily hotel charge (auto-tip) that is added to your account evening night.

Some people like to tip extra, just like some people like to give extra $$ to their cabin steward or dining room waiters who are also in the tipping pool.

Other cruise lines have started to charge a fee for room service. I would not be surprised to see other lines following their lead.

I was just on the NCL Getaway and they charge a fee.

Just off the P&O Pacific Pearl

They do not charge for delivery BUT every item for breakfast costs $5

every item from the poolside grill cost $3

Pitza is available 4 choices only at $9.50

One scoop of icecream was also $5

I hope Princess is not going to copy this

Edited by windsor26

How much do you generally tip the room service person on Princess for say bringing breakfast in the morning?

We ordered room service once on our recent cruise, to change out some of the items in our Elite mini bar setup, and gave the lovely young lady $2 cash.

Edited by sunsetbeachgal

They did, and there was such an outcry, they suspended the practice mid-cruise. Typical Swartz tactics, just this side of bait and switch.

I think so, since Swartz has started, Princess is making a very slow turn in the wrong direction

Edited by antsp

They might be headed towards Celebrity's mode...they now are charging for late night room service. I think it was for food delivered from 11-5:00 a.m Personally I see no problem with that.

Edited by eandj

I think so, since Swartz has started, Princess is making a very slow turn in the wrong direction

I think that her boss...Carnival Corporation (CCL) CEO Donald Arnold...is more responsible than the Princess President Jan Swartz.

I realize that the different cruise lines operate independently however it's very doubtful to me that the CCL CEO does not influence or ultimately authorize changes at any of the CCL cruise lines.

I only remember them trying to charge $10 for Alfredo's which was quickly rescinded.

Yes, that and they were charging for room service, too.

I think that her boss...Carnival Corporation (CCL) CEO Donald Arnold...is more responsible than the Princess President Jan Swartz.

I realize that the different cruise lines operate independently however it's very doubtful to me that the CCL CEO does not influence or ultimately authorize changes at any of the CCL cruise lines.

That is true, but I didn't see other lines pulling the bait-and-switch trick as she did on the Royal. The people booked under one rule, and then the minute they were on the ship--surprise! Room service and Alfredo's will cost you extra! Princess seems to be doing everything backwards since she took over--change something first and then see later if it might work. There are several examples.

Edited by shredie

Yes, that and they were charging for room service, too.

That is true, but I didn't see other lines pulling the bait-and-switch trick as she did on the Royal. The people booked under one rule, and then the minute they were on the ship--surprise! Room service and Alfredo's will cost you extra! Princess seems to be doing everything backwards since she took over--change something first and then see later if it might work. There are several examples.

Those changes were for the Regal's first cruise & not the Royal's and neither of us know who was ultimately responsible for implementing those changes & we can only speculate about who.

Edited by Astro Flyer