Anthem keeps docking us around

shaun07

I don't understand! It took the ship less than a day to reach the location of the storm because he wanted to speed ahead of it....but coming home is taking 3 days!?

Might as well eat whatever perishable food item there is on the ship :-)

Joke aside, maybe they needed the time to order parts, hire dock workers on their off day, etc. Tying a ship to a dock cost money also.

Here's my two cents for what it's worth. First, when you sail out of NY (I know technically it's NJ but hey the Jets play in NJ and we still call them NY lol) in the winter as when you sail during hurricane season there's a reason it's so much cheaper so insurance is a must. Second, yes NYC can be done cheaply but it's going to be freezing here. 18 the high on Friday I think I just saw. But more importantly RCCL is 100% responsible. This storm did not "blow up". I saw the weather channel reporting on it days prior predicting 100 mph winds and 30 foot seas. They never should have been there period.

You better check those forecasts again. Up until 6pm the day of the storm when Anthem was already in the middle of it .. the prediction was 30 to 40 mph winds with gusts to 50. They upgraded the storm at 6pm.

I firmly believe Rccl knew about the storm and choose to sail into it. I don't know how they make these decisions or how pressured the captains are but at the end of the day its the captains decision. He is in charge. Yes the captain got us thru it and he deserves credit for that but we should have never been there. Capt Sully Sulivan was a hero because a freak thing happened and he got everyone to safety. He didn't sit on the runway looking at a flock of birds , takeoff and aim for the birds.

I do not believe that Rccl has cared one bit about the passengers. Their only priority is to limit the PR and bottom line damage . We were a few hours from port and they turn us around to go back up the coast playing chicken with multiple storms on the way. People just want to get off his ship but instead they drag it out for 3 more days in rolling seas . When they made the decision to turn around they told us 6am. So they make this decision and nobody thinks to check with the port!!

They never even thought about how scared everyone was. Add to that the fact the a lot of people have been sea sick since Sunday. All they want is land, to stop feeling sick and scared.

Has anyone else noticed that Anthem does not show up on any ship tracking sites? (at least not since yesterday, off of Cape Hatteras) Has their AIS antenna been damaged? Did they turn off their transponder? If they did turn it off or mask it, bad on them. Perhaps someone on board can take a picture of their TV screen and post it. :cool:

I do know that AIS is either Line-of-sight to shore stations, or satellite driven, so I'm wondering if one of their golf ball antennas is down...

Wishing safe passage and prayers for all aboard.

Any Android or iPhone with GPS can give you the proper position. And Officer always have paper map :-) I personnaly uses GPS Nautical Charts" and download the proper chart. Maybe someone can post the Lat. and Long.

Might as well eat whatever perishable food item there is on the ship :-)

Joke aside, maybe they needed the time to order parts, hire dock workers on their off day, etc. Tying a ship to a dock cost money also.

I can't believe how others think this can funny in any form. If my family had gone through that experience and pictures are a thousand words...I would want to get back to land.

i firmly believe rccl knew about the storm and choose to sail into it. I don't know how they make these decisions or how pressured the captains are but at the end of the day its the captains decision. He is in charge. Yes the captain got us thru it and he deserves credit for that but we should have never been there. Capt sully sulivan was a hero because a freak thing happened and he got everyone to safety. He didn't sit on the runway looking at a flock of birds , takeoff and aim for the birds.

I do not believe that rccl has cared one bit about the passengers. Their only priority is to limit the pr and bottom line damage . We were a few hours from port and they turn us around to go back up the coast playing chicken with multiple storms on the way. People just want to get off his ship but instead they drag it out for 3 more days in rolling seas . When they made the decision to turn around they told us 6am. So they make this decision and nobody thinks to check with the port!!

They never even thought about how scared everyone was. Add to that the fact the a lot of people have been sea sick since sunday. All they want is land, to stop feeling sick and scared.

hey man,i have been with you all along on the behavior of rccl. I agree with you 100%. But now the cheer leaders will slam you so be prepared. When they choose to leave on time then the next best thing to do would have been to dock in port canaveral. RCCL didnt care one bit. It was all about the bottom line and doing damage($$$) control. Shame on them all !!!!!

Edited by NIATPAC29

So they should have said nothing at all until things were set in stone? I suspect they are passing on information as it becomes available. Obviously, everything about this cruise is subject to change.

If they said nothing the passengers would be complaining about that also. The same ones that are complaining now. How many times do you think the passenger service desk was asked when will we dock. So they gave the best information they could at the time. They want everything. Things change when your not on schedule.

I can't believe how others think this can funny in any form. If my family had gone through that experience and pictures are a thousand words...I would want to get back to land.

Sorry if my comment offended anyone. It was not my intent. I know people want to go home and see their family

Edited by dandee2

Sorry if my comment offended anyone. It was not my intent. I know people want to go home and see their family

It was nice of you to post this. Not too many people on here attempt to make amends for a comment that falls flat. You're obviously a kindhearted person.

I feel bad for everyone on this ship, but you are getting a refund plus 50% off your next cruise as well. Next time, get INSURANCE!!!! RCL is doing the best that they can to get you back safely!!!!!

The very least they can do since they put these poor folks in danger and in fear of their lives for no reason. They are getting nothing compared to what they had to endure out there. Just watch the videos and look at the photos.

As much as RCCL did drop the ball on docking time the fact remains that anyone that is strapped for cash and can't change flights or get a hotel to stay a few days is really in the same position they would have been in if the cruise went perfectly well and then they arrived to find storms in the area or near their home had caused flights to be cancelled for the next day or 2.

Actually no they would then be in an even worse position because then they also wouldn't later be getting a refund of a cruise fare that they could use to pay off the extra credit card bills or borrowed money if that is what they did.

Yes RCCL probably made some mistakes and maybe just maybe this is even their fault, but that doesn't mean they owe everyone that didn't plan for any travel hiccup the paying of every fee they might run into.

So they should have said nothing at all until things were set in stone? I suspect they are passing on information as it becomes available. Obviously, everything about this cruise is subject to change.

They told them to make alternate travel plans based on the info provided, so I say yes, they should have told them they were heading back but not give them a specific docking time and then tell them to make travel arrangements based on it.

They received a 100% refund for this cruise and 50% off a future cruise. Is that not enough????????

No, actually its not enough. They should have never been put through the horror. Nothing is really "enough". The 50% is BS anyway cause I don't think many of them are going to be booking another cruise anytime soon.

as much as rccl did drop the ball on docking time the fact remains that anyone that is strapped for cash and can't change flights or get a hotel to stay a few days is really in the same position they would have been in if the cruise went perfectly well and then they arrived to find storms in the area or near their home had caused flights to be cancelled for the next day or 2.

Actually no they would then be in an even worse position because then they also wouldn't later be getting a refund of a cruise fare that they could use to pay off the extra credit card bills or borrowed money if that is what they did.

Yes rccl probably made some mistakes and maybe just maybe this is even their fault, but that doesn't mean they owe everyone that didn't plan for any travel hiccup the paying of every fee they might run into.

more than a "hiccup" a total throw up is more accurate

Wonder, will they let them stay on the ship for a night/day extra - not like they have people coming on board yet. - I know area's need to be repaired, but they can close off certain areas - too cold on top deck with snow/wind now anyway!

Agree that the OP must be frustrated, tired and just ready to come home. I can't imagine what that experience was like.

And now for some Wednesday morning quarterbacking...here is a USA TODAY perspective on how RCI handled the situation. The problem with these types of articles, whether accurate or not...is that hindsight is always 20/20. At the end of the day everyone is safe and that is what really matters, right?

http://www.usatoday.com/story/news/nation/2016/02/09/royal-caribbean-anthem-cruise-storm/80051782/

That article ticked me off. Why post a picture of the Costa Concordia lying on its side right under the title, if not to try to sensationalize what happened? And then it auto-plays a slideshow of "cruise ship disasters", complete with ominous music. Whoever published it that way should be fired. The Anthem passengers went through a terrible experience, no question, but how is it helpful to dredge up every incident that ever occurred on a cruise ship? Just report the facts, and stop trying to make a bad situation worse with scare tactics.

SI ferry is free.

Loads of free or low cost things to do in NYC. You are right on the cost of a subway ride but you could get an unlimited as well.

Not disputing it, NYC is an expensive place to visit. And for the folks with very limited funds the suggestion isnt the best. For people with travel insurance, and use of credit cards its not the worst suggestion. Yeah they will spend some money but they got here for free, didnt they?

Sent from my SM-N910C using Tapatalk

Just in case you find yourself in New York with some free time.

http://www.nyc-arts.org/collections/35/free-museum-days-or-pay-what-you-wish

Has anyone else noticed that Anthem does not show up on any ship tracking sites? (at least not since yesterday, off of Cape Hatteras) Has their AIS antenna been damaged? Did they turn off their transponder? If they did turn it off or mask it, bad on them. Perhaps someone on board can take a picture of their TV screen and post it. :cool:

I do know that AIS is either Line-of-sight to shore stations, or satellite driven, so I'm wondering if one of their golf ball antennas is down...

Wishing safe passage and prayers for all aboard.

It was like that before this cruise. It's always been hit or miss as to whether Anthem shows up. I have looked for it before and most of the time it just doesn't show up for some reason.

Good morning folks. I for one am finding this fascinating and am trying to imagine how I would feel having gone through your experience. I love cruising and have been in some bad weather but nothing anywhere close to what you've gone through. So keep it up and I will continue to lurk.

Edited by sigsky

no, actually its not enough. They should have never been put through the horror. Nothing is really "enough". The 50% is bs anyway cause i don't think many of them are going to be booking another cruise anytime soon.

good to see a few people on here have some common sense !

This should be the logo for this site........

Love it!

Its not a dead horse. Its very much alive.... and RCCL needs to answer for why they put these people in harms way and have consequences. This is not OK! Be snarky all you want. You have not been affected by any of this, and you don't have lots of $$ invested for a sailing in a couple of weeks. I'm not looking forward to going on this beat up ship. They are going to do patch work to get it going by Saturday because god forbid they lose any more revenue because of it. If that captain is still on board I really do not want to go!

There are valid points being made. Just because you don't agree doesn't mean they are not warranted. Your posts are the annoying posts.

No, actually its not enough. They should have never been put through the horror. Nothing is really "enough". The 50% is BS anyway cause I don't think many of them are going to be booking another cruise anytime soon.

What horror??!! They were in 25-30ft seas. I would hardly call that "horror." Uncomfortable, maybe. But horror? Good Lord. You really need to stop with this sensationalism.