Would you pay a surcharge for a formal only dining room area?

LMaxwell

Would you pay a surcharge for a formal only dining room area?  

369 members have voted

1. 1. Would you pay a surcharge for a formal only dining room area?

I've created a poll above with two choices; yes and no, to try to keep things simple. Would you pay a surcharge for a dining room, or walled off section of the dining room, that was mandatory formal only? It would still be dining room service and menu, but clearly partitioned. This does not mean you can only dress formally in this section; you can dress formal on the beach for all anyone cares, but it does mean strictly no admittance without formal wear.

Write in: If you answered yes please indicate how much you would pay for this, say, per person per night.

Wonder if the "Non-Formalites" would pay for a non formal restaurant?

Works both ways.

Sounds like any of the alternative dining (though with bespoke menus). That's really not what this topic is though. I tried to ask the question as clearly as I could. Would those who want a formal environment pay for that environment?

Edited by LMaxwell

Absolutely no!

We would pay to kick off the ships any "clothes police" snobs or those who dress in excess of the dress codes (e.g., formal in speciality restaurants). Sorry they didn't go to senior prom... :)

That's a bit nasty. Some people may be celebrating a special event, like an anniversary or significant birthday, and want to look special.

That's a bit nasty. Some people may be celebrating a special event, like an anniversary or significant birthday, and want to look special.

Just to be clear; anyone is free to dress up as much as they wish in any dining venue, even what would be the "standard" MDR. Just that the pay section would have strict dress code entry rules. So if you really want it that everyone else is dressed formal as well, that's the spot. If you want to dress for your own party but don't care what others around you do, you likely would not pay extra.

Not a chance but maybe in the dining choice on the reservation they should ask "how important is strict adherence to the dress code on Evening Chic Night to you". Then they could assign tables according to that and the clothes police would not have to suffer thru dinner with someone in open toed shoes (several posts said "I don't want to see people's feet at dinner").

I've created a poll above with two choices; yes and no, to try to keep things simple. Would you pay a surcharge for a dining room, or walled off section of the dining room, that was mandatory formal only? It would still be dining room service and menu, but clearly partitioned. This does not mean you can only dress formally in this section; you can dress formal on the beach for all anyone cares, but it does mean strictly no admittance without formal wear.

Write in: If you answered yes please indicate how much you would pay for this, say, per person per night.

Why have such a poll? Why pay a surcharge for a specialty restaurant (particularly if it's not much more than an Olive Garden)? Like so many other former Celebrity cruisers, why not switch to Oceania where there is no charge for specialty restaurants (that are actually special) and the food is so much better in all venues.

Edited by Flatbush Flyer

Wonder if the "Non-Formalites" would pay for a non formal restaurant?

Works both ways.

We always did. On formal nights, we used to go to the specialty restaurants as they are smart casual all the time.

Now that Celebrity has gotten rid of formal nights, we can go to the specialty restaurants which ever night of the cruise fits into our schedule best, vs having to go on the designated formal nights

Simply do not understand this continuing attraction to forced formal wear. As I and others said, it is NOT about what you can wear (you are still free to wear formal wear on ANY night, especially "chic" night, but entirely about what some think what I can wear. Otherwise, why all the furor over the loss of forced formality? And this poll, which would FORCE you to continue to wear formal wear to enter a certain venue? And to pay a surcharge?

First off, the M class ship MDRs are already quite crowded due to the chopping off of sections for Blu and Luminae. Not a chance that they would cordon off even more space (and it would HAVE to be walled, lest the formalites having to gaze on the slovenly masses.)

Second, and most important, a number of discussions with senior officers, marketing people and other =X= staff the last couple of weeks confirms: They are EXTREMELY pleased with having made the decision to jettison required formal dining. As one said to us, it opens a whole new demographic to Celebrity: those who actually laughed at the thought of traveling on a cruise and being forced to dress formally, but who would now consider cruising.

Folks, the ship has sailed.

No. I will be one of those dressed in a Tux on formal night and will sit in the MDR. Not because I want to make a point, not because I want Celebrity to bring back formal nights but because I have a choice. I choose to wear formal wear on special evenings on a special vacation.... What others choose to wear is up to them and is nothing to do with me. I certainly wouldn't pay extra for it.

No. I will be one of those dressed in a Tux on formal night and will sit in the MDR. Not because I want to make a point, not because I want Celebrity to bring back formal nights but because I have a choice. I choose to wear formal wear on special evenings on a special vacation.... What others choose to wear is up to them and is nothing to do with me. I certainly wouldn't pay extra for it.

And that is exactly what our party will be doing and for the very same reasons . And we won't give a monkey's regarding other peoples choice of dress . Pay for a separate area ? No way !

Why does it matter what everyone else is wearing ?

Why can't we all just accept that people are just as entitled to have a different opinion as we are and just all get along ?

It's a holiday, not some sort of Gestapo-camp..

Never.

Select another cruise line if you want to be in a room where everyone has to dress up. Celebrity is no longer that cruise line.

good call

I think this topic has been beat to death !!

the answer is very Very Clear with the results of the poll