Anthem keeps docking us around

shaun07

agreed, and maybe its not all the bad and i need to suck it up, honestly i really don't know, all i know is I thought we were going down and I was terrified. All I want is to feel secure and right now Rccl is making me feel the opposite

I really have compassion for you and everyone else on board. I'm praying for your safety and for your peace in the face of the unknown !

Not everybody is financially prepared to do that. Some people actually have to save for vacation. Plus the hotel prices in NYC are very expensive.

They didn't spend any of the money they were planning to spend in ports or on board for the most part.

Hotel rooms in NYC this weekend are under $100.

You can spend a nominal amount in NYC and have a lot of fun. Things like the Staten Island Ferry and Metropolitan Museum of Art are free not to mention a zillion other things you can do.

They didn't spend any of the money they were planning to spend in ports or on board for the most part.

You can spend a nominal amount in NYC and have a lot of fun. Things like the Staten Island Ferry and Metropolitan Museum of Art are free not to mention a zillion other things you can do.

Not much fun will be had without also spending money on warm clothes, and the clothes they likely wore on the boat may not last three days / nights... :eek:

That is why me, along with many others pay extra for travel insurance.

Travel insurance is helpful in winter travel, but I don't think that it would help much with many on the ship right now. Sure, they will reimburse them for hotel/meals, etc... but that will take time. I'm fortunate to be in a situation that I have a bit of extra cash in my checking account and a credit card with a healthy credit limit on me when I travel these days - but that hasn't always been the case. When my son was young I made sure that we went on a family vacation EVERY year, no matter what! I'm thrilled that we have those memories. My son remembers all of our vacations and I would do it all again in a minute. But, back then, we went on a shoe-string budget. If an unexpected expense came up, it would have been difficult to deal with! For the people on the ship now, there is no shame in trying to find your way out of a difficult situation! Don't let people on these boards make you feel bad about your decision to travel. If you wait for the ideal time to travel without risk, you would never go anywhere!

I wish you the best and don't hesitate to ask at the desk for some help in your travel arrangements. They may be able to help you.

Wow! Exactly the type of comment I was referencing in my post. It is so easy for people who aren't even on the ship and didn't go through what those passengers went through to make judgments and snide remarks. Really? Did you not even notice that the OP put a joke about it being a dramatic statement with a smiley face!

I really don't think your comment was called for at all. How about having the slightest bit of sympathy for a bunch of people who have been through a rough experience and are now frantically trying to figure out how they are going to manage when the ship docks and basically gives them two hours to get off? Perhaps they would like to know how to plan for that - doesn't seem that unreasonable to me. Also doesn't seem unreasonable that people who have been scared and frustrated need to vent without being subjected to mean responses! :rolleyes:

I agree with you totally. There are so many who have little regard as to what those on board are experiencing. Instead they take pleasure at describing how they would handle the situation, despite not actually experiencing it. Sort of rubbing it in the face of those who are on board.

It is great that one buys travel insurance to cover possible losses. It is also great to be able to cruise 3 - 4 times per year. Some cant afford the amount of money on those expenditures. There is no need to let all else know how efficiently you handle your business...as it does NOT help in any way those who are on board presently.

I see many posters who assign no blame at all to RC in any way but have no issue blaming unions, dock workers or government workers as the reason why Anthem is not returning at the time the passengers were told by RC originally.

You have no clue but yet it does not stop you from blaming those you don't like, all the while deflecting any blame at all to the cruise line. In your mind, the union workers are greedy and lazy and corporate America, read RCI, is not to be held accountable. If RC was not able to give an accurate return time, they should not have given one when they did just as they are giving no information regarding the next Anthem cruise. Instead cruisers made new travel arrangements based on the information provided which now turns out to be wrong...but it must be the union and dock workers fault! :rolleyes:

I read many posters, who are not on board, proclaiming that the damage to the ship was cosmetic. Now I read some of these same posters stating that the ship has to be fully inspected and repaired before any information regarding the next cruise can be released. :D

I'll withhold my opinion of blame until more facts are released. I wont deprecate what those onboard have experienced. I wont tell how I would have handled the situation better or more accurately...in a perfect way, as some posters just must let the rest of us know.

It is good entertainment though reading some of these posts, sort of like watching presidential candidates insulting each other in the debtaes.:D

I may be mistaking but doesn't the customs border control have a lot more to do than just count the amount of money you spent abroad?? I thought their real purpose was to check you for re-entry into the country. You were really only checked by a check in person to get on the ship. I am sure someone will chime in if I misunderstood this.

While checking you for reentry into the country is a part of their job, collecting Customs Duty is also part of their job. Here's a description of how that works, from their website:

http://www.cbp.gov/travel/international-visitors/kbyg/customs-duty-info

I just wanted to throw something out there NOT trying to second guess any decisions that the guests on board have made, but just to help out future cruisers.

First of all I AM NOT on the cruise, however one of my co-workers is and I have been staying in touch with him.

Secondly, Just something to think about. I think some of what has happened here emphasizes the importance of taking the cruise insurance (Either RCCL's or a 3rd party). I have read reports of people having to pay 600+ a person to fly home due to the change fees and increase in airfare, those with insurance (Such as my coworker) aren't paying a dime - or a much reduced rate.

As far as my experiences with it, my cruise plans were severely impacted by Winter Storm Jonas a few weeks ago, and due to increased travel expenses and changes, the Cruise Care also helped me out a lot with last minute airfare and hotel costs.

I just wanted to bring this up because a lot of people are commenting on the costs that people on board are experiencing with the last minute travel expenses.

I just wanted to throw something out there NOT trying to second guess any decisions that the guests on board have made, but just to help out future cruisers.

First of all I AM NOT on the cruise, however one of my co-workers is and I have been staying in touch with him.

Secondly, Just something to think about. I think some of what has happened here emphasizes the importance of taking the cruise insurance (Either RCCL's or a 3rd party). I have read reports of people having to pay 600+ a person to fly home due to the change fees and increase in airfare, those with insurance (Such as my coworker) aren't paying a dime - or a much reduced rate.

As far as my experiences with it, my cruise plans were severely impacted by Winter Storm Jonas a few weeks ago, and due to increased travel expenses and changes, the Cruise Care also helped me out a lot with last minute airfare and hotel costs.

I just wanted to bring this up because a lot of people are commenting on the costs that people on board are experiencing with the last minute travel expenses.

So true. We always get the travel insurance.

I too am in the pro-insurance corner as I have had a major claim ($25,000 med Evac claim) and other minor ones that have more than made up for any future insurance costs. However, I know a majority of people do not elect insurance. I know this does not help,those now onboard, but hopefully this situation might highlight the importance of it for future travel for someone reading the posts. I sincerely hope that this ordeal is soon over for the guests and I can only hope that RCCL steps up to help those pax who, through no fault of,their own, are now in a tough situation.... I wish that I was hearing more positive reports about RCCL and their efforts to assist.

I have never bought cruise insurance, but I always drive to the port the night before even though we are just a few hours away from any port in FL. I would certainly buy it if there were flights involved in getting to the port. It is all about what you are willing to risk to save money on not buying insurance for your trip. It is an individual responsibility to take out insurance if unexpected events such as bad weather would cause a personal financial burden that you would have difficulty in dealing with.

Edited by coaster

So sue mother nature. its not RCCL fault that a storm blew up and ruined the cruise. Maybe you should cancel your cruise as you keep saying they are incompetent.

There are logistic situation in NJ in where RCCL does not have full control over. The dock workers, etc.

Their vacation is ruined because the captain and/or RCCL Corporate sailed them right into the middle of hurricane force winds. Don't worry about my cruise. They are incompetent and RCCL won't let you cancel or switch without losing money. We inquired, but that really is none of your business.

While checking you for reentry into the country is a part of their job, collecting Customs Duty is also part of their job. Here's a description of how that works, from their website:

http://www.cbp.gov/travel/international-visitors/kbyg/customs-duty-info

Exactly ... so in this case, more so checking for re-entry than for duty. Not sure, where any of the onboard shops even open. If not, then only checking for re-entry into the states for these passengers.

Thanks for posting the link!!

So true. We always get the travel insurance.

Can you get cruise care after final payment is made?... or less than 30 days out? After twenty something cruises this is the first time I have considered taking the insurance.

Perhaps because they don't want to fly to FL?

Exactly.

That is why we did our Anthem Southern itinerary last month and are doing its Western one next month. :D

Cost of us driving to Bayonne is minimal compared to flying to the south and I actually enjoy doing so, taking a scenic, non expressway route if weather permits. It actually takes us less time to get there when one considers all of the actual time involved in flying to southern ports and we are coming from quite a distance, about a seven hour drive. We can get an hotel stay, park and cruise package in Newark that's comparable to what parking at near to our home airports and a hotel near the port cost which is what we did prior to our Freedom cruises last October and Navigator ones a year ago last month. ;)

Also it very flexible in that we can leave earlier than planned if weather is going to be bad or return early if the ship happens to come back earlier than scheduled. :)

This will be our fifth time driving to the NYC area for cruising.

Edited by robtulipe

Their vacation is ruined because the captain and/or RCCL Corporate sailed them right into the middle of hurricane force winds. Don't worry about my cruise. They are incompetent and RCCL won't let you cancel or switch without losing money. We inquired, but that really is none of your business.

Wait so if you are in a storm with hurricane force winds as I was on The transatlantic on Anthem It should have ruined my vacation? Well it didn't.

Captain Andersen was in charge on that sailing too, he did a wonderful job at keeping us informed with multiple weather reports, sailing into the wind. slowing down and speeding up. My other half got very sick. I enjoyed every sway and bounce. I would have been comfortable on this cruise. I would have not felt my cruise would have been ruined. SHIP happens, especially when it comes to mother nature.

12193571_10153465985048381_1718987120700285985_n.jpg?oh=dd6b294b2a7eceef07435ae86ba43f56&oe=5729AD59

Edited by Bosjoe

Just FYI....because this will be a "closed loop" cruise, meaning they never actually stopped anywhere, none of the passengers will have to go through customs. I had this happen on a similar cruise a few years ago. One less hold up, actually....people will be able to just pick up their bags in the terminal and leave.

Actually, a closed loop just means that the ship returns to the port it departed from.

On a "cruise to nowhere", the duty-free goods are not really duty-free, duty has been paid and the price marked up to cover it. Therefore, no need for customs.

In this case, duty has not been paid on the items in the shop, so it's likely that passengers will have to clear customs and declare their purchases.

But we'll only know for sure once they return to port.

Exactly ... so in this case, more so checking for re-entry than for duty. Not sure, where any of the onboard shops even open. If not, then only checking for re-entry into the states for these passengers.

Thanks for posting the link!!

We've had completed cruises where all they did was collect the customs form and wave us through without even checking passports, etc. We've had others where they have checked passports, looked at our form, with purchases over the limit (by a couple hundred) and still sent us on our way.

My bet, is that they will just let people get off the ship and leave, collect the form and wave them through. They are not going to put everyone through the entire process after what they've been through.

The Met is NOT free, and neither is the Ferry. EVERYTHING in NYC is very expensive- a one way subway ride is up to $2.75 per person.

Somebody Else's Troubles

From the late, great, insightful Steve Goodman

Yesterday I went downtown and saw an old-time picture show

And the hero got a pie in the face;

He didn't like that, and he stormed around the screen.

Everybody else was laughin' in that place.

That's 'cause it ain't hard

To get along with somebody else's troubles,

And they don't make you lose any sleep at night.

Just as long as fate is there bustin' somebody else's bubbles,

Everything's gonna be all right.

Tell me, Did you ever have to pay for something that you didn't do,

Did you ever figure out the reason why?

When the doctor says this is gonna hurt me a lot more than this hurts you

Did you ever figure out that, that's a lie?

And I saw the boss come a-walking down along that factory line,

He said, "We all have to tighten up our belts."

But he didn't look any thinner than he did a year ago,

And I wonder just how hungry that man felt.

Now, I asked that undertaker what it took to make him laugh

When all he ever saw is people crying,

First he hands me a bunch of flowers that he'd received on my behalf,

And said, "Steve, business just gets better all the time."

Sent from the computer on my desk using my fingers!

Never thought I'd see Steve Goodman lyrics pop up on Cruise Critic. I like it!