Anthem keeps docking us around

shaun07

Can you get cruise care after final payment is made?... or less than 30 days out? After twenty something cruises this is the first time I have considered taking the insurance.

Compare policies and price quotes at insuremytrip.com I don't know the answer to your question specifically, but whatever it is you will find out there.

Can you get cruise care after final payment is made?... or less than 30 days out? After twenty something cruises this is the first time I have considered taking the insurance.

insure my trip dot com.

I have always purchased the insurance, either from the cruise line or independently. Fortunately, I have never needed to use it.

I can recall in my 20's taking my step-kids and waiting until the day before we sailed to purchase because I didn't have the money until then. For some reason, I have always felt it critical regardless of whether I drive to the port or fly, if I'm healthy and young, and the cost of the cruise.

This is one of those scenarios (unexpected weather causing either a delay in return or returning early) that can be covered--make sure to read through the different policies and call and ask questions if you are unsure. In addition, an accident at a port on an excursion, unexpected health issue onboard, etc. Actually, the thought of cancelling within the final payment window and not going on the cruise has been the least of my worries. Yet, I know I'm covered for that too.

It is up to each person individually of their risk tolerance for traveling without adequate insurance.

FWIW, you can get a cheaper one that doesn't cover major med evac and healthcare costs and really just covers for the trip interruption/cancellation. You can also insure just the health/med evac too.

They didn't spend any of the money they were planning to spend in ports or on board for the most part.

Hotel rooms in NYC this weekend are under $100.

You can spend a nominal amount in NYC and have a lot of fun. Things like the Staten Island Ferry and Metropolitan Museum of Art are free not to mention a zillion other things you can do.

Please tell me what hotel rooms this weekend are under $100..I would love to hear this. I have lived in NYC all my life and KNOW this isn't true. I currently live in Manhattan. Even hotels that charge by the hour on the west side get close to a hundred bucks after 3 hours. LOL but true.

They didn't spend any of the money they were planning to spend in ports or on board for the most part.

You can spend a nominal amount in NYC and have a lot of fun. Things like the Staten Island Ferry and Metropolitan Museum of Art are free not to mention a zillion other things you can do.

Oh, and the Staten Island Ferry in freezing weather is NOT a lot of fun.

Another add....the MET is NOT free. A donation of $25 is recommended for adults is recommended. If you walk in and don't donate, shame on you. They are entitled to a donation for you to go in. It's one of the top museums in the world. They did not get that way by all people strolling in for free.

Please tell me what hotel rooms this weekend are under $100..I would love to hear this. I have lived in NYC all my life and KNOW this isn't true. I currently live in Manhattan. Even hotels that charge by the hour on the west side get close to a hundred bucks after 3 hours. LOL but true.

https://www.hotwire.com/hotels/#!/hotel/results/New%2520York%2520(and%2520vicinity)%252C%2520New%2520York%252C%2520United%2520States%2520of%2520America/02-11-2016/02-13-2016/1/2/0

That's a hotwire link.

Another add....the MET is NOT free. A donation of $25 is recommended for adults is recommended. If you walk in and don't donate, shame on you. They are entitled to a donation for you to go in. It's one of the top museums in the world. They did not get that way by all people strolling in for free.

One more time. My uncle was a Docent at the Metropolitan Museum of Art from 1989 to 2009. There is a SUGGESTED donation. There is no entrance fee. It is very common for seniors and students and those who simply cannot afford the museum to not pay.

They have one of the healthiest endowments on the planet. They do not charge admission because they don't have to.

I find it hard to believe you've lived in NYC all your life and don't know this.

Just a quick comment on insurance and the other insanity. People who are traveling during the winter in areas that could be affected by snow should get travel insurance. Period. The chances are good you will hit a storm if you choose to cruise from the north. Its also possible that snow will cancel a plane flight. Get insurance. Im flying out of Chicago in march...it could snow, i could miss my flight, i got insurance. Im making the choice to sail out of san juan in august...yes in hurricane season. I accept that the cruise line cannot protect me from mother nature, so guess what, im buying insurance.

For every person who is true blue loyal to rci and blindl defending every decision, there is a person on the other side attacking without knowing the facts. Probably the answer lies somewhere in the middle. Figure out how to express your opinion and not attack other posters.

I think rci is not doing a great job with communication but probably they are in a no win situation. Everyone has an opinion and no matter what, some people aren't going to be happy.

For those on the ship, im truly sorry that your trip ended this way. Hope you come out of it feeling at peace with decisions made by the company and yourselves. Hope the people on the next crise get some answers soon. Hope everyone else just can take a deep breath.

I cant wait to go on freedom in march! Until then i will dream of warm weather when it hits below 0 tomorrow here!

I hope RCI is smarter than you. It's worth the price of good customer service.

I was on the Anthem sailing prior to this one. There is a 100+ page roll call thread on CC because RCI also dropped the ball big time in terms of communication (and, for many, compensation).

It was my first sail with RCI and my last. Which is a shame because I loved the ship but I could not believe the way RCI treated its passengers.

1. Our cruise was cut one day short (12 nights to 11). We paid $4500 for our cabin, we got $200 in OBC.

2. RCI refused to provide any information about potential itinerary change. It provided conflicting information to different customers, and finally said that it would release the itinerary AT PORT CHECK-IN.

3. Finally, one day before the check-in, RCI relented and emailed to SOME passengers the new itinerary...which was completely unrecognizable. We bought a Western Caribbean cruise with 6 ports, we got an Eastern one with 5 ports. People--those who got the email, anyway--scrambled to cancel/book new short excursions for the ports.

I'm omitting a lot of the details, but in short, it was clear that RCI's left hand did not know what the right hand was doing, and the decision makers at the company showed a staggering lack of respect and consideration for their customers. So yeah, never again.

The Doubletree on Wall Street is $110 a night for Thursday and Friday nights.

The Roosevelt is $118 a night.

Row NYC (Times Square) $114 a night.

The Lexington (Midtown) $97 a night.

The Franklin Hotel (upper east side) $98 a night.

Seton Hotel (mid town) $103 a night.

A quick search of Expedia found quite a few choices for around $100 a night for Thursday and Friday night.

The Met is NOT free, and neither is the Ferry. EVERYTHING in NYC is very expensive- a one way subway ride is up to $2.75 per person.

And that's why your in Maine. The MET costs whatever your willing to spend. I was just there last week and gave $1 per person for 2 of us. It is a "suggested admission" not mandatory... The Staten Island Ferry is free...

Edited by theboss7593

LOL at you. I'm not ashamed at all. And believe me I can afford the $25. I just bought a Mercedes last week. But to me the price of admission is worth what it's worth to me and that's a buck. Like someone else mentioned they don't need our money...

Edited by theboss7593

LOL at you. I'm not ashamed at all. And believe me I can afford the $25. I just bought a Mercedes last week. But to me the price of admission is worth what it's worth to me and that's a buck. Like someone else mentioned they don't need our money...

Have fun repairing that glorified volkswagen. No one likes people who say things as such... jussssayin

Have fun repairing that glorified volkswagen. No one likes people who say things as such... jussssayin

LOL I have a bumper to bumper for 4 years unlimited miles and free maintenance for 2. I've had 2 of them and never had a problem other than one issue that was covered under warranty. Then again it's safe to assume you've never owned one or it you did it had more than 100K and 8 years old or older. It's common sense you don't buy an old euro car and you don't direct ships into storms. Win win :) I'm gone since this thread is for those who are on the ship anyway. I've stirred the pot enough.

...They did not get that way by all people strolling in for free.

Are you sure?

A quick search of Expedia found quite a few choices for around $100 a night for Thursday and Friday night.

I don't believe these prices reflect 14.75% tax and other fees.

LOL I have a bumper to bumper for 4 years unlimited miles and free maintenance for 2. I've had 2 of them and never had a problem other than one issue that was covered under warranty. Then again it's safe to assume you've never owned one or it you did it had more than 100K and 8 years old or older. It's common sense you don't buy an old euro car and you don't direct ships into storms. Win win :) I'm gone since this thread is for those who are on the ship anyway. I've stirred the pot enough.

Awefully defensive about your VW. I will not, nor do I care to argue with anyone about the things I have owned and the fact that you feel it necessary, speaks a lot about you. Thank you for leaving :D

P.S. Thank you for creating you CC account today just to be a troll. Welcome. Or if it wasn't created recently, thank you for remaining silent until today.

Edited by Powersboyee2

Here's my two cents for what it's worth. First, when you sail out of NY (I know technically it's NJ but hey the Jets play in NJ and we still call them NY lol) in the winter as when you sail during hurricane season there's a reason it's so much cheaper so insurance is a must. Second, yes NYC can be done cheaply but it's going to be freezing here. 18 the high on Friday I think I just saw. But more importantly RCCL is 100% responsible. This storm did not "blow up". I saw the weather channel reporting on it days prior predicting 100 mph winds and 30 foot seas. They never should have been there period.

https://www.hotwire.com/hotels/#!/hotel/results/New%2520York%2520(and%2520vicinity)%252C%2520New%2520York%252C%2520United%2520States%2520of%2520America/02-11-2016/02-13-2016/1/2/0

That's a hotwire link.

One more time. My uncle was a Docent at the Metropolitan Museum of Art from 1989 to 2009. There is a SUGGESTED donation. There is no entrance fee. It is very common for seniors and students and those who simply cannot afford the museum to not pay.

They have one of the healthiest endowments on the planet. They do not charge admission because they don't have to.

I find it hard to believe you've lived in NYC all your life and don't know this.

The Hotwire link brought me nowhere. Tell me a hotel name in NYC (and not a link) that doesn't charge by the hour and is under 100 buck for a night.

I don't care if YOU find it hard to believe where I live. I have lived all my 44 years in Manhattan or Brooklyn. I currently live across from Pete's Tavern in Gramercy in the huge white brick apartment building. Ask for Claudia. They will buzz up. I'll will point out some REAL free activities. Better yet, just buy Time Out NY.

I don't care about endowments. A suggested donation is just that. Donate if you can and here is the amount we suggest. If the museum was absolutely free and no one at all ever paid, the museum would shut down. Sure, if the museum had enough endowments to self support, it wouldn't recommend donations for entrance. Don't try and take 'advantage' of something just because you 'can'.

Seriously, if you have money to take a cruise then donate something when you enter the MET....even if it's ten bucks. If you dont have the means to go to that museum, then there are other legitimate things to do in NYC that are truly free like riding the ferry ( in the freezing cold wind of winter).

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Admission to the MET is only worth a dollar? You're right, the MET doesn't need or want your money. I didn't say you should be ashamed but owning a Mercedes doesn't mean you are rich, classy or have culture though.

The person mentioned under $100. First try and actually book those hotels at those rates and then when you do, add three levels of taxes and tell me if any are still under a hundred (or charge by the hour). By the way, most under $150 without tax have a shared bath if your into that kind of thing.

You should stay in NJ with your warranted Mercedes and spend the 2 bucks on admission to all those world class museums you have there.

The person mentioned under $100. First try and actually book those hotels at those rates and then when you do, add three levels of taxes and tell me if any are still under a hundred (or charge by the hour). By the way, most under $150 without tax have a shared bath if your into that kind of thing.

As a former Manhattanite, I agree. And many of those rates are for postage stamp sized rooms that are sometimes singles. And what of a family of four or more? And it isn't exactly easy or inexpensive to get there from Bayonne.

And it isn't easy for an out-of-towner to navigate public transportation in the are. Cabbing gets very expensive.

"LOL at you." - good one!

Reading this, one can see how stereotypes start and get reinforced.

What exit?

Listen.. its okay to be wrong.. how about just conceding to the fact you were MISTAKEN.

I just found a 3 & half star mid town hotel for $166 all in for 2 nights ($83/night).. and another one by MSG for $173 all in for 2 nights ($86/night)

That includes ALL taxes and fees.

And with regards to the MET... you CAN give the recommended donation.. or heck.. give $1000 if you would like. But for the people where money is a bit tight.. no donation (or a small one) is acceptable.

I don't care if you've lived in NY for 200 years.. you are wrong.. and just admit it. :p

As a former Manhattanite, I agree. And many of those rates are for postage stamp sized rooms that are sometimes singles. And what of a family of four or more? And it isn't exactly easy or inexpensive to get there from Bayonne.

And it isn't easy for an out-of-towner to navigate public transportation in the are. Cabbing gets very expensive.

No one even got to other logistics around getting to NY... the question was around a hotel being under $100/night (or around it).. and its out there.. if you know how to use hotwire.. priceline or expedia.

I stayed in NY last thanksgiving time (November 27th to early December).. stayed in a really nice hotel just outside of Time Square.. little boutique-ish...

but had a king sized bed.. nice bathroom.. all the essentials.. and it was just under $130/night all in. Great location too. Deals can be had.

And whether the Staten Island Ferry is free (which it is). and if the MET museum is free (sort of is).. free access being available. So this original poster was wrong.. on pretty much all accounts. And is just unwilling to accept that fact. :confused: