Sailing with an 8 month old baby - Zika Virus Concerns - We have insurance

My wife is freaking out about the Zika virus. I'm trying to be level headed and certainly don't want to put our daughter in harms way. She is not pregnant but our main concern is about our 8 month old going on her first cruise in about 5 weeks. We do have the cruisecare insurance so I don't know if this will be a covered cancelation. I'll call RCI to see about that.

But I am wading through all the information about the virus from the CDC and mainly only see problems for pregnant women. But what about kids?

Guillain-Barré syndrome is also a concern. My dad contracted it earlier in life and now has MS.

All that to say, we're a little on edge and trying to decide what to do.

I'm thinking it'd be best just to stay on the ship for the trip. Personally, I'd be fine with that!

My wife is freaking out about the Zika virus. I'm trying to be level headed and certainly don't want to put our daughter in harms way. She is not pregnant but our main concern is about our 8 month old going on her first cruise in about 5 weeks. We do have the cruisecare insurance so I don't know if this will be a covered cancelation. I'll call RCI to see about that.

But I am wading through all the information about the virus from the CDC and mainly only see problems for pregnant women. But what about kids?

Guillain-Barré syndrome is also a concern. My dad contracted it earlier in life and now has MS.

I'm thinking it'd be best just to stay on the ship for the trip. Personally, I'd be fine with that!

RCI is allowing anyone to cancel without penalty and reschedule a cruise up to 2 years.

RCI is allowing anyone to cancel without penalty and reschedule a cruise up to 2 years.

Thank you. Yeah, I got that answer from them. That's really a nice thing for them to do. Just trying to decide if it's warranted. Weighing all the options. We have family flying in from two different places and just want to make sure whatever decision we made is educated and not out of media hype.

Thank you. Yeah, I got that answer from them. That's really a nice thing for them to do. Just trying to decide if it's warranted. Weighing all the options. We have family flying in from two different places and just want to make sure whatever decision we made is educated and not out of media hype.

The CDC has declared it an International emergency. We have several cases reported in Florida and getting worse.

I am not one to panic about this virus and am going on a cruise in a couple of months that hits every one of the affected areas -- I have no plans to cancel as there is no chance of pregnancy in this old body.

However, they just don't know enough about what this virus does and there is that very small chance of developing Guillain-Barré syndrome. Not only that, but the same mosquito also carries Dengue and the Chikungunya virus. I think with a little one, I would play it safe and probably choose another itinerary, especially since RCI states that you would be covered for the switch. Either way, you will make an informed decision as you have proven you are looking into learning the all the associated risks.

Talk to your pediatrician.

I personally wouldn't hesitate -- I've never gotten a skeeter bite on any cruise I've taken to the Caribbean. Skeeters aren't all that active during the daylight hours that cruises are generally in port. And if you're not pregnant or planning to get pregnant in the next couple months, there really isn't any particular danger to this virus.

Guillain-Barre can happen after ANY kind of infection.... If you're using that as a reason to avoid a cruise, then you'd better wrap yourself in a bubble and never get a cold, a tummy bug, the flu, etc.

But talk to your child's pediatrician -- don't take medical advice from strangers on the internet who may or may not have any medical education whatsoever. Some of us have licenses to practice, some of us don't. You have no way of knowing which person is which.

The CDC has declared it an International emergency. We have several cases reported in Florida and getting worse.

And I agree on that, but we aren't pregnant and don't plan to right now. I'm more trying to see some facts or figures about what affect, if any, it has on a 9 month old baby. Do you see anything about that out there?

Personally I would never take a baby on ANY vacation until she is at least 2 years old. It's easier for the babies, who don't care about vacations, AND it's easier for the parents.

Ha ha! Yeah, I could see the thought process on that. But, we're really looking forward to spending some time on a ship we love with everyone all together. Sure, she won't have the memories of the cruise, but we sure will.

And I agree on that, but we aren't pregnant and don't plan to right now. I'm more trying to see some facts or figures about what affect, if any, it has on a 9 month old baby. Do you see anything about that out there?

The CDC is completely baffled on this one. One case so far has been sexually transmitted. Another case from a blood transfusion. They're estimating at the current rate there will be 3-4 million cases this year. Our Governor has called for a state of emergency since 6 of our Counties now have confirmed cases.

Dangerous only for babies of moms conceiving or expecting when infected.

I don't understand the major concern unless the above were true. In the extremely rare chance that you'd be infected, the virus symptoms go away in a few days

There are much worse things you can catch than Zika

Edited by SeaUs

Just for anyone who may be following the thread, I talked to my pediatrician and she said just the very elderly and anyone expecting a child are the only two groups that should consider not going to those countries.

If it were me & that was my ped's answer then I'd go on the cruise. There's really no information on long term effects IF you get the virus. I just think the chances of getting bitten are small enough that I wouldn't worry about it.

That's a big exception to their terms and conditions. Do you have a link to that on the company web site?

The link on the website only mentions cancellation if you are pregnant.

http://www.royalcaribbean.com/search/processSearch.do?ip_server=prdiphrase-unstruct-new222.dmz.rccl.com:200&ip_text=Zika

What should I know about the Zika Virus before sailing?

A: Royal Caribbean Cruises Ltd. is committed to the safety and health of our guests and crew. We are closely monitoring the Zika virus situation and are aware that the CDC has issued a travel alert for certain countries where Zika virus transmission is ongoing. Royal Caribbean will assist any pregnant women who do not feel comfortable sailing to countries affected with the Zika virus by providing alternate itinerary options. This may include providing guests with a future cruise credit valid for two years so that they may re-schedule their voyage for a later date, with no penalty. Guests seeking additional information on the Zika virus are encouraged to contact their primary care physician or visit the CDC's website.

Edited by Ourusualbeach

We will be traveling with our 2 and 4 yr old this summer. I'll be checking with our pedi on his thoughts when the kids have an apt at the end of the month. I'm a little concerned but we already live in Florida so it will probably be spread here too and just not travelers returning .

Sent from my iPhone using Forums mobile app

The link on the website only mentions cancellation if you are pregnant.

http://www.royalcaribbean.com/search/processSearch.do?ip_server=prdiphrase-unstruct-new222.dmz.rccl.com:200&ip_text=Zika

What should I know about the Zika Virus before sailing?

A: Royal Caribbean Cruises Ltd. is committed to the safety and health of our guests and crew. We are closely monitoring the Zika virus situation and are aware that the CDC has issued a travel alert for certain countries where Zika virus transmission is ongoing. Royal Caribbean will assist any pregnant women who do not feel comfortable sailing to countries affected with the Zika virus by providing alternate itinerary options. This may include providing guests with a future cruise credit valid for two years so that they may re-schedule their voyage for a later date, with no penalty. Guests seeking additional information on the Zika virus are encouraged to contact their primary care physician or visit the CDC's website.

Thanks for that link. I guess the rest of the traveling group is SOL.